• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
spacejockeyhi3q1.gif

I forget--didn't they use children in the suits for this shot?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I hope for the sake of continuity that the human weaponry, if there is any in this movie, isn't too advanced. Flamethrowers, pistols, and pulse rifles plz.

Ships with laser beams would be fine though.

Kinyou

I have no mouth and I must Scream is way, waaay too dark, fucked up and depressing to be adapted. The videogame was sensational, though, and even a pinch Giger-ish.

img-17.png
Maybe Lars von Trier could do it, then again, he'd probably transform the story into a confusing mess.

Hate on Avatar all you want. Whilst I think this has the potential to be much better, the fact is that Avatar is what provoked Scott to finally get his ass back into making Scifi. It also made Spielberg finally realise that he should make Tintin.

Hopefully Prometheus gets Spielberg around to finally making Interstellar.
I sure wouldn't mind a new era of sci-fi movies.

Zeliard

The trailer has me really excited, but I am still scared of them ruining some of the mysteries. I kinda wish he'd just thrown it in another universe and used the same aesthetic and some thematic ties. I hate how so many filmmakers have been going back to old properties and exploring mysteries. Answers are rarely as interesting and cool as the questions.

I think Ridley Scott has probably found a nice medium between trying something new and delving back into his filmmaking past. He's given himself room to operate but within certain constraints, with the movie's obvious adherence to some degree to Alien. Ideally it could be the best of both worlds - lots of creativity within an established framework that keeps things from getting too crazy and Lindelofy.

Prometheus looks every bit like a spin-off set in the Alien universe. That way, Ridley doesn't have to feel beholden to certain Alien tropes - namely the xenomorphs - while still being able to carry over much of what made Alien so special, like the Giger-inspired visual design and the unnerving creature behaviors.

This seems like a great way for Ridley to delve back into sci-fi. He can tell a story that's mostly original while using a setting that he is familiar with and is effortlessly evocative when done right. He can tie the plot to Alien in a way that doesn't have to be a dominant element of the film, and in fact can be more of a subtle connection, or one that doesn't come until later on in the movie.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just noticed that there is a mix of sleek exo suits with bulky ones. My guess is that scientists use form fitting and comfortable ones, whereas other people get to wear the cumbersome stuff (maybe those are space worthy?)

prometheus.jpg

Also, what's up with the flamethrowers?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I just noticed that there is a mix of sleek exo suits with bulky ones. My guess is that scientists use form fitting and comfortable ones, whereas other people get to wear the cumbersome stuff (maybe those are space worthy?)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Madridexpo/Misc/prometheus.jpg[IMG]

Also, what's up with the flamethrowers?[/QUOTE]

Those suits don't look too far off from what we see in the original Alien.

Replicant

I hope they don't reduce the stature of the Space Jockeys. I want them to be like Greek God in some mythology illustraions, bigger and giant-size in comparison to normal humans.

Also, the two suits (bulky and sleeker) reminds me a bit of the controversy when Dead Space series' Isaac Clarke went from using bulky suits in DS1 to using the sleeker, tighter one in DS2.

Forkball

Guys, what if this is like as good as Alien. It would be insane to see an instant classic unfold before our very eyes, so rare nowadays.

Spoilers: They find some crazy statues and then some aliens and they run away from the aliens.

Instant masterpiece.

I don't get why everyone is going batshit over this movie, saying it will beat Avatar in the box office etc. I looks like Alien redux and the story will be some rehashed "hey humans were created by superaliens." It could still be entertaining, but I'm apparently missing something (or everyone else is).

Stet

Banned
Spoilers: They find some crazy statues and then some aliens and they run away from the aliens.

Instant masterpiece.

I don't get why everyone is going batshit over this movie, saying it will beat Avatar in the box office etc. I looks like Alien redux and the story will be some rehashed "hey humans were created by superaliens." It could still be entertaining, but I'm apparently missing something (or everyone else is).

Did you like Alien? This is important.

I hope they don't reduce the stature of the Space Jockeys. I want them to be like Greek God in some mythology illustraions, bigger and giant-size in comparison to normal humans.

Also, the two suits (bulky and sleeker) reminds me a bit of the controversy when Dead Space series' Isaac Clarke went from using bulky suits in DS1 to using the sleeker, tighter one in DS2.

I want them to drive our heroes to the brink of madness.

Good parallel to DS. The suits in DS2 were a lot cooler. Even the bulky Engineer RIG felt a bit more sleek (especially with the Iron Man helmets).

Replicant

Spoilers:
I don't get why everyone is going batshit over this movie, saying it will beat Avatar in the box office etc.

How's that any worse than "Pocahontas/Ferngully in Space" story of Avatar? And you should spoiler-tag those sentence since it's quite spoilery.

FStop7

Banned

Instant masterpiece.

protip - any story can be boiled down to a couple of glib sentences, it's how it's told that makes or breaks it.

Instant masterpiece.

Alien: they find a ship and then an alien comes out and they run away from the aliens.

Don't be stupid.

I don't think this will come anywhere NEAR Avatar at the box office. It's also very funny to me that detractors keep surmising so much about the plot, from a trailer that literally reveals NOTHING about the plot.

I have plenty of doubts about Ridley Scott--most of his recent movies have been mediocre. But some people are trying to just be contrarian in their criticism, and for no good reason.

Replicant

Avatar was horrible. This looks slightly less horrible.

Eh, for my taste, this will be 10x better than Avatar. I got the impression that I won't like Avatar the minute I saw the trailer and I was right. With this one, I got the reverse feeling. This trailer just pushed all of my buttons when it comes to the kind of sci-fi films that I want to see.

I love the vibe that this trailer gives off. The slow build as the name reveals is great.

I watched Alien and Aliens for the first time this year, so I'm new to the series, but I'm still seriously hyped after seeing this footage.

Instant masterpiece.

When's the last time in the past decade we've gotten something even close to Alien? It's exciting to see some good new Sci-Fi.

FStop7

Banned
When's the last time in the past decade we've gotten something even close to Alien? It's exciting to see some good new Sci-Fi.

Decade? Not a film, but a game. Dead Space - not close to Alien, but evocative of that flavor of sci-fi horror.

The last film I can think of that was evocative of Alien was Event Horizon. I think that came out in 1996 or 1997?

Youtube comments really really are astounding me on this trailer. Halo/Dead Space rip off...please

Has to be either people trolling or 10 year olds. No other possibilities.

Zeliard

Instant masterpiece.

Heh, people really say dumb shit in an effort to stand from the crowd.

It's mystifying that anyone can describe it as an "Alien redux," or like that unfortunate guy from earlier, as "generic." Look at the scope of the two films alone, not to mention the whole thing about xenomorphs not being the focal point this time around. Seems very much like the outright opposite of a rehash.

Stet

Banned
Decade? Not a film, but a game. Dead Space - not close to Alien, but evocative of that flavor of sci-fi horror.

The last film I can think of that was evocative of Alien was Event Horizon.

God, I would love it if Prometheus was as scary as Event Horizon.

Replicant

Youtube comments really really are astounding me on this trailer. Halo/Dead Space rip off...please

You have to understand that many young generations have not been exposed to Alien series like most of us have. Their first exposure to alien-like experience would be something like Dead Space or even films like Event Horizon and Sunshine.

Even in this thread we have a few people saying "I haven't seen Alien series, should I see them first?"

The last film I can think of that was evocative of Alien was Event Horizon.

Yeah I really did love Dead Space, I felt they ruined 2 with too much action and less atmosphere. But one was great. I do also love films like Sunshine and Event Horizon. I'm just a really, really big horror+sci-fi fan and I rarely get anything good in the vein. I was just trying to explain to Forkball why it's exciting to see a trailer like this.

If we're really going by retarded Youtube comments, there were folks on the Hobbit trailer commenting that it was a "rip off of LOTRs" and they "even used the same Wizard guy"

Can we just ignore youtube comments forever, please?

GhaleonEB

Been out all day, time for a wee bit of catch up.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually really dig the look of their space-suits in this. Its the sort of thing I grew up seeing on the cover of old hard sci-fi novels. Love it.
I've warmed up to them considerably.

Guys, what if this is like as good as Alien. It would be insane to see an instant classic unfold before our very eyes, so rare nowadays.
Let's not start setting the bar that high. I'll settle for amazing, not near-perfection. :lol
Yep, definitely a fan of the suit design

suitq2j0t.jpg
Everyone is quoting this shot, but I want to know what's up with the shot where she's running down the hallway zipping out of her suit. 0_o
Edmond Dantès;33685986 said:
Just listening to the complete Alien score again and it really does establish the tone of the film in the best way possible.

This part in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaT-JX5r8i8#t=2m49s

Marc Streitenfeld has a real job on his hands to even come close to matching the stupendous scores composed by Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Elliot Goldenthal (his score was the best aspect of the film by far).
Agree. The otherworldly, weary score is one of the things that creates such a unique feel for the movie. It fit the production design perfectly.

If it weren't for Dead Space, I would never have checked out Alien and The Thing, and I checked out Dead Space cause Event Horizon kinda left an impression on me.

I love space/alien horror. But I haven't come across a ton of it. You guys know of any further examples asides from, like, Sunshine?

FStop7

Banned
Not every fucking piece of music in the world with low notes is "INCEPTION RIPOFF" particularly when this trailer's music is a string section and not horns/wind instruments.

Not every fucking piece of music in the world with low notes is "INCEPTION RIPOFF" particularly when this trailer's music is a string section and not horns/wind instruments.

Don't be harsh on GAF. Inception is like, one of the five movies they've seen in their life.

Replicant

If it weren't for Dead Space, I would never have checked out Alien and The Thing, and I checked out Dead Space cause Event Horizon kinda left an impression on me.

I love space/alien horror. But I haven't come across a ton of it. You guys know of any further examples asides from, like, Sunshine?

Hmm, not really. There is Pandorum but uhm, maybe you're better off avoiding that although if you can rent it cheap by all means go for it. Many sci-fi films these days rely more on over-the-top portrayal of space exploration and the future. On that note, The Fifth Element was over the top but I actually like the world in that one.

lethial

Reeeeeeee

Instant masterpiece.

This post gave me cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom