• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVIL

aNNnH.jpg

Rave.

as I thought, its a temple, they investigate, find the giant face and the urns. They get bioscanned and the jockey ship arrives and crashes. maybe shot by the large ufo seen in one of the shots.

edit: I should not analyse this trailer to much, I still want to enjoy the movie when it comes out.

its time for a MEDIASTOP!

nomis

30 years from now, I guarantee you that Alien will still hold up better than Prometheus.

This is asinine. The effects in this trailer look incredible, and there's no uncanny valley worry with full-CGI characters, because it has none. We've come to a point with modern CGI that effects of the type in Prometheus will barely ever look better than they do now, because there is so much precision in the lighting and shading and textures already.

I've no qualms with photorealistic CG. It's when it looks like plasticine that we have a problem. Watching that trailer, we don't have a problem.

It depends for me. I like a bit of phoniness in special FX. I can usually tell an old matte painting in a movie. I love the original King Kong but it looks nowhere near real. But I also like how fake some of the CG in The Mist looks, especially those tentacles.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011...iler-damon-lindelof-on-ridley-scotts-riddles/

Damon Lindelof said:
“One part of me sort of wants to be working on something where I can say, ‘This is exactly what this is’ without being secretive or mysterious but I think that with the genesis of this a couple of years ago — when Ridley announced that he wanted to make an ‘Alien’ prequel — that’s where this began and where it’s evolved to is this conversation: Is it or isn’t it [an 'Alien' prequel]? And I think this little sort of dance that we’re doing basically existed prior to anybody seeing anything. Now that people are seeing stuff I think the material kind of speaks for itself. If you’re looking at it through the prism of ‘I want it to be that,’ you’ll notice the way the word ‘Prometheus’ comes up [in a way that resembles the 'Alien' classic logo] or look at the production design and the way the whole thing feels. If you’re looking at it from the perspective of wanting it to be something more original, I think the trailer accomplishes that by being pretty cool to people who have never even seen ‘Alien.’”

That last line makes absolutely zero sense. "If you wanted this to be something more original, uh, go back in time and stop yourself from seeing Alien." Of course it looks new to people who haven't seen Alien, that's not even saying anything.

PersonaX

that would be Guy Pearce character which hasn't been seen yet

Guy with the glasses looks like Pearce, also, he seems to share that funny looking cap with Fassbender's character...is it somekind of an android cap?...maybe Guy IS the second android, but why would an android have glasses? to fit in perhaps...okay, i stop.

bD5ww.jpg

Snaku

Banned
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011...iler-damon-lindelof-on-ridley-scotts-riddles/

That last line makes absolutely zero sense. "If you wanted this to be something more original, uh, go back in time and stop yourself from seeing Alien."

I have to think that this is all Fox PR bullshit, and has Tom Rothman's stench all over it. They're so embarrassed by the Alien franchise, having run it into the ground with four horrible films, that they're doing everything in their power to distance Prometheus from it.

nomis

That last line makes absolutely zero sense. "If you wanted this to be something more original, uh, go back in time and stop yourself from seeing Alien."

You're misinterpreting it. He's saying that they are trying to make something more original than just setting out to make an Alien prequel. Where the mysteries and conflict aren't just predecessors or a remake of the first film.

"If you’re looking at it from the perspective of wanting it to be something more original"

"We looked at it as needing to stand on it's own ground with original ideas"

"I think the trailer accomplishes that by being pretty cool to people who have never even seen ‘Alien.’"

"The trailer seems to have excited both people who recognize the classic Alien visuals, and also people who just think it looks fucking badass"

It's an interesting trailer but I don't understand the hype around it purely based on what it shows. Did someone yesterday say it looked better than Avatar?

Nizz

Anyone else having problems trying to watch the trailer on the movie's site itself using Chrome? It says I need to install a plug-in but then Apple says I have everything up to date.

Dan

That's not what it says. It says that Lindelof thinks both people who have seen Alien and those who don't know anything about the franchise should be excited by the trailer.

You're misinterpreting it. He's saying that they are trying to make something more original than just setting out to make an Alien prequel. Where the mysteries and conflict aren't just predecessors or a remake of the first film.

"If you’re looking at it from the perspective of wanting it to be something more original"

"We looked at it as needing to stand on it's own ground with original ideas"

"I think the trailer accomplishes that by being pretty cool to people who have never even seen ‘Alien.’"

"The trailer seems to have excited both people who recognize the classic Alien visuals, and also people who just think it looks fucking badass"

Er, I don't think so. He's saying people who wanted it to be like Alien should be pleased, then he tries to say something about what the movie will be like for those wanting something more original and then doesn't actually answer that.

I know overall in that interview he's saying it's just a rehash and all that, but the statement I highlighted is stupid and meaningless.

nero2082

Anyone else having problems trying to watch the trailer on the movie's site itself using Chrome? It says I need to install a plug-in but then Apple says I have everything up to date.

try this 1080p rip

http://www.mediafire.com/?1vxhixyv9a3x9v9

Guy with the glasses looks like Pearce, also, he seems to share that funny looking cap with Fassbender's character...is it somekind of an android cap?...maybe Guy IS the second android, but why would an android have glasses? to fit in perhaps...okay, i stop.

fantastic find, we're gettin somewhere, weird thing is that Scott said main cast is Rapace Fassbender Pearce and Theron and Guy is missing on the trailer

MollyMillions

Neo Member

That last line makes absolutely zero sense. "If you wanted this to be something more original, uh, go back in time and stop yourself from seeing Alien." Of course it looks new to people who haven't seen Alien, that's not even saying anything.

Pretty sure Lindelof is saying that for people who really know the Alien films, the trailer makes it clear that this happens in the same world. For people who only think of the franchise as the xenomorph suit/facehugger, etc. (and all the cheap shittiness that it's been associated with for the last decade and a half), that this is NOT that. It's not an "Alien Franchise" prequel. It's Ridley returning to the same world and themes and doing something more ambitious than a haunted house story with it.

Also, for those who are wondering, the upside-down woman who looks like Sigourney is Noomi Rapace. Ridley has mentioned multiple times that Noomi's character is the "Ripley" of this film, i.e., the character who shows surprising toughness and resolve and survives longer than most of the cast.

nomis

Er, I don't think so. He's saying people who wanted it to be like Alien should be pleased, then he tries to say something about what the movie will be like for those wanting something more original and then doesn't actually answer that.

I know overall in that interview he's saying it's just a rehash and all that, but the statement I highlighted is stupid and meaningless.

He's saying that people who are able to see the Alien-ness in the universe will be pleased, and people who don't know/give a shit about it being in the same universe as Alien will also be pleased. i.e. "For those wanting something more original" (than a straight prequel to Alien), this won't just be a rehash.

Dan

If you’re looking at it from the perspective of wanting it to be something more original, I think the trailer accomplishes that by being pretty cool to people who have never even seen ‘Alien.’”
You guys really not understanding that line? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Saying that is the same thing anyone doing actual remakes would say. Of course it will look new to people who haven't seen Alien, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Alien fans who were concerned about this being too tied into that movie.

Oy, I'm not even disputing the overall gist of the interview, just having a laugh it his stupid statement.

He's saying that people who are able to see the Alien-ness in the universe will be pleased, and people who don't know/give a shit about it being in the same universe as Alien will also be pleased. i.e. "For those wanting something more original" (than a straight prequel to Alien), this won't just be a rehash.
I'll make the leap and play along as if that's what he's saying and say that few were ever concerned about it being a rehash. That's a strawman. The concern Alien fans had was that the tie-ins would detract from the original film's mystery. It's been clear for ages that they weren't just doing another monster-on-a-spaceship film.

What I really like in this trailer is the camera work. Or rather, the lack of camera movement (except at the end with things crashing down).

There are scenes were the camera just stands there even though someone is getting sucked out into space. THAT is how it should be. It really puts emphasis on them being by themselves, and of being mere little insects in the grand scheme of things.

I hope it's mostly like this, rather than someone running with a camera or shaking it every time something dramatic happens.

It's the right way to handle the camera in an alien movie: make it feel like you can only watch and not intervene. Like they are alone, separate from you, and there is nothing you can do about it.

This. A sci-fi movie should be exactly like space. No sound, just a vacuum.

