• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Anung

Un Rama
Man I come here to discuss the actual game. All I see is people moaning about this input lag pages and pages of it. I can't notice it tbh. It seems fine to me and I've been gaming since c64 days. Why are forums so centred around one games technical merits? Just enjoy this great game? You don't get stuff like this every month. Isn't the OT supposed to be discussing the actual game?

Reading the comments here anyone would think it runs like Shadow of Mordor on PS3. I just think people feel privledged and entitled to the smallest of details and nuances these days because of the internet. Yes they probably could have made input lag better after a year but it's still completely playable.
What about all the buggy games like 7 Days to Die or bug ridden games like Fallout? Those are a lot worse.

What a ridiculous opinion.

I just reached
Jonah in his cell.

The game is solid, but the dead zone drags the whole game down. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but when a big gun fight breaks out everything from aiming to simply moving Lara feels terrible. It hurts the game a lot.

Also, graphically the game is mixed. Most times it can look pretty, but other times it can actually look down right ugly.

I've seen people say the voice acting is bad, but I actually think it's pretty fantastic. I kinda like
Ana
as a villain too.

When it comes to the actual story, it's a complete joyless bore. I started listening to the audio logs, but after about 10 of them they bored me to tears.

So far the game is about a 7.5/10 which could potentially be like a 9/10 if the damn dead zone was fixed!

Man I come here to discuss the actual game. All I see is people moaning about this input lag pages and pages of it. I can't notice it tbh. It seems fine to me and I've been gaming since c64 days. Why are forums so centred around one games technical merits? Just enjoy this great game? You don't get stuff like this every month. Isn't the OT supposed to be discussing the actual game?

Reading the comments here anyone would think it runs like Shadow of Mordor on PS3. I just think people feel privledged and entitled to the smallest of details and nuances these days because of the internet. Yes they probably could have made input lag better after a year but it's still completely playable.
What about all the buggy games like 7 Days to Die or bug ridden games like Fallout? Those are a lot worse.

Anyway my question was how is the VR portion of the game? Is it fun?

It's such a sad state of affairs. It's why I don't even bother going into OT topics for big games on NeoGaf anymore. This game is phenomenal. Loved it last year on XBO. And loving it again on the PS4.

I wish people, especially on NeoGaf, would just focus on the game and the result of a lot of hard work put into the game by talented development teams. Anyways, I'd recommend this game to any gamer who has been waiting for it to come onto the PS4 and never got a chance to play through it before.

Wanderer5

It's such a sad state of affairs. It's why I don't even bother going into OT topics for big games on NeoGaf anymore. This game is phenomenal. Loved it last year on XBO. And loving it again on the PS4.

I wish people, especially on NeoGaf, would just focus on the game and the result of a lot of hard work put into the game by talented development teams. Anyways, I'd recommend this game to any gamer who has been waiting for it to come onto the PS4 and never got a chance to play through it before.

Oh they are focusing on the game alright, and struggling with it.

Bladenic

I just reached
Jonah in his cell.

The game is solid, but the dead zone drags the whole game down. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but when a big gun fight breaks out everything from aiming to simply moving Lara feels terrible. It hurts the game a lot.

Also, graphically the game is mixed. Most times it can look pretty, but other times it can actually look down right ugly.

I've seen people say the voice acting is bad, but I actually think it's pretty fantastic. I kinda like
Ana
as a villain too.

When it comes to the actual story, it's a complete joyless bore. I started listening to the audio logs, but after about 10 of them they bored me to tears.

So far the game is about a 7.5/10 which could potentially be like a 9/10 if the damn dead zone was fixed!

Where do you think it looks ugly? Looking at background trees definitely isn't advisable lmao. Also where you're at, how much further are you than me? I just
finished the attack on the geothermal valley village and headed to the tower that contains the atlas.

Where do you think it looks ugly? Looking at background trees definitely isn't advisable lmao. Also where you're at, how much further are you than me? I just
finished the attack on the geothermal valley village and headed to the tower that contains the atlas.

I think Uncharted 4 might have spoilt me. : (

I thought the snow hub area where you could first do a quest for an NPC was ugly. White and brown with a pinch of jaggies. Really boring looking. I thought
Jacob's village
in certain spots was ugly too. All the NPC's look really bad.

Compared to something like the tomb in Syria, for example, some other areas look average compared to it.

And your about an hour behind me.

lazytiger

Neo Member
Also, don't even try hunting rabbits, squirrels and chickens! :p

Oh my God, I thought it was just me. I was genuinely starting to think that maybe my reflexes and/or eyesight had deteriorated to the point where I can't effectively play games involving aiming any more. Sooooo many arrows wasted trying to take out those damn rabbits :D

Well, I'm equally relieved and disappointed then.

Eblo

I just reached Geothermal Valley. Calling it now,
Jacob is the Prophet and is hundreds of years old or some shit. He seems so suspiciously wise and charismatic to his people, and he even managed to convince Lara to let him out of prison. He's manipulating her. Not to mention he's seen effortlessly taking care of soldiers, which fits with the Prophet's ability to form a solid militia.

Naar

I remember people talking about a change in how Lara looked in the PS4 definitive edition a few years ago.

After playing Rise, were people complaining about how she looks more like the model she is based off? Because I prefer the old Lara look instead of the one based of her actress.

Also lip syncing seems off.

kc44135

So, uh, does anybody here even like this game besides me? Seriously, this thread is bumming me out. I just keep seeing comments like "this game is ugly, the story sucks, the lag makes the game broken and unplayable". This game is gorgeous to me, it's incredibly fun to play, and the lag stopped bothering me a long time ago. It's there, and I'm aware of it, but it hasn't stopped me from pulling off headshots without too much effort. I can't shoot bunnies and squirrels for the life of me, but I had the same problem in TR2013. They're fast little buggers. The story is pretty terrible, I'll give you guys that. I just think everything else is too good for me to even care.

kc44135

Jacob is the Prophet and is hundreds of years old or some shit. He seems so suspiciously wise and charismatic to his people, and he even managed to convince Lara to let him out of prison. He's manipulating her. Not to mention he's seen effortlessly taking care of soldiers, which fits with the Prophet's ability to form a solid militia.

Yup, thinking the same, lol. The story seems super predictable so far.

Amazing. GAF never disappoints.

Saying "get good" to people with legit criticism towards dead zones and input lags. Hahahaha, now I've seen it all.

Oh my God, I thought it was just me. I was genuinely starting to think that maybe my reflexes and/or eyesight had deteriorated to the point where I can't effectively play games involving aiming any more. Sooooo many arrows wasted trying to take out those damn rabbits :D

Well, I'm equally relieved and disappointed then.
I know how that feels lol

A bit of advice, don't try charging your arrow shoots. Even a single quick shot with the bow can kill the rabbits. Happy hunting :)

Toa TAK

Banned

Yup, thinking the same, lol. The story seems super predictable so far.
Well damn, guys lol

Honestly I much preferred the cliche-fest that was the original game's story. You never feel the same momentum in ROTTR despite it being an overall better gameplay experience.

Reebot

So, uh, does anybody here even like this game besides me? Seriously, this thread is bumming me out. I just keep seeing comments like "this game is ugly, the story sucks, the lag makes the game broken and unplayable".

The game as designed, I like a lot.

I'm not going to bury my head in the sand about input lag. It's inexcusable. And some posts in here - not yours - desperately defending it are, frankly, pathetic.

A, A+ design

F execution.

Arklite

I remember people talking about a change in how Lara looked in the PS4 definitive edition a few years ago.

After playing Rise, were people complaining about how she looks more like the model she is based off? Because I prefer the old Lara look instead of the one based of her actress.

Also lip syncing seems off.

She still doesn't look like her actress, this is just a third rendition.

So how's Endurance mode?

Tense, fun, somewhat limited. The map and caves can get repetitious but you never know when the next encounter or series of events might finish you.

Arklite

^ I'm liking Rise model the most. Can't get too attached though as she'll likely look like a fourth person in the next game.

kc44135

Well damn, guys lol

Honestly I much preferred the cliche-fest that was the original game's story. You never feel the same momentum in ROTTR despite it being an overall better gameplay experience.

Yeah, I preferred TR2013's story too, despite it's problems. It had a pretty terrible cast of supporting characters, but it was cool seeing Lara grow into the Tomb Raider we all know and love. Also, I thought the island had a better sense of place, and more compelling sense of mystery to it. Sure, the final reveal was cliche, but I did think the buildup to it was effective. Can't say the same for Rise, and as you said, the plot just completely lacks any momentum so far. Oh well, at least the gameplay and overall design is pretty good, lag and all.

So, uh, does anybody here even like this game besides me? Seriously, this thread is bumming me out. I just keep seeing comments like "this game is ugly, the story sucks, the lag makes the game broken and unplayable". This game is gorgeous to me, it's incredibly fun to play, and the lag stopped bothering me a long time ago. It's there, and I'm aware of it, but it hasn't stopped me from pulling off headshots without too much effort. I can't shoot bunnies and squirrels for the life of me, but I had the same problem in TR2013. They're fast little buggers. The story is pretty terrible, I'll give you guys that. I just think everything else is too good for me to even care.

I like it a lot and I've said it before. The game is super fun. The tombs, exploration, puzzles, the secondary missions that you get and their rewards, they are all amazing and quite entertaining. Not to mention the new outfit system which I absolutely love. Story is kinda "meh" but I didn't care about story in the first game so it doesn't really bother me. So yeah, the game is very fun and enjoyable to play. I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.

But all of that don't change the fact that each time I'm forced into a combat situation the input lag and dead zones make those parts an absolute chore to get through. It's really not hard to see why people (including myself) are frustrated by that. You are really enjoying the game until it forces you into these situations. It's even more frustrating cause each time you upgrade one of your weapons or skills, you are just reminded of how phenomenal the combat could have been if devs would have just bothered to fix the lack of responsiveness and dead zones in controls.

2013 Lara > RotTR Lara > > > Definitive Edition Lara

Switch the 2013 Lara with this one from RotTR and I agree. Honestly don't know who among devs thought the DE model was good.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah, I preferred TR2013's story too, despite it's problems. It had a pretty terrible cast of supporting characters, but it was cool seeing Lara grow into the Tomb Raider we all know and love. Also, I thought the island had a better sense of place, and more compelling sense of mystery to it. Sure, the final reveal was cliche, but I did think the buildup to it was effective. Can't say the same for Rise, and as you said, the plot just completely lacks any momentum so far. Oh well, at least the gameplay and overall design is pretty good, lag and all.
Yeah, I really dig the ancient feel of the island with the blend of WWII bunkers and ancient Japanese architecture throughout a lot more than Russia. I think I'd want to see the reboot series tackle something along the lines of a horror atmosphere. They keep hinting at it in both games and I think it would work well with the pace of the game.
I absolutely adore this game, and it's easily one of my favorites of the year. Like I said, weaker story, but everything else has been expanded upon or perfected. Going to have to spend some time doing the Endurance Co-Op, and finish getting gold stars for the game, too.

And the added difficulty is welcomed. I needed another excuse to go through it again.

kc44135

The game as designed, I like a lot.

I'm not going to bury my head in the sand about input lag. It's inexcusable. And some posts in here - not yours - desperately defending it are, frankly, pathetic.

A, A+ design

F execution.

Well, yeah, nobody should be defending the lag. It IS a flaw of this and the X1 version. I would just argue that it's something you can get used to with time, and that it doesn't ruin the experience. But everyone is different when it comes to input response and lag, I suppose. I do want to say, though, that anyone waiting for a patch for the lag is probably going to be disappointed.

Nixxes (which handled this port) already fixed the lag completely on X360 and PC, so I really doubt they would let the issue just slip by on PS4. Given this and the fact that the X1 still hasn't been patched for the lag a year later, I'd say it's likely just an issue with how this game engine interacts with PS4 and X1, or something along those lines. I just doubt a patch will happen, as I believe Nixxes would have already corrected the issue if they could have, unfortunately. I'd say that the best we can probably hope for here is that the PS4PRO's 60 FPS mode can reduce the lag, and that the next TR game can correct these issues. I'd love to be proven wrong though, and the game would be better lag-free.

Naar

She still doesn't look like her actress, this is just a third rendition.

She looks a lot like Lara in game, or rather Lara looks a lot like her

latest

Anyways the game is a lot better than TR2013 and in some cases even better than Uncharted 4, just wish the aiming issues/lag was not there :\

Bladenic

I'm honestly tempted to give this game the story edge only because the cast of supporting characters aren't completely annoying idiots. The lack of Sam is strange but not really felt. Plus so far there haven't some completely idiot ball moments like anything to do with that obviously evil guy with the crew or weird cutscenes like Mathias' introduction. Not to mention Lara doesn't say she hates tombs.

Nothing amazing here, but I expected nothing so I'm pleasantly surprised since Reyes is nowhere in sight.

kc44135

Yeah, I really dig the ancient feel of the island with the blend of WWII bunkers and ancient Japanese architecture throughout a lot more than Russia. I think I'd want to see the reboot series tackle something along the lines of a horror atmosphere. They keep hinting at it in both games and I think it would work well with the pace of the game.

I absolutely adore this game, and it's easily one of my favorites of the year. Like I said, weaker story, but everything else has been expanded upon or perfected. Going to have to spend some time doing the Endurance Co-Op, and finish getting gold stars for the game, too.

And the added difficulty is welcomed. I needed another excuse to go through it again.
Glad to hear somebody else is really enjoying the game! Also, yeah, a darker, more horror focused atmosphere could be great. Crystal D seem like they have a knack for it. Did you see some of the early concept art for TR2013? It should Lara on horseback basically fighting what looked like Necromorphs, lol. I think it could be cool to see the series go in that direction. Better than a bunch of
armored zombies
in every game at least, lol.

kc44135

I like it a lot and I've said it before. The game is super fun. The tombs, exploration, puzzles, the secondary missions that you get and their rewards, they are all amazing and quite entertaining. Not to mention the new outfit system which I absolutely love. Story is kinda "meh" but I didn't care about story in the first game so it doesn't really bother me. So yeah, the game is very fun and enjoyable to play. I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.

But all of that don't change the fact that each time I'm forced into a combat situation the input lag and dead zones make those parts an absolute chore to get through. It's really not hard to see why people (including myself) are frustrated by that. You are really enjoying the game until it forces you into these situations. It's even more frustrating cause each time you upgrade one of your weapons or skills, you are just reminded of how phenomenal the combat could have been if devs would have just bothered to fix the lack of responsiveness and dead zones in controls.

Switch the 2013 Lara with this one from RotTR and I agree. Honestly don't know who among devs thought the DE model was good.

Yeah, I feel you man. Like I said in another comment though, I'm not sure the lag is an easy fix, unfortunately. I think it would have already been dealt with if it was.

Wanderer5

I'm honestly tempted to give this game the story edge only because the cast of supporting characters aren't completely annoying idiots. The lack of Sam is strange but not really felt. Plus so far there haven't some completely idiot ball moments like anything to do with that obviously evil guy with the crew or weird cutscenes like Mathias' introduction. Not to mention Lara doesn't say she hates tombs.

Nothing amazing here, but I expