• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Patrick Wilson is in it? OH MAH GAWD!

I love me some Patrick Wilson.

Kinyou

Yep, definitely a fan of the suit design

suitq2j0t.jpg

Koodo

Banned
Let us hope. There is nothing better than two master directors, notorious for their Sci-Fi projects competing with each other.

Watching each of them raise the bar higher can only ever be a good thing.
At the rate the two put out films, that bar is going to be rising tragically slow.

The trailer has me really excited, but I am still scared of them ruining some of the mysteries. I kinda wish he'd just thrown it in another universe and used the same aesthetic and some thematic ties. I hate how so many filmmakers have been going back to old properties and exploring mysteries. Answers are rarely as interesting and cool as the questions.

Okay, well that's fair enough. So long as you're not immediately throwing the movie under the bus based on its connection to Alien. I get the feeling it won't be a story about Xenomorphs or the aliens themselves, so much as using the Space Jockey to tell a completely different story.

I kind of see this as what The Second Rennaisance is to The Matrix. Yes, one is inherently linked to the foundations of the other, but they're very different stories.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That is all I'm expecting but I'm just curious if Scott actually has it in him.

I can't think of the last blockbuster that can be considered as such, mostly smaller films that achieve the status.

That "status" is retarded anyway. Nothing is an instant classic. That's just sensationalist nonsense.

Lennington

Neo Member
This trailer is awesome. I would love to see Ridley and Giger team up and do Hyperion or I have no mouth and I must Scream. Could you guys imagine the ensemble cast Ridley would put together and Giger's imagining of The Shrike?

There was talk a few years back of a Hyperion movie going into production. Dan posted it on his website but it seems to have fallen through. A Giger-designed Shrike would indeed be awesome, and the tree of thorns.

Hate on Avatar all you want. Whilst I think this has the potential to be much better, the fact is that Avatar is what provoked Scott to finally get his ass back into making Scifi. It also made Spielberg finally realise that he should make Tintin.

Hopefully Prometheus gets Spielberg around to finally making Interstellar.

Hate on Avatar all you want. Whilst I think this has the potential to be much better, the fact is that Avatar is what provoked Scott to finally get his ass back into making Scifi. It also made Spielberg finally realise that he should make Tintin.

Hopefully Prometheus gets Spielberg around to finally making Interstellar.

Wow, I'd forgotten all about that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I have no mouth and I must Scream is way, waaay too dark, fucked up and depressing to be adapted. The videogame was sensational, though, and even a pinch Giger-ish.

img-17.png

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
This is about Iraq's future alliances now that they are no longer under foriegn occupation.

Pretty clear which way they will go based on the will of the population .

iraq

magawolaz

Just finished watching Alien and Aliens, I'm so hyped for Prometheus.

Here some sort of wallpaper from the screengrab in the previous page...

Bad compression is bad. Need to find a FullHD version..

Brera

Banned
Fuck me that looks awesome in 1080p....looked awesome in that cam shot earlier this week!

Need to order to alien bluray collection!

Can't wait for the James Cameron sequel though...i'm not joking!

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually really dig the look of their space-suits in this. Its the sort of thing I grew up seeing on the cover of old hard sci-fi novels. Love it.

Agree 100%. Didn't like them in the stills, but getting a closer look at them with proper lighting (or lack thereof) changed my mind.

Love it but still, so much cgi. It really bothers me. Will we ever see another sco fi or fantasy flick without it? I come to think of the problem being that old sfx were done by artist whereas cgi is done by computer nerds. It's just so damn in your face and unimaginative, a constant reproduction of standard fare. I am particularly looking at you lord of the rings.

You know all CGI is designed by artist(s) of some sort, right? Not to mention a ton of CGI starts as highly detailed sculptures/miniatures.

And I didn't really see one thing in this where I immediately thought CGI. It's all well lit and staged--looks great.

After seeing the 1080p still, can't believe someone said this looks generic
lol.gif

FStop7

Banned
Love it but still, so much cgi. It really bothers me. Will we ever see another sco fi or fantasy flick without it? I come to think of the problem being that old sfx were done by artist whereas cgi is done by computer nerds. It's just so damn in your face and unimaginative, a constant reproduction of standard fare. I am particularly looking at you lord of the rings.

Are you high? Effects houses are full of painters, sculptors, animators, etc. Many of them work in other mediums besides digital, too.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
That's....actually a good analogy.

Yup. Just like Neuromancer's "Alien is a great steak, Aliens is a great burger" analogy earlier. Different films with different themes and styles and storytelling objectives. Both (hopefully for Prometheus) successful in what they set out to do.

Tedesco!

Acclaim of course. This film has no chance of touching Avatar's box office. The only person with a chance of dethroning Cameron is Cameron himself.

Not that it will ever happen, but Lucas could give Cameron a run for his money if he were to let someone capable handle the Star Wars franchise.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just listening to the complete Alien score again and it really does establish the tone of the film in the best way possible.

This part in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaT-JX5r8i8#t=2m49s

Marc Streitenfeld has a real job on his hands to even come close to matching the stupendous scores composed by Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Elliot Goldenthal (his score was the best aspect of the film by far).

Xun

Haha goddamn.

Seriously when you know about the CGI industry you'll know most are artists.

It's pretty much a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom