• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Pricing Re-Emerges: "Less Than $299".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am pretty sure there was a TON of bitching on GAF after the 360 price revelation. Don't you remember the nine "turn in your jacket" threads?

The bitching has turned to Nintendo because they've been the quietest, allowing for the most speculation.

Deg

Banned
John Harker said:
People will think cheap price point means cheap product.

Well Revolution is a cheap product. Its isnt even a GC let alone a PS2/xbox level console.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I am pretty sure there was a TON of bitching on GAF after the 360 price revelation. Don't you remember the nine "turn in your jacket" threads?

The bitching has turned to Nintendo because they've been the quietest, allowing for the most speculation.

Nintendo make MS and Sony consoles look like bargain.

fse

cabel said:
(I did a search.. and I find it hard to believe this hasn't been posted, so please lock if so, etc.)

Iwata, in an interview a couple days ago with Yahoo Japan, has hinted that the Revolution will come in at less than $299. Or, less than the Xbox 360 low-end, anyway. And while I'm sure we're all absolutely shocked at this news -- also breaking: jocks love sports! -- it's certainly interesting to see something resembling a number. Hey, you take what you can get.

Original article, translated amusingly.

<299$=good.
I dunno if I will buy one though.

littlewig

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:

Well, I looked back at the Offical Xbot turn in your Jacket thread made by MrBob, and the mojority of the posters defended the prices, or atleast the people from the same camp that are calling the Revolution a rip off...

Deg

Banned
ypo said:
Anything more than $99 is a rip off.

Hell $99 is a ripoff.

The hardware costs will cost hardly anything compared to what Nintendo fans want you to believe.

monkeyrun said:
hmm ..... whata re you talking about ?

Costs wise its last gen technology. Why would you pay that much for out of date technology?

StRaNgE

Banned
monkeyrun said:
yes because we all know that the 512MB flash mem only cost 90 cents, the revmote only cost 10 dollar and the rest of the case and stuff only cost like 14 dollars.

so the Revolution is 24.90 to make and don't forget the 360 was only 38 dollars with the PS3 running a strong 41 dollars and 57 cents.

yeah uhmmm, ok then... :lol :lol

Krowley

it better be 150 or less, unless the reported specs are false, or there is a very big surprise feature that we don't know about.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
It may be that the system itself isn't expensive to make, but maybe the controller is a lot more expensive than a normal controller causing the overall price to rise. Although some of the prices being stated here are just too low to be sensible.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Deg said:
Hell $99 is a ripoff.

The hardware costs will cost hardly anything compared to what Nintendo fans want you to believe.

Costs wise its last gen technology. Why would you pay that much for out of date technology?
You're not attention!

Why did anyone pay a premium for a PS2 when the gamecube was less expensive, and the Xbox just as expensive? Both are arguably better than PS2 on a tech level.

PS2 had a lot of games that people wanted to play regardless of the hardware or price. Same will go for the Revolution. Whether that's a good thing or not I'm not exactly sure.

littlewig

Banned
Roders5 said:
It may be that the system itself isn't expensive to make, but maybe the controller is a lot more expensive than a normal controller causing the overall price to rise. Although some of the prices being stated here are just too low to be sensible.

Yea, and if that was the case, have fun spending 70 bucks on extra Revmotes.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Roders5 said:
When people talk about not paying a higher price unless the system is 'capable' of things what are they actually referring to? Surely if it provided the most fun gaming experiences ever it's worth the higher price regardless of anything else?

I agree. When I said "capable" I meant the entire gaming experience the console offers at launch rather than some simplistic "omfg the specs suck ass I'm only paying $50 for that shit". It's hard to believe some people claim the Revolution is "last gen" technology...denial

The GC was released for £130 in the UK. I don't see why Rev should be anything above £150 because I just can't see non-gamers taking the plunge for anything more than that, whether or not they fall in love with the machine's experience.

Deg said:

a) We don't know specs, let alone full specs for Revolution. IGNs informers don't know whether they're dealing with "a souped up Xbox or something more". The question then -- is how do you know what they're gonna be dealing with when they don't?
b) You hear "less than $299" and start moaning rip off.
c) Please, stop going in Nintendo threads.

Deku

Banned
My prediction.
It will be $150-$199 with hefty pack-ins, probably 2x controller and perhaps, a pack-in game.

