• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riddick graphics resemble Tenebrae Quake

Demigod Mac

Don't you think so?

Can't say I was blown away by Riddick like most people. I played Tenebrae Quake years ago!

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

quake00021.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There are very distinct differences, though. The animation in Riddick is actually very good (better than 90% of the FPS games on PC easily), the bloom lighting is much better looking, the models are FAR superior (obviously), there are tons of moving objects that all cast shadows (Quake is limited in this regard), etc.

Tenebrae does do a lot of similar things, but the fact that it is based on Quake created a massive limitation.

Demigod Mac

'Course, Tenebrae Quake does have its limits. But it probably made Riddick less impressive to me.

Doom 3 definitely trumps Riddick's graphics in its complexity on all fronts. I don't see why people claim otherwise.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
riddick looks great for what its trying to show, its a prison afterall, its not supposed to be pretty, but it nails the gritty dark feel really well.

Doom 3 might match Riddick graphically but Riddick has a lot more going for it than great graphics, if Doom 3 matches up to the rest of Riddick ill be impressed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Demigod Mac said:
'Course, Tenebrae Quake does have its limits. But it probably made Riddick less impressive to me.

Doom 3 definitely trumps Riddick's graphics in its complexity on all fronts. I don't see why people claim otherwise.

No shit. Why bash Riddick, though? It is quite a feat when you consider the platform. I'd actually say that the character models in Riddick look more complex than those in Doom 3 (which are very low-poly), but Doom 3 features much more detailed and varied environments. Riddick suffers from cramped levels all around with fairly simple geometry making them up.

I too had played Tenebrae well before Riddick, but I don't feel that the impact was really lessened as a result. I mean, Tenebrae has GREAT lighting (obviously) but looks so akward in motion and REALLY fails to show off the shadows like Riddick does.

Perhaps there's a secret mode in Riddick that makes the cut-scenes not look like ass? Or how about the mip-mapping? Riddick does has it moments where it looks really good, but it is horribly inconsistant.

I can't count how many times I thought a chain-link grating wasn't there up until I got close enough for the mip-mapping to display the texture letting me know it was solid. Or how about all the times in the cinematics where it can't anti-alias anything and it starts lookling like a PSOne mess ...

Best looking game (at the moment) Riddick definitely is not.

Top Bottom