• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Horizon Burning Shores Win best technical achievement/graphics of 2023?

Buggy Loop

Im not saying that it destroys it completely, its just technically the more advanced game. HFW also does things like the water rendering and the clouds that are better than CP2077 but its the overall package in CP2077 thats more impressive. Like i said HFW is in my top 3 and thats while its running on console which is crazy. But the lighting and effects in CP2077 are really generations ahead of whats in HFW and thats a fact, nothing to do with been subjective or not.

Ray reconstruction is even going to ramp that up to 11.

Gonna look insane.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Im not saying that it destroys it completely, its just technically the more advanced game. HFW also does things like the water rendering and the clouds that are better than CP2077 but its the overall package in CP2077 thats more impressive. Like i said HFW is in my top 3 and thats while its running on console which is crazy. But the lighting and effects in CP2077 are really generations ahead of whats in HFW and thats a fact, nothing to do with been subjective or not.
It's a technically more advanced game (in areas). Yup.

Best looking game this year? That is most definitely subjective.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I mean someone can vote Zelda TOTK also for that, its all subjective
I mean, yeah, that's been my point :p

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220822183742.png

vs

1091500-20230416212704-1.png

Which ever you choose visually is all subjective, but I agree with him that the technical achievement should go to Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
Ghost recon breakpoint and red dead redemption 2 is the best looking open world game
Horizon is easily the best looking game so far and it becomes better the more AAA games release with internal resolutions of 900p or whatever and broken and stuttery fps. Add to that the solid framerates the game runs at and it makes you think of what Horizon 3 will look like on PS5 Pro. It will put to shame most next-crossgen games in 2028. It probably won't win awards due to being DLC though.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
It's a technically more advanced game (in areas). Yup.

Best looking game this year? That is most definitely subjective.
So having the most advanced lighting system, most advanced reflections and most advanced shadows out of any game is not enough to be the best looking game. But character models and foliage that look slightly better than best of last gen is?
I mean someone can vote Zelda TOTK also for that, its all subjective
yeah apparently its just like that lol.

Virex

Banned
Not really, Buring Shores actually looked kind of meh. I'd say Mortal Kombat 1 on Nintendo Switch is one of the biggest technical..emm...marvels I'd say

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
So having the most advanced lighting system, most advanced reflections and most advanced shadows out of any game is not enough to be the best looking game. But character models and foliage that look slightly better than best of last gen is?
If we're playing that game, Cyberpunk's textures nor character models look much better than the best of last gen (in fact, TLOU Pt. II's, of both, beat it). Again, I don't make the rules. I was content with the toss up, but I guess I must bow to thee. :pie_roffles:

In all seriousness, I don't necessarily agree or disagree. On PC, Cyberpunk is my best looking game. On PS5, LOU Pt. I, Demons Souls, and Horizon trade blows. For this year, I think Pathtraced Cyberpunk and Burning Shores trade blows. One over the other? Up to the individual. I wouldn't route against either result.

M Masterofchapter

Watch Dogs LEGION looks way better than Cyberpunk? o_O

Last edited:

Turk1993

It should, but does it? You're asking me. I don't make the rules. I just call it a toss up.

But, since we're playing this game, Cyberpunk's textures nor character models look much better than the best of last gen (in fact, TLOU Pt. II's, of both, beat it). Should that be considered, or nah? Again, I don't make the rules. Apparently, you do.
In game outside the cutscene models they do lol. TLOU2 textures are not better than CP2077 textures and the in game character model is not on the level of CP2077. Just because you like the setting better in HFW doesn't make it the best looking game. You can prefere the style and look but technically it will still not be the best looking game. And i compared HFW strengths to full last gen games, do the same for CP2077 and see if you can find one thats open world with dynamic tod in a big city lol.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
In game outside the cutscene models they do lol. TLOU2 textures are not better than CP2077 textures and the in game character model is not on the level of CP2077. Just because you like the setting better in HFW doesn't make it the best looking game. You can prefere the style and look but technically it will still not be the best looking game. And i compared HFW strengths to full last gen games, do the same for CP2077 and see if you can find one thats open world with dynamic tod in a big city lol.
Textures are arguable (although I'd still hand it to LOU), but character models? Part II's smoke Cyberpunk's. Without question for me!

Regardless, this will go on as a tit-for-tat, and that wasn't my goal. Strengths/weaknesses. They exist. What one chooses over the other is up to the individual. They're both class leading games from a visual perspective this gen, and like I said, I wouldn't route against either winning result.

I do appreciate a mostly civil debate, btw. Hard to come by these days. :nougat_rofl:

Last edited:

Turk1993

Textures are arguable (although I'd still hand it to LOU), but character models? Part II's smoke Cyberpunk's. Without question for me!
Not the in game models, CP2077 has some insanely detailed characters that are very underrated.

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-36-27.jpg

Regardless, this will go on as a tit-for-tat, and that wasn't my goal. Strengths/weaknesses. They exist. What one chooses over the other is up to the individual. They're both class leading games from a visual perspective this gen, and like I said, I wouldn't route against either winning result.
:messenger_peace:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Not the in game models, CP2077 has some insanely detailed characters that are very underrated.

:messenger_peace:
Well, that's fair. I know it seems like I'm giving Cyberpunk a hard time, but I very much love it! I snapped a chunk of screens two nights ago and it continues to impress! I have an additional excitement for Wake 2 because of Pathtracing.

nkarafo

Horizon does have the best looking foliage environments. And some of the best models. But it's mostly that, trees, grass and bushes. It's a bit boring to look at IMO.

Something like Cyberpunk has so much more things to see. A dense city with the highest possible level of detail and a lot of verticallity as well.

Last edited:

T0minator

Horizon does have the best looking foliage environments. And some of the best models. But it's mostly that, trees, grass and bushes. It's a bit boring to look at IMO.

Something like Cyberpunk has so much more things to see. A dense city with the highest possible level of detail and a lot of verticallity as well.
lscCm69.jpg
kmsKOtK.jpg
QXaogjE.jpg
bEDCxtm.jpg

Every area that Guerilla creates in Horizon is incredible, not just the models and foliage, the water and terrain is intricately created. From afar or upclose, it's all great. Cyberpunk and Horizon are the top of the industry imo. Either one can win over technical achievement this year

Last edited:
If we're playing that game, Cyberpunk's textures nor character models look much better than the best of last gen (in fact, TLOU Pt. II's, of both, beat it). Again, I don't make the rules. I was content with the toss up, but I guess I must bow to thee. :pie_roffles:

In all seriousness, I don't necessarily agree or disagree. On PC, Cyberpunk is my best looking game. On PS5, LOU Pt. I, Demons Souls, and Horizon trade blows. For this year, I think Pathtraced Cyberpunk and Burning Shores trade blows. One over the other? Up to the individual. I wouldn't route against either result.

M Masterofchapter

Watch Dogs LEGION looks way better than Cyberpunk? o_O
Yes watch dogs legion looks better than cyberpunk 2077

Drizzlehell

Banned
It is easily the best looking open world game currently available, not only due to the amount of detail packed into each character model and environments, but also how consistently good all of it looks. I'm yet to visit an area of this game that wouldn't look amazing on screenshots and had an equal amount of detail put into it that's consistent with the logic of the game. You won't find any areas here that would inexplicably look like someone had to leave office early that day. The fact that there aren't any loading screens either is just amazing.

I don't know how could anyone claim that something like Cyberpunk looks better if there are literally assets in that game that look like they've been ripped from early PS3 days, and there are many areas that were clearly rushed and look like absolute dogshit. The game also very much looks like something that was made on The Witcher 3 engine, with many character models being animated like wooden puppets and having that uncanny valley thing going on.

I may not be the biggest fan of the Horizon series, but to claim that Forbidden West/Burning Shores aren't the best looking and technically the most impressive games around today must have shit in their eyes, lol.

EDMIX

Ok champ…

I got Cyberpunk that year instead of Watchdog's Legion, but looking at that side by side, I can see how someone would say Watchdogs looks better. The NPCs look more detailed, much more animation, the ground texture looks great during the rain etc.

They both look good, but I'd give the edge to Watchdogs Legion, regardless if someone things one looks better, they both look good and I don't know if I'd say its a massive difference to doubt someone might believe that about either titles tbh.

You see a lot of that difference here with how lively one city looks vs the other.

I don't have much time this year to play Watchdogs Legion as my year is basically set (same with the CP DLC), but I'd rather check out Watchdogs Legion next year then that CP DLC and might play it before I get that DLC or something.

Seeing the side by side, I don't think its wild stretch to say Watchdogs Legion looks better, especially with RT, but I don't think people who like futuristic open world games should ignore either title tbh.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I got Cyberpunk that year instead of Watchdog's Legion, but looking at that side by side, I can see how someone would say Watchdogs looks better. The NPCs look more detailed, much more animation, the ground texture looks great during the rain etc.

They both look good, but I'd give the edge to Watchdogs Legion, regardless if someone things one looks better, they both look good and I don't know if I'd say its a massive difference to doubt someone might believe that about either titles tbh.

You see a lot of that difference here with how lively one city looks vs the other.

I don't have much time this year to play Watchdogs Legion as my year is basically set (same with the CP DLC), but I'd rather check out Watchdogs Legion next year then that CP DLC and might play it before I get that DLC or something.

Seeing the side by side, I don't think its wild stretch to say Watchdogs Legion looks better, especially with RT, but I don't think people who like futuristic open world games should ignore either title tbh.

Honestly, Cyberpunk only looks good from a distance, like when you want to do a landscape photo. But when you look too closely at anything that isn't related to the main story quest (where no doubt most of the development energy went), it's kinda penis.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

You guys do know Cyberpunk is running with DLSS Balanced or Performance whereas Watch_Dogs is running at native 4K, right? Maxed out Cyberpunk at native 4K runs at 15fps on a 3080. The image quality of Watch_Dog is hilariously superior. Much better texture resolve, sharper, far better anti-aliasing, and an overall much cleaner image. Cyberpunk is blurry as hell there. At native 4K, it dunks on Watch_Dogs.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You guys do know Cyberpunk is running with DLSS Balanced or Performance whereas Watch_Dogs is running at native 4K, right? Maxed out Cyberpunk at native 4K runs at 15fps on a 3080. The image quality of Watch_Dog is hilariously superior. Much better texture resolve, sharper, far better anti-aliasing, and an overall much cleaner image. Cyberpunk is blurry as hell there. At native 4K, it dunks on Watch_Dogs.
It was clear what the agenda was there. Glad I wasn’t the only one.

Cyberpunk walks all over Region and that’s without Pathtracing.

EDMIX

Well I agree.

The image quality of Watchdogs looks much more superior and I believe its because they are using an engine made for open world in the first place that allows for that type of deep detail and solid performance. I also agree with them having much better textures.

giphy.gif

Watch Dogs Legion looks like Cyberpunk from Wish lol.

Nah, a bit too hyperbolic and exaggerative.

The NPCs in Cyberpunk look a bit flat, almost cartoony. where the NPCs in Watchdogs have much more detail, but granted that cause Legion was about being able to play as the NPCs or something. Either way, they are both good looking games, but I don't think either is like the "wish" version or "great value version" etc

I think someone can feel Cyberpunk looks better, someone can feel Watchdogs looks better, I have strong doubts when someone tries to make it look like one of the games is like a monstrosity compared to the other though lol

Turk1993

Nah, a bit too hyperbolic and exaggerative.

The NPCs in Cyberpunk look a bit flat, almost cartoony. where the NPCs in Watchdogs have much more detail, but granted that cause Legion was about being able to play as the NPCs or something.
smh.gif

CP2077 character models curb stomps the models in Watch Dogs Legion. The models in Watch Dog Legion are average asf, there are some models with decent clothing but thats it lol. The shaders and character models itself is a gen behind compared to CP2077 models.

Gameplay/Cutscene/Promoshot from main characters and some NPC for WDL

wd_3_002.png

deb1zsy-80cb5f6a-3793-4a02-a5c2-852047a023eb.jpg

1603857498650-watch-dogs-5.jpeg

Watch_Dogs_Legion_Recruitment_Talker.png

kelleyA_3840x2160.jpg

WDL_screen_protest_e3_190610_2_1560170652.15pmPST-min.jpg

From DevianArt the creator of those models for the game
deayl0d-4c5c421c-2685-4a0e-a3e2-2e0c02bfacb7.jpg

deamvf9-2f99f50f-934c-44f5-a9dc-50f82cae6ab6.jpg

VS

Random NPC in the world
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-27-04-2023-1-47-49.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-16-04-2023-6-32-55.jpg

Characters that are part of the story mode
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-48-11.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-8-02-51.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-14-04-2023-1-55-02.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-1-23-36.jpg

The difference is even bigger if you compare them only in gameplay lol.

Either way, they are both good looking games, but I don't think either is like the "wish" version or "great value version" etc
They are both good looking games but Watch Dogs Legion is not on the same level as CP2077.

I think someone can feel Cyberpunk looks better, someone can feel Watchdogs looks better, I have strong doubts when someone tries to make it look like one of the games is like a monstrosity compared to the other though lol
Nah bruh you are crazy if you think that they are close like that lol. The lighting, reflections, shadows, shaders, characters, effects and overall world detail in CP2077 is far ahead compared to WDL.

EDMIX

smh.gif

CP2077 character models curb stomps the models in Watch Dogs Legion. The models in Watch Dog Legion are average asf, there are some models with decent clothing but thats it lol. The shaders and character models itself is a gen behind compared to CP2077 models.

Gameplay/Cutscene/Promoshot from main characters and some NPC for WDL

wd_3_002.png

deb1zsy-80cb5f6a-3793-4a02-a5c2-852047a023eb.jpg

1603857498650-watch-dogs-5.jpeg

Watch_Dogs_Legion_Recruitment_Talker.png

kelleyA_3840x2160.jpg

WDL_screen_protest_e3_190610_2_1560170652.15pmPST-min.jpg

From DevianArt the creator of those models for the game
deayl0d-4c5c421c-2685-4a0e-a3e2-2e0c02bfacb7.jpg

deamvf9-2f99f50f-934c-44f5-a9dc-50f82cae6ab6.jpg

VS

Random NPC in the world
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-27-04-2023-1-47-49.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-16-04-2023-6-32-55.jpg

Characters that are part of the story mode
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-48-11.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-8-02-51.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-14-04-2023-1-55-02.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-1-23-36.jpg

The difference is even bigger if you compare them only in gameplay lol.

They are both good looking games but Watch Dogs Legion is not on the same level as CP2077.

Nah bruh you are crazy if you think that they are close like that lol. The lighting, reflections, shadows, shaders, characters, effects and overall world detail in CP2077 is far ahead compared to WDL.

so...I guess you ignored that part where I said "the NPCs in Cyberpunk"

You are free to like what ever you want, I don't fucking care lol

EDMIX

So.. you ignored the part where i also showed the npc in CP2077 looking better than the main characters of WDL?

(y)

lol I really don't know what to fucking tell you man.

I put 70 hours in Cyberpunk 2077, I do not own Watchdogs Legion and what I've been able to see from many sources is that both those games look closer then many realize. Its not that big of a deal and I'm not really sure what that is some battle or hill to die one or something.

Turk1993

lol I really don't know what to fucking tell you man.

I put 70 hours in Cyberpunk 2077, I do not own Watchdogs Legion and what I've been able to see from many sources is that both those games look closer then many realize. Its not that big of a deal and I'm not really sure what that is some battle or hill to die one or something.
Its not a battle, its just weird that you claim something thats not true and act defensive when im just showing you how wrong you are. And you need to change your sources that makes those claims lol, because almost everybody agrees that WDL is not even close to CP2077 graphically. Are your sources working for Ubisoft or something, because even they will admit that CP2077 is the superior game graphically.

EDMIX

Its not a battle, its just weird that you claim something thats not true and act defensive when im just showing you how wrong you are. And you need to change your sources that makes those claims lol, because almost everybody agrees that WDL is not even close to CP2077 graphically. Are your sources working for Ubisoft or something, because even they will admit that CP2077 is the superior game graphically.

Yea, I think both look fine, you better call the gaming police lol

Get over yourself man, its not that fucking deep...

Braag

I never understood the WDL defense force for it's visuals. I stopped playing the game after 6 hours or so cause it was putting me to sleep but visually it had it's moments during certain lighting condition, but in the end it was very "ubisoft" looking game with NPCs looking plasticy and hair overall looking pretty bad, lighting was flat at times and quite good sometimes, a really hit and miss style visuals. London was quite well realized but Night City is just way more packed and vertical so they're little hard to compare.

Top Bottom