Roders5

So to sum up:

"We want the Rev to provide new, unique gaming experiences, be the first Nintendo console to have real online play, attract new/ex gamers like never before, have a revolutionary control system more suited to many game types especially FPSs, be the smallest/sleekest console ever, have the ability to download the most legendary games in history, but we demand to pay less than we ever have before!!"

About right?

littlewig

Banned
I think packing in two controllers is a no brainer from the video they shown.

Why showcase the use of two controllers in a one player game if they are only going to pack in one remote?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
littlewig said:

Why showcase the use of two controllers in a one player game if they are only going to pack in one remote?
$

littlewig said:

I'd rather have the console cheaper with only one controller so I can choose the color of a second one.

Roders5

AndoCalrissian said:
I'd rather have the console cheaper with only one controller so I can choose the color of a second one.

A red one, a white one and a blue one ftw!

I can't believe some Nintards are justifying Nintendo's price. The same fuckheads that say Nintendo has a new "cheap" view of how to do video games. Drinky Crow is right; Nintendo fans don't really know what they want.

If they charge $249 for $100 technology, Nintendo can go fuck themselves. I'll never bother with a Revolution, even when it does drop in price.

Stupid assholes.

yoopoo

Banned
The Experiment said:
I can't believe some Nintards are justifying Nintendo's price. The same fuckheads that say Nintendo has a new "cheap" view of how to do video games. Drinky Crow is right; Nintendo fans don't really know what they want.

If they charge $249 for $100 technology, Nintendo can go fuck themselves. I'll never bother with a Revolution, even when it does drop in price.

Stupid assholes.
You don't know Rev's price, you don't know the cost of Rev's technology.

Your display of anger is quite sad :lol

I seriously doubt the price will be over $200, based on Nintendo's pricing history, alleged specs, and the fact that they're aiming this to attract casual/non-gamers. I would think $150-$200. $99 is a pipe dream, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

Roders5

The Experiment said:

Stupid assholes.

Take a chill pill. It's not like they've even released the price yet, but with that kinda attitude you don't even deserve to play a Rev. Ever.

xabre

Banned
The Experiment said:

Stupid assholes.

Iwata been pissing in your cornflakes again?

Deg said:
Well Revolution is a cheap product. Its isnt even a GC let alone a PS2/xbox level console.

Nintendo make MS and Sony consoles look like bargain.

Hell hath no fury like a Nintendo fan scorned.

Deg, one of the biggest Nintendo fanboys of 2000-(early)2005.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Deg's and Experiment's weaksauce excuse for a trolling system.

Go back to Drinky's school and come back when you're educated.

Roders5

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Is that...real?

Introduce a DVD?

And it's so long! It took like 20 seconds!

Well the first time I watched it I thought it said Nintendo BS which is probably pretty close to the truth.

yoopoo

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Is that...real?

Introduce a DVD?

And it's so long! It took like 20 seconds!
Why would you ask a question like that? Of course its not real, how many previous leaks about Rev have been real? No reason to think this one would be real.

I think if the price comes in on the higher end of the scale it's simply because they can't afford to segment the market by not including both the Nunchaku AND Classic shell attachments.

oatmeal said:
If it's not $149, it will be a failure. 360 should be $249 by Fall 06'. Rev has to come in at $149 or less.

by fall of next yeah 360 will be 300 not 249. the first price drop will not be a price drop. ms will just discard the retard pack and offer one pack at 350

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
RE4 vs. SH4 said:
Hell hath no fury like a Nintendo fan scorned.

Deg, one of the biggest Nintendo fanboys of 2000-(early)2005.

Deg was a Nintendo fanboy? What happened?

Drensch

As per usual, responses from the usual suspects are predictable as shit.

I can't believe some Nintentrolls are trolling a quote that may or may not have anything to do with Nintendo's price. The same fuckheads that say Nintendo is doomed every 5 minutes. Drinky Crow is rarely right; Nintendo fans know exactly what they want, nintendo games. Since nobody knows jack shit about Revolution, I'll troll it the same way I would regardless of info, Nintendo can go fuck themselves. I'll never bother with nintendo, regardless of what it is because I'm a troll Stupid assholes like me are a dime a dozen.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
The Experiment said:

Stupid assholes.
There hasn't been enough hate for $99 wireless adapters, $50 controllers and $60 memory units (?) hear to justify anything of this post. Get real.

neptunes

they're not going to just barely turn profit, they're going to try maximize it as much as possible.

$199 (-$50 price cut within 10 months)

Top Bottom