• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting Resistance 3, Finding Love.

Silky

Banned
There's a couple of spoilers in this

I picked up Resistance 3 again due to the praise from GAF in regards to it's story. I'm a huge fan of the series in regards to the multiplayer, and after playing 3's MP long ago my stance is still this: Insomniac, you can go right to fucking hell for ruining the MP for Resistance. 2's MP was ass, but it was tolerable ass. Should you ever return to the Resistance series after 3, get your fucking priorities straight and focus on what made R:FoM excellent outside of the common issues with that game. 16 player corridor based CoD shooters is /not/ what it should be.

With THAT being said, I bought it again solely to go through the Single Player Campaign. And...I was impressed! Like, really fucking impressed!

Story:
I didn't care about Hale that much so I essentially viewed the story for the previous 2 as invalid and really only focused on Joe and the world surrounding him. What I really liked was during the boat scene with Joe and Co. where different survivors across the world sending their wishes across the radio. It really showed it's mark on what the Chimera has done to fuck up Earth, and how humans are reaching towards it. I think that, other than The Last of Us, Resistance 3 gets the concept of Destroyed Beauty in it's lore and dialogue more than it's predecessors. The characters are written well enough to keep me interested, but it's not saying much--specifically the cast in the Prison chapter of the campaign is where I began to notice the slagging on with some of the character's lines. They felt forced and lazy.

Environment
Once again, Destroyed Beauty is something this game does very fucking well. It's as if every venue and piece of scenery in-game is like "We Never Go To Ravenholm" (a chapter in HL2 I really loved.) Chimeran elements mixed with the Earth's atmosphere is eerie and unsettling--ESPECIALLY when you reach Oklahoma. There's a change in tone that's really noticeable when the game transistions from it's everyday post-apocalyptic Chimera feel to it's downright disturbing and dystopian-like anarchy phase in the Prison episode.

Gunplay
Despite my grief with the MP in R3, it works very well with SP. It's fun and challenging (I played it on Hard difficulty), and of course the weapons are fun to tinker with. (I LOVE the Atomizer, but I hate the Mutator.) The weapon leveling system is cool, if not broken (because by the time you reach the incindiary rounds with the shotgun, everything can essentially go down in one shot.). As with a FPS, Joe becoming a powerhouse mowing down everything in sight seems to be a bit too much for the game's setting (it's 'Despair' not, 'Despair in the cutscenes,' mow down enemy after enemy afterwards, repeat.'). I honestly wish that the game had more moments of Joe's weapons being taken away and having to work from the ground up each time. Adds more variety imo.

Overall, for the price it sells now, Resistance 3 is definitely one of Insomniac's stronger titles. I've never been doubted by the devs ability to make awesome games, outside of All 4 One. It's a game that asks for the player to listen and look at the world than focus on it's general plot line. This is the direction that Insomniac should take the world into...well, either that or those cool Chimera redneck concepts they had in one of those videos. I can't reccommend it enough for the single player.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Loved it. The atmosphere was incredible but after R2 most people weren't willing to give it a shot which is a real shame.

And R:FoM MP was brilliant, loved it.

JP

I felt it was the best of the three games but I still didn't really enjoy it to be honest.

legacyzero

Banned
Sadly, TLoU devoured my PS3 before I could finish this game :(

And I was only about 3 hours into it. That 3 hours was actually amazing.

I enjoyed it too, finished it a month ago, got it for $10

Love, love, love shooting the weapons. It was a great challenge and I really enjoyed managing my health and planning which weapons to use.

Love the artstyle, story was bleh. Could have used more polish.

I have to say, I wish they'd make an XCOM styled game off of Resistance for VITA. Lots to work with for the game. It's too bad that it did so poorly, because it was a good game.

MP was disappointing, but I doubt with the advertising that we'd have full servers of 40v40 games.

A damn shame about the co-op.

Resistance just wasn't strong enough to last against the other shooters IMO.

Also, thank you Insomniac for split screen. It's half the reason I bought the game

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Also the box art is awesome.

LgofGzf.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought Resistance 3 brought the series together at the end. Of course fans like myself were left a tad confused
with which protagonist was which
, but once that
scene opened up during winter in NYC
I was convinced R3 was worth every penny.

I felt the Chimera creatures were a lot larger in FoM, which also was great. Then R2 came along with dodgy city graphics and thinner Chimera.

FoM made the PS3 launch something to remember and I'd personally recommend R3 because it plays on its own for a while and the gun mechanics are fun. I never really got into the multiplayer, but I don't buy FPS for multiplayer anymore.

RE_Player

I thought the game was fantastic. Much better than the 1st and obviously 2nd one. The tone of despair and hopelessness was really well established. That said I did pick it up new for $15 and never touched the multiplayer so maybe that coloured my impressions.

MDSLKTR

Once I finished it it went back to ebgames so fast. I enjoyed it more than resistance 1 (and I'm still keeping that as it was my first ps3 purchase) but a game like that has no business being played in 2013. N64 quality blur.

Bandit1

Great game. Not enough love. I think it's the best in the series. The guns felt good and there were some awesome settings like Capelli's town in Oklahoma, the prison, and then when you reach New York. Fighting against other people was a nice surprise as well. Story was pretty good (not as good as R2) but the ending was a little anti-climatic.
I'd be up for another on PS4

Tokubetsu

My first experience with the series (late PS3 adapter, console came with it) and I absolutely loved it. Great game. I enjoyed multiplayer a lot as well. Had cool atmosphere (yes, I'm aware of the HL2 similarities). Like you said, it does a great job of establishing this world as broken and deeply scarred but not yet lost.

Ending did feel a bit rushed though.

Yeah I loved the game. Too bad the ending was so underwhelming especially after so many years of speculating over the first to episodes and te crazy ending of 2

Salz01

This game was horrible. The last area was good. But the rest was horrible. Still think the first one is great. I still have it and play it every now and then. Not sure why people think the game was good, especially compared against the first one.

scitek

Every time I try to get into this and play it through, the FOV makes me stop. I guess I should move my chair back for it or something.

The Resistance games were just missing...something. Great concept, gameplay was ok...but they all have just felt empty and soulless to me.

Still though, it wasn't a bad game from the bits I had a chance to play at a friends. It just didn't do anything for me, even with the attempt at tackling a more grounded, personal narrative.

TUROK

The Resistance games were just missing...something. Great concept, gameplay was ok...but they all have just felt empty and soulless to me.

Still though, it wasn't a bad game from the bits I had a chance to play at a friends. It just didn't do anything for me, even with the attempt at tackling a more grounded, personal narrative.
The universe just isn't as captivating as something like Halo or Half-Life.

Still, Resistance 3 was utterly fantastic. Resistance 2 was a massive disappointment, but part 3 is criminally underrated.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Resistance 3 is fantastic which surprised me after the really shit first 2 games. Even enjoyed the multiplayer as well. Great times.

Also the box art is awesome.

LgofGzf.jpg

the reversible cover was perfection.

The only black on the cover aside from the title is the man with a gun, so your eye is drawn to that. Then you look up to see the NY skyline he's heading toward. Then you notice the alien face. You know he's on a journey to NY and since NY is in the skull, the feeling that the city is in the clutches of this/these monster(s) is conveyed well.

The best SP of any FPS game I've played this generation.... Really feels like a real adventure.

The fact that the game was ignored by many of the FPS fans breaks my heart :(

Bishop89

Loved it.
I want to go back to it eventually, but at the same time i dont because ive had trouble uninstalling it in the past and cant be bothered going through all again

Jay-T

this game cam bundled with my PS3 (and a bluray movie called battlefield LA), i tried the first couple of missions and never played it again, the IQ was killing my eyes :(

is it worth playing if i've never played the prequels?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yes, it's a great game.

Reminds me that I've still got to finish cooping through it with my friend. We got to New York then took a break and never went back.

Playing thru it again, and after playing 1-2 right before, these story changes r kinda major. They grounded 3 more and it u take it apart from the rest of the games, it's story is ok, but as of continuity, especially when R1 starts off with "this is the story of Nathan hale" only to have him not be in the 3rd game, it's lousy.

Gameplay, I love insomniac when they aren't making Fuse and Ratchet & Clank party games

kuYuri

I quite enjoyed the game when I played it a few months back, but I had some issues that very much ruined my experience with it.

The biggest one was audio sync issues. Most of the time, the audio was a second or so behind what was happening on screen. For example, if I kill a Chimeran enemy soldier, I would hear it's death scream like a second or so later. Really took me out of it.

One of my favourite FPS campaigns ever. The arsenal and atmosphere are top notch. I remember so many great moments, the journey really stuck with me, tons of fun encounters.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Imo this is the best sp fps on the PS3. Apart from a small stint on R2 this was actually the first Resistance I played, still haven't started #1 despite it sitting on my shelf for 3yrs. I believe I gave it quite a favorable review as well.

Shame so many ignored it after #2 but I don't blame them.

Feindflug

Imo this is the best sp fps on the PS3. Apart from a small stint on R2 this was actually the first Resistance I played, still haven't started #1 despite it sitting on my shelf for 3yrs. I believe I gave it quite a favorable review as well.

Shame so many ignored it after #2 but I don't blame them.

R1 and R3 were great games, too bad they are both quite underrated and under appreciated even among the PS3 fanbase.

After reading this thread I want to replay the game on the Hard difficulty, I still have some SP trophies to get. :p

JP

I still have data from the game on my system and it appears corrupted. I try to delete it and it just reboots my system.
If you can't delete it the normal way (It may take a very long if it is corrupted so be patient with it) you can usually do it via the PlayStation 3 Recovery Menu after starting in Safe Mode.

From what you're saying I'd the Restore File System option (sounds scary but it's not) will probably remedy it. If not it's worth trying Rebuild Database (Again, safe to do) but I don't think it will help with this, it's probably good to do that anyway to give your console a bit of a spring clean and it may speed the system up a bit if you haven't done it for a while.

Neither of the options I've mentioned are destructive so it's not going to damage and I've used the Recovery Menu a few times and it's been brilliant but I would always say that like anything else you do it at your own risk. Please bear in mind that with corrupted data it can take a quite some time for the system to resolve the problems so again, be patient with it.

The corrupted data issue seemed to have been quite common with R3 for some reason and I had the same issue myself.

If you're not sure how to start your PS3 in Safe Mode or want to know what each of the Recovery Menu options do then have a look at this video as it's the best I could for you. Hope this works for you and the other people who are having the same problems. :)

EDIT:
Have to admit that I loved the R3 cover too.

A very enjoyable SP FPS game. Loved the return of healthpacks, multiple weapons, awesome atmosphere and art. The only thing I hated was
the bastard that just killed the possible savior of mankind. Strangely, most memorable scene of the game for me

Top Bottom