• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Netflix's The Get Down - Show got canned

El Topo

Much like Vinyl getting killed this doesn't surprise me.

I get the logic behind making The Get Down. I don't get the logic behind making a $100m 70s music industry drama with Bobby Cannavale as the lead.
Anyway, I didn't enjoy The Get Down, but it's still unfortunate to see the show get cancelled. It was a refreshing change.

realwords

I get the logic behind making The Get Down. I don't get the logic behind making a $100m 70s music industry drama with Bobby Cannavale as the lead.
Anyway, I didn't enjoy The Get Down, but it's still unfortunate to see the show get cancelled.

The Get Down cost more than that.

lord

This should have been a 90s east coast gangsta rap series, would've done far better and is more interesting at least to me. I could not even finish episode three.

brawly

Shaolin and Zeke got really annoying tbh. Whatever.

At least it gave us one of the meanest disco scenes ever

get-down-10.gif

Fuchsdh

I know. $190m I think is the latest calculation? Insane money and not surprising to see the show get canned.

Say what? If they spent that amount of money I'd say it didn't come across on-screen.

Unless all those drugs people were doing were authentic.

Anth0ny

fuuuuuuuuck I really enjoyed this

why do all the shows based on the history of popular music get cancelled ; _ ;

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Couldn't keep up with that budget, huh? :/
I enjoyed the break beats and the recreation of that era. Wish they could've made it work somehow.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I freaking loved the first half, and I guess I am one of the few who really enjoyed the second half as well. It was different in some ways, and not as good as the first, but I still liked it.
Anyway, sad to see it go, but I think they wrapped it up good enough, could have been much worse in terms of cliffhangers.

conpfreak

This is likely because the show was expensive to make and the critical reception was lukewarm. Meanwhile, Dear White People has been receiving much better at a much lower cost.

Kid Ying

As ridiculous as it may sound because I binge watch I have difficult getting into 90 minute episodes. I didn't stick with the first episode that long.
Most of the episodes are the usual 1 hour lenght.

I loved this show, so it's a big loss to me. :( The First half was better, but i enjoy the second half too. It got a bit too dramatic and everything turns bad almost every episode, but i think it's a good counterpoint to the ingenuity of the first half.

Also, the music was fucking amazing on both the seasons. I highly recommend for everyone to catch up the discs. They até great (the first season one was better).

enjoyed part 1 until it spazzed out at the very end in true baz luhrmann style.
Part 2 i couldn't even make it through one episode, those animations were so bad they killed anything good the show had created up until that point.
Awful, truly awful animations.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's been sitting in my queue for months, but I hadn't had the time to watch it. Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend in between drawing pages for my book!

It looked really interesting, and I'm a fan of Baz, so I'm bummed it's getting cancelled. But also, why was it so fucking expensive to make? That cost estimate is insane.

He spent as much as a typical GoT season on a period musical/teen drama.

I don't think that was ever going to be sustainable, similar to Marco Polo.

They were generally REALLY bad and off-putting. Only a few select moments where they worked.

I literally couldn't watch due to those animations, it destroyed anything good the show had going and killed any atmosphere or any sense of being a watchable televisions series.
Who the hell animated them? they look awful and the movements were some of the worst i've ever seen, absolutely laughable how bad they were.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Man, I really liked it, even Part 2, as messy and dumb as it got. But I never knew it was supposed to go on after that, I always assumed that the ending we saw was what was planned.

Oh yeah and I agree with people saying those animated parts were bad. Holy shit were they bad.

120v

forgive my ignorance because i've never watched the show, but what made production so costly? recreating 1970s NYC?

Part 1 is excellent, but the cancellation isn't surprising or unexpected after Part 2 tanked most of the narrative potential

Part 1 is so great though, if they could have kept that up...

ZoddGutts

I think The Crown surprassed it already in terms of budget. That one cost an insane $130 million to make compared to Get Down's (also insane) 120 million.

Crazy high, wonder what the budget for The Witcher is going to be if they really go all in the setting.

Couldn't even make it through the pilot on this. But I've never enjoyed anything Luhrman, so I'm probably not the audience for it.

Crazy high, wonder what the budget for The Witcher is going to be if they really go all in the setting.

See, with European fantasy you've the benefit of just going to Croatia or wherever and filming there. Castles and shit still exist. The Bronx as it looked in the 70s is probably trickier, even with no CG dragons.

rugioh

Banned
What made the show cost so much? I get the dance scenes had a lot going on and stuff but for the most part scenes were happening in dilapidated warehouses.

Apt101

Sad but not unexpected, was super expensive and a development nightmare.

Yea when I saw that budget I was like damn. I thought it was a good show but boy, for what they were spending they could have been pursuing the next Game of Thrones instead.

Top Bottom