• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reverse racial discrimination - paging Lawyer-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves01

Banned
Why don't you just go to HR with these metrics and ask why you got demoted? If they're that much better than his, you deserve an answer from them.

alphaNoid

Banned
Not sure if you have a case or not, but one things for sure ... it will go on file and on your record and show up in ANY background check that you investigated a former company for <insert reason>

Filing any kind of claim against the company you work for isn't always cut and try, it can affect your future and does for many people. Nobody wants to hire a 'problem' employee and nobody knows that you were a great employee at your last job.. so they tend to pass on you when stuff like this shows up in your background check.

Tread lighty

Maybe you don't do a good enough job of communicating what you do with the higher ups
Maybe you communicate too much over things that are not of much importance to those in charge
Maybe you do not communicate well at all
Maybe you are not as popular with the people making the decisions
Maybe you were getting paid more than he was
Maybe you have skills that are more in line with someone lower in the hierarchy
Maybe you socialize with other co-workers and management feels that your relationship with them can cloud your judgement
Maybe you made a poor first impression on someone in power
Maybe you have an overly optimistic view of the quality of your work
Maybe you have a tendency to blame others for your own failings, a quality that those in charge do not encourage
Maybe a thousand reasons, but the one you went for was "affirmative action"

Circle gets the square.
OP, you should just take your talents to another company...hopefully, you'll learn more about corporate politics from this experience too. Assuming that everything you say is perfectly true, it seems to me that you just weren't skilled enough in forming the right relationships to make the moves you wanted to. In this day and age, even numbers aren't enough. Do yourself a favor though - don't blame any boogeymen like race/affirmative action or whatever for what you don't achieve in the future. Leaders don't make excuses.

This is likely, unfortunately. I'm not a kiss ass... maybe I should learn to be one.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

I have been passed over for promotions while I have seen far less qualified and effective people move ahead for this exact reason. Do what I did and get a new job, I dont have it in me to be a brown noser.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Well said. I'd be confident in saying that we all know someone in our place of work who is still around.
I know whole departments that are "still around".

Why don't you just go to HR with these metrics and ask why you got demoted? If they're that much better than his, you deserve an answer from them.
Just remember, once that trigger is pulled, it doesn't get unpulled.

YoungHav

Banned
OP you lost me at "reverse racial discrimination"...
tumblr_konb5ohgb91qa08fco1_500.jpg
LMAO!

Davidion

Maybe you don't do a good enough job of communicating what you do with the higher ups
Maybe you communicate too much over things that are not of much importance to those in charge
Maybe you do not communicate well at all
Maybe you are not as popular with the people making the decisions
Maybe you were getting paid more than he was
Maybe you have skills that are more in line with someone lower in the hierarchy
Maybe you socialize with other co-workers and management feels that your relationship with them can cloud your judgement
Maybe you made a poor first impression on someone in power
Maybe you have an overly optimistic view of the quality of your work
Maybe you have a tendency to blame others for your own failings, a quality that those in charge do not encourage
Maybe a thousand reasons, but the one you went for was "affirmative action"

That about sums it up.

In addition, probably the biggest lie about careers that we tell our kids as we raise them is that it's "all about performance".

TwiztidElf

Discrimination:
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs

I'll take a stab at reverse discrimination:
Being neutral for no reason at all?

Cyrillus

Oh look, it's another GAF advice thread, where the OP only latches on to the opinions/advice that match his own thoughts, and refutes/ignores any opinions/advice to the contrary!

Xenon

OP seems to be only taking a few factors into consideration. One possibility is if the man is more well liked by the people making the decisions he is less likely to get demoted. The fact that he has been there longer also gives him a few extra points as well. The you have to consider his past performance because his total contribution could be factored into the choice they made.

nyong

Banned
There are lots of reasons apart from racism that someone could wind up in your shoes. Performance isn't everything...hell, it isn't even the most important variable in the US workplace.

That said, if there is a shortage of black managers that could explain it. Lots of companies want to keep up appearances and laying off the lone minority in management is practically begging for a lawsuit.

The truth is, sadly, you will probably never know what happened and why. Best to simply move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom