• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 6 Hands-On..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
havent seen the video yet, but those screen caps look KILLER. i love the asphalt

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Looks great to me. I have no beef with the graphics, they're actually better than I was expecting.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Johnnyram was correct when he predicted Ridge Racer 6 would just be an empty track in 1st person, just like the TGS showing of Ridge Racers for PSP.

Argyle

xexex said:
Just Saw the video!

finally, after 10 years, the texture mapping of Rave Racer has been surpassed in a Ridge Racer game

(and no way, PS2 RRV and PSP Ridge Racers textures are not as good as 1995's Rave Racer)

???!?!??

op_ivy

my computer plays it in very slo-mo, but i fail to see how some of you guys ARENT impressed. that shit looks HOT

Shompola

Banned
Ok. I rewatched it and it looks better than I initally thought. Soft shadows, grass on the fields and other neat things. Too bad the rocks look so so...

GhaleonEB

I can see why they didn't release any screens before the video. Just pics would have looked 'meh' - some of the objects like trees have simple geometry and the rock textures are really flat - but in motion it looks fantastic.

Smart way to debut a game. I'm not a big RR fan, but the vid was a bit exhilarating.

And WTF was up with the Pac-Man popping up in the lower left corner? :lol

Oh, and 60fps makes ALL the difference. You hear me, Bizzare?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
looks pretty nice :D

60fps = Good!

Edit:

This and a couple games might get me to get a Xbox 360.. assuming this is not ported to the PS3...

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
And WTF was up with the Pac-Man popping up in the lower left corner? :lol

new to ridge racer? thats how the games have always shown the +/- times of the cars ahead and behind you

DarkCloud

Exactly how is that underwhelming? I think I'll enjoy this whenever I grab up a 360.

Any word on what kind of features this game will have?

----

Banned
Outrun 2? You're nuts the texture quality blows OutRun2 out of the water. The road looks way better than PGR3. Buildings don't look as good as PGR3, but the lighting looks more natural. I'd really like to see some cars though.

The game looks great so far, but it's hard to tell when it's not direct feed.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
O.K. I'm at work on my WiFi connection...

Blimblim said:
I'm just saying that the visual style seems to me like the PSP version. Of course the visuals are much better. Not on PGR3's level though, that's for sure.
Isamu: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks for clearing that up. All kidding aside and to be completely frank, I do NOT care that much about the visuals. But the core gameplay and physics from past RRs is a fucking MUST The fact that Gamespot mentioned nitro boost is back is a MAJOR red flag imho!!! I do not want "nitro-look at me I'm in a ricer-boost" in my RR games.

Blim here's the zillion dollar question.....did they have steering wheels setup at the booth? If not, did you inquire about FF wheel support?

Blimblim said:
Shaky cam 540p50 gameplay video :
http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_1673_1_en.html
I have another one with an outside car view, but no time to upload it. The reflections are really excellent looking.

God DAYUM that's a bug-ass file!! 100+mb? I'll never get around to downloading it here at this hotspot. Got a mirror to a smaller link?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
downloading now. screens look nice enough, though. dunno why namco haven't released any. hope it makes US launch. :)

op_ivy

just watched it on my modbox and it looks really really good to me.

Ironclad

Just watched the video a few times. Looks good. Looks really good. Nice details. Essentailly the same HUD as the PSP version though, except everything is thrown on the right side of the screen. Hope it makes it to launch.

xexex

Banned
like I was saying, as far as Ridge Racer games, Rave Racer's texture-mapping has NOT been beat. that is, until now (FINALLY) :D

Rave Racer - 1995
raver.jpg

raver_a.jpg

raver_b.jpg

raver_c.jpg

Ridge Racer 6 - 2005
picture58ks.png

picture43oj.png

733_0008.jpg

as for framerate: Namco vs Bizzare

guess who's getting my money, and who's not? :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
isamu said:
O.K. I'm at work on my WiFi connection...

Thanks for clearing that up. All kidding aside and to be completely frank, I do NOT care that much about the visuals. But the core gameplay and physics from past RRs is a fucking MUST The fact that Gamespot mentioned nitro boost is back is a MAJOR red flag imho!!! I do not want "nitro-look at me I'm in a ricer-boost" in my RR games.

Blim here's the zillion dollar question.....did they have steering wheels setup at the booth? If not, did you inquire about FF wheel support?
There was a wheel by Hori on display at the booth, but it was not FF.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OH GOD I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!!

I'm 10% into the download and reading all these impressions of the vid and seeing those screencaps is driving me up the FUCKING WALL!!!

COME ON DOWNLOAD....11%!!!!!!! OMFG I'M GONNA RIP MY COCK OFF WAITING FOR THIS VID!!!

isamu

Blimblim said:

Hmmm....interesting

16%!!!!!

op_ivy

picture43oj.png

i love the confetti falling everywhere in this part of the video. very nice touch. the game definitely captures the rr feeling (cant wait to hear the music), but it does seem to have some of that outrun 2 magic as well, in that it seems like around every corner, the next vista is almost entirely different scenery and that the backdrops strect out for days at some points.

Shompola

Banned
---- said:
Outrun 2? You're nuts the texture quality blows OutRun2 out of the water. The road looks way better than PGR3. Buildings don't look as good as PGR3, but the lighting looks more natural. I'd really like to see some cars though.

The game looks great so far, but it's hard to tell when it's not direct feed.

It was my initial impression... It does look on whole different level than Out Run 2.

isamu

Blimblim said:

Hmmm....interesting

40%!!!!!

Edit: I would like to hear from Stinkles, as he promised to ask the Namco reps if RR6 would support force feedback. Stinkles, where ya at home-skillet? :D

eso76

picture43oj.png

wow, this looks really, really good

Btw, i was interested in seeing car models. WHERE ARE THEY?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
moan about PGR not showing in-game; moan about RR6 showing in game.... Who plays RR in 3rd person? the camera is fucked up and its unplayable.

Anyway, Namco, please don't update cybersled next gen. We don't need the pain. THX

Bebpo

Banned
Looks gorgeous. If PGR3 ends up at 30fps I think Ridge 360 will be enough to last me until the next great 60fps racer :)

Top Bottom