• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Appreciation Thread

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Best FPS single player campaign this gen.

edit: plus that awesome cover art.

resistance3_cover-1.gif

Acrylic7

I only like the first Resistance :/

In RE3 I got to the part where
he foolishly drops out out of a plane where they introduced the stealth/sniper Chimera
, an called it quits.

Sorral

I didn't even realize until after I had read the books that she's like Hale's stepsister or something. Kinda dumb.

I don't know about it being 'dumb'. Unexpectedly silly is more like it. He killed her stepbrother, so I'd bet that he felt responsible to take care of her and all that. I would think that she doesn't blame him for killing her brother either as Hale really turned and I don't think anyone of his family would like to see him turn like Shepherd did in Resistance 2.

....I guess I still remember it all.

Best FPS single player campaign this gen.

edit: plus that awesome cover art.

resistance3_cover-1.gif

Olly Moss made it spot on with the cover. This video is based on it and it is very well done.

Edit: Hey Y2Kev, may want to add spoiler filled or something in title or in OP. I don't think I put spoiler tags on anything I said throughout the thread either not sure if it matters now though. Sorry about that.
Another thing to remember is that deleting the R3 data in a hard drive takes about 45 mins also.

kitzkozan

I'm gonna give the series a shot and buy the collection. :p Even if Resistance 2 is weak, might as well enjoy the ride with the low and high. If Resistance 3 possess the best SP campaign, it will end on a high note. ;) I really appreciated the SP campaign of Bulletstorm so looking forward to what R3 might hold if it's among the best of the generation.

Strike

Very good game, but felt more like a side story than a full-fledged sequel. R2 really did botch what could have been a great series. Such wasted potential.

NZNova

Great game, great thread. I'm glad you pointed out the change with the health packs - I played R2 and then R3 in one go and I remember thinking during the game that the game was so much better with the health packs. You have to be careful, and when you have taken a lot of damage you find yourself weighing up your options and taking risks to get to the next health pack instead of the boring old bullshit of hiding behind a wall until your health comes back.

Duxxy3

Shit, now that I think about it I think I beat more games from insomniac this generation than any other single developer.

All 3 Ratchet and Clank ps3 games and all 3 Resistance ps3 games.

Gadirok

Shit, now that I think about it I think I beat more games from insomniac this generation than any other single developer.

When you put it that way, I just realized I played more games from Insomniac this generation as well.

Resistance 1,2,3 along with Tools of Destruction, All 4 1, and the remastered HD collection of Ratchet and clank games 1-3. Though I played up your arsenal last generation.

Massa

Most people don't appreciate how important they were for Sony in the early years of the PS3.

By the end of 2009, number of PS3 games released:

Insomniac: 4
Naughty Dog: 2
Guerrilla: 1
Sony Santa Monica: 0

Yawnier

Banned
Most people don't appreciate how important they were for Sony in the early years of the PS3.

By the end of 2009, number of PS3 games released:

Insomniac: 4
Naughty Dog: 2
Guerrilla: 1
Sony Santa Monica: 0

Yep, and it is mostly their games on the early years of the system that I found the best too (except for R3 which was a later year game and really great).

PaulloDEC

I really enjoyed R3, definitely a lot more than R2 (though I actually quite liked that one too). Really enjoyed the return to health packs, and loads of the environments stick in my memory (the rainy segments and the forests in particular).

I-hate-u

Its such a shame that Insomniac dumped the Resistance series after the best one. Very sad. They had made an awesome new flare to the series that had potential to grow beyond the origin scope of the franchise.

Anyway, HHG was reporting that next year Sony is going to tout year of the 4. With a major focus on PS4 in 2014 and the release of Uncharted 4, God of War 4 and Resistance 4. Resistance 4 is supposedly being made by a different developer.

Yawnier

Banned
Its such a shame that Insomniac dumped the Resistance series after the best one. Very sad. They had made an awesome new flare to the series that had potential to grow beyond the origin scope of the franchise.

Anyway, HHG was reporting that next year Sony is going to tout year of the 4. With a major focus on PS4 in 2014 and the release of Uncharted 4, God of War 4 and Resistance 4. Resistance 4 is supposedly being made by a different developer.

After this video we got last year from Ted Price. I would be very surprised if we get a Resistance 4 in any form whatsoever. But then again, a different developer now? Hmmmm....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGnh9ze5KTQ

I-hate-u

I haven't played the game, but by all reports Sony Bend did a good job with Resistance Retribution. I can see them taking a shot at the franchise moving forward.

jonabbey

I loved the first so much, then they had to kill off Hale in the second, both narratively and with the gameplay. The third was great, but I wasn't hooked with the protagonist, and wound up dropping out at the boat level. Much better graphics and atmosphere than the second one, of course.

Series was already dead at this point. It was a nice game single player wise. The multiplayer still has too much bullshit like R2's abomination. Needed to be more like the first game.

except it is like the first game, it's an almost downright carbon copy of it in terms of plot, taking the occasional potshot at R2 while it's at it.

Including the quite ludicrous premise during the ending, if we take R2's plot seriously that is. I felt like two things to me: damage control of the series (give the people what they want, which is the R1 carbon copy) and putting the franchise in suspended animation, by, again, the premise of the ending.

spoiler of that ending:
the US being freed of Chimera control, thereby resetting the franchise to the start of the first game.

Sorral

except it is like the first game, it's an almost downright carbon copy of it in terms of plot, taking the occasional potshot at R2 while it's at it.

Including the quite ludicrous premise during the ending, if we take R2's plot seriously that is. I felt like two things to me: damage control of the series (give the people what they want, which is the R1 carbon copy) and putting the franchise in suspended animation, by, again, the premise of the ending.

spoiler of that ending:
the US being freed of Chimera control, thereby resetting the franchise to the start of the first game.

In reply to your spoiler, check the ending credits and
listen to the radio chat that occurs. It is world-wide pretty much. Not just a US reset to the plot. Watch the pictures that are between the names as well. Basically, the world is being rebuilt. I don't consider this to be a suspend animation as it says humans won and chimeras lost. Though they can be clever in rebooting it of course.

Ashes

Banned
The first 8/10ths are great and all, but it kind of falls flat near the end. The last twenty percent is very different to the first 20. If the excellence of the first 80pc carried on, it would had easily joined the fps greats of the gen.

verbatimo

How long is the single player campaign compared to ex. Half-Life 2 ?

I hope the R3 camping is not like Call of Duty short.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I always got the feeling that the series wasnt done. I expected there to be another game. I expected an explanation of some kind. Looks like I will probably never get it. The game was really good, its a shame more people didnt pick it up.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I always found it strange how Capelli went from "that douche from R2" to the gruff, heroic family man in game 3.

What gets me is that Hale's sister marries him. Is he the last guy on earth or something? Oh wait....

I liked all three games (the latter two more than the first). R3 felt like Metro 2033 done U.S.-style and with aliens.

TripOpt55

I really loved the campaign though I thought it was rather short (no matter how many games release short campaigns, I will not accept it). I think the fact that they ignored all the lore kind of stunk too. Otherwise I loved it. Great fun. The R&C style weapon upgrade system was such a good addition. Great campaign overall. Didn't get much into the multi.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Doing away with regenerating health is like taking off a straight jacket when it comes to FPS design. The game doesn't rely on boring health recharging + chest high walls; instead players are asked to think on their feet to find tactical positions to take down enemies quickly and efficiently. Health packs are bright green and stand out nicely in the environment so it becomes easy to design the perfect "line" in your head on how you want to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

Ok I will play this game.

Wozman23

I wholeheartedly approve of this message.

R2 was a bit of a misstep, but R3 came back strong to be the best in the series and one of the greatest FPS ever made. The epic journey of the campaign, the bold choices for the prison section, the mutator, and the atomizer's alt fire were all brilliant. Plus the series properly returned to its roots with the weapon wheel, segmented health, and even went further adding weapon upgrades.

Sales numbers were pathetic and in no way indicative of the game's quality. It still breaks my heart that Insomniac has abandoned the franchise. There were so many possibilities; so much was left unexplored:

I wanted to collect gray tech and build Resistance's RYNO equivalent. I wanted to take it to the Chimeran Homeworld. I wanted to see the Pure Chimera. I wanted to wipe them out then face an even greater danger with the hinted at other alien race that initially drove the Chimera from earth. By going in that direction, enemy types, weapons, and environments could have been completely different.

That could have served as some sort of reboot. But it looks like we'll never see another entry.

h#shdem0n

I think this is one of the first games I bought for my PS3 (I came in at the 4th quarter 2 minute warning), and the second one I beat. The first was Bayonetta.

Now, context here is important. I was returning from a 8 year console gaming hiatus. In fact I nearly abandoned gaming entirely save for the oddball PC game here and there: Painkiller, The Suffering, Planescape: Torment (never beat it), Serious Sam, flirted with Peggle.

Late last year I had an impulse to return to my hobby of childhood and early adolescence. Having skipped out on the gaming scene just as the Xbox 360 was coming out, I was very easily impressed then. I'm sure I'm still pretty bright eyed and not jaded relative to someone who never stopped following the medium.

With this in mind, Resistance 3 blew me away. I was playing Halo: Reach around the same time and thought Resistance was much better, although they do have significant mechanical differences. I loved the atmosphere of R3 and the graphics were the best I'd ever seen when I first played it. I still think it's a beautiful game.

I love the intensity of the combat. I found it to be a damn difficult game (I'm no good at FPS), but since it takes place after the invasion has nearly succeeded, the difficulty makes sense. It's an uphill battle. It seemed very polished and detailed, and I loved the fact that some of the levels had horror elements to them. The pacing was good, and I liked how the game didn't really hold your hand. It was easy to get lost but I think, at least for this game, that's better than a constant all knowing HUD.

But it's not all rainbow kisses. Resistance 3 had a story that was good enough to keep me invested in the game. I cared about it enough to want to know what happened next, but I barely remember the plot at all. I remember certain moments that were effective, like that level where you ride the boat with the other guy. But I can't remember the other guys name. So, I will have to say one of the weakest aspects of Resistance 3 is it' story. It may be among the better in the genre, but most FPS have terrible stories.

I still need to go back and play Resistance: Fall of Man.

ERC198X

Banned
yeah this thread makes me sad, but in a good way

it was a fun rollercoaster ride that fell just short of perfection due to the ending, but my personal score is a 9.8 out of 10

I REALLY REALLY hope they make a resistance retribution sequel on vita. i want to know WHAT HAPPENED to James Grayson after the chimeran virus took a hold of him.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Best FPS on PS3, easily. At least when it comes to SP.

I fucking LOVE this game. Gonna replay it in 3D with the Sharpshooter soon.

The 3D really kills the framerate. I tried to get over it, but I had a headache within the first 10 minutes. 30 doesn't bother me, but I think R3 gets down into the teens when you have 3D on.

Fantastic game. Insomniac is so good at coming up with creative weapons. Combat never got dull thanks to the awesome variety in strategic options.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been avoiding posting in this thread because I really can't seem to articulate why I didn't care much for this game. I enjoyed many aspects of the campaign but whenever I see such high praise for it, I can't figure out why it's deserved. Maybe the terrible ending left a bad aftertaste. I got it for $10 and had no expectations so I just can't figure out why I didn't like it more than I did.

When I see people praising it like this it makes me feel like I need to play it again as if I missed something.

Dremark

Banned
If only you could combine the SP of R3, MP of R1 and Cooop of R2. That would make a mighty fine game.

Realistically they could have done that but decided to not bother with the co-op and made the multiplayer a bad COD clone.

I think the campaign for the first game was better than the third, but the third at least had a good one. Unfortunately everything else about the game was a complete waste.

Dremark

Banned
I've been avoiding posting in this thread because I really can't seem to articulate why I didn't care much for this game. I enjoyed many aspects of the campaign but whenever I see such high praise for it, I can't figure out why it's deserved.

I don't feel that it is. The campaign is pretty good but nothing spectacular and everything else is a total wash. I wish I had spent $10 on it like you did instead of $60.

Good game but overall plot,ending and story is a fuckin train wreck..so much disappoint, even r2 handled it better...was literally done with insomniac after this but sunset overdrive gives me hope..

and oh, here's to hoping r4 sees the light of the day and is more like r1

Radec

I like R3 but cmon, Killzone 2 had a better SP than Resistance 3. Killzone 2 is easily the best FPS on PS3.

KZ2 is great, but not R3 great.

R3 had variety on weapons and enemies.

Not to mention you are really alone in that game.

Also, non-regenerating health and weapon wheel.

mollipen

Multiplayer

no1curr sorry

WHAT?! NO!

I love the multiplayer in R3. Love it. In fact, I just played it again this weekend! All of the weapons are fun, balance is nice, and I can't begin to state how much I adore the maps. Not only are they fun and well designed, but they're visually beautiful and bursting with color and life.

Multiplayer was pretty frustrating when the game first launched, because there were so many modes and it could be hard to find a game in any of them. Things really improved when they cut the number of modes down, an even now I can typically find a match very quick when I go into Team Deathmatch. (Though, solo Deathmatch seems pretty dead at this point.)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I hated R3 MP.

I still think R1's Chimera/Human style balance was awesome. It had a complex simplicity, fighting game kinda feel to it. No perk, kill streak power-up BS that frankly, I think only CoD4 had done well. R1 is one of the best MP shooter experiences this gen.

they should've built on R1's MP ideas instead of throwing it all away.

That and R1's Auger riffle was the best iteration by far.

Vibranium

Banned
Personally I think if another Resistance game is made they should go with James Grayson as the protagonist in Russia
He was infected at the end, but maybe found inhibitors or doesn't need them to stop the virus
, that guy was awesome I didn't even own a PSP or Retribution. I loved how he pretty much had a suicide mission, he had no love for the military anymore and no sappy family sob-story like Capelli. Plus he had a great sense of cynical sarcasm. So yeah, get Sony Bend to make the next game a follow up to Retribution on PS4.

I will agree that Resistance 3 had a good single player campaign, but it was t great. It lacked the epic scale and battles of the previous games. The story sucked in my opinion. It was too much of a one man vs. the universe crap we've seen in too many cheesy games. At least in previous titles Nathan Hale had allies and the story with him being infected with the Chimera virus helped explain why he was so powerful.

The MP is where the game really faltered. It was straight up awful. A pathetic CoD rip off right down to the interface. Gone was the large scale epic battles that made the game stand out. In its place? Lame ass kill streaks and buffs straight out of CoD.

The game sold poorly and deserved to. Next time stick to what makes a series great instead of trying to rip off what makes another series popular.

JoeFenix

My favorite FPS of the gen, weapons felt absolutely perfect and the upgrade mechanic was really fun. Great variety of enemies and environments, some decent boss battles and great atmosphere.

Knowing that the R3 leads are working on Sunset Overdrive kinda makes me sad that it's X1 exclusive but oh well...

Top Bottom