• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Netflix's The Get Down - Show got canned

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Verge

The Get Down, Baz Luhrmann’s musical drama set in the South Bronx in the late 1970’s, will not return after its first season. Deadline reports that Netflix has canceled the show, a rare move for the streaming service.

On Facebook, he posted a lengthy note to fans on why the show was “unlikely” to continue. “When I was asked to come to the center of The Get Down to help realize it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years,” Luhrmann said. “This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions. I feel so deeply connected to all those who I have worked and collaborated with on this remarkable experience.”

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
interesting they called it a cancellation and not a hiatus. not like he couldn't return to it down the road. even with ageing kid actors :shrug:

Dabanton

Knew that was coming.

It's a show that takes a while to get going and hardly had any online buzz which makes or breaks these shows.

Also that first episode as fantastic as it was was dense as hell for a lot of people.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Shows usually get two seasons...so this doesn't sound out of the ordinary. I kind of consider shows split into parts as two seasons heh

Similar to Marco Polo it sounds like the show just never caught on.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Shows usually get two seasons...so this doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Similar to Marco Polo it sounds like the show just never caught on.

Yeah, this was way too expensive to have so little buzz surrounding it. Good thing The Crown caught on.

Dynomutt

Unfortunate concept was cool. I actually think Netflix needs to chill too many shows and even though pockets of people may be fans of them only a few are widely acclaimed.

Yeah, totally expected that after Part 2.

For it to cost as much as it did, and have to be finished up with those animations as a bridge..... yeah.

Unfortunate concept was cool. I actually think Netflix needs to chill too many shows and even though pockets of people may be fans of them only a few are widely acclaimed.

I feel like discovery is Netflix's biggest problem. So much content, so little ways to discover it all, unless you're hunting every day. Their entire UI needs a do over.

Too bad but I'm not surprised. it was their most expensive show yet it did not look like it at all. The second half was all over the place and the animated stuff just seemed like they ran out of money.

wrowa

Too bad but I'm not surprised. it was their most expensive show yet it did not look like it at all. The second half was all over the place and the animated stuff just seemed like they ran out of money.

I think The Crown surprassed it already in terms of budget. That one cost an insane $130 million to make compared to Get Down's (also insane) 120 million.

Davide

As ridiculous as it may sound because I binge watch I have difficult getting into 90 minute episodes. I didn't stick with the first episode that long.

see5harp

Just go back and watch legit shit like Strictly Ballroom. I like these TV's shows but if it's mediocre in any way, you're gonna have a hard time selling that many hours of television, even if you can binge them all at once.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think The Crown surprassed it already in terms of budget. That one cost an insane $130 million to make compared to Get Down's (also insane) 120 million.

jesus how do they shows make money when they cost more than blockbuster movies?

Chase17

That's too bad. I liked it.

Part 1 was solid, but Part 2 was shaky. Left it at a good enough stopping point though.

orioto

Good Art™
Wasn't the second season pretty much satisfactory as an ending anyway ? I wasn't thinking about a third season.

Top Bottom