• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Horizon Burning Shores Win best technical achievement/graphics of 2023?

Love You Reaction GIF by Bounce

There's times throughout the year I like to make videos for specific games just to practice video editing in my free time.

Making a Horizon Burning Shores video this morning and I was blown away by how crisp, detailed and smooth the entire game has been so far. Will it take the top spot for Best Technical Achievement/Graphics of the year?

I can see potentially Spider-Man 2, RE4 Remake, maybe Forza(?) Getting nominations or wins but Burning Shores has been incredible so far, surpassing the original release in many areas.

Here a video I made as a reference of what time talking about. I'm really enjoying my time with it. What do you all think, graphics of the year?

No that will be Phantom Liberty Path Traced or Alan Wake 2 path traced.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Why?

Bethesda has never been known for top-tier visuals and this is undoubtedly the best looking game they've ever made. The game is inconsistent visually but can and does frequently look incredible.

So what? That shouldn't stop people from levying fair criticism.

We didn't see Elden Ring get this type of vitriol despite it running and looking like shit on a technical level.

First of all, Elden Ring is a cross-gen title. Secondly, the game never really looks like shit; it might not be cutting edge but artistry throughout is first-rate. Below is a failure at both the artistic and technical level.

Wctwij0.jpg

It's all rooted in an embarrassing amount of console warrior cringe.

Bro, it really isn't. There are many parallels with my personal GOTY FFXVI. There's a great game for many and I love the combat and narrative, but I would never deny the mediocre visuals present in numerous areas of the game as well as some of the outdated game design choices that take away from the experience. Literally same issues as Starfield.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Spider-Man 2 identical to the previous two games? Now I've heard it all...

ANYWAY ... Burning Shores currently has it, but I'm waiting to dissect Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2 and, perhaps, Modern Warfare III will bring things back to what MW2019 did. Also, don't sleep on Dead Island 2...

Dead-Island-Win64-Shipping-2023-04-29-19-42-27.png

Dead-Island-Win64-Shipping-2023-05-06-11-00-07.png

Dead-Island-Win64-Shipping-2023-05-06-15-23-29.png

Last edited:
It will be between starfield, avatar, cyberpunk and ff16. Horizon’s dlc isn’t big enough to be under consideration. Especially since it won last year for the same tech. Maybe it will get an honorary mention for clouds.
You're sleeping on Alan Wake 2, mate.

edit: Actually nvm, I saw you mentioned AW2 in your follow up posts.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
PC version will look crazy. I’m not all that interested in the game but I will probably pick it up just to see how good it looks maxed out.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
And lulz @ Strarfield. Yeah, it has its moments, but it is very inconsistent and, in my eyes, doesn't belong in a 'best of the year' graphics show. Its bad NPCs, for example, are bad! Better looking games this year that are out and coming out!

T0minator T0minator

Yeah, its texture maps, AF, and character models are some of the best out there! That last pic you posted, for example.... Nothing this year looks as good!

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Final game didn't end up looking like that, if you played it you would know.
IVp9q2o.jpg
N24Cztc.jpg
PjS0z7C.jpg

The details from far away and from up close in Horizon are well above average in the industry. Maaaaybe Spider-Man 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 will have moments that are better, but overall package Horizon Burning Shores this is year has some incredible moments deserving recognition

path traced cyberpunk is simply next level

any-thoughts-abot-dlss-3-5-this-looks-like-a-huge-step-v0-z6o7xiscesjb1.jpg

ChiefDada

Gold Member
PC version will look crazy. I’m not all that interested in the game but I will probably pick it up just to see how good it looks maxed out.

Because it is full raster/no RT I expect minimal PC gains. In fact, I think most mid-range PC builds will struggle with VRAM and/or asset decompression but we'll see.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
FuO-HGaXwAAWcrk

FuO-Jv3WIAA6Lr8

FuO-IV8WAAMwzwJ

Nothing released this year looked better overall.

We will see what Space Marine 2 and Alan Wake 2 do.

Pop-in aside, the only thing holding it back imo is GI. It's just too bright for my liking. Even just RT shadows without RT bounce lighting would yield amazing results. Still top 5 graphics this gen though.

Killer8

Every day I wake up and wish I cared about Horizon.

It looks so nice but is the definition of boardroom concocted slop.

Lighting is marginally improved but buildings are mostly the same. The slightly enhanced lighting isn’t going to win any awards though since there are games that are doing much more with the ps5 hardware.

We will see.

Remember when the first Spiderman 2 gameplay came out the speculation was that it had RT shadows? Is that even in the game now because they bragged about RT reflections but I didn't hear any mention of shadows?

Hope so but I doubt it. Wonder why that came up to begin with ..

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
PC, Cyberpunk wins. PS5 Horizon wins. Xbox Redf...nvm. Both Cyberpunk and Horizon are kings, stop putting them up against each other. They both do amazing stuff on their own and are ahead of every other game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Disagree with all of the above.

FF16 looks good in cutscenes, but it's not as impressive in-game.
It's not as impressive ingame, yes, until you get to the big setpiece moments which are next gen as fuck. especially considering we didnt get them at all last gen and consdering how ragnorak straight up skipped them.

they will definitely put it in the picture for best technical achievement despite the mediocre graphics elsewhere in the game.

Alan Wake 2 is highly confined linear title. Impressive in its own right, but SM2 is doing it on a much larger scale.
That didnt stop TLOU2 from beating out Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk and Spiderman miles in 2020. Linear or not, graphics fidelity is what matters.
Cyberpunk on console is not more impressive than SM2. It's not really an impressive game at all.
This I can agree with. There are some really shoddy areas in cyberpunk even on PC and i played this in overdrive mode. However, in terms of tech, a massive standalone expansion designed from the ground up around Path Tracing will definitely get some eye balls. im sure spiderman 2 will be in the top 5 or top 10, but i dont see it beating out cyberpunk.

avatar's latest downgrade has me worried but the pc footage from gamescom still looks amazing and the ps5 footage from fidelity mode looked stunning too. i have no idea why they chose to show off the 60 fps performance mode on consoles in a story trailer but i think thats why it looked so underwhelming. starfield truly shines on PC. I feel bad for you lot playing it on the xsx. I have a feeling avatar will go the same way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And lulz @ Strarfield. Yeah, it has its moments, but it is very inconsistent and, in my eyes, doesn't belong in a 'best of the year' graphics show. Its bad NPCs, for example, are bad! Better looking games this year that are out and coming out!

T0minator T0minator

Yeah, its texture maps, AF, and character models are some of the best out there! That last pic you posted, for example.... Nothing this year looks as good!
bad npcs shouldnt be a barometer to judge a video game's graphics.

there are bad NPCs in the best looking game of last gen.
z140XDb.jpg

there are ugly as sin children in AC valhalla
vf2pfyl1of161.png

there are bad looking NPCs in cyberpunk.
VV7KyU9.jpg

FF16 has some stunning looking character models and some straight up lifted from the ps3 era.

F0P6fdPX0AA7vN8

Find me an open world game, and i will find you ugly NPCs.

The quest givers and main character models are pretty decent and a massive upgrade over their last game. And thats what matters in a game where you are constantly talking to characters face to face.

F5tjDnEXMAAu1KI

F6RK0JrW4AAdOqm

BbMajor7th

To me, a technical achievement is about more than graphics alone. Cyberpunk's path tracing is impressive, but it's really just adding brute force and AI upscaling to implement a very bonkers version of what's already out there.

For me, Tears of the Kingdom is a far more technically impressive feat.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
bad npcs shouldnt be a barometer to judge a video game's graphics.

there are bad NPCs in the best looking game of last gen.

there are ugly as sin children in AC valhalla

there are bad looking NPCs in cyberpunk.

FF16 has some stunning looking character models and some straight up lifted from the ps3 era.

Find me an open world game, and i will find you ugly NPCs.

The quest givers and main character models are pretty decent and a massive upgrade over their last game. And thats what matters in a game where you are constantly talking to characters face to face.
No one said NPCs were a barometer (in fact, I said for example). They should be included, particularly if they stand out in an extreme way, be it good or bad. Horizon is partially so praised because its NPCs look so good. And sure, plenty of games have poor NPCs, but Starfield's are particularly bad and it's no coincidence that so many people make fun of them/highlight how poor they are. And that doesn't consider other things that I feel hurt it, such as poor lighting and low res textures in plenty of the environments.

That doesn't mean it's a bad looking game overall, but there are others that are clear steps ahead in every area.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Insomniac games look better in their performance modes. They also handle 30fps better than Guerrilla Games too (maybe better motion blur, I’m not sure why). Also their 40fps mode basically uses performance modes settings but at a higher resolution, whereas in Insomniac games are full fidelity at 40fps. I mean Forbidden West and it’s expansion look amazing, it’s just behind other Sony releases in those technical issues I just mentioned. So for 2023, Spider-Man 2 is gonna be the better looking game in motion.

HFW should win it. I'm still floored whenever I see it running on my PS5.

Cyberpunk with Path Tracing should also win as well, looks godly on my 4090. It's a toss up for me, whichever one of these games win will be great for me. CDPR and Guerrilla are technical wizards.

I haven't played Spiderman 2 yet but looking at what Insomniac has been able to do with it on PS5 they should also be considered for a win.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
On a sheer technical scale, little to nothing this year will come close to 2077's overdrive path tracing.

For lighting, sure. But textures/materials and geometry are the other two inputs in the graphics equation and CP ranges from average to below average in both these areas. Even the path-traced lighting sometimes isn't enough to greatly overpower baked GI from large studios with great talent and resources.

Top Bottom