• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ring Fit's excessive tutorials has changed my opinion on Nintendo's "expanded audience" approach

jigglet

Banned
Even as a hardcore gamer, I've been a Nintendo apologist since the Wii days for their excessive hand holding. In the name of expanding the audience and reaching more people, I've always argued it was a necessary evil.

But I think Ring Fit has broken me. I've been playing for almost 90 days now. NINETY DAYS. And it still repeats to me the same tips. It still asks me to practice the same tutorials before each game.

It will occasionally ask me if I'm annoyed by the tips, and answering yes will buy me a few days of reprieve.

I am immediately bombarded with tip after tip. I just want to fucking work out.

Ok I get it, Ring Fit is the very epitome of expanded audience. But being a non-gamer does not make you a fucking idiot. If you've played the same game for 90 days, being a non-gamer doesn't make you any less capable of remembering what you've done NINETY TIMES in a row. I feel it's almost borderline insulting now. Like they should just put a message on the screen that reads "you're a fucking idiot aren't you?".

I felt it got absurd during Skyward Sword, a game designed for hardcore gamers.

Then it got outright retarded in games like Captain Toad, which gave you a tutorial hint about being able to turn the camera...a hint that was activated AFTER YOU TURNED THE FUCKING CAMERA. Oh Jesus.

But after the minimal hand-holding in BOTW I thought Nintendo had turned a new leaf. I thought it was a new era.

Ring Fit however, it's killing me, man. For a game designed to be played daily, it grinds me harder than almost anything else. It should be a game designed to literally boot up and fill a 5 min gap in your morning before you rush off to work. But no, I gotta click through a shit load of tutorials every time. JUST LET ME EXERCISE!!!

Last edited:

Hip Hop

Is this game really good at helping you lose weight? Sorry about your gripe but I just bought a bicycle to exercise with and forgot I had this game brand new that I bought a while back. I weigh around 260 and really need to lose weight. I’ve dropped 10 pounds so far with that bike in a short time. Maybe this would get me going at home too?

jigglet

Banned
Is this game really good at helping you lose weight? Sorry about your gripe but I just bought a bicycle to exercise with and forgot I had this game brand new that I bought a while back. I weigh around 260 and really need to lose weight. I’ve dropped 10 pounds so far with that bike in a short time. Maybe this would get me going at home too?

Don't know about weight, but it's brilliant as a workout tool. I think it's one of the best games of the generation (sans the FUCKING HARASSING TUTORIALS).

_Ex_

images.jpg

Nintendo have been patronizing asshats since way before the Wii.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I just bought Ringfit randomly this week because it was in stock on Amazon and that shit is the real deal.

I thought it was some joke gimmick game but it's actually amazing as a workout AND as a RPG. I couldn't go to the gym after playing the second level because my legs were hurting too much haha.

There is also lots of minigames, jogging and custom workouts. Now I'm thinking OMG! Am I going to have a nice body with this? Lol. Believe the hype.

Marvel14

Banned
Even as a hardcore gamer, I've been a Nintendo apologist since the Wii days for their excessive hand holding. In the name of expanding the audience and reaching more people, I've always argued it was a necessary evil.

But I think Ring Fit has broken me. I've been playing for almost 90 days now. NINETY DAYS. And it still repeats to me the same tips. It still asks me to practice the same tutorials before each game.

It will occasionally ask me if I'm annoyed by the tips, and answering yes will buy me a few days of reprieve.

Ok I get it, Ring Fit is the very epitome of expanded audience. But being a non-gamer does not make you a fucking idiot. If you've played the same game for 90 days, being a non-gamer doesn't make you any less capable of remembering what you've done NINETY TIMES in a row. I feel it's almost borderline insulting now. Like they should just put a message on the screen that reads "you're a fucking idiot aren't you?".

Then it got outright retarded in games like Captain Toad, which gave you a tutorial hint about being able to turn the camera...a hint that was activated when YOU TURNED THE FUCKING CAMERA. Oh jesus.

But after the minimal hand-holding in BOTW I thought Nintendo had turned a new leaf. I thought it was a new era.

Ring Fit however, it's killing me, man. For a game designed to be played daily, it grinds me harder than almost anything else. It should be a game designed to literally boot up and fill a 5 min gap in your morning before you rush off to work. But no, I gotta click through a shit load of tutorials every time. JUST LET ME EXERCISE!!!
I get what you mean BUT in order to avoid injuries it should always highly recommend warm up and cool down stretching.

I suspect they feel they can't take at face value that the same person is using the game all the time especially in highly litigious US ie "my kid used my profile and because of a lack of guidance threw out their back and cost me a fortune in chiropractic fees" .

So they need to retain guidance and handrails.

Not ideal but also not a deal breaker. I have been using it for over a year and the repetition is a mild irritation at worst. Maybe use the time lost to meditate and centre yourself a bit and turn the annoyance into a mental exercise opportunity?

jigglet

Banned
I just bought Ringfit randomly this week because it was in stock on Amazon and that shit is the real deal.

I thought it was some joke gimmick game but it's actually amazing as a workout AND as a RPG. I couldn't go to the gym after playing the second level because my legs were hurting too much haha.

There is also lots of minigames, jogging and custom workouts. Now I'm thinking OMG! Am I going to have a nice body with this? Lol. Believe the hype.

Aside from maybe a handful of games that just don't seem to work well, it's exceptional. It has a very small number of janky games. Whereas I thought Wii Fit had like 50% janky games.

jigglet

Banned
I get what you mean BUT in order to avoid injuries it should always highly recommend warm up and cool down stretching.

I suspect they feel they can't take at face value that the same person is using the game all the time especially in highly litigious US ie "my kid used my profile and because of a lack of guidance threw out their back and cost me a fortune in chiropractic fees" .

Not ideal but also not a deal breaker. I have been using it for over a year and the repetition is a mild irritation at worst. Maybe use the time lost to meditate and centre yourself a bit and turn the annoyance into a mental exercise opportunity?

The warm up / warm down is only one problem. It's also being forced to repeat the tutorial for every single time you play a mini game.

mxbison

Losing weight is mostly about diet, but yeah Ring Fit is a great workout.

TriSuit666

Banned
I stopped using it after the ringcon broke, because I was doing the bonus mini game too much and it cracked the ringcon where it meets the PCB.

Ringcons on their own are almost as much as rebuying the whole package.

You get used to it. There are conditions where the tutorials go away. The same EXACT activity, same user, same day and some of it goes away.

I was still helping the casual close to my heart here and there, but it did seem to work to have the game be THAT repetitive. It just needs to be by choice at this point, and people need to feel smart when they leave the tutorial on.

I think Nintendo should use cheat codes to hide tutorials. This keeps it invisible for the casuals, is perfect for the hardcore, and it is a throwback.

On some level, let it go. Its a workout. It rhythmic. Workout instructors count, and say “now breath”. You know how to do that. The mini games are the worst, but those kinda weren’t a great workout anyways and could be dropped.

Mr.ODST

The game is basically a HIIT workout disguised as a game so if you do it multiple days a week and change you food intake (no eating crap) like I did it can help you.

I used it for a while and went from 26st to 15 within a year but was only able to do it by using this 3 days a week and extremely changing my dues to eliminate bread, chocolate and crisp.

Impotaku

The reason they probably keep the tutorials & warnings is because they don't want to get sued especially as Americans are sue crazy over anything. Ring fit in particular is a game that can cause injury if people don't do it correctly so those warnings & tutorials have more importance in this game but i can see how annoying it is to be told the same thing over & over.

There should be a section in the game that you can click a box to say that you have read & acknowledged the risks and you are fine to skip the warnings & stuff.

TriSuit666

Banned
You get used to it. There are conditions where the tutorials go away. The same EXACT activity, same user, same day and some of it goes away.

I was still helping the casual close to my heart here and there, but it did seem to work to have the game be THAT repetitive. It just needs to be by choice at this point, and people need to feel smart when they leave the tutorial on.

I think Nintendo should use cheat codes to hide tutorials. This keeps it invisible for the casuals, is perfect for the hardcore, and it is a throwback.

On some level, let it go. Its a workout. It rhythmic. Workout instructors count, and say “now breath”. You know how to do that. The mini games are the worst, but those kinda weren’t a great workout anyways and could be dropped.
They can't, look it's annoying as fuck, but they're only in there as a legal clause.

However, there's no legalise with the daily mini-grind that needs to be done outside of the game which breaks the economy by griefing the ingredients, smoothies and coins - which's also precisely how I managed to mash up my ringcon.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Then it got outright retarded in games like Captain Toad, which gave you a tutorial hint about being able to turn the camera...a hint that was activated AFTER YOU TURNED THE FUCKING CAMERA. Oh Jesus.

On Captain Toad, the #1 barrier fot casual gamers is being able to control the camera. They just can't do it easily. This is why you see some gamers that were into 2D Mario but the 3D sales were lower. Thats actually the whole reason they made 3D World, was to limit camera control for a 3D Mario game so it could be a bridge to the real 3D games. And Captain Toad started in 3D World as you know as bonus levels.

V4skunk

Banned

Stopped reading at hardcore gamer.

jigglet

Banned
On Captain Toad, the #1 barrier fot casual gamers is being able to control the camera. They just can't do it easily. This is why you see some gamers that were into 2D Mario but the 3D sales were lower. Thats actually the whole reason they made 3D World, was to limit camera control for a 3D Mario game so it could be a bridge to the real 3D games. And Captain Toad started in 3D World as you know as bonus levels.

No you're missing my point. I didn't say Captain Toad didn't need hints. In fact I totally agree a game like that needs them. I said there was one hint about turning the camera that was only activated AFTER you actually turned the camera. This makes no sense. It felt like the point where we hit rock bottom with their excessive hand holding.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No you're missing my point. I didn't say Captain Toad didn't need hints. In fact I totally agree a game like that needs them. I said there was one hint about turning the camera that was only activated AFTER you actually turned the camera. This makes no sense. It felt like the point where we hit rock bottom with their excessive hand holding.
Yeah, I hear you. It is a little silly. I think they actually do something similar in 3D World. They must have tried something new where they let people experiment, then explain it after. I just started playing 3D World again and remember a similar prompt.

I tried to play harvest Moon on the GameCube the other week, thinking that the kids would love it (and not wanting to buy a switch)... Anyway, we were so bored with all the talk, you would think that only JRPGs had that much dialogue!

And yup, hand holding killed a lot of their games for me.

nkarafo

Whenever i see the phrase "expanding the audience" or the word "accessible" in the context of videogames, i get herpes. I didn't need such hand holding to learn how to play videogames back in the day. I don't know why people need that shit now. If a game is designed for actual idiots then maybe that game isn't going to be fun for me. I guess i'm an elitist asshole.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Most of the tutorials are there so you can recalibrate the ring at a convenient moment.

Still a badly designed UI/QOL decision..

An better option would be to flash a designated button prompt for a set number of seconds to recalibrate I'd reckon :)

Last edited:
It's because most people really are that stupid and forgetful.

I work in enterprise software and it's amazing the idiots that get put in front of a computer or in charge of something important. They'll literally go haywire right in front of you if something isn't where they expect it to be or they're confronted with something new. We'll roll out a new feature that has UX designers consult customers and internal experts and in the first day you'll have some large account piss their pants because a new window pops up that they haven't seen before and they cannot muster the mental fortitude to click the fucking X icon that every other browser, program, or software has that tells you that you can remove a window on your screen.

Now, expand that example to people who are even dumber and couldn't even work in an office setting getting a Ring Fit and trying to remember how to turn the thing on or use it every day. That's why there are so many tutorials. We don't have gates that keep stupid people from using computers and this is what happens.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Whenever i see the phrase "expanding the audience" or the word "accessible" in the context of videogames, i get herpes. I didn't need such hand holding to learn how to play videogames back in the day. I don't know why people need that shit now. If a game is designed for actual idiots then maybe that game isn't going to be fun for me. I guess i'm an elitist asshole.

Well it's just a logical evolution regarding an expanding userbase (age/intelligence/etc) and better means for UI information feedback to be given.

Tutorials/handholding is a good thing in essence (like, I don't mind it starting some new sim racer game or something), it's about the integration of and ways for players to customize it's precense accordingly IMO.

(Excuse my poor English)

Last edited:

HF2014

Hey. Picked up Ring fit on December 23. While a bit lazier this week, only did it once, combine to a weight regime im doing, i went from 191 pounds weight to arouns 183 atm. First weeks i was doing 3-4 time a week but recently did a let go, and this thread remind me im going to do it today! You can create your courses in it, and im concentrating on doing cardio running rather than making exercise to develop muscle. But when you start, do the adventure mode. Youll be able to track your heartbeat with each adventure to receive advice.

For weight reduction, calculate your weight, multiply by 15. The total is the calories your body need to STAY to your weight. If you want to lose weight, remove 500 calories if your active and 1000 if non-active. Im going the hard way and do 1000 calories no mather what lol. Im not cutting in what i love, like cookies, rather than eating half a box, im eating like 4 and calculate the calories, eating a smaller portion of M&M with calories count. The first weeks its a bit pain in the ass calculating everything, but as you move on, you will do these smaller thing, like taking whole wheat bread rather than white, esting more vedgtables for snaks, etc.

It work, and it give me a better breathing, sleeping too.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's because most people really are that stupid and forgetful.

I work in enterprise software and it's amazing the idiots that get put in front of a computer or in charge of something important. They'll literally go haywire right in front of you if something isn't where they expect it to be or they're confronted with something new. We'll roll out a new feature that has UX designers consult customers and internal experts and in the first day you'll have some large account piss their pants because a new window pops up that they haven't seen before and they cannot muster the mental fortitude to click the fucking X icon that every other browser, program, or software has that tells you that you can remove a window on your screen.

Now, expand that example to people who are even dumber and couldn't even work in an office setting getting a Ring Fit and trying to remember how to turn the thing on or use it every day. That's why there are so many tutorials. We don't have gates that keep stupid people from using computers and this is what happens.

Yes you said it well, unfortunately the baseline is very very low, indeed, hence this phenomenon.

Which is *OK*, people be people, although, like I steered towards previously, the core implementation should have more focus/importance.

Last edited:
It never got really overbearing until the Wii though. I don't think any game I played on N64 took it too far.
What's the difference between this and all the fucking games now having an "introductory sequence" when the sole purpose is to teach you the controls? Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Metal Gear with it's awful and boring prologue, even God of War has it. I mean, they literally have you pressing X to take down a tree lmao. Why? What happened to the good old days of reading a manual or just figuring out the controls by yourself? I fucking blame Halo for this. That was the first game, to my knowledge, that did it.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Taking something somewhat niche into mainstream has it's disadvantages. Again, implementation of said *feature* is key.

Last edited:

McCheese

The first time you do any type of exercise per session it does the tutorial screen again for that exercise, it's quick to skip but I agree with OP - if you're using this daily, they really need to limit how frequent they are reminding you of the basics. It's useful if it's been a few weeks, but if I did them yesterday just let me get on with it, please.

But other than that minor niggle it's an awesome game, probably racked up more Ring Fit hours than all the other Switch titles I have combined. Looking at the credits it's so weird to see a bunch of former Secret of Mana / Squaresoft team members were involved. Also visually it's really underrated, the art style is awesome and the resolution and framerate seem really solid for a Switch title, pretty sure it's 1080/60 at all times when playing docked.

Last edited:

recursive

Diet is most important to weight loss. Exercise has lots of benefits including extra calorie burn but burning 200 calories in ring fit might take you an hour. Better to just put the snickers bar down if you want to cut them.

Good luck on your weight loss journey and anything that gets you moving is better than nothing!

_Ex_

It never got really overbearing until the Wii though. I don't think any game I played on N64 took it too far.

I sure get tired of being told how many rupees every colored rupee is worth. By the way, did you know a red rupee is worth 20 rupees? Did you know that a blue rupee is only worth 5 rupees? Don't worry, if you forget, I will tell you every single time you open a chest.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
What's the difference between this and all the fucking games now having an "introductory sequence" when the sole purpose is to teach you the controls? Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Metal Gear with it's awful and boring prologue, even God of War has it. I mean, they literally have you pressing X to take down a tree lmao. Why? What happened to the good old days of reading a manual or just figuring out the controls by yourself? I fucking blame Halo for this. That was the first game, to my knowledge, that did it.
The good from this is that there's been an emergence of 'skip tutorial section' menu options so that both parties can be pleased. Hopefully one day Nintendo can include this option.

jigglet

Banned
Most of the tutorials are there so you can recalibrate the ring at a convenient moment.

I know exactly what you mean, the little recalibration points hidden within certain guides. But the ones I am talking about are NOT this. If you look very closely, there are many guides or hints that don't have hidden recalibration points in them.

Also remember that Wii Motion Plus / Joycons has only ever needed one point of calibration, and that is the X axis. That's why literally every Wii MP or Switch game can be recalibrated simply by laying the controller flat. However, some of the tutorials have 3 or more steps - point forward (the only one needed), point to the left, point to the right. The final two are totally redundant.

I know what cleverly hidden recalibration is. But this ain't it. This is overbearing bullshit.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
The reason they probably keep the tutorials & warnings is because they don't want to get sued especially as Americans are sue crazy over anything. Ring fit in particular is a game that can cause injury if people don't do it correctly so those warnings & tutorials have more importance in this game but i can see how annoying it is to be told the same thing over & over.

There should be a section in the game that you can click a box to say that you have read & acknowledged the risks and you are fine to skip the warnings & stuff.

I disagree. While I agree lots of caveats and warnings and legal stuff like this is needed, it should only be needed once. If I've been playing this game for 90 days why continue to have it repeated to me every day? Remember the key thing is it is PROFILE based. So it knows that I am the one playing it, not another member of my family. It's not like there's just one shared profile for everyone. When I sign up to a new email I agree to the T&C's ONCE, not every time I log in.

Last edited:

Yeah, about stretching....

jigglet

Banned
The first time you do any type of exercise per session it does the tutorial screen again for that exercise, it's quick to skip but I agree with OP - if you're using this daily, they really need to limit how frequent they are reminding you of the basics. It's useful if it's been a few weeks, but if I did them yesterday just let me get on with it, please.

But other than that minor niggle it's an awesome game, probably racked up more Ring Fit hours than all the other Switch titles I have combined. Looking at the credits it's so weird to see a bunch of former Secret of Mana / Squaresoft team members were involved. Also visually it's really underrated, the art style is awesome and the resolution and framerate seem really solid for a Switch title, pretty sure it's 1080/60 at all times when playing docked.

It's one of my top 10 games of the generation. It's that good. The only thing that detracts it from me (other than this excessive handholding) is there are still a few janky mini games. I would say at least half a dozen are still just not very well optimised and needed more time in the oven in regards to motion detection. However considering literally 50% of Wii Fit's games were janky shit, half a dozen is pretty good. They really took everything they learned from Wii Fit and brought it to the next level.

Dr.Morris79

You're not wrong, we bought this for the lad at Christmas and it truly pissed us/me off, well more me, the other two didnt really give a shit

But christ, I just wanted to shake my fat gut, not this.

Marvel14

Banned
Yeah, about stretching....

Hmmmm...looks like Ring Fit's Dynamic stretching to start exercising is a good idea after all.

"Your time would be better spent by warming up your muscles with light aerobic movements and gradually increasing their intensity......
.....Warm muscles are less stiff and work more efficiently. Increased blood flow enables more oxygen to reach the muscles and produce energy. The warm up also activates the nerve signals to your muscles, which results in faster reaction times.

And after exercise static stretching is also a good idea apparently:

"There is some evidence that regular static stretching outside periods of exercise may increase power and speed, and reduce injury. The best time to stretch is when the muscles are warm and pliable. This could be during a yoga or pilates class, or just after exercising."

It's almost as if Nintendo consulted the latest evidence and experts to design Ring Fit....uncanny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom