• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Appreciation Thread

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
With the generation drawing to a close, I would like to take a look one more time at what I think is one of the best shooters from this generation: Resistance 3. Unfortunately, not many people haven given Resistance 3 a try because Insomniac salted the earth with the offensive Resistance 2, so to this day I think it is largely ignored in this discussion by the hardcore. Resistance 3 is an inventive, creative shooter with a richly detailed, well realized world that builds on the themes and gameplay of Resistance 1 and why the first game became so popular with the hardcore community, and it deserves your attention if you've never tried it.

Destroyed Beauty

Resistance 3 finally delivers on the IP's promise of immersing players in a world ravaged by an alien menace. The war is over in this game and humanity lost. Things are pretty dire and for the first time you actually get that impression. The game uses an oppressive color palette and impressive weather effects that really convey the ominous predicament humanity has found itself in. I think the game's environmental art is superb and firmly differentiates itself from Resistance 2, where the concept art barely resembled what shipped in the game.

When the game starts, you immediately get a sense for how shitty just everything is. People live in shitty little underground labyrinths basically hiding to survive. As the game kicks into high gear and the player emerges from his burrow, you really get a sense for just how destroyed and dilapidated everything actually is. I also like the return of the sense of mystery that was in the first game. Some of the environments draw on the very classic "ubi sunt" motif that I find is criminally underused in games these days, asking players to consider what has happened to humanity since the last game. It further reinforces the idea that things have really not gone well.

2Z2gsCe.jpg

gtexxjO.jpg

R5D8Jpe.jpg

vPFSDLW.jpg

Though the game is really quite subHD, the lighting is really superb and the weather effects make up for it.

iX5xu.gif

ibycVDswU8sHhD.gif

Mixing Things Up

The gameplay further distinguishes the game from its shitacular, war criminal-like prequel by offering players a delicious mix of what made the first game good with modern trends in the shooting genre. The weapon wheel makes its return and regenerating health sees its way mercifully out the door.

The weapons in the game never quite reach the craziness of the first (bring back the Hailstorm!), but Insomniac pretty smartly merged the weapon upgrade system of Ratchet with the weapon wheel of Resistance 1 for a very satisfying and addictive system. As you use weapons, they level up and gain abilities. The shotgun, for example, gains the ability to ignite enemies as you fire on them, which is ^___^ so fun ^___^ to see and feel. The sniper rifles can slow down time, the assault rifles gain secondary fire abilities, and so on and so forth. You'll have many ways to tackle any situation because you'll always have every weapon with you.

Doing away with regenerating health is like taking off a straight jacket when it comes to FPS design. The game doesn't rely on boring health recharging + chest high walls; instead players are asked to think on their feet to find tactical positions to take down enemies quickly and efficiently. Health packs are bright green and stand out nicely in the environment so it becomes easy to design the perfect "line" in your head on how you want to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

Encounters are designed to encourage the player to take advantage of the unique capabilities of his arsenal. Some enemies are best dispatched with the stealthy protection of the Augur, others require you tag them with the bullseye and dart around avoiding fire. Level design is generally more open than competing shooters, with bombed out buildings, destroyed villages, and other open air settings creating multiple possibilities per encounter.

And yes, big battles against. large monsters return.

Finding an Identity

Resistance 1 took a lot of flack for failing to really do anything original or unique, particularly in the art and music department. I think this is largely an unfair criticism generated by the early portion of the game, but if it were false then, it were certainly true in the sequel. Nathan Hale becomes a military grunt barking orders, the game becomes about a "squad of elite soldiers" fighting off endless waves of alien armies. Resistance 3 really tries very hard to make its mark on the genre in a way the second one was unable.

I think one of the most important things in Resistance 3 is the way the music changed from the first and second games. Pieces likeTerraformer, The Fall of Haven Town, and Into the Fog really set the tone for the panicked destruction that takes place in those environments. Also importantly is the way the game tries to strike a more somber note with pieces like Pray for Us and Tell Susan I Loved Her to keep the player from feeling consistently hopeless. I think the music in the game is actually identifiable and original compared to the more lifeless military drumbeats of the earlier titles.

Resistance 3 has a real style. Even the cutscene that plays while the game is installing is neat. Finally, I feel like the artists behind the game have creative control over what they're doing and they produce a really consistent (and consistently bleak) tone that is appropriate for the game.

Multiplayer

no1curr sorry

Plot Hole or Worm Hole

I think the game does a fairly good job of wrapping up the franchise, but it definitely is not the direct sequel to the plotline of the first and second that many wanted. We effectively find out that the humans triumph and what happens to Capelli and his wife, but we don't really see how things happen. The game does not really explain anything about the worm hole, the origin of the Chimera, the Chimera vs. Pure Chimera stuff, the Cloven stuff, etc. All of that lore that was built in the first and second game is kind of ignored. But I feel the plot for this game on its own is satisfying and self-contained.

Anyway I really like this title and I was sad it got sent to die in 2011. It was definitely the best game Sony put out in 2011 and it deserved a lot more attention. I guess the dreadful Resistance 2 ruined any hope it had of making it big but it came out with nary a peep. Y'all should play it. It's hellafun. And we're never getting another one so pig out!

JB1981

I always found it strange how Capelli went from "that douche from R2" to the gruff, heroic family man in game 3.

Y2Kev

I always found it strange how Capelli went from "that douche from R2" to the gruff, heroic family man in game 3.

They just needed someone to star in the game after they killed Hale and didn't know what to do, lol.

Series was already dead at this point. It was a nice game single player wise. The multiplayer still has too much bullshit like R2's abomination. Needed to be more like the first game.

JawzPause

Thank you for making this thread. R3 has one of, if not the best fps campaigns this gen and it made me sad to see it so overlooked.
I hope insomniac come back to the series one day for PS4.

JB1981

They just needed someone to star in the game after they killed Hale and didn't know what to do, lol.

I know but you have Resistance diehards claiming that was IG's plan all along. All 3 games feel decidedly different from one another. The series lacked a clear overarching vision, that's why people abandoned it IMO

Yes! Great thread.

To me, what made R3 really enjoyable was the sense of atmosphere it produced, especially the
shift closer to the end of the game where you end up fighting other humans rather than chimera, That added a layer of depth that, to me, made the game a lot more interesting than the straight-up nature of 1 and 2

But overall, the graphics, music, and innovative, fun weapons made it a really pleasant surprise. It's not one of those experiences that 'tops all others', but it just felt like a really solid, very under-appreciated game.

I love the town you start out in. There's these broken down Chimera vehicles on the side of the road that all overgrown, great bit of implied storytelling there.

The health system is perfect, the arsenal is huge and varied, the atmosphere is wonderful... fucking great game. At least the series went down swinging.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Great game, too bad they didn't add R2 like co-op to it instead of the crappy MP it shipped with.

Now they sold their soul to MS and EA, I guess it is possible someone else picks up the mantle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've been meaning to play this for yonks. I'll be borrowing a mate's PS3 in the near future so I can play The Last of Us and I'll have to remind myself to run through Resistance 3 before giving it back.

Y2Kev

I love the town you start out in. There's these broken down Chimera vehicles on the side of the road that all overgrown, great bit of implied storytelling there.

The health system is perfect, the arsenal is huge and varied, the atmosphere is wonderful... fucking great game. At least the series went down swinging.

It got up for a second wind on Vita and promptly got roundhouse'd to the face. :)

I'd say the only negative about the health system was that when you are low on health, the screen would glow red AND the health icon thing would pulse. Sensory overload. It becomes a distraction. The health icon is on screen at all times; I can see it just fine, Insom.

I forgot to mention how much I love the beginning of this game. The whole first level or so until you get on the boat is really masterful. Incredible tension and great pacing.

The setting where you fight the first boss in the small town was simply beautiful, graphics still look great. Weapon wheel was back, no regen health, basically they fixed everything in R2, shame about the ending not putting things to an end.

ShogunX

Both Resistance 3 and Insomniac have been shit on since they revealed Sunset Overdrive and the fact that the Resistance 3 leads are heading up the game.

I enjoyed the third Resistance game for what it was and it went a long way towards fixing the harm to the series that R2 had done. For me the first Resistance is still the superior game mainly due to the narrative and multiplayer.

And_Boy

Have bought it recently.

So far, the atmosphere is amazing (reminds me of Half Life 2 forest; Ravenholm). Never thought I will be pleased by the guns, which feels very nice (fun!). Also surprised there is no health regeneration :)

Absolutely awesome game, I still need to go out and get the first 2 games, even though I never played them I loved Resistance 3. I would love it if Insomniac came back to Sony and made a sequel, even though they said they were basically done with the franchise. Like you said, it really found and identity with 3, and they could grow that identity with another entry.

Bradach

I throughly enjoyed the SP. completely agree with the oppressive atmosphere mentioned in the op. The pacing was excellent too often allowing the player to take a break and soak up the atmosphere. The wind effects are the best I've possibly ever seen. decent move implementation (except for ADS) was the cherry on this fine cake.

Valtýr

Resistance 2 was one of the most offensive games I've played this generation.

Which is why I never played this.

I think I'll play it one day. Maybe next summer.

Carl

It was alright. Far better than the shitfest of Resistance 2 but in my opinion still lacking everything that made FoM so interesting and fun.

The story was pretty good, but the ending was terrible. Seeing as Insomniac knew it would be the last game in the series (from them, at least) they could have given the ending a bit more closure. I didn't like that there were loose ends (don't ask me what they were because i can't remember and fucked if i'm playing through it again).

Still, a good effort after destroying the series with R2.

It got up for a second wind on Vita and promptly got roundhouse'd to the face. :)

I'd say the only negative about the health system was that when you are low on health, the screen would glow red AND the health icon thing would pulse. Sensory overload. It becomes a distraction. The health icon is on screen at all times; I can see it just fine, Insom.

I forgot to mention how much I love the beginning of this game. The whole first level or so until you get on the boat is really masterful. Incredible tension and great pacing.

Oh shit yeah I totally forgot about the Vita game (which I haven't played but intend to someday). Well, it was nice to see Insomniac realize their vision after some missteps.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Have bought it recently.

So far, the atmosphere is amazing (reminds me of Half Life 2 forest; Ravenholm). Never thought I will be pleased by the guns, which feels very nice (fun!). Also surprised there is no health regeneration :)

I hate that we're in a time where a game not having health regeneration is a nice surprise.

VanWinkle

Campaign was awesome, but I felt like the took a huge step down with multiplayer by making it so similar to many other FPS's on the market.

RoKKeR

I have a PS3 for a few more weeks - should I pick this up on the cheap and run through it? Liked what I read in the OP.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Valtýr;67274836 said:
Resistance 2 was one of the most offensive games I've played this generation.

Which is why I never played this.

I think I'll play it one day. Maybe next summer.

I consider Resistance 2 easily down there with Turning Point, Bodycount, Rogue Warrior and Shellshock 2 as one of the worst crimes against FPS. Resistance 3 however is awesome, definitely give it a shot :) It's actually what led me to keep an eye on Insomniac and I ended up really enjoying FUSE as well.

Looking forward to seeing how Sunset Overdrive turns out as well.

Awntawn

Really wanted to pick this up. Best Buy had it for sale online for $10, after a few weeks of backorder they decided not to honor it anymore and just cancelled my order :/

Seemed kind of sketchy, felt like they threw it up on clearance just to get rid of them, and after they saw how much interest it had just decided not to honor the deal and pretend it was out of stock.

hawk2025

So much fun.

I really, really enjoyed the campaign and will play through it again very soon, I still have tons to do and level up :)

Zukuu

Banned
After the POS R2's Co-Op was, I never bothered with 3. R1 was incredible fun in co-op. Does R3 has the same shit of a co-op?

This was great. I never played the previous two since I wasn't impressed by the demo for the first.

I only wish the setting was taken advantage of more in this one. I suppose the '50s aesthetic would really work since the world was at war with aliens for so long though

rbanke

I love the universe they built and am sad that we likely won't see any more of it. I even like Resistance 2 and am unashamed of saying so. Resistance 3 was my favorite of the series, but while it did attempt to wrap up some things, it really felt as if it were a side story. I've read both books and played all the games and am still missing huge chunks of information. I'm hopeful Sony will either reboot it or give it to someone else (since Insomniac said they are done with it).

weapons and overall gameplay is amazing. but lack of scale, lack of memorable set pieces (contraty to first two) and terrible terrible unfolding of the story.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
After the POS R2's Co-Op was, I never bothered with 3. R1 was incredible fun in co-op. Does R3 has the same shit of a co-op?

No it has campaign coop. R3's multiplayer is more like standard COD fair though I personally really enjoyed that. Never liked 1s multi or 2's awful coop.

Top Bottom