• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime interview: Tequila Works CEO discusses troubled development and split from Sony

Gradly

I'll start caring for this game again once they release a new trailer with brand new footage, that would show a progress :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Living in LA and having friends in Sony Santa Monica means LOTS of crazy stories I can't share. But the long and short of it is, Sony SM is a money pit. Crazy amounts of money wasted on daily basis on stupid decisions.

This game is made in Europe and falls under SonyXdev jurisdiction having literally nothing to do with the NA branch of Sony. Trying to pivot to a dubious claim like 'well Sony Santa Monica is EVERYWHERE" is very strange.

Given that Tequila would fall under Europe, Rime was a collaboration with Sony Xdev not Santa Monica.

While this is usually true, there has been at least one exception in Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, which was produced by SSM.

Edit - although I've no idea why he brings up SSM with a pointless tease unrelated to the topic at hand.

Sjefen

He didnt make anything clear on the relationship with Sony, unless you read beetween the lines and make your own conclusion. Maybe some day we will know the thruth.

KORNdoggy

i'd heard this was basically nothing like what the initial trailer showed. that it was more of a tower defense type game? not sure that was ever confirmed or not... maybe sony wanted it to be more like what they initially showed in the trailer (ico 2.0), and less like their actual "vision" (tower defense game) ??

i hope this game does come and and is good, but man not a good look for the devs. seems like fuck all was getting done between announcement and it being dropped.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Well, that's a lot of words to say nothing at the end.

So, what happened between them and Sony? He says that they added a lot of content and people played the game, so why not show anything?

I heard they didn't have anything in a playable state after 2 years.

Guymelef

So in this video in the 11:00 and 11:43 they lied?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIlAHipGPY

"We didn't knew we had to submit a trailer for Gamescom, we thought Sony would handle it themselves. We ended having to cut some portions of the game to put them in the trailer"
"The trailer is representative of what the game looks like, but some cameras won't work like that. The game won't have cutscenes, everything is playable"
"The game is coming out next year, it's pretty much confirmed, ask Sony to give details" (this interview was in 2014)
"The game is playable from beginning to end, everything regarding content is finished, we just have to polish it"
"People who have finished the game have cried watching the ending"

Yeah... lol

Yep, OP should be updated with this.

Auctopus

But what does it have to do with the Rime situation?

Are you saying that Sony likes to burn through cash with projects that go nowhere? Or are the decisions stupid because of something else?

I think he means that Sony are willing to invest in projects but it can lead to situations like this which they thankfully got out of.

fvng

Sony wanted to add rocket launchers? Sounds like he is passing the buck for his own failure to deliver anything.

Your inability to read is troubling. He is literally saying the opposite. Sony gave them creative freedom with no butting in.

I think he means that Sony are willing to invest in projects but it can lead to situations like this which they thankfully got out of.

Yeah look how much money they dumped into TLG. I'm fairly certain they'd be happy if they just broke even

I'll start caring for this game again once they release a new trailer with brand new footage, that would show a progress :)

The first trailer was supposedly smoke and mirrors, which I'm leaning towards believing seeing as this games development has been a total cluster fuck.
Any new trailer I'll take with a pinch of salt.

Elandyll

Banned
[Agent]ZeroNine;214779015 said:
This thread feels like Tequila Works vs Sony.

People here are obviously siding with Sony due to so many indies praising Sony's approach, but still, we don't know exactly what the situation here is. That being said, the person being interviewed might have burned a very resourceful bridge. Not very smart.
The things previously posted about Rime's development and what he seems to say here aren't really contradictory imo.
It looks like with Sony footing a part of the bill (and owning the IP) they had a stake in the game, and were using Focus Testing groups which weren't, apparently, too positive about the game, resulting in Sony pushing for changes in the game.
My guess is that TG had a buy back option after 2 years in their contract, they found another source of financing, and decided to split.

I guess the final game will somewhat tell the story, if we ever see it.

FelipeMGM

Them saying that when they announced the game at Gamescom 2013 they had been working on this for merely a few months, basically confirms that was all staged as lherre said

The only way to get excited for this again is if I can see an off camera footage of a random person playing this on a trade show

"We didn't knew we had to submit a trailer for Gamescom, we thought Sony would handle it themselves. We ended having to cut some portions of the game to put them in the trailer"
"The trailer is representative of what the game looks like, but some cameras won't work like that. The game won't have cutscenes, everything is playable"
"The game is coming out next year, it's pretty much confirmed, ask Sony to give details" (this interview was in 2014)
"The game is playable from beginning to end, everything regarding content is finished, we just have to polish it"
"People who have finished the game have cried watching the ending"

Yeah... lol
HAHAHAHA, what a scam. Makes me wonder why it took so long for Sony to drop this.

