• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 6 Hands-On..

bloke

Looks pretty good, and yes it's a subjective thing, but...

RR6 artstyle >>>>>>>>>>> PGR3 artstyle

won't get into 30/60fps debate :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Just got done watching the video........

ridgeracerholycrap9mx.jpg

OH....MY.....GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! BlimBlim, are you positive you're not under the influence???? Cuz this game looks ABSOLUTELY FUCKING BADASS!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't look as good as PGR3?????? ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR FUCKING MIND???????? This game takes a massive, Mt. Fuji-size dump from Mars on PGR3!!!!! PGR3 has just been raped by a dildo the size of a FIVE FOOTBALL FIELDS!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD I JUST PEED AND JIZZED AT THE SAME!

This game is going to be nothing short of RIDICULOUSY OUTSTANDING!!! 60FPS AND those kind of visuals??? It's OVER!!!!!!!!!!! And Xexex is absolutely righ....the textures are the cleanest textures yet!!!!! They're so clean I'm drying myself off with them!!

OMFG DID YOU GUYS WATCH THE SAME VIDEO I JUST DID???? The graphics are an eye candy tour de-fucking-force!!! I want to eat them all right now, spit them out and then eat them again!!!!!

BlimBlim I cannot thank you enough for this vid!!!! You are BY FAR the greatest GAFFER in the history of the forum!!!!!!!! Way to go man!!!!!!!!!

*goes back to watching the vid at least 261 more times*

atom-bomb-orange2.gif

Did I mention I just bought a plane ticket to Japan so I can go to Namco Headquarters and felat the entire RR6 dev team to the fucking max????

stormrock2nl.gif
stormrock2nl.gif
stormrock2nl.gif
stormrock2nl.gif
stormrock2nl.gif

OMFG I think I'm pregnant with the producer of RR6's baby!!!!!!

....wait a minute.....it moved!!!

ourumov

Isamu it's ok you hiperbolize as always...
And although the game looks clean and nice I think it looks a bit empty...Dunno but I expected more.

swordsman

Banned
That's the trade off Bizarre Creations have to do. GFX over the frame rate..

Is it 100 % with 60 frames/secondes for RR6?

Almost like PSP version?...Damn I do have the game but my PSP is still not arrived yet:(
Can't wait for the stuff...

Already reserced my xbox360 premium set +perfectdark se..
Let's rock then..

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
swordsman said:
That's the trade off Bizarre Creations have to do. GFX over the frame rate..

eggzackly. and it's the right thing to do!!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I played it. Plays just like the PSP version - that is great.

The graphics are the best RR graphics ever, but the palette is cartoony and the look is "video gamey' and deliberately so. If Namco made it for PS3 it would look exactly the same, and on purpose.

In short, I love it.

Looks really clean and reminds me of the first time I ever saw RR1 in the arcade...buttery smooth and dominated by impossibly clean lines. As for PGR3, it would be nice to see them delay a month or two if it meant 60fps, though I'll buy it running at 30, anyway.

isamu

raYne said:
Looks better than I thought it would, but PGR3 it is not.

So wait just a cotton picken minute.....

You're telling me that this:

attachment.php

does not look as good as this:

726_0002.jpg

LAUGHING MY BALLS OFF!!!

The naysayers will be in denial until they see pgr3 running and then pop in RR6 at 60fps and see just how painful it will be to back to a 30fps racer!!!! :lol

Looks good, but I'm super excited for how it's going to play. I bet the sense of speed is great (especially in first-person)

Please, please, be ready on launch day. Sale +1.

Wollan

slidewinder said:
Does that include the PSP version's computer-guided drifting, or is it more like the console versions there?

The PSP version plays like all ridge racers have played since the original PSOne launch game.

isamu

Stinkles what's the deal with force feedback support? Did you ask Namco reps whether it's supported or not? C"mon man you promised :D

RR6 is looking awesome. With the turbo system and drifting from the psp version ... im loving it.

Can't wait to play you guys on Live. (in 2006) :(

Damn Australian release.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, that looks really really nice. The view of the city in the distance was impressive and it has a great sense of style. I want to see some cars, though, as that was the weakest design area of the PSP version...

My only complaint is how they handled the road textures. It's fine to use such a detailed texture, but I think they should have tried handling it like MotoGP on XBOX and swap in blurrier "speed" textures as you start to go faster. When stopped, have insane detail, when at high speed, blur it. Looked really really cool and would work great here.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The view as you top the hill was gorgeous.... you know I really have this love hate relationship with the RR series now... back in the day I didn't care that the city was lifeless the trees didn't move, etc.... now I'd really like to see that stuff.... still it's Ridger Racer so I'll probably be there regardless. ;)

raYne

isamu said:
So wait just a cotton picken minute.....

You're telling me that this:

attachment.php

does not look as good as this:

726_0002.jpg

LAUGHING MY BALLS OFF!!!

The naysayers will be in denial until they see pgr3 running and then pop in RR6 at 60fps and see just how painful it will be to back to a 30fps racer!!!! :lol
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. And it also isn't pushing everything PGR3 is ie full scaled cities with the ability to go everywhere (via track editing) inside them. Hmm.. I stand by my statement.

And before you go further into anti-troll mode. Go take your meds since I'm already getting both kplzthanx.

Defensive people are so amusing...
Looks pretty good, and yes it's a subjective thing, but...

RR6 artstyle >>>>>>>>>>> PGR3 artstyle

won't get into 30/60fps debate
Yeah.. realism blows... :p

MrSingh

watched it, but didn't play it. the graphics are OK. very nice image quality (AA in effect), and lots of bump mapping + bloom lighting effects. (nicely done, not gratuituous). there's also a motion blur effect when the car burns nitro.

and yes it's 60fps.

can't wait for the final game.

Jonnyram

The handling was exactly like Ridge Racers on the PSP, it seemed.
The track in the demo wasn't enough to test out the absolutely crazy piss easy drifting that the PSP version had, but I did some pretty crazy 360 spins without even blinking which was a bit worrying. Turbos in full effect too. Graphics were awesome though. I thought it was 60 fps personally, and the lighting was something you'll never see this gen.

isamu

LOL @ at the people saying it looks "OK" :lol :lol :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I watched the video...it looked so slow, but I assume that's because they didn't show any of the faster cars? Also, where are the opponents? Maybe it's just me, but the road seemed wider than usual. And is this still a 360 launch game?
And to anyone who played the game, did you manage to hear the music?

Matlock

Banned
Like I said earlier--not really fair to compare. It's a beautiful game, but the art style (arcade/cartoon) is so much different from PGR (realism).

Beowvlf

Banned
It definitely looks nice, and very crisp, but I have a feeling if it wasn't named Ridge Racer it would receive an almost unanimous 'meh' from this board. It's still early though, but I have serious doubts that Namco will be able to (properly) finish this in time for December. I know the PSP version was at the same state last year, but that's a bit different; it's not the same as a full blown console iteration in the series.

I really hope Namco doesn't rush this, but either way I'm thinking they might add a shitton of extra content to the PS3 version. It's all seeming a bit bare bones on the 360 so far. We shall see.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Looks pretty good. And if it is indeed 60 FPS, then that automatically makes it at least four times better than PGR3.

ziran

MightyHedgehog said:
Looks really clean and reminds me of the first time I ever saw RR1 in the arcade...buttery smooth and dominated by impossibly clean lines.
that's what i thought.

i think it looks impressive!

ourumov said:
Isamu it's ok you hiperbolize as always...
And although the game looks clean and nice I think it looks a bit empty...Dunno but I expected more.

Good Lord :rolleyes:

the universal praise here is refreshing. I was expecting everyone to talk about the art style not being what they expected.

However you get the usual complaints from people saying how it does not have PGR3's detail while that same person would complain that PGR3 is not 60 fps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really really think it looks nice. There are aspects to the visuals that look a bit...different from typical Ridge style, but the overall look is lovely.

For some reason, the way the ground looks combined with some of the trees and such really reminds me of Apex. I don't know why, but I keep thinking Apex. :\

I'm totally jumping on this right away.

raYne

FirstInHell said:
However you get the usual complaints from people saying how it does not have PGR3's detail while that same person would complain that PGR3 is not 60 fps.
Not I.. I don't care about the 30 vs 60 debate at all.. :lol
man the car drives 250...two fifty o_O
250.. kph. :p

Optimistic said:
What? PGR is going for a realistic look, but no you're right, real life is bad art, AM I RITE!? :lol

tell me whats more realistic about PGR3s look?

as long as there are no photorealistic graphics you really should stop such bullshit statements.

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:
The handling was exactly like Ridge Racers on the PSP, it seemed.
The track in the demo wasn't enough to test out the absolutely crazy piss easy drifting that the PSP version had, but I did some pretty crazy 360 spins without even blinking which was a bit worrying. Turbos in full effect too. Graphics were awesome though. I thought it was 60 fps personally, and the lighting was something you'll never see this gen.

Are we getting the same recycled tracks from the PSP version or are we getting all new tracks too?

I love Ridge Racers on PSP. But I don't want to buy a next gen carbon copy. Here is hoping RR6 has a ton of new tracks.

Zep

Banned
I wanna see the other tracks...if that demo track is any indication, i know this is game is gonna be a keeper.

I don't think they'd name it '6' if the game weren't built around original tracks. I expect original tracks will be unlocked or maybe purchased through Live Marketplace. If we're lucky enough to get them at all.

ourumov

the universal praise here is refreshing. I was expecting everyone to talk about the art style not being what they expected.

The artstyle is perfect and I have admitted that I think it looks awesome. But at some points the game feels empty. Best looking RR game to date ? Sure. Is it wrong to expect a bit more ?
Dunno...perhaps it was the lack of cars.

I hate that every negative comment about an X360 game brings so many problems.

Elios83

I expected more from Namco,bringing the exact gameplay of a handheld game on a next gen console is not really exciting.And technically is great but far from amazing.

DCharlie

Banned
will isamu go over the edge?....

x360_wheel.jpg

?

I'm not sure it's full force feedback or not, one of the Namco guys said he thought it was though... but nothing specific on the spec sheet to the right.

Looks sturdy though.

Top Bottom