• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime comes out in May. Costs £10 more on Nintendo Switch.

Fredrik

I have a feeling you will. :p
Could you please explain why a port, which you only just started working on, is more expensive than the original versions, which you've worked on for years, even if they're bought digitally?

If you sum up the total development cost for the PS4 version from day 1 to this day and compare it to the Switch version, is the Switch version more expensive for you?

I don't understand the reasoning behind the pricing but please try to explain, maybe I'm missing some key info.

killroy87

Could you please explain why a port, which you only just started working on, is more expensive than the original versions, which you've worked on for years, even if they're bought digitally?

If you sum up the total development cost for the PS4 version from day 1 to this day and compare it to the Switch version, is the Switch version more expensive for you?

I don't understand the reasoning behind the pricing but please try to explain, maybe I'm missing some key info.

Dude, he's the community manager. Lol and why are you asking that question like you're the first person in dozens of pages to do so? Read his past posts, and you'll get caught up.

Dude, he's the community manager. Lol and why are you asking that question like you're the first person in dozens of pages to do so? Read his past posts, and you'll get caught up.

His past posts were word soup that meant nothing. There's nothing to get caught up on except that we need to remember that there's production, development, and creation costs which are somehow different from one another and solely exist on the switch.

jonno394

His past posts were word soup that meant nothing. There's nothing to get caught up on except that we need to remember that there's production, development, and creation costs which are somehow different from one another and solely exist on the switch.

Indeed, we're supposed to believe that the porting costs to the Switch as well as physical media production amount to the necessity for a £10 price hike. Most of the leg work for the development of Rime was done prior to the Switch port even being a thought, so all they've got to do is port it and optimise it. I really don't understand then how the £29.99 cost doesn't cover the switch port.

nampad

I like how some people are trying to shit on the PS4 version for the development cost.

If you want to complain about the Switch price, that's fine. But what does the dev cycle of the PS4 have to do with it? Even if they spent most of their time with it, the time went to creating content that is used on ALL versions. And it is not like the PS4 is some exotic and super complicated console to develop for like the PS3. Let's not even mentioned that Sony probably paid for it before it went multi platform.

I like how some people are trying to shit on the PS4 version for the development cost.

If you want to complain about the Switch price, that's fine. But what does the dev cycle of the PS4 have to do with it? Even if they spent most of their time with it, the time went to creating content that is used on ALL versions. And it is not like the PS4 is some exotic and super complicated console to develop for like the PS3. Let's not even mentioned that Sony probably paid for it before it went multi platform.

It's only because of the community manager's awkward response of "costs" but if you cared that much about cost allocation, then PS4 should be getting a huge price increase over the others. Not saying I agree but it's just being frustrated and using their stupid PR speak back at them.

killroy87

His past posts were word soup that meant nothing.
Yeah. He's the community manager. That's what they do. He has no power lol.

There is no shittier job than community manager. You deal with all the bullshit, and have almost zero ammunition in your belt to enact any change beyond surfacing feedback to the devs.

All I'm saying is, don't blame this dude. He could just as easily stop posting in this thread.

gtj1092

It's only because of the community manager's awkward response of "costs" but if you cared that much about cost allocation, then PS4 should be getting a huge price increase over the others. Not saying I agree but it's just being frustrated and using their stupid PR speak back at them.

Not if they actually expect to sell more copies on the ps4. They have revenue expectations and goals. Seems they expect to sell fewer copies on switch and are pricing as such to generate enough revenue to cover switch port cost and publishing cost. Kind of silly to single out the switch version but if that's how they budgeted to pay for the port the accounting says they have to charge "x" price at "y" units to profit.

Strange a thread hasn't been made or any post upset with the fact ps4/X1 players have to pay more than PC gamers for the game in Australia.

There is no shittier job than community manager. You deal with all the bullshit, and have almost zero ammunition in your belt to enact any change beyond surfacing feedback to the devs.

All I'm saying is, don't blame this dude. He could just as easily stop posting in this thread.

We'd still be just as informed tbh.

foltzie1

Think cart pusher at WalMart. Important role in keeping the machine working, but no control of corporate.

Note: I've been a cart pusher.

Think cart pusher at WalMart. Important role in keeping the machine working, but no control of corporate.

Note: I've been a cart pusher.

That's kind of a shitty thing to say.

How about we stop chastising the community manager for not providing information he doesn't have/he's not authorized to provide? He works for the company making the game, whose end goal is to sell as many copies as possible. Don't expect him to drop some bombshell revelation that creates more bad press for the company. In my line of work I refer to question dodging as "positioning." If answering a question puts me or my company at a disadvantage, I'm not going to answer it.

We should keep voicing our displeasure at the cost of the Switch port but as others have said let's not shoot the messenger. Vote with your wallet if you don't like the price.

Makonero

How about we stop chastising the community manager for not providing information he doesn't have/he's not authorized to provide? He works for the company making the game, whose end goal is to sell as many copies as possible. Don't expect him to drop some bombshell revelation that creates more bad press for the company. In my line of work I refer to question dodging as "positioning." If answering a question puts me or my company at a disadvantage, I'm not going to answer it.

We should keep voicing our displeasure at the cost of the Switch port but as others have said let's not shoot the messenger. Vote with your wallet if you don't like the price.
Voting with your wallet doesn't mean shit without words to explain why you aren't buying the game. The community manager isn't to blame for the price sure; but he represents the company that is. No one should attack anyone, but the greed of the company shouldn't be excused because we might hurt someone's feelings by calling it out. Public outcry works.

Well no... You said that they already responded and person should read the thread to get "caught up". There's nothing to get caught up on, it was all PR gibberish.

brinstar

I'm very interested in this game but I'm pretty sure I won't buy it if they scam us like this. Technically inferior (this I understand and accept) but later and more expensive without any extras.

Is it confirmed that it runs worse too? Oof

Cyanity

Banned
Talked to one of the Rime devs about this at PAX yesterday. He had to be careful how he worded his response, but the basic gist of it was "We felt really bad about that and knew there was going to be a response, but it was publisher mumbo jumbo that made the game more expensive and we wish it hadn't happened that way." Also "We're sorry, I promise you we're not some evil company trying to gouge money from [gamers]"

edit - He seemed really nice. Honestly made me want to buy the game.

foltzie1

Clearly defining the nature of a role in terms others might understand is shitty, or do you think poorly of cart pushing as a reference? Would you prefer store greeter perhaps?

Let me be clearer, a community manager is one of lowest level jobs one can have in a game company. They are basically customer service. They have zero control over corporate strategy or decisions, yet have to deal with all of the blowback.

I'm not hating on the RiME guy, hell I fully appreciate the role he has.

Again, former Cart Pusher.

foltzie1

Talked to one of the Rime devs about this at PAX yesterday. He had to be careful how he worded his response, but the basic gist of it was "We felt really bad about that and knew there was going to be a response, but it was publisher mumbo jumbo that made the game more expensive and we wish it hadn't happened that way." Also "We're sorry, I promise you we're not some evil company trying to gouge money from [gamers]"

So the blowback should be directed at Grey Box or Six Foot the publishers.

Soph

Not if they actually expect to sell more copies on the ps4. They have revenue expectations and goals. Seems they expect to sell fewer copies on switch and are pricing as such to generate enough revenue to cover switch port cost and publishing cost. Kind of silly to single out the switch version but if that's how they budgeted to pay for the port the accounting says they have to charge "x" price at "y" units to profit.

Strange a thread hasn't been made or any post upset with the fact ps4/X1 players have to pay more than PC gamers for the game in Australia.

Due to recent backlash for Rime unequal game pricing, the publishers decided they would get even less sales so they upped the price for all console Rime copies by another 10 dollars in comparison to the PC port on their already unequal pricing practices. Surely now they would get a net profit right.. right?

What a terrible publisher, I'm definitely not going to support their shitty practices.

Fredrik

The publisher mumbo jumbo still doesn't explain why the extra costs aren't divided between the different versions instead of just laying it all on the Switch version. Sorry but it still doesn't make any sense. And yes I'm definitely voting with my wallet unless the pricing change, as in not buying it on any platform. Consumer mumbo jumbo.

So basically what we thought (except Publisher instead of Developer), they are taking advantage of the Switch audience. I wonder if the entire port was the Publishers idea seeing as it's outsourced. Regardless they chose the Publisher and I still can't support this type of practice. Hopefully they can now go back to the Publisher and say "this is why we said it was a bad idea", if what they said is in fact true.

There's no confirmation of that at all. It's just an assumption since the Switch is less powerful than the PS4. If it's properly optimized they'd run the same, despite Switch's weaker hardware. Maybe less special effects or topped out at 720p instead of 1080 or 30fps instead of 60 but we have literally nothing to go on to claim it will run worse or be inferior to the other versions aside from the fact that Switch just has less muscle than PS4/XBO. But again, proper optimization would mostly negate that.

I am still looking into this, I am at PAX this weekend so I will look further into this and get back to you, it just may not be until Monday.

Thanks for the update. As frustrating as this is it is nice to know that at least our frustrations are being heard.

Josh5890

Thanks for the update. As frustrating as this is it is nice to know that at least our frustrations are being heard.

I'll give that guy credit. He didn't just post and run. It doesn't make me feel any better about the situation but at least he is listening and talking.

I'll give that guy credit. He didn't just post and run. It doesn't make me feel any better about the situation but at least he is listening and talking.

Yea, at least we know someone is paying attention but it doesn't change anything.

Edit: change anything as far as my intentions on skipping the game now.

Eolz

Sounds that's due to renegociating a second contract to be able to publish on Switch then.
Hope they find another publisher next. Still won't buy their game on Switch though (or elsewhere before a sale), best of luck to them.

ika

I don't think so but it's a good guess keeping in mind the development started on PS4 and the size of the Switch (like someone else already said, it depends on optimisation). I'm happy to get a version that it's not "ultra" because graphics is not the most important element on games to me, but paying more for less, and way later... yeah, no.

All of your frustrations have been heard and shared with our team.

That's nice. Thank you, I hope they reconsider this bad decision.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager

As a few people mentioned, I cannot go into those details. In part because information like that can be covered under certain NDA's.

The reasoning is what I've mentioned a few times, beyond just time and resources to port the game to a different console there are various factors to consider, and those factors extend beyond just development. Simply put, X cost (where X is any cost that goes into getting a game out of the door (IE Publishing cost, manufacturing cost etc.)) are factors in these decision making processes.

Guys, I would not be here responding and trying to share this with you if this was done maliciously or to try for a cash grab. I know that for some no matter what I say it won't be enough and that is okay. We're all living breathing thinking humans who make our own decisions based on how we feel and what we perceive. My hope is that by me being here you start to realize that malice was not part of this decision.

I just got home from PAX so I am going to turn in for the evening, but as I mentioned, I'm keeping an eye here and I promised a few of you answers to questions like the AUS pricing. I've not forgotten and will return with those answers when I have them.

As a few people mentioned, I cannot go into those details. In part because information like that can be covered under certain NDA's.

The reasoning is what I've mentioned a few times, beyond just time and resources to port the game to a different console there are various factors to consider, and those factors extend beyond just development. Simply put, X cost (where X is any cost that goes into getting a game out of the door (IE Publishing cost, manufacturing cost etc.)) are factors in these decision making processes.

Guys, I would not be here responding and trying to share this with you if this was done maliciously or to try for a cash grab. I know that for some no matter what I say it won't be enough and that is okay. We're all living breathing thinking humans who make our own decisions based on how we feel and what we perceive. My hope is that by me being here you start to realize that malice was not part of this decision.

I just got home from PAX so I am going to turn in for the evening, but as I mentioned, I'm keeping an eye here and I promised a few of you answers to questions like the AUS pricing. I've not forgotten and will return with those answers when I have them.

So the only takeaway is, we can't explain why we're gouging switch owners on price but please believe us without proof that it's not meant maliciously. Sorry, but that's nowhere close to good enough to charging $10 more. You can make it sound like it's you against the world and people will be mad regardless of what you say but considering you've offered nothing of substance and said you're not allowed to explain why... It's a pretty self inflicted wound. And sorry, telling us that it wasn't meant as being malicious doesn't make me feel any more willing to give $10 more for being a switch owner for reasons you'll never disclose.

And it's pretty frustrating you keep pulling out "porting costs" when actually developing for a console is many times more expensive than porting. There's a reason so many companies port games and port games across generations even, it's because it's cheap not because it will allow them to charge more because of the costs of porting. It's pretty contrary to how ports work.

Makonero

If it's not malicious, it's at the very least completely illogical. You're pissing off an entire platform of people you're trying to sell to. The industry standard is to divide costs amongst all SKUs, not limit it to one, because then people get pissed off that they're paying more for the same damn product.

What does the end consumer get for their extra ten bucks? Absolutely fucking nothing.

Josh5890

If you are saying that manufacturing costs are coming into play, then why is the digital Switch version still $10 higher than the PSN/Xbox/Steam versions? Are the costs of porting to the Switch that much higher?

killroy87

I'm less annoyed by Rime itself being priced higher, as I think the game looks only okay, and I'm more annoyed/worried about what this will do for indies on Switch long-term. This is a suuuuuper important time for the Switch to put its best foot forward in regards to indies, and moves like this (coupled with a delay) will cause the game to sell less than possible, and might send the wrong message to indie devs in the future about the Switch's potential.

The Vita was so successful with indies in large part because, if the game wasn't cross buy, it at least usually released day and date with other versions, and was priced accordingly.

It might sound hyperbolic considering this is (currently) an isolated incident, but moves like this will hobble the Switch in the long term.

I'm less annoyed by Rime itself being priced higher, as I think the game looks only okay, and I'm more annoyed/worried about what this will do for indies on Switch long-term. This is a suuuuuper important time for the Switch to put its best foot forward in regards to indies, and moves like this (coupled with a delay) will cause the game to sell less than possible, and might send the wrong message to indie devs in the future about the Switch's potential.

The Vita was so successful with indies in large part because, if the game wasn't cross buy, it at least usually released day and date with other versions, and was priced accordingly.

It might sound hyperbolic considering this is (currently) an isolated incident, but moves like this will hobble the Switch in the long term.

If indie's give up on the console because of a single indie game that went out of it's way to price it higher than every other console it's being released on then... There's not much you could do anyhow.

faridmon

The first I am gonna ask you, ignoring the fact its more expensive than the PS4/X1 version is this:

Why the fuck does £=$=€?

All of your frustrations have been heard and shared with our team.

Thanks for relaying our frustrations. As I said before I realize it's not your fault and don't want to take it out on you.

A couple posts in the other thread finally made a little sense on why there is a $10 increase when I don't believe the carts are $10 more, so at least some of us try to have an open mind.

If it truly is a situation where it only makes sense to charge $10 more I would suggest they add some value for the Switch version. Some type of added content, soundtrack (digital or physical), even a full color manual, etc.... Otherwise regardless if that is the only option it's going to be tough to justify the purchase.

Deja

Besides this title, wasn't there another switch game that cost an extra $10?

I think you might be referencing Puyo Puyo Tetris?

It seems like all software for the Switch is really expensive, and this is the first example I've seen in ages where retailers are selling games for (and getting) the £59.99 RRP.

Serra

lmao at it being 5 bucks more expensive to buy it with euros compared to buying it with dollars even BEFORE unit conversion. Really stupid. Pretty much nobody does this.

Gonna wait until this is like 90% discounted a year in a steam sale.

Vinnk

Again, thank you for coming in here and I realize that you can only share so much. But if you can pass on a message to someone who is at liberty to share more I think that a compelling reason for the $10 hike in digital has still not been adequately explained. People like me will still be passing on this title.

To you personally. Thank you for taking this unenviable job and coming in here time and time again. It is nice to know that our concerns are at least being acknowledged even if not totally addressed.

mandiller

So the only takeaway is, we can't explain why we're gouging switch owners on price but please believe us without proof that it's not meant maliciously. Sorry, but that's nowhere close to good enough to charging $10 more. You can make it sound like it's you against the world and people will be mad regardless of what you say but considering you've offered nothing of substance and said you're not allowed to explain why... It's a pretty self inflicted wound. And sorry, telling us that it wasn't meant as being malicious doesn't make me feel any more willing to give $10 more for being a switch owner for reasons you'll never disclose.

And it's pretty frustrating you keep pulling out "porting costs" when actually developing for a console is many times more expensive than porting. There's a reason so many companies port games and port games across generations even, it's because it's cheap not because it will allow them to charge more because of the costs of porting. It's pretty contrary to how ports work.

Yep. But as an Aussie, it's not even $10 more. It's double the price for the Switch version. How's that for a rip off?

v1oz

I was thinking maybe the extra ten bucks was because of cartridge prices compared to discs? And then they've decided to price the digital version exactly like the physical copy like every other publisher is doing.

Top Bottom