HAHAHAHA, what a scam. Makes me wonder why it took so long for Sony to drop this.

For real, here in Spain if you are into games development anyone knows someone who can tell stories about Tequila, Mercury or other 'siginificant' devs.

I mean, we know how things are made. And Rime has been a clusterfuck from the start.

Shauk

Banned
Well I mean Sony apparently backed No Mans Sky and apparently even that didn't make them add anything to that game. >.> #slightlybitter

JP

This development team always reminded me of the people that produced the Olya when they talked about this game. I have a real sense that they don't really understanding what they're doing and that their project is constantly hanging by a thread because they have no idea how to get where they want to be.

It's a real shame because the reveal video looked really beautiful. I do hope that it ends being as interesting as it originally looked if it does get a release at some point but I do get a feeling that the change of publishers isn't the last time that something happens which raise serious questions about the game. I just hope it does't get lost in whatever problems they have with the game. :(

Rush_Khan

I was looking forward to this game when it was first announced but now constantly forget about it until the next thread about it. My hype has practically reached zero for it.

To be honest, I was never really confident with the developer but I wish them the best of luck with this project.

Such a shame, it ticked every box for me. Though back then I thought The Last Guardian was completely dead so win some, lose some.

I too already was thinking this game as a replacement for The Last Guardian. Now it's coming out in october and looking really good. I think Tequilla f*cked it up and Sony no longer willingly wanted to throw money at it…

I wonder if Sony got their money back, I assume Tequila had to pay Sony some money for walking out of their deal and taking the IP with them too

klier

Where's the bolded text?

LOL, this.

I don't know what's important now :D

Seriously though, this is such a major disappointment. Three years in the making and still nothing to show. I was hyped as hell, but I am going to let it go. The vastly superior Breath of the Wild will take care of these needs, and will be out sooner most likely.

Atomski

Man do the knives come out when someone questions Sony.
Yep..

Honestly I could see Sony being pretty pushy to have stuff to show at conferences. They were a little dry the first year of the ps4 if I remember correctly.

Also people talking about the game being done but not done. The Witness was pretty much done gameplay wise years before it released he had to hire people to come in and do the graphics after all that was done. I don't know the case here but they may have had the gameplay and story done but no graphics for it yet.

Anyways I think we will just have wait and see how this turns out.

hydruxo

What a shame. I remember being so excited for this game but they've gone quiet for years. At this point I have very little interest in it if it does ever come out,

I'm really interested to hear what actually happened here. It doesn't really seem like I've heard a lot of stories about Sony (in recent history) forcing partners to make the game that Sony wants instead of the game that the developer envisions. Granted, I guess I haven't been looking for stories like that, so maybe they are in the habit of doing this.

Either way, it doesn't seem great that they had nothing to show after two years of whatever it is they were doing. I hope this game comes out and is true to its original vision, which at this point, is hard to even know... but I liked what little of it I saw.

Hope the game ships and is great. Also, hope we'll know the true story one day.

It's hard to believe that Sony is the wrong one in this situation since I always got the impression that Sony is actually one of the more lenient publisher to work with in term of giving developer their freedom to make games...

Indeed. And on the flip side, I get the impression that the folks over at Tequila Works are hacks who talk a big game but can't deliver where it counts. But nothing is set in stone I suppose.

Living in LA and having friends in Sony Santa Monica means LOTS of crazy stories I can't share. But the long and short of it is, Sony SM is a money pit. Crazy amounts of money wasted on daily basis on stupid decisions.

I went to LA once and drank with some guys wearing GoW tshirts till 6am. You wont beleive the storie i can't share with you! Ok Chief we got you.

As far as I'm aware Sony in general does not interfere with development and provides assistance if needed, heck that's why they have the ICE team. So this interview sounds like we could not deliver on time and we switched the cow!

I have a hard time believing that Sony, the company who just last week shipped a ballet dancing platformer, meddles with people's creative visions, but who knows:

Top Bottom