• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime comes out in May. Costs £10 more on Nintendo Switch.

Vinnk

Again totally willing to pay a bit more to have this on a cart. If it really does cost $10 more than putting it on a blu-ray , then that is fair.

But the lack of parity in the digital release is what is upsetting a lot of people. I think people just want to know why one version costs more than another. If it is the additional cost of porting, that expense should be far less than the development cost of the original version.

I just wish we had a clear answer.

Then people wouldn't leap tho the conclusion: "They are just fleecing Switch fans because they think they will pay it."

No one want's to feel like they are being treated as a sucker.

So I hope more statements are forthcoming. Until then this one is off my radar.

But props to the community manager who keeps popping into this thread. He has a hard job to explain this one.

At thins point I kinda feel like I'm repeating myself..

Cerium

Again totally willing to pay a bit more to have this on a cart. If it really does cost $10 more than putting it on a blu-ray , then that is fair.

But the lack of parity in the digital release is what is upsetting a lot of people. I think people just want to know why one version costs more than another. If it is the additional cost of porting, that expense should be far less than the development cost of the original version.

I just wish we had a clear answer.

Then people wouldn't leap tho the conclusion: "They are just fleecing Switch fans because they think they will pay it."

No one want's to feel like they are being treated as a sucker.

So I hope more statements are forthcoming. Until then this one is off my radar.

But props to the community manager who keeps popping into this thread. He has a hard job to explain this one.

At thins point I kinda feel like I'm repeating myself..
It's not malicious though.

Krakatoa

Yeah, I am going to pass. Sure there is a cost to new development, but you get that back over the course of the consoles lifetime. There's no need to price hike to try and grab your cash back day one. Also the switch has one of the cheapest dev kits out there......

Vinnk

I just got home from PAX so I am going to turn in for the evening, but as I mentioned, I'm keeping an eye here and I promised a few of you answers to questions like the AUS pricing. I've not forgotten and will return with those answers when I have them.

Now that you have gotten back to work, is there any further information?

Thanks again for you time.

Schnozberry

No evidence that carts are significantly more expensive. Has Been Heroes is getting a $20 physical release, and if the cost of carts was so prohibitive, you'd think that would be reflected in the asking price.

We don't know what the porting costs were, or how the developer deal was worked out with the publisher. It's hard to point to some kind of malice without knowing the cost breakdowns.

Vinnk

We don't know what the porting costs were, or how the developer deal was worked out with the publisher. It's hard to point to some kind of malice without knowing the cost breakdowns.

I agree we don't know. Is it usual practice for a port to cost more than the original? The only one I can think of is Cave Story but the port was more of a remake.

IC5

You guys can't rationalize like an individual, sensible person. That is not applicable, here.

In a climate where many games must sell 2plus million or the IP is shelved and can even result in studio closure: Publishers want their money back now.

We dont know the publishing deal. It may not be as good a deal as what was worked out for the Sony and MS consoles.
I also havent seen details about what Nintendo offers to Indies. Sony and MS afaik, do not charge Indies to publish digital. And I have heard of many Indies receiving free dev kits from Sony and MS.
There may also be other licensing fees, royalties, etc, which we dont know about. Maybe even things unique to Switch, as compared to the other guys. I mean, Sony gets a cut, anytime someone stamps a Blu-ray.

Rime Switch is surely not projected to be a big seller. The game cards may cost more to manufacture, but reflecting that pricing only in the physical release, is not going to make back those manufacture costs.

A game being a "port" is kind of a grey term nowadays. Even in the most simple sense, a port takes time and money. Switch is very different from PS4 and Xbone. Making a Switch version of Rime was likely not as brainless a task as many have tried to imply. Especially since the Switch version was not part of the process, from the start.

All total, I have no problem understanding the pricing. Hopefully, this stuff is smoothed out as the Switch matures. Better dev cycles. Better publishing deals. Initial money being made back. And a more stable sense of how Switch will fit into the market.

Nintendo already doubled their hardware order. I think we are in for a good run.

Additionally, dont shoot the messenger. PR is a delicate thing. They can't be coming here and telling us the deets on the deals worked to get this game out.

ika

You need to read the whole thread. Nobody is saying anything against the poor and brave Community Manager here, quite the contrary. Also, we know already about game cards costs compared to discs. The problem here is mostly the price for the digital edition on the eShop, more expensive than other digital shops without any logical explanation. The price for Australia is also ridiculous and he promised to investigate the issue.

So, we're not shooting the messenger nor asking for something unreasonable here. I'm still not buying this game with (probable) worse performance, launching later, no new content, and way more expensive. Not supporting the publisher on other platforms either until we get a reasonable explanation more than "we promise this is not an evil scam!".

Cheers! ^^

You guys can't rationalize like an individual, sensible person. That is not applicable, here.

In a climate where many games must sell 2plus million or the IP is shelved and can even result in studio closure: Publishers want their money back now.

We dont know the publishing deal. It may not be as good a deal as what was worked out for the Sony and MS consoles.
I also havent seen details about what Nintendo offers to Indies. Sony and MS afaik, do not charge Indies to publish digital. And I have heard of many Indies receiving free dev kits from Sony and MS.
There may also be other licensing fees, royalties, etc, which we dont know about. Maybe even things unique to Switch, as compared to the other guys. I mean, Sony gets a cut, anytime someone stamps a Blu-ray.

Rime Switch is surely not projected to be a big seller. The game cards may cost more to manufacture, but reflecting that pricing only in the physical release, is not going to make back those manufacture costs.

A game being a "port" is kind of a grey term nowadays. Even in the most simple sense, a port takes time and money. Switch is very different from PS4 and Xbone. Making a Switch version of Rime was likely not as brainless a task as many have tried to imply. Especially since the Switch version was not part of the process, from the start.

All total, I have no problem understanding the pricing. Hopefully, this stuff is smoothed out as the Switch matures. Better dev cycles. Better publishing deals. Initial money being made back. And a more stable sense of how Switch will fit into the market.

Nintendo already doubled their hardware order. I think we are in for a good run.

Additionally, dont shoot the messenger. PR is a delicate thing. They can't be coming here and telling us the deets on the deals worked to get this game out.

Nintendo dont "charge" to publish digitally either (just the standard 30% cut that all storefronts take) they gave Wii U dev kits out on free loans although no word yet if they do the same for switch though apparently the dev kit only costs about $500

Shiggy

Nintendo dont "charge" to publish digitally either (just the standard 30% cut that all storefronts take) they gave Wii U dev kits out on free loans although no word yet if they do the same for switch though apparently the dev kit only costs about $500

While all documents I've seen do indeed state 30%, do you happen to know why other users say there's a minimum commission?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217716059&postcount=26
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216681519&postcount=180
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231843852&postcount=158

Vinnk

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Strange a thread hasn't been made or any post upset with the fact ps4/X1 players have to pay more than PC gamers for the game in Australia.

Why should there be? There's no "Sony/Microsoft" to pay royalties to on PC. It should always be cheapest on PC!

jacobeid

Banned
So we still don't have a good explanation regarding this? Why anyone would give this dev with a terrible track record any money at this point is beyond me despite the recent Rime previews seeming interesting.

Why should there be? There's no "Sony/Microsoft" to pay royalties to on PC. It should always be cheapest on PC!

Not true. Valve takes a cut on every game sold on Steam.

Vinnk

Because principles dictate that its not right for games to cost different amounts on different platforms.

Yes.

Also a late port costing more is fairly unprecedented? (not sure on that but I can't think of any modern day examples).

Imagine if Rise of the Tomb Raider cost $70 on the PS4 and the reason given was to pay for the cost of porting it.

There would be blood.

krumble

Actually had they priced this in line with other versions Rime Switch could have been a bigger seller than on other platforms due to the limited 1st Year library of Switch

As it is they have probably poisoned the well before it's even launched

Vinnk

Actually had they priced this in line with other versions Rime Switch could have been a bigger seller than on other platforms due to the limited 1st Year library of Switch

I feel the same way. Physical releases on the Switch right now are few and far between. This game will stand out. I personally was excited for it.

But if a google search for this game just produces a bunch of articles about how it is more expensive on the Switch for vague reasons, I can't imagine that this won't deflate some of the hype.

I feel the same way. Physical releases on the Switch right now are few and far between. This game will stand out. I personally was excited for it.

But if a google search for this game just produces a bunch of articles about how it is more expensive on the Switch for vague reasons, I can't imagine that this won't deflate some of the hype.

Here's a funny little SEO trick.

If you search with a clean slate, it'll be different than your normal search engine results. So going incog will give you something far more general, because it has little information to base your query on. When I hit the news tab, I get a few articles about it, but nothing that completely overtakes the page.

But when I flip back to my logged in Google account, I get a bunch. So much that it covers the first damn page.

This is why you don't fuck up in such a massive way, because nobody has a clean slate on Google, and if they are even remotely into video games, they'll see the "negative PR" search results. The only way to beat that would be to generate equivalent buzz to replace those articles/flip them out the search query. So if Rime did something even more controversial, causing those websites to get more traffic towards that article rather than the price, it would help. But that'd take something short of them canceling the game, giving everyone puppies, or going political.

IC5

See my first two sentences.
-----------------

And yeah, we haven't gotten an easy and specific answer back, because its not kosher PR to talk freely about the money side of development/publishing. Especially on a forum.

Mr. Hyde

I preordered it. I'm not sure why due to the game having such a development hell. I will hold onto the preorder just incase impressions are positive.

maxcriden

Aussie distributor says Switch version of RiME bumped back to Q3 2017 worldwide

(edit maybe just in AUS? See posts below.)

Not exactly news we are excited to share, but news nonetheless. The Aussie distributor for RiME has confirmed that the Switch version will be bumped back to an undetermined release during Q3 2017. No word on when the game will hit, but we'll be sure to give you an update when it comes in.
http://www.grabitmagazine.com/blog/post/rime-nintendo-switch-release-date/ (via GoNintendo.com)

I didn't see a thread about this. Does someone want to make one?

Wiped89

Saying it costs more to pay for the cost of porting it is ludicrous.

The sales of the game should pay for the cost of porting it. That's the whole entire bloody point of porting it, isn't it?

Futureman

Aussie distributor says Switch version of RiME bumped back to Q3 2017 worldwide

http://www.grabitmagazine.com/blog/post/rime-nintendo-switch-release-date/ (via GoNintendo.com)

I didn't see a thread about this. Does someone want to make one?

is this just the Aussie version though? I think they originally said something about just the Aussie version being delayed.

I got Rime @ $23 on Amazon today.

Dariuas... any thoughts on Amazon pricing @ $29.99? Was that just an error or has the publisher reconsidered the Switch pricing??

maxcriden

You think there should be a thread about this? I'm down to make it if we need to.

is this just the Aussie version though? I think they originally said something about just the Aussie version being delayed.

I got Rime @ $23 on Amazon today.

Dariuas... any thoughts on Amazon pricing @ $29.99? Was that just an error or has the publisher reconsidered the Switch pricing??

Thanks, sorry, it seems clarification from Dariuas is needed. It's not clear to me why GoNintendo said in their article it's worldwide when the article they link to seems to indicate an Australia delay only. Thanks Futureman for pointing this out. I'll edit my post.

weekev

Banned
This went from a day one purchase on Switch to a wait and hope it ends up on PS+ for me. Nintendo tax feels a touch cynical. Appreciate Darius response but it still feels like taking advantage of fans wanting to try new games on their new system. Have faith in your product. The fan base is there on Switch and we're starving for new games. Price parity would get you at least one more customer on day one.

Vinnk

In light of the other thread on Rime going on right now, I would just like to thank Dariuas for coming into this thread and talking with us. I know it can't be fun to be the rep when everyone is so angry.

I still don't understand the decision on pricing, but I appreciate that someone is listening.

watershed

Banned
Rime is one of many games I'm "wait and see" on for the Switch. There are a slew of intriguing indie games coming but I was already disappointed by GEM and Snake Pass so I'm being more cautious going forward. I nearly bought Mr. Shifty but reading reviews and gameplay videos and performance issues put me off a purchase.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, review codes seems to be going out, got mine today.

1GaUf2f.jpg

wouwie

One week until release... i hope this is going to be a great game. Love the artstyle and the gameplay seems my cup of tea. Please be good :)

As others, i wonder when reviews will be out.

Futureman

FYI this is a thread about the Switch version and it does not come out next week.

Anyone know if there's a day reviews will release?

wouwie

FYI this is a thread about the Switch version and it does not come out next week.

Anyone know if there's a day reviews will release?

It's not. Thread title is: Rime is coming out in May and topic is that it comes out on 26th of May on mentioned platforms.

Top Bottom