• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Pricing Re-Emerges: "Less Than $299".

Tarazet

After seeing the DS go from gimmick to must-have almost overnight, I'll be on board for the Rev. It'll be worth it for the novelty alone, because it will certainly be different than anything I own currently.

drohne said:
good lord. nintendo shouldn't even be thinking about the upper half of that range. they lost any right to think about it when they came up lame in the hardware race.

Why do you come to Nintendo threads really.... :lol

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
* President Iwata Satoshi of Nintendo <7974> stated that it "was it about a price of game airplane "revolution" (a tentative name) for next generation families developing it on 27th in a price Zone different from U.S. Microsoft (MS) and game airplane of Sony computer entertainment" (SCE) and showed a thought I controlled a price, and to release in lower than 39795 yen of "Xbox360" which MS released this month. In addition, I clarified that domestic total shipment number of mobile model game machine "&#12491;&#12531;&#12486;&#12531;&#12489;&#12540; DS" that it released in December, last year exceeded 5,000,000.&#12288;

:lol :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I'll decide what I think is a reasonable price once I know what the system is actually capable of. But I won't actually purchase the console, whatever the "reasonable" launch price for the hardware, until it is sub-£150...because I am poor this year

drohne said:
good lord. nintendo shouldn't even be thinking about the upper half of that range. they lost any right to think about it when they came up lame in the hardware race.

lost what right, you all talk like you know what is in the machine. the machine is efficent thatis what nintnedo does efficent machine with great software. you all are hoping for nintnedo to fail. you all knwo deep inside that when you see the games youall will be like that shit lloks good on that tiny machine with zero horsepower. i buy console for quality software not specs.

games need to stop following the hype and smell the coffe. great graphics does not translate to great game. great game comprose of great graphics, great gameplay and fuckigngreat story. so gt4 could look like a real car and still handle like shit.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
MrSardonic said:
I'll decide what I think is a reasonable price once I know what the system is actually capable of. But I won't actually purchase the console, whatever the "reasonable" launch price for the hardware, until it is sub-£150...because I am poor this year

When people talk about not paying a higher price unless the system is 'capable' of things what are they actually referring to?

Surely if it provided the most fun gaming experiences ever it's worth the higher price regardless of anything else?

SomeDude

Banned
Nintendo sold GameCube for 200 bucks back in 2001. I really see no reason at all to sell this over 150 by the end of 2006. If it releases with killer apps, then maybe 200. But I don't think they would be losing much if they sold it for 150, and everyone knows that 3rd party support will be ass (which is less incentive to buy).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
monkeyrun said:
yes because we all know that the 512MB flash mem only cost 90 cents, the revmote only cost 10 dollar and the rest of the case and stuff only cost like 14 dollars.

OMG YOU HAVE INSIDE DETAILS?

jett

D-Member
Pellham said:
Is that because you're poor or you suck at trolling? :p

It's because it's true. :p I, personally, wouldn't pay more than $100 on a secondary console. Beisdes, I already got burned with the gamecube.

Yamauchi

Banned
$200 seems a bit high considering it will be the last console to launch, perhaps having a worse launch line-up than the 360. It will also be the most underpowered. I think I'll wait for the price to drop to around $150.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
If it's over 200 us, it better have unlimited free downloads of every classic NES, SNES and N64 title from Nintendo included.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
olimario said:
I'd imagine the 512MB of memory space are going to jack up the price a bit.

:lol

if Nintendo pays more than $10 per flash card they're getting ripped off. Hell, my company gives out 512 USB flash sticks to clients as part of our marketing kits.

Deg

Banned
I'll decide what I think is a reasonable price once I know what the system is actually capable of.

108MB RAM :lol :lol :lol :lol

Nerevar said:
:lol

if Nintendo pays more than $10 per flash card they're getting ripped off. Hell, my company gives out 512 USB flash sticks to clients as part of our marketing kits.

Cost hardly anything. Flash memory is so cheap nowadays. But i guess they want to take advantage of people who dont have clue by overpricing it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Deg said:
108MB RAM :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cost hardly anything. Flash memory is so cheap nowadays. But i guess they want to take advantage of people who dont have clue by overpricing it.
His smilie images just gave me a virus, please ban him.

Amir0x said:
maybe the higher price range would be justified by Revolution's other "secret."

I thought that pertained to the controller? I'm not sure that will be a factor.

And it's silly to say what price is too much, simply because we haven't seen what it can do.
We have unofficial tech specs from IGN, hardly anything to pass judgement on.

littlewig

Banned
Amir0x said:
maybe the higher price range would be justified by Revolution's other "secret."

Inconveivable, Nintendo is only out to steal money from the consumers with their cheap hardware.

108MB :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

monkeyrun

littlewig said:
Inconveivable, Nintendo is only out to steal money from the consumers with their cheap hardware.

108MB :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
yes because we all know that companies are supposed to lose money to consumers.

why don't you move to some communist country while you are at it.

masud

Banned
I think the rev is pretty high tech if you concider it's size (about 1/4th the size of PS3/360 now and it might get even smaller.) That's not even taking into account the tech in the remote. 250$ seems good to me.

Xellotah

Nintendo may price the revolution in relation to the competition. It's a new machine, so they have no need to price it cheap, only cheaper. If Sony and MS keep the prices above $300, I can see Nintendo pricing it at $250.

Remember, Nintendo are not competing on Specs. so why would they necessarily price the revolution depending on how the specs fall with regard to their competitors.

Still .. I think the Rev will be launched at $199, only because that is what they have always done. In fact they probably used $199 as the starting point and then built a machine that would be profitable at that price point.

Amir0x

Banned
citrus lump said:
I thought that pertained to the controller? I'm not sure that will be a factor.

And it's silly to say what price is too much, simply because we haven't seen what it can do.
We have unofficial tech specs from IGN, hardly anything to pass judgement on.

I believe the controller was the biggest secret, but they said there is definitely something else they have not yet revealed that plays a major role.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
Sounds like $249.99 to me....

I think they'd test the waters with that price, since after all, it is notably cheaper than the competition, but also because this console really is a wild card - there's no telling what kind of consumer reaction there will be; it could be a bomba of epic proportions, but it may also shock the industry and observers with a stunning success. Why not find out before cutting back on price?

Also, does anyone have any idea what kind of cost went into the development and manufacturing of the gyroscopic-ish controller? Perhaps that plays a role in the pricing.

Lastly, might Joe blow consumer look upon Nintendo's new unit as impressive cutting edge technology (with its funky alternate interface), thus kinda leveling the perception that it's a weak technology box in graphics alone? If the controller is everything 'they' say it is, the buying public may be impressed in a way that's different than that of the stronger graphics alternative....

123rl

$300 is something like £280 according to Nintendo's European pricing policy. So if it's going to be $300 then I'd expect it to cost at least £250 in Britain and there is NO chance I'll buy one at that price. If I can import a US one for about £220 inc. postage then I will do, otherwise I'll wait for a price drop and a stronger lineup. That is much more than I expected to pay though - I was expecting a £120/$190 price range

littlewig

Banned
Average consumer won't even know the specs.

Considering that the Revolution looks the most hi-tech, a lot of people will assume it's powerful. There are still people today that think PS2 is more powerful than Gamecube.

Yamauchi said:
$200 seems a bit high considering it will be the last console to launch, perhaps having a worse launch line-up than the 360. It will also be the most underpowered. I think I'll wait for the price to drop to around $150.

what anything is better than 360 lunch lineup. i mena best game is a pc port. heck rev lunching with smash bros, final fantasy, and a mario is better than anything mircosoft can dream of.

Xellotah said:
Nintendo may price the revolution in relation to the competition. It's a new machine, so they have no need to price it cheap, only cheaper. If Sony and MS keep the prices above $300, I can see Nintendo pricing it at $250.

Remember, Nintendo are not competing on Specs. so why would they necessarily price the revolution depending on how the specs fall with regard to their competitors.

Still .. I think the Rev will be launched at $199, only because that is what they have always done. In fact they probably used $199 as the starting point and then built a machine that would be profitable at that price point.
you think well my friend. :)

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
123rl said:
$300 is something like £280 according to Nintendo's European pricing policy. So if it's going to be $300 then I'd expect it to cost at least £250 in Britain and there is NO chance I'll buy one at that price. If I can import a US one for about £220 inc. postage then I will do, otherwise I'll wait for a price drop and a stronger lineup. That is much more than I expected to pay though - I was expecting a £120/$190 price range

I remember when the N64 came out in the UK at £250 with £60 games. (I queued from 5 in the morning to be the first to have one in Northern Ireland, I think I succeeded because I was first in queue and Woolworths in Belfast opened before anywhere else). Anyway, as soon as I got home and played SM64 I was so impressed I didn't care how much I had spent. I'm hoping for the same effect with the Rev.

Nintendo did lower the price a few months later but, I wrote them a letter of complaint and got a free copy of Mario Kart 64. :D

westical

Banned
littlewig said:
Considering that the Revolution looks the most hi-tech, a lot of people will assume it's powerful.

Most people will look at the size, and will assume the big PS3 is far more powerful than the tiny Revolution.

Y2Kev

I thought Nintendo wanted to attract nongamers? I don't see nongamers taking the plunge at 250...isn't that more than the GC even launched at?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
People will think cheap price point means cheap product.

Will keep it inflated a bit for brand perception and product positioning (trying to make it apear high-tech)

I'm thinking $249, $199 the absoluste LOWEST.

Xellotah

123rl said:

Just for reference
Xbox coretard - $299 -> £209
Xbox Premium - $399 -> £279

Y2Kev

littlewig said:
I'm just wondering where you guys were when MS revealed the Xbox360 pricing...

$50 for a wireless controller? Come on!

Yeah, and everybody thinks MS is ripping people off on accessory prices. What's your point?

Top Bottom