• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of Nightmares screens (Sega + kinect + horror game) :|

Poker360

gketter said:
This game got a midnight launch? wow

Well, Resistance 3 and dead island came out ... and war hammer 40k space marine..

funny thing is, not a single person was there for resistance 3. I was there for dead island and decided to grab rise of nightmares for the heck of it. Certainly glad i did so far.

I may be going a little far to say it already (since i've only played it for 30 minutes), but this could definitely be kinect's sleeper hit this year.

pje122

Persona7 said:
I got this game today yet I have no kinect.
meh.ro6405.jpg

benzy

Poker360

benzy said:
Who the hell am I supposed to believe here?

Is this game only playable with kinect?

I agree controls seem really intuitive and cool so far, so i suppose the 7/10.

It's a shame this game isn't going to get much attention and will really be looked over

mujun

I can't wait to get this. It seems, at this point, to be the perfect mixture of self aware Japanese camp+good use of Kinect+fun arcadey combat.

Endesu

Definitely plan to get this when I can... one of the few Kinect titles that looks genuinely interesting.

Probably going to be a bargain bin title before too long.

Mdk7

I played it both at E3 and at Gamescom, and... it really sucked.
And mind that i dig kinect, motion controls and HOTD.. yet, still this felt like a trainwreck (literally... :D): imprecise controls, stupid mindless waggling all around, bad combat mechanics and an akward way of navigating 3D spaces (which makes you regret it's not on rails*) completely ruin the experience.. and not even the cheesy atmosphere can save the situation, instead it probably makes things even worse.
Ryse please show yourself and show us a GOOD combat game for Kinect.

*actually you can play it on rails, by raising your arm up... that way the troubles with movements go away, but the game still sucks. :(

The Eurogamer Gamescom preview was very positive. I will probably get this. I have the feeling this will be great to play with the guys in the dark with some beers.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Woah, what's up with those floating arms? They're not even connected to a body in the trailer/ad linked above :X

Limanima

I'm to scared of being unfortunate to ever play this. They at least succeeded on the horror part.

Someone please post gifs of someone playing this. It's tons of fun watching people playing kinect and making fools out of themselfs.

Picking this up with Resistance 3 today. Pretty pumped for it, while I fully expect it to be flawed it's a fresh change of pace from the kinect crap we've been given.

AdventChild

Neo Member
Gaming Age
Sep 5, 2011
83 What I love most about Rise of Nightmares is that it actually works. Having finished the game I'm still very impressed with how responsive all the movement controls were, and how well they meshed together to perform a very cohesive experience.

For some reason, I keep seeing tv ads for this. Is Microsoft pumping cash into it or something, I can't remember seeing a Sega game pushed this hard since Bayo?

Frankfurt

Banned
Poker360 said:
Anyone going to make an OT? This game deserves a good one.

If you're really think it deserves one, just do it. Just copy info from Wikipedia or the official site or a press release and post five images or so and be done with it. Also post the reviews from metacritic + earlier in the thread. I'm on my iPod, can't do it. Or PM Phono, he wanted to make one.

LiK

Frankfurt said:
If you're really think it deserves one, just do it. Just copy info from Wikipedia or the official site or a press release and post five images or so and be done with it. Also post the reviews from metacritic + earlier in the thread. I'm on my iPod, can't do it. Or PM Phono, he wanted to make one.
He's a junior so he can't, but yea, do the work and ask a member here to post it.

Ricker

The game is nowhere to be found so far around here(Montreal Area)...I have one Walmart to check this afternoon and a local shop...looks like it will be tomorrow.

Grisby

Was available to rent from my Blockbuster. Had 2 copies. I got Resistance instead but I'll get it upon my return.

Interested in this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neuromancer said:
Only 2 reviews so far, suspicious.

Warhammer isn't even sending copies out until today...there's just way too many fucking games, lol. I doubt this one was high on their review radar.

The floating hands in that video above are really weird, but I'm interested in trying this out.

DustinC

We (Gaming-Age) got the review copy on Friday from SEGA, so I was able to buzz through it over the weekend to get it up on Monday. Embargo was up Monday morning for reviews, so I'm not sure why there seems to be a delay for some sites.

I think a lot of folks will unfortunately sleep on this (reviewers included), but yeah, I really enjoyed it.

LiK

DustinC said:
We (Gaming-Age) got the review copy on Friday from SEGA, so I was able to buzz through it over the weekend to get it up on Monday. Embargo was up Monday morning for reviews, so I'm not sure why there seems to be a delay for some sites.

I think a lot of folks will unfortunately sleep on this (reviewers included), but yeah, I really enjoyed it.
How long was it?

salromano

benzy said:
Who the hell am I supposed to believe here?

I played it at E3 for like 10 minutes and stopped after two deaths because the controls were terrible and unresponsive. Not sure how they made out in the final build, though.

Poker360

I've played a little more.

I'm on chapter 3 now. (Finished 0, 1, and 2)

Definitely still pretty interesting game. Some of the walking started to get a little awkward as i started to face multiple enemies, but still a pretty cool game.

Well I just tore all the ligaments in my left ankle and spent 7 hours in hospital, so guess who won't be playing RoN for the next 3 weeks....

...me :(

I think the price will fall fairly quickly, so I'll probably pick it up later and get The Gunstringer instead. It's good to see that it isn't a disaster though, and that the Kinect interactions seem to work and make it worthwhile despite the weak presentation and story. It gives me hope for future titles like Ryse. A game like this with a big budget and some thought and care put into the writing is something I'm 100% interested in.

Frankfurt

Banned
Dissapointed that the game isn't 10 hours long like Sega said... I doubt we'll be getting anything like it any time soon so I was hoping to get the most out of it, even if it was padded - the idea of "directly" interacting with a cheesy horror movie set in a mansion filled with crazy monsters is something that makes me grin from ear to ear.

Frankfurt

Banned
8 out of 10:

The controls are probably the biggest surprise, they work and work really well. I’ve seen some videos out there where they have someone who doesn’t know anything about Kinect and they just start flailing about and move too far forward or out of the Kinect’s range and then it makes for a humorous video and people will say the controls look clunky. In actuality, when you play it at home and adjust to the control scheme, it’s very simple and effective. It took me about five minutes to learn the controls and probably about twenty minutes to master them. Since the game is not on rails, you simply place one foot in front of the other to move forward, the further you place it in front of the other, the faster you walk.

http://gamerxchange.net/2011/09/06/rise-of-nightmares-review/

Neuromancer said:
Oh no! How'd that happen?

There is a dip/crack at the bottom of the apartments stairs that I have been telling the landlord to fix forever.

I f'ed myself up on it last night, ankle rolled inward (crack crack crack), then ankle rolled outward (pop pop pop). Luckily for me, it could have been worse! Still hurts just to sit still though :(

Coin Return said:
Impressive scores for a game most would've bet on being terrible.

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised!

Frankfurt

Banned
Coin Return said:
Impressive scores for a game most would've bet on being terrible.

Is it enough to sell, though? If it had been released in July or early last month, maybe...

Competition is fiercer now. It's got TV commercials, which is nice, but I'm worried it'll be ignored like CoE, and devs will see that as a reason to stick to music, fitness and party games. Nothing wrong with those, but I only need one series for each genre (I want a solid martial arts or boxing series, thought).

So far only 3 or 4 titles have sold well for Kinect, right?

Frankfurt said:
Is it enough to sell, though? If it had been released in July or early last month, maybe...

Competition is fiercer now. It's got TV commercials, which is nice, but I'm worried it'll be ignored like CoE, and devs will see that as a reason to stick to music, fitness and party games. Nothing wrong with those, but I only need one series for each genre (I want a solid martial arts or boxing series, thought).

So far only 3 or 4 titles have sold well for Kinect, right?

Kinect games are far and few between, they could keep promoting RoN through Halloween & Christmas.

Top Bottom