• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime interview: Tequila Works CEO discusses troubled development and split from Sony

Muzicfreq

Banned
"We didn't knew we had to submit a trailer for Gamescom, we thought Sony would handle it themselves. We ended having to cut some portions of the game to put them in the trailer"
"The trailer is representative of what the game looks like, but some cameras won't work like that. The game won't have cutscenes, everything is playable"
"The game is coming out next year, it's pretty much confirmed, ask Sony to give details" (this interview was in 2014)
"The game is playable from beginning to end, everything regarding content is finished, we just have to polish it"
"People who have finished the game have cried watching the ending"

Yeah... lol
PyXI3JL.gif

So... Where's the game?

The rumour that the game was dropped because it was not fun to play is more credible with that rocket launcher line, lmfao.

A mess, a kii, a cackle.

It's not that the game wasn't fun.

The game wasn't even playable for a long time.

A lot of rework every few months. A lot of studios' money spent by the CEO's wife in who knows what.

Sony doesn't drop games like this unless it is in a bad shape. It must have been a disaster for Sony to even take their dev kits back also

Yep..

Honestly I could see Sony being pretty pushy to have stuff to show at conferences. They were a little dry the first year of the ps4 if I remember correctly.

Also people talking about the game being done but not done. The Witness was pretty much done gameplay wise years before it released he had to hire people to come in and do the graphics after all that was done. I don't know the case here but they may have had the gameplay and story done but no graphics for it yet.

Anyways I think we will just have wait and see how this turns out.

Sony being pushy could be the case, but you literally have these dudes on record saying the game is finished, the ending made people cry, etc. And now they are flipping that previous speak, talking as if the game wasn't even near complete.

I mean, that's their own words contradicting themselves.

Memento

Wow. He is implying Sony tried to change the developer's vision with the "rocket launcher" comment, but how can I believe him when Sony has funded games like Bound, Journey, Unfinished Swan, Dreams and The Tomorrow Children? I am sorry but I think he is just trying to blame someone else for their own incompetence. The rumours about their inability of showing something concrete about the game are much more reliable imo.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Living in LA and having friends in Sony Santa Monica means LOTS of crazy stories I can't share. But the long and short of it is, Sony SM is a money pit. Crazy amounts of money wasted on daily basis on stupid decisions.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hawk2025

You look at how Sony funded the developers of Linger in Shadows and Datura until they got all the way to the fantastic Bound, and I just don't buy what he was implying with the "rocket launcher" comment at all.

Stanng243

You look at how Sony funded the developers of Linger in Shadows and Datura until they got all the way to the fantastic Bound, and I just don't buy what he was implying with the "rocket launcher" comment at all.

Isn't it obvious? Sony saw those games and said the next game needs Ballerinas or no funding. \s

i havent been following this game since the trailer, but i guess shit happened.

sucks since this game was one of the reasons i got a ps4 in the first place.

eFKac

Seems like Sony fucked up twice with this project, a) picking it up, hindsight and all though, so hard to blame them here, b) showing it so early.

I have no expectations about this game after Sony dropped it, they've went through with some really crappy games in their history, so it either means that Tequila has done jack shit and we'll maybe see this game in 2020 or it was shaping up really, really bad.

Such a shame, it ticked every box for me. Though back then I thought The Last Guardian was completely dead so win some, lose some.

This is exactly my stance too - I was very excited for Rime originally, in part because I was mourning for TLG, but now that's back on the table and Rime is looking sketchy I'm 100% back on Team Ico's erm... team.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Good evening everyone,

I've been reading over the forum posts and wanted to chime in a bit here and there. Over the past few days, a few of us from Six Foot have been in Spain meeting with Tequila Works and preparing for the beginning of 2017.

I am not going to comment on the history RiME, or any relationships prior to Grey Box taking on the publishing of RiME, it is not my place, and it is in the past, the relationship between Tequila Works and Grey Box is RiME's future. Every game has a history, rocky or otherwise, some the public sees, others they don't.

As Christian mentioned in the interview there is a lot of work to be done over the next few months, but we did not want to have leaks be our way of announcing that Grey Box is publishing RiME, so we chose to make that announcement. As the Community Manager, I would love nothing more than to sit you all around a really big table with drinks and food and talk about RiME, what the game plays like, how dedicated the team has been to the project and share with you all of the things. That being said, 2017 is not far away, so we ask a little more patience as we get things ready.

I completely understand skepticism about the future of RiME, if I were in your shoes, I can't say I would not share the same reservations. That being said, I play RiME on a regular basis, I sit in production meetings and hear about what is happening with the game. I meet with the Brand Manager, and Producer on a daily basis to discuss RiME.

The game is very much alive, and we will be sharing a ton more information in the beginning of 2017, including a release date. We are not ready to release this information just yet but I promise you, we are just as excited to announce that information as you are to find it out.

I will say, there are no rocket launchers, and no, RiME is not a Tower Defense/Moba. It is a single-player puzzle adventure about a boy shipwrecked on a mysterious island.

As I said, I understand your concerns, and trust me they are received, and discussed, the only thing I ask is your patience for just a bit longer while we prepare for 2017.

~Dariuas
RiME Community Manager

See.... I think NMS opened a new trend of people being aware of overpromised material.

But the key is the Rime Community Manager post. Get in the trenchs, communicate with the base and make sure your marketing equally excites and sets expectations.

Wasn't there a story some months back saying that this game was a scam and that the guy behind it had some history of that or something?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well... They made Deadlight so they're credible developers I think.

Overall this sounds like one of those "hey, here's a game we promised which looked so cool but we won't deliver or ship the product in the end." kickstarter, only that people don't give money but high hopes and dreams.

killatopak

Gold Member
Good evening everyone,

I've been reading over the forum posts and wanted to chime in a bit here and there. Over the past few days, a few of us from Six Foot have been in Spain meeting with Tequila Works and preparing for the beginning of 2017.

I am not going to comment on the history RiME, or any relationships prior to Grey Box taking on the publishing of RiME, it is not my place, and it is in the past, the relationship between Tequila Works and Grey box is RiME's future. Every game has a history, rocky or otherwise, some the public sees, others they don't.

As Christian mentioned in the interview there is a lot of work to be done over the next few months, but we did not want to have leaks be our way of announcing that Grey Box is publishing RiME, so we chose to make that announcement. As the Community Manager, I would love nothing more than to sit you all around a really big table with drinks and food and talk about RiME, what the game plays like, how dedicated the team has been to the project and share with you all of the things. That being said, 2017 is not far away, so we ask a little more patience as we get things ready.

I completely understand skepticism about the future of RiME, if I were in your shoes, I can't say I would not share the same reservations. That being said, I play RiME on a regular basis, I sit in production meetings and hear about what is happening with the game. I meet with the Brand Manager, and Producer on a daily basis to discuss RiME.

The game is very much alive, and we will be sharing a ton more information in the beginning of 2017, including a release date. We are not ready to release this information just yet but I promise you, we are just as excited to announce that information as you are to find it out.

I will say, there are no rocket launchers, and no, RiME is not a Tower Defense/Moba. It is a single-player puzzle adventure about a boy shipwrecked on a mysterious island.

As I said, I understand your concerns, and trust me they are received, and discussed, the only thing I ask is your patience for just a bit longer while we prepare for 2017.

~Dariuas
RiME Community Manager

Thank you for dropping by. I hope Rime the best and wish that it won't have any delays anymore cause the game is long overdue.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I don't think it was just in America. Q Games is in Japan, and SM helped them with all their PSN stuff.

Fair enough, didn't know that. XDev were definitely the liaison for Rime though

"Well, Sony XDev is the publisher of Rime. That's a very good reason (laughs). They saw the potential, not just the risk. They trusted Tequila Works and our original project. That simple. They have created an excellent environment for indies," said Rime's creative director, Raul Rubio Munarriz, in 2014.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-16-tequila-works

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
i havent been following this game since the trailer, but i guess shit happened.

sucks since this game was one of the reasons i got a ps4 in the first place.

I am excited for you to get to play RiME then! While I can't confirm what platforms we'll be on, I can confirm that early 2017 you'll have all of the information you're looking for.

Parsnip

You know, remembering what Jessica Curry said about their relationship with Sony, it's not that hard to believe that there's at least some fault at Sony's camp.

goonergaz

Good evening everyone,

I am not going to comment on the history RiME, or any relationships prior to Grey Box taking on the publishing of RiME, it is not my place, and it is in the past, the relationship between Tequila Works and Grey box is RiME's future. Every game has a history, rocky or otherwise, some the public sees, others they don't.

~Dariuas
RiME Community Manager

Good to hear, really looking forward to hearing the news :)

You know, remembering what Jessica Curry said about their relationship with Sony, it's not that hard to believe that there's at least some fault at Sony's camp.

Yet that game was finished and released without unreasonable delay. I doubt this game was some special flower that Sony just had to be overbearing to the point that a split was necessary. Doesn't jive with their publishing history at all. Maybe the game turns out to be decent, but I'm not expecting much.

Tyaren

Does that mean it doesn't come to the PS4 anymore? It was actually from the very beginning one of the games I was most hyped to play on my PS4. :(

Nice wall of text.

PR 101 with actually no message at all.

Why don't you adress the fact you've been liying about the 'playability' of the game for a long time.

I wonder why Sony had so much patience with you guys.

It's so easy to "promise" you will share more information in the future. Maybe the reason you've been on media blackout for such a long time is the fact you had to redo all the game from the start a several times, right?

I ask myself how that could've happened. It's so easy to spend money when others are paying.

Nice wall of text.

PR 101 with actually no message at all.

Why don't you adress the fact you've been liying about the 'playability' of the game for a long time.

I wonder why Sony had so much patience with you guys.

It's so easy to "promise" you will share more information in the future. Maybe the reason you've been on media blackout for such a long time is the fact you had to redo all the game from the start a several times, right?

I ask myself how that could've happened. It's so easy to spend money when others are paying.

Wall of text isn't a guy from TW, it's from the people publishing. He can't speak on TWs behalf about stuff that happened prior with Sony. Did you even read what he wrote?

BigEmil

Wall of text isn't a guy from TW, it's from the people publishing. He can't speak on TWs behalf about stuff that happened prior with Sony. Did you even read what he wrote?
He's the community manager, he also tried to brush off the 'skepticism' he talks about its pretty much PR talk to defend their own company.

Top Bottom