• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Horizon Burning Shores Win best technical achievement/graphics of 2023?

T0minator

There's times throughout the year I like to make videos for specific games just to practice video editing in my free time.

Making a Horizon Burning Shores video this morning and I was blown away by how crisp, detailed and smooth the entire game has been so far. Will it take the top spot for Best Technical Achievement/Graphics of the year?

I can see potentially Spider-Man 2, RE4 Remake, maybe Forza(?) Getting nominations or wins but Burning Shores has been incredible so far, surpassing the original release in many areas.

Here a video I made as a reference of what time talking about. I'm really enjoying my time with it. What do you all think, graphics of the year?

Skifi28

It looked great, but I don't think there was much if any tangible improvement from the base game and being just a DLC in a year with so many big releases, I find it very unlikely.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
There's times throughout the year I like to make videos for specific games just to practice video editing in my free time.

Making a Horizon Burning Shores video this morning and I was blown away by how crisp, detailed and smooth the entire game has been so far. Will it take the top spot for Best Technical Achievement/Graphics of the year?

I can see potentially Spider-Man 2, RE4 Remake, maybe Forza(?) Getting nominations or wins but Burning Shores has been incredible so far, surpassing the original release in many areas.

Here a video I made as a reference of what time talking about. I'm really enjoying my time with it. What do you all think, graphics of the year?

No, It will be SM2. GG deserves credit for pushing the gen/tech forward very early, but theres too much bugginess in Burning Shores to claim graphics award

Imtjnotu

What about Starfield????!!!
Fresh Prince Jokes GIF by PeacockTV

Xtib81

On consoles, it depends on what Avatar has in store. But it looks very good besides the bad Lod transitions. Cp2077 looks quite good too.

Last edited:

midnightAI

No, It will be SM2. GG deserves credit for pushing the gen/tech forward very early, but theres too much bugginess in Burning Shores to claim graphics award
Bugginess? Hardly, if we are talking purely graphics it could possibly be between the two, which is impressive in itself seeing as how both are open world.

SM2 hasn't released yet so hold your horses on which looks best.

DeepSpace5D

Nice video you made. Burning Shores looks amazing, it’s certainly the frontrunner at the moment.

But I do think people will be surprised at the praise Spider-Man 2 gets in this regard as well, so we’ll see.

Kokoloko85

It looked great, but I don't think there was much if any tangible improvement from the base game and being just a DLC in a year with so many big releases, I find it very unlikely.
The last boss was pretty impressive. Not sure the base game can do the same

T0minator

Only on GAF can you have more comments about Starfield than Horizon Burning Shores in a thread about Horizon Burning Shores.

It's like Todd Howard fucked all their moms or something

It's across all of gaming forums though, not just GAF. Starfield has become a bit of a parody/joke unfortunately. The amounts of hype before launch to see how it turned out to be an average game. It's a good game still, I'm playing through it along side Burning Shores and it's made Horizon very impressive in comparison.

But back on topic, I completely forgot about Cyberpunk 2077 DLC. I can see it getting the nod or even win. Spider-Man 2 in person may impress me more than what I've seen from compressed YouTube videos

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If expansions and updates are allowed then Phantom Liberty with Overdrive.
If Alan Wake 2 has a raytracing implementation thats better than Controls, then both in the fight.
Performance issues be damned the character rendering in Callisto Protocol is on another level.
Speaking of, Dead Space Remake had some gorgeous areas.
Portal RTX also counts as a 2023 title and that shit is bonkers.

Honorable mention to Mortal Kombat 1 (no im not joking).

It certainly not a one horse race and certainly not a given.

P.S Horizon still has the best NPCs in any game ever though, almost every single one is hero quality.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nope on Starfield.

Maybe on Avatar.

Nope on FF16

You're sleeping on SM2
Nah all I’ve done is sm2 comparisons the last few days. It is virtually identical to the first two games. I just did a character model comparison and most people couldn’t tell which game it was from. They already got their props back in the day for rt. Its just not doing enough new things to warrant another inclusion. Maybe top five if someone like digital foundry does a list.

Especially when other games are doing next gen only things like the ff16 titan battles and near cg quality cutscenes, and starfield’s interiors and physics.

I do feel like I’m getting dejavu. Feel like we have discussed this once or twice before. I guess we will find out at the end of the year. Feel free to bookmark this post.

Edit: i forgot about Alan wake 2 so maybe not even top five.

It will probably be something like this:
Cyberpunk
Alan wake 2
Starfield
Ff16

But i understand visual fidelity is subjective so Spider-Man might sneak in above ff16 and starfield. Horizon has no chance though. At least Spider-Man is a brand new game instead of just a short 6 hour dlc with one area.

Last edited:

Three

Technically it won the GDC award last year for the base game and while it's pluasable for the DLC to win again this year because there were not that many releases between then and now that beat Burning Shores I personally think it should go to Phantom Liberty.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You clearly haven't looked at the lighting and improvement in city detail / density at all
Lighting is marginally improved but buildings are mostly the same. The slightly enhanced lighting isn’t going to win any awards though since there are games that are doing much more with the ps5 hardware.

We will see.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's across all of gaming forums though, not just GAF. Starfield has become a bit of a parody/joke unfortunately. The amounts of hype before launch to see how it turned out to be an average game. It's a good game still, I'm playing through it along side Burning Shores and it's made Horizon very impressive in comparison.

But back on topic, I completely forgot about Cyberpunk 2077 DLC. I can see it getting the nod or even win. Spider-Man 2 in person may impress me more than what I've seen from compressed YouTube videos

It really hasn't. GAF disproportionately hates on the game largely due to childish tribalism and console warring.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It really hasn't. GAF disproportionately hates on the game largely due to childish tribalism and console warring.

Lol, no. I believe it's a very good game based on overall consensus but the areas where it gets hate is well deserved and you know it. In a graphics-oriented thread, you should come in expecting Starfield to get rightfully shat on.

Read above. Avatar, ff16, Alan wake 2, phantom Liberty.

Disagree with all of the above.

FF16 looks good in cutscenes, but it's not as impressive in-game. Alan Wake 2 is highly confined linear title. Impressive in its own right, but SM2 is doing it on a much larger scale.

Cyberpunk on console is not more impressive than SM2. It's not really an impressive game at all. Avatar still is a question mark.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Lol, no. I believe it's a very good game based on overall consensus but the areas where it gets hate is well deserved and you know it. In a graphics-oriented thread, you should come in expecting Starfield to get rightfully shat on.

Why?

Bethesda has never been known for top-tier visuals and this is undoubtedly the best looking game they've ever made. The game is inconsistent visually but can and does frequently look incredible.

We didn't see Elden Ring get this type of vitriol despite it running and looking like shit on a technical level.

It's all rooted in an embarrassing amount of console warrior cringe.

It's not just about the graphics the performance should matter as well Forza might get a nod if they improve on the final product, Avatar definitely, Spider-Man 2 for sure, Alan Wake 2 and Starfield PC will all get nods DF might skip Horizon because it's DLC. This year has been pretty amazing to me from a graphics standpoint and don't forget Lord's of the Fallen if it can improve upon release.

No it fucking didn't.

It got backlash, as any game does, but you didn't see this constant over-the-top, brigading other unrelated threads just to troll type shit that you see all over these boards.

Are you daft? It's a graphics thread. Of course it's going to get brought up

Last edited:
Top Bottom