• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riddick: What's the deal with inconsistencies?

GLoK

Did a quick search through a bunch of other riddick threads, but didn't notice any topics along this line. I picked up Riddick a few days ago and just beat it after some hardcore no bathroom breaks playing.

If you haven't played the game through to the end, seen pitch black or the CoR movie, you probably shouldn't bother reading the rest of my post.. if I bothered to spoiler tag from here on, the entire post would be black.

Anyway.. NO READING BEYOND THIS POINT IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS

Did I miss something there seems to be some pretty huge plot differences between the game and the way Riddick and Johns describe the past in Pitch Black. In Pitch Black, Riddick says he paid for the eye job with a pack of 20 menthol cools to a DOCTOR.

They seem to try to play this up as him not remembering things correctly (the quote "it's funny how you choose to remember the past" from the voice in his head), but come on. There's no Menthol Kools involved, it's a voice box, and it's not a doctor, it's some preacher dude, and he doesn't shine the eyes at all, he just happens to be present when the eyes get their shine.

Is Riddick just lying to Jack in Pitch Black or what? Did I miss a plot point somewhere that everyone else picked up on? And why does he continue the lie AGAIN in Crematoria (In Chronicles of Riddick) when Jack/Kira says there were no doctors to shine her eyes?

That's not it either. Johns describes the way Riddick escaped as piloting the ship himself.. but he also throws in a comment "He also figured out how to kill his co-pilot". But... the Co-Pilot is Johns! So... obviously he didn't kill the co-pilot at all.

I'm hoping I'm missing something.. I'm still a little pissed that they turned the eye shine into some kind of divine intervention. It had a lot more cool going for it in the sense of the universe when it had to do with Riddick's eyes getting shined by a doctor rather than a voice in his head.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i havent seen the new riddick movie, but my friend says they kind of explained that part. sorry i cant eloborate ;)

GLoK said:
Did I miss something there seems to be some pretty huge plot differences between the game and the way Riddick and Johns describe the past in Pitch Black. In Pitch Black, Riddick says he paid for the eye job with a pack of 20 menthol cools to a DOCTOR.

They seem to try to play this up as him not remembering things correctly (the quote "it's funny how you choose to remember the past" from the voice in his head), but come on. There's no Menthol Kools involved, it's a voice box, and it's not a doctor, it's some preacher dude, and he doesn't shine the eyes at all, he just happens to be present when the eyes get their shine.

Is Riddick just lying to Jack in Pitch Black or what? Did I miss a plot point somewhere that everyone else picked up on? And why does he continue the lie AGAIN in Crematoria (In Chronicles of Riddick) when Jack/Kira says there were no doctors to shine her eyes?

That's not it either. Johns describes the way Riddick escaped as piloting the ship himself.. but he also throws in a comment "He also figured out how to kill his co-pilot". But... the Co-Pilot is Johns! So... obviously he didn't kill the co-pilot at all.

I'm hoping I'm missing something.. I'm still a little pissed that they turned the eye shine into some kind of divine intervention. It had a lot more cool going for it in the sense of the universe when it had to do with Riddick's eyes getting shined by a doctor rather than a voice in his head.

1. You're right on the first one. I assume it's some tie-in with the movie which I refuse to see because it looks so dumb. Either way, I absoultely hate, *HATE*, the whole "destiny" angle they went with. It would have been best if he did get the shine just by paying for it with 20 packs. Personally, I just thought it was lame how they pulled it off in Butcher Bay. I totally agree with you there.

2. I know Johns isn't exactly a nice guy or a trustworthy one but neither is Riddick. Why the hell did he save Johns? Johns story in Pitch Black seems more likely than Riddicks sudden charity toward his captor though I guess Riddick's version will be seen as "canon" for whatever stupid reason.

Government coverup with black marker!!!

Fjord

Riddick didn't want to admit that he'd been given the vision through supernatural methods. I liked his relationship with John, I don't see what you're all complaining about.

Dead

well not really...yet
Spoilers!

Riddicks eyes are a gift from his Furian heritage and a lot of the footage about this in the film was cut. He was lying about it being a shine job in jail

Deku Tree

I haven't read all the blacked out spoiler text because I haven't seen the second movie yet, but I have seen the first move and finished the game.

So who's the Doctor guy in the opening cinema of the game?

Deku Tree

BeOnEdge said:
doctor guy? u mean the long hair dreadlock guy? its riddick.

Nope. I'm talking about the white guy who you see in the opening credits of the game, before you even start a game just watching what happens after you turn on your xbox with Riddick in it.

raYne

Wow... just wow... you would've thought the Starbreeze logo at the end of the "scene" was a dead giveaway.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
DeadStar said:
Spoilers!

Riddicks eyes are a gift from his Furian heritage and a lot of the footage about this in the film was cut. He was lying about it being a shine job in jail

what i didnt understand, though, was why the other Furian, the one who helped him out on Crematorium, didnt have the same eyes?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
quadriplegicjon said:
what i didnt understand, though, was why the other Furian, the one who helped him out on Crematorium, didnt have the same eyes?

Perhaps it's some sort of physical development thing... sort of like how people develop motor skills at different times

Ristamar

I don't believe Riddick's eyes had anything to do with his heritage. After all, the necros would've immediately knew he was Furion without the mental probe considering they nearly wiped the race out of existence.

Redbeard

Banned
I don't know how to make the text black, so don't look down...
His eyeshine was a "gift" in Escape, I don't think it has anything to do with his heritage. Mabye it was just something to help him get out of Butcher Bay alive so he could fulfill his destiny. *groan*

I suspect that while originally his eyeshine was indeed just a paid for operation, the character's history was changed in order to better fit in with the expanded storyline.

GONZO

I believe that furians have the ability to adapt to their environment. That could be why they are so feared. They could be the ultimate warior race. Riddick was in the dark a long time so his body shined his eyes. Sinse he doesn't know that he's furian or even what a furian is he never has a clue. IF you were a race of world conquerers wouldn't you fear a planet filled with a race of creatures that can adapt to anything physically and never bend their will to anyone.

I actualy don't think that Riddick was intentionaly lying when he said it was from the doctor, because first off, calling that guy doctor wasnt that much of a strech, because they guy DID know how to treat his wound. And secondaly, if you guys recall when the eyeshine first starts developing he jumps at Joe (the Dr. guy). So I think Riddick blamed him for it, And by the time of Pitch Black, he still hadnt figured out what happend, and just wrote it off as something he could explain. As for the thing about the menthols, maybe they for whaever reason didnt show him giving them to Joe just prior to the opporation.

And as for his saying the line again about the menthols in the CoR, I think it was more said just because it was just a 'thing' between him and Jack. Jack just took it more seriously it seemed.

~Black Deatha

vibribbon

quadriplegicjon said:

He actually did - at least they alluded to it. Just before he walked into the heat, his eyes flashed blue like Riddick's. It seemed to be a deliberate reference.

one thing no one seems to be mentioning:

i'm pretty sure the lady talking to riddick in the beginning of the game (he's in an artic environment and has the beard and long hair) is the elemental from the movie. she also talks to him when he gets his "eyes". it's as if she made that happen in some way or the other...

it's a shame that the new movie isn't performing well because i'd love to see a sequel. while i find vin diesel to be a complete cornball and there were certainly a bunch of bad one-liners in the film, the ending was absolutely awesome. it provided an interesting set-up for a sequel. maybe we'll get one anyway?

Top Bottom