• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ring Fit's excessive tutorials has changed my opinion on Nintendo's "expanded audience" approach

Marvel14

Banned
The warm up / warm down is only one problem. It's also being forced to repeat the tutorial for every single time you play a mini game.
It always tells you how to do some movements like plank or mountain climber but you literally just press in on the ring con and they go away ( so with a bit of exercise to boot!).

The mini games feel like soft filler to me to add variety at moderate effort.The ever present extended explanations are probably Nintendo's way of encouraging you to use them sparingly and do the adventure or proper sets and repetitions in custom workouts instead.

Hmmmm...looks like Ring Fit's Dynamic stretching to start exercising is a good idea after all.

"Your time would be better spent by warming up your muscles with light aerobic movements and gradually increasing their intensity......
.....Warm muscles are less stiff and work more efficiently. Increased blood flow enables more oxygen to reach the muscles and produce energy. The warm up also activates the nerve signals to your muscles, which results in faster reaction times.

And after exercise static stretching is also a good idea apparently:

"There is some evidence that regular static stretching outside periods of exercise may increase power and speed, and reduce injury. The best time to stretch is when the muscles are warm and pliable. This could be during a yoga or pilates class, or just after exercising."

It's almost as if Nintendo consulted the latest evidence and experts to design Ring Fit....uncanny.
That’s fine and dandy, but not about injury.

Marvel14

Banned
That’s fine and dandy, but not about injury.
I stand corrected...

but i still think people would be suing for injury if Nintendo cut corners with the instructions though...should have made clearer in my original post that I was referring to all the instructions and demonstrations that the OP hates...not just the stretching.

Bluecondor

Aside from maybe a handful of games that just don't seem to work well, it's exceptional. It has a very small number of janky games. Whereas I thought Wii Fit had like 50% janky games.

I'm with you on the unskippable messages and tutorials on Ring Fit Adventure. Like you, I love the game. I picked it up in September, knowing that fall was approaching and I would need an outdoor exercise replacement since I live in Pittsburgh and it gets tough to exercise outside come November or so. I have been playing Wii Fit U (and Wii Fit prior to that) for many years, so I am really pleased with Ring Fit Adventure and have played it 5+ times a week since September.

I agree that the unskippable messages and tutorials are annoyingly frustrating when trying to exercise - especially when you are in a hurry. Here are my least favorite parts of this:

1. This might seem trivial, but one of the most annoying things is that the game asks you when starting up if you want to change the difficulty several times per week. Even though it literally asks you twice per week "Is it annoying that I am asking if you want to change the difficulty?", the responses are a pedestrian "No" and a passive "Yeah, a Little Bit". At best, you can check "Yeah, a little bit" and the game will stop asking you this for three days. This just grates on my nerves.

2. Here is something that throws me into a humorous fit of rage. Literally every time you do the rowing on the river for the first time in a day, the Ring starts off with "This will be weird, but press..." Hearing "This will be weird..." is so jarring and immersion breaking for me. It's also irritating, because the Ring's tone-of-voice always sounds like you have never done this before. Also, it's a damn ab crunch holding the Ring Fit in that is literally a stone's throw from the ab crunch block that we do throughout the entire game. This will be weird?!?!?! It's about as weird as dribbling a basketball if you are a basketball player.

3. The victory pose being unskippable/required on such a large percentage of the game's content is unconscionable. While I guess it is nice to get in one more squat at the end of the exercise, it is just tedious that you have to sit through a victory pose tutorial every day + the fact that the victory pose movement detection is really hit or miss with the game's sensors/software. I would skip the victory pose every time if I had the option.

Still though - these are just minor annoyances in relation the overall greatness of Ring Fit Adventure. I don't mean to sound overly emotional, but I am absolutely grateful to Nintendo for making this game. It was 6 degrees yesterday in Pittsburgh and I got to work out for 30 minutes right in my living room. This is just a joy to have during winter and the pandemic. I really hope that Nintendo and/or third party developers make more games using the ring fit controller. It's awesome.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah i love RingFit but that's definitely one of the game's weaknesses. Some "tutorials" are a replacement for "set your Wiimote on the floor to calibrate", though. Not all of it is an actual tutorial. nintendo could add some options to disable non-essential tutorials or something of the sort.

jigglet

Banned
Yeah i love RingFit but that's definitely one of the game's weaknesses. Some "tutorials" are a replacement for "set your Wiimote on the floor to calibrate", though. Not all of it is an actual tutorial. nintendo could add some options to disable non-essential tutorials or something of the sort.

Yeah I addressed that point earlier:

I know exactly what you mean, the little recalibration points hidden within certain guides. But the ones I am talking about are NOT this. If you look very closely, there are many guides or hints that don't have hidden recalibration points in them.

Also remember that Wii Motion Plus / Joycons has only ever needed one point of calibration, and that is the X axis. That's why literally every Wii MP or Switch game can be recalibrated simply by laying the controller flat. However, some of the tutorials have 3 or more steps - point forward (the only one needed), point to the left, point to the right. The final two are totally redundant.

I know what cleverly hidden recalibration is. But this ain't it. This is overbearing bullshit.

GymWolf

Is this game really good at helping you lose weight? Sorry about your gripe but I just bought a bicycle to exercise with and forgot I had this game brand new that I bought a while back. I weigh around 260 and really need to lose weight. I’ve dropped 10 pounds so far with that bike in a short time. Maybe this would get me going at home too?
In theory is more fun with a game.

But the best combo to play and lose weight is with vr.

A quest with some game where you move a lot and you are gonna sweat like a bitch in a maximum security prison facility.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah I addressed that point earlier:

I know exactly what you mean, the little recalibration points hidden within certain guides. But the ones I am talking about are NOT this. If you look very closely, there are many guides or hints that don't have hidden recalibration points in them.

Also remember that Wii Motion Plus / Joycons has only ever needed one point of calibration, and that is the X axis. That's why literally every Wii MP or Switch game can be recalibrated simply by laying the controller flat. However, some of the tutorials have 3 or more steps - point forward (the only one needed), point to the left, point to the right. The final two are totally redundant.

I know what cleverly hidden recalibration is. But this ain't it. This is overbearing bullshit.
Even for the "required" calibration tutorials, I would prefer an option in the corner of the screen (that doesn't pause and cover over the action), whether it's a simplified picture or a mini version of the same instruction page. The part I hate most is the constant transition between playing and clicking through a menu.

jigglet

Banned
Even for the "required" calibration tutorials, I would prefer an option in the corner of the screen (that doesn't pause and cover over the action), whether it's a simplified picture or a mini version of the same instruction page. The part I hate most is the constant transition between playing and clicking through a menu.

Agreed. They should also simply monitor how well you're doing. If you've just nailed 90% of your last routines, doesn't it imply it's well calibrated and doesn't need to be recalibrated? I mean some of the moves require you to move very strictly left, right, up, down etc. If it's not calibrated properly there's no way you'd be getting high scores.

Top Bottom