• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty is goddamn hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

this show is great. when does it air each week?

sjxajHW.gif

Monday nights, 10:30 pm est right now I think.

I love how they're integrating some of their pop cultural references into recurring story mechanics rather than just one-off gags. The whole Inception dream-within-a-dream parody working its way into a completely different plot point in the form of
a simulation within a simulation
was pretty creative. It's a nice change of pace from your typical episodic status quo.

Popnbake

This show is on a roll. Last episode was great

That R scene was insane lol

Wow, the writer for that scene got into the technical aspects of it over at the big R -
http://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty...room_scene_by/

I'm amused by the first post:

I felt wrong for it giving me a laugh and that post makes it funnier
Although..they probably should have conveyed all that to make it seem less controversial, but that is probably what they were going for.

That actually sounds amazing for the sub jelly bean plot and would have made the bathroom scene less creeptastic.

Wish they put that into the episode.

I just realized something: so far, the only CGI Rick and Morty has used is the recurring portal gun effect, when they could easily could have made a simpler 2D variant for the show. So why render a completely unique three-dimensional object in a two-dimensional medium?

Because it's an inter-dimensional portal.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The meseeks episode was brilliant. Wow. I love this show.

I just realized something: so far, the only CGI Rick and Morty has used is the recurring portal gun effect, when they could easily could have made a simpler 2D variant for the show. So why render a completely unique three-dimensional object in a two-dimensional medium?

Because it's an inter-dimensional portal.

Holy shit, that is genius!

mr. meeseeks is totally house of cosbys. i love how his catchphrase 'i'm mr. meeseeks look at me!' would just enter in the middle of a sentence no matter the context.
Yeah there's Channel 101 all over this.

Don't like Community (tries too hard) but I'm loving this series.

It's funny you say that cause it's the total opposite for me. I felt the same way about Community, didn't watch it for years, and as of last week finally gave it another shot and now I absolutely ADORE it and have been burning through the seasons. Rick & Morty, however, I hate because it really really really tries too fucking hard.

Well, let me rephrase that. I hated the Channel 101 shorts, because they were 100% shock value humor and gross out gags. The new show I've avoided because of that, but when I saw Harmon's name attached and with my renewed love of Community, I decided to give it a shot. I've only seen the Meeseeks episode, which I actually DID enjoy, but the show relies ENTIRELY on characters screaming their lines. "Yelling your joke doesn't make it funnier" or whatever the phrase is. As much as I enjoyed it I found it grating and almost anxiety inducing to sit through 20 minutes of constant shouting. It's like someone took Lemongrab from Adventure Time and made him every character (literally, as he's the same voice actor as Mr Meeseeks). To me, that's really trying too hard to be funny.

It sucks [for me] because for the most part, the writing IS good and what I've seen of the show IS funny, and I want to watch it from the beginning since there's apparently a continuing narrative, but the reliance on the screaming and yelling might kill it for me.

MNC

I didn't think random burping could be this funny. Fucking hell. The fact that makes this show so good is that Dan Harmon is really good at layering his fiction. There's a lot of subtlety that I love. Jerry's dad going for the handycam. Morty's face going into his sister's boobs and being visibly freaked out. And that's just the superficial stuff.

MNC

Yeah there's Channel 101 all over this.

It's funny you say that cause it's the total opposite for me. I felt the same way about Community, didn't watch it for years, and as of last week finally gave it another shot and now I absolutely ADORE it and have been burning through the seasons. Rick & Morty, however, I hate because it really really really tries too fucking hard.

Well, let me rephrase that. I hated the Channel 101 shorts, because they were 100% shock value humor and gross out gags. The new show I've avoided because of that, but when I saw Harmon's name attached and with my renewed love of Community, I decided to give it a shot. I've only seen the Meeseeks episode, which I actually DID enjoy, but the show relies ENTIRELY on characters screaming their lines. "Yelling your joke doesn't make it funnier" or whatever the phrase is. As much as I enjoyed it I found it grating and almost anxiety inducing to sit through 20 minutes of constant shouting. It's like someone took Lemongrab from Adventure Time and made him every character (literally, as he's the same voice actor as Mr Meeseeks). To me, that's really trying too hard to be funny.

It sucks [for me] because for the most part, the writing IS good and what I've seen of the show IS funny, and I want to watch it from the beginning since there's apparently a continuing narrative, but the reliance on the screaming and yelling might kill it for me.

From what I can recall, only the Meeseeks episode has that "YELLING IS FUNNY" trope, and only does it for Meeseeks. You should definitely watch the rest of the episodes, there are only 5 (?) so far. Don't like it then? You probably shouldn't continue.

Likewise, I think the pilot has one too many buttjokes, so let's both hope this show evolves a bit more.

Clevinger

I've only seen the Meeseeks episode, which I actually DID enjoy, but the show relies ENTIRELY on characters screaming their lines. "Yelling your joke doesn't make it funnier" or whatever the phrase is. As much as I enjoyed it I found it grating and almost anxiety inducing to sit through 20 minutes of constant shouting.

You should probably try more episodes because this isn't true at all. I don't think it was even true in that episode since Rick wasn't yelling at all from what I remember (he was sarcastically shitting on Morty the whole episode), Morty wasn't yelling all the time. It might seem that way because there were a million meeseeks going increasingly insane and the way they speak is a shout, and then the people who were interacting with them were freaking out too.

Meeseeks aren't in the other episodes, btw.

Oh, and maybe skip the pilot (or watch it after all the other episodes). Most other people don't seem to like it, and I only made it through a couple minutes since it didn't seem good. Only bad episode so far.

ZoddGutts

This isn't one of those series that has loud yelling to be funny, this is the only ep that had that and it was for only that one character. As much I like Archer, now that's a series that has a lot of yelling.

Best episode yet, make sure to watch until after the credits!

This show is so good, there's no way it will be picked up for another season. Best comedy on TV right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom