• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of Nightmares screens (Sega + kinect + horror game) :|

B-Dex

Got it today. Had fun so far. Controls surprisingly work. Just have to remember when exploring to stop walking when you wanna interact with objects etc....

the TMO

I tried the game at E3 and Gamescom, the controls are far from being functional or cool. There is a lot of problem in the walking mechanic and the fighting sistem and IA was pretty bad.

Gamescom Build was also a Review Copy.
I smell a new No More Heroes no-brainer case in the air...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So is it House of the Dead with melee? Because if it's mad corny, I'm so in.

I'd probably buy a kinect for this and Gunstringer

I've been reading through some of the Metacritic reviews but none of them do a decent job of explaining how the controls work. Is it on rails or do you control it like a fps?

Alx

Mizzou Gaming said:
I've been reading through some of the Metacritic reviews but none of them do a decent job of explaining how the controls work. Is it on rails or do you control it like a fps?

From what I remember, you can control where you want to go by turning your upper body, and moving one foot forwards to go in that direction (or backwards to go back I suppose). But you can also raise your right arm in a special position to let the character follow the default path by itself.

mollipen

Mizzou Gaming said:

You stand there. Putting one foot out in front of you makes your character walk forward. Putting one foot out behind you makes you walk backward. Turning your shoulders makes the camera turn in the appropriate direction. Using combinations of those elements, it's fully free moment.

If you want to have your character auto-walk to the next appropriate checkpoint, however, you can put your right arm up.

S1kkZ

played for an hour:

-controls work fine, only turning could be better.
-graphics are bad, charactermodels and enemy designs are ok/good.
-fighting works well and is pretty fun
-lots of nice gestures implemented in the game (opening doors, climbing ladders, swimming, pushing enemies away etc.). you just do what you would do in rl and the game reacts.
-pretty violent
-you can calibrate the time it takes for the cursor-circle to "fill". awesome, every kinect game should do this.

codhand

day one if this guy is unlockable

images

After I played a ways into the game to learn the basics, I restarted and adjusted the sensitivity of the shoulder turning speed almost all the way up and maxed the inspection/interaction and menu confirmation speed. Much better this way.

If you can patiently deal with the control of your posture and your shoulders symmetry as well as your foot placement while being a bit more deliberate and full range with your gestures (striking/swinging/throwing/stabbing), this game is surprisingly playable and even intensified because of the physicality. However, things become shaky and unwieldy when multiple enemies in combat show up. Instant death hazards and environmental damage in cramped hallways and rooms can be excruciatingly annoying while battling enemies in the same places, but the game's auto-checkpointing seems pretty regular, which helps take some of the frustration out of such deaths. It does take a certain level of patience to put up with some of the quirks, but it is a pretty decent arcadey horror adventure, so far, if you can adapt.

So far, I'd prefer some constant visual feedback in the form of close behind-the-back silhouette matching your movements and some method of strafing or sidestepping outside of the occasional special interaction, like detecting the lateral distance between feet and the foot/leg which moves to the side or perhaps the angle of lean where leaning to the side will trigger a dodge or movement for more refined navigation. Slightly fidgety turning and, as a consequence, navigation through the environment is just the big killer speed bump, IMO. I'd really like Sega to refine this over time with title updates because it is not far from being a smooth play experience with the right tweaks and additions.

quin

Has anyone checked if the U.S. version is region free? The Japanese version is way too expensive and Play-Asia wont ship the Asian version to Japan...

Ricker

This game is pretty well done,I like it a lot hehe....I`mstuck right now at the second time you meet Ernest,you have to not move or something but if I choose the auto walk way,I just run into him and if I move myself,so i can stand still nearest to the wall so he passes by,he still sees me and it`s game over...what`s the trick here?

bryehn

Liking it so far. Combat is a bit sketchy (lol dismembered limbs), but everything works well for the most part. Love it's cornball-ness. Really reminds me of House of the Dead (the movie lol).

Ricker said:
This game is pretty well done,I like it a lot hehe....I`mstuck right now at the second time you meet Ernest,you have to not move or something but if I choose the auto walk way,I just run into him and if I move myself,so i can stand still nearest to the wall so he passes by,he still sees me and it`s game over...what`s the trick here?
Is this the S-patterned hallway lined with wooden chests where you first see him walking away from you?
The third straight corridor in the hallway, the last part before a door, has a few chests lined up on the right-hand side so all you need to do is get yourself between them and wait for him to pass as he heads back to the entrance of the hallway.

Or is this the place with the meat tenderizer hidden on the floor behind a wooden chest sitting angled diagonally?
Just sit there at the spot where the weapon is and wait for him to pass and then immediately run into the larger room ahead where the crank-operated machine is sitting against the wall.

Still having a lot of fun with the game, but multiple enemy encounters can still be a vicious mofo to deal with. Love the constant stream of new gestures at various points in the game.

Ricker

MightyHedgehog said:
Is this the S-patterned hallway lined with wooden chests where you first see him walking away from you?
The third straight corridor in the hallway, the last part before a door, has a few chests lined up on the right-hand side so all you need to do is get yourself between them and wait for him to pass as he heads back to the entrance of the hallway.

Or is this the place with the meat tenderizer hidden on the floor behind a wooden chest sitting angled diagonally?
Just sit there at the spot where the weapon is and wait for him to pass and then immediately run into the larger room ahead where the crank-operated machine is sitting against the wall.

Still having a lot of fun with the game, but multiple enemy encounters can still be a vicious mofo to deal with. Love the constant stream of new gestures at various points in the game.

Yeah,it was the last one with the music box puzzle after,that was pretty cool...also figured the other part after a few tries...walking through those huge blades spinning and moving on the ground was also nerve racking hehe...I love the added tension those little puzzles create thanks to the Kinect.

I had to stop for a while though because I just discovered kicking works well and my legs where starting to hurt,especially after the first Boss battle,that was pretty cool as well
the freaking ballerina twins lol
,good stuff.

Grisby

Rented and got to Act 3.

Wow, this is pretty fun. Everything works and it works pretty well. Sega made some smart choices with the auto walking feature. The combat feels like I'm playing Condemned and the gore is nice.

Lotta House of the Dead feelings up in here.

Grisby

Made it to Act 6. This is a pretty long game for Kinect (that and I'm sick so I get tired easily). The story is full on camp fun and there was was a ncie twist I didn't see coming. Oh, and some of the music is suprisingly good too.

I've only had one or two points where I've been frustrated with the controls. Even so, it still has some awesome implementation. I do wish your walking movements were a lot faster though.

When I got to pick up a chainsaw while simultaneously kicking dudes back into spikes this game won me over. Lotta fun.

Tain

Is there any chance at all that this game can be a difficult one? Do the controls allow it? I kinda want to try it, but not if it's just a bunch of "wave your body like this to see THIS death animation."

Grisby

Tain said:
Is there any chance at all that this game can be a difficult one? Do the controls allow it? I kinda want to try it, but not if it's just a bunch of "wave your body like this to see THIS death animation."

If you let enemies surround you in later areas you'll be dead in seconds. I actually ran away a bit at one point and was laughing because of the 'survival horror' feeling on my Kinect.

Still, this has mostly been an easy game but enjoyable. For the first free roaming 3D game I think RON does a pretty decent job.

Varshes

My wife and I are on Act 6, we are really enjoying it. It's super cheesy and everything but that's part of the appeal. I bought the Zoom for Kinect and once you get the hang of the controls in the game, it actually works pretty well.

Grisby

Varshes said:
My wife and I are on Act 6, we are really enjoying it. It's super cheesy and everything but that's part of the appeal. I bought the Zoom for Kinect and once you get the hang of the controls in the game, it actually works pretty well.

I just beat it. I think I'll do a short review or something with story stuff in spoilers. The tale RON tells is classic camp insanity. Was a lot of fun and a new experience.

Have you tried that zoom thing with any other Kinect stuff like Dance Central? I could pick one of those up if it was a good product.

mujun

This game is fun and it works really well in terms of the Kinect implementation.

I'm up to the second twist and it's pretty cool, the game has, as others have mentioned a campy B-grade horror flick vibe but it's well written (especially for a Japanese game) and surprisingly engaging.

If they make a second one there is quite a lot of stuff they'd need to tweak. Jumping would be a good way to have you do a quick 180. The turn speed could use a setting too, I don't think sensitivity covers.

I don't think this game has gotten a fair go with a lot of the media. I think it's a solid 7 game and something that, if it wasn't a Kinect game, would probably become a cult hit.

bryehn

Stuck on Act 3 when the
masked guy appears in a hallway
. No matter where I try to hide he just walks right up to me, any tips?

mujun

bryehn said:
Stuck on Act 3 when the
masked guy appears in a hallway
. No matter where I try to hide he just walks right up to me, any tips?

The second you gain control 180 and walk into the corner next to/behind the big wooden box. I had trouble at that spot, too.

Raide said:
Between this and Diabolic Pitch, its nice to see some HotD styled games appearing. :D

What I want, is a next gen HotD again. I played the crap outta all the gun games last-gen and I want more. MOAR!

Raide

DiatribeEQ said:
What I want, is a next gen HotD again. I played the crap outta all the gun games last-gen and I want more. MOAR!

Overkill on the Wii (and soon PS3) was really awesome.

Just release the old SEGA gun and package it please!

Grisby

Phonomezer said:
Great impressions guys, looking forward to a write-up, Grisby!

Heh, better late then never write bud?

Rise O Nightmares Quick Review

Gameplay:
Here's out meat and potatoes peeps and it all boils down to one question (as it seems to be with Kinect), does it work? I'm happy to say that nine times outta ten most of your actions taken on screen will be at your own behalf and not Kinect screwing up.

In fact, this is where Rise of Nightmares sets itself apart from pretty much any Kinect game on the market. The movements it asks you to make can be anything from swatting roaches crawling up your arms to digging through a pile of corpse guts in search of a key. However, it mostly comes down to two actions, killing zambies and moving around in a complete 3D environment. RON is the first Kinect game that allows you do this I believe and it handles the movements pretty well. The enemies aren't so fast or smart that your constantly being outmaneuvered but things can get hairy if they get you in a corner in a group. For the most part though the movement controls feel good and you can even auto walk at times preventing the experience from being too tiring.

Now the second part of that last paragraph had me talkn about enemies and I wanted to make a special point here. Sega gives you tons of weapons to the point where I felt like I was playing a kinect version of Monolith's Condemned series (ha, the first game was published by SEGA). Tons of weapons await you and it was really fun to try them all out on the undead horde.

However, there are a lot of problems with Rise of Nightmares. While the above two paragraphs may seem glowing I did have some issues that may seem more major to the gaming community at large. For one, while the controls work your main character moves a tad too slow for my liking. It's just enough to where exploration becomes a bit of a hassle because of it. Also, sometimes I had trouble locking onto an enemy in combat which presented some problems. Lastly, the movements you make with Kinect are mostly self explanatory but there are some obscure ones that may take you a bit to perform correctly, just because you have a different idea of what the precise movement should be.

Presentation/Story/All that jazz:
The game's environments don't look all that hot. They get the job done but that's about it. Strangely there are some interesting physics at work sometimes such as kicking a zombie into a pantry shelf and watching cans fly off. Game models look alright with the zombies looking good and distinct. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear some nice music at various parts of the game. Not a lot mind you, but better then I thought this game would have.

I was going to spoil the story here in a giant wall of text but you know what? It deserves to be seen. It's fun and campy with some twists that I didn't see coming. I honestly didn't know where the game was taking me and man what a ride it turned out to be.

Overall:
Rise of Nightmares is a fun game. Is it a good game? Well, I'd have to say that a 6/10 score to even a 5/10 score would not go disagreed upon by me. See, if the game doesn't capture you your in for a mediocre experience because of the negatives I listed above being there in full force. I however, got enamored by the tech and the crazy ass story while cutting zombies up in fun ways.

I mean, I don't know what to say. This game is a full 8 hours or so experience with an extra act thrown on top of it. If you have a Kinect and want something other then a rail shooter then try this out. Rise of Nightmares embraces the Kinect whole-heartedly and really flails toward the stars. Oh, and it also has one of the most crazy camp stories I've played to boot.

cool, my wife bought it yesterday, hell yeah!

she loved it when I showed her a gameplay youtube video and she told me she wanted to play it, thank god for blessing me with her :D

Man I'm standing like 8 feet back and it keeps telling me I'm too close.

Also the walking and turning controls are horrible. This game should have been on rails.

Other than that though I like the gore, the cheesiness and the combat is OK. It's all the other stuff that gets frustrating.

Disregard, I ended up finishing the game.

Goddamn this game had so much potential. I liked the story as crazy and bizarre as it was, I enjoyed the combat for the most part (except when you get swarmed by dudes), and the music was pretty cool in spots (some bits with female vocals reminded me of music by Dead Can Dance.) Also there's some crazy late game stuff that happens that changes up combat quite a bit.

What absolutely kills the game is the movement controls. It's not fun having to turn your shoulders and put your leg forward or backwards, it's just awkward and a quarter of the time it misinterprets your moves. The whole game should have been on rails, that brought you from fight to fight.

Alx

Nice. I wonder why they don't put up demos for all kinect games, I think it's essential to have at least tried those still experimental gameplays to know if you like them or not. Now that I think about it, I tried the demos of all the kinect games I own (but Child of Eden) before buying them.

I'd like to have a demo of Fighters Uncaged too... I know it's not a very good game, but maybe it could be good enough at a low price.

Top Bottom