Guys, what if this is like as good as Alien. It would be insane to see an instant classic unfold before our very eyes, so rare nowadays.

You guys really not understanding that line? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Saying that is the same thing anyone doing actual remakes would say. Of course it will look new to people who haven't seen Alien, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Alien fans who were concerned about this being too tied into that movie.

Oy, I'm not even disputing the overall gist of the interview, just having a laugh it his stupid statement.

I'll make the leap and play along as if that's what he's saying and say that few were ever concerned about it being a rehash. That's a strawman. The concern Alien fans had was that the tie-ins would detract from the original film's mystery. It's been clear for ages that they weren't just doing another monster-on-a-spaceship film.

I understood. Are you still down on the film simply because it is in fact connected to Alien? Did the trailer do nothing for you?

Guys, what if this is like as good as Alien. It would be insane to see an instant classic unfold before our very eyes, so rare nowadays.

Please, don't start that line of thinking again. Can we not just look forward to an ambitious, epic sci fi film without putting the expectation on it that it will be an immediate classic with the greats?

If everything is right with the world in 2012 this might actually beat Avatar at the boxoffice.

u jelly Cameron?

LOL! Now THIS is funny.

The Shift

Banned
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually really dig the look of their space-suits in this. Its the sort of thing I grew up seeing on the cover of old hard sci-fi novels. Love it.

Nostalgia this

On topic - thoughts on what mission the supposed Space Jockeys are on. Hasn't it been hinted that they are seeding the galaxy with various lifeforms?(Ridley has quoted Daniken/Chariots of the Gods as an inspiration right?) Those containers must house various types of organisms designed for different environments and purposes - not just xenomorphs. A few shots look like the crew have opened some canisters with different strains/DNA and are being effectively morphed into a new species District 9 style.

The wait is for this is agonizing. Sad face.

Solo

If everything is right with the world in 2012 this might actually beat Avatar at the boxoffice.

No movie is going to beat Avatar at the box office for at least a decade. Lets not talk crazy here.

But Prometheus should be a better movie than Avatar based on this initial trailer, so Cameron might be jelly of Prometheus from that perspective.

Please, don't start that line of thinking again. Can we not just look forward to an ambitious, epic sci fi film without putting the expectation on it that it will be an immediate classic with the greats?

LOL! Now THIS is funny.

That is all I'm expecting but I'm just curious if Scott actually has it in him.

I can't think of the last blockbuster that can be considered as such, mostly smaller films that achieve the status.

randomwab

u jelly Cameron?

It will never beat Avatar. I dislike Avatar, I felt like Cameron was pandering to the lowest common denominator with that film. That said, it was a behemoth that Prometheus has no chance of touching.

Dan

I understood. Are you still down on the film simply because it is in fact connected to Alien? Did the trailer do nothing for you?

The trailer has me really excited, but I am still scared of them ruining some of the mysteries. I kinda wish he'd just thrown it in another universe and used the same aesthetic and some thematic ties. I hate how so many filmmakers have been going back to old properties and exploring mysteries. Answers are rarely as interesting and cool as the questions.

FStop7

Banned
If something can't be done with practical effects then it shouldn't be done at all. Most directors nowadays are too busy drooling over CGI that becomes dated within a few years. In 30 years from now, I guarantee you that Alien will still hold up better than Prometheus.

Blocked.

Look at her eye lids... something's wierd... mutating?

I have a feeling that she is getting into an escape pod because they try to stop the Alien ship from taking off by crashing into it. That is her last ditch effort to leave the ship. Hence the secondary explosion by the alien ship all the wreckage raining down on the people running from it as it back down

And no,it has no chance of beating Avatar at the box office. This isn't a multi generational, cultural, worldwide appeal sort of film thematically like Titanic and Avatar were.

Let us hope. There is nothing better than two master directors, notorious for their Sci-Fi projects competing with each other.

Watching each of them raise the bar higher can only ever be a good thing.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior

u jelly Cameron?

as much as i would love for this to be the case.
no.
avatar is completely accessible to all audiences regardless of age, gender, or nationality. and is really well done considering this. it's really almost like star wars.

prometheus....is like Alien. dark, deep sci-fi will never, ever, ever do as well as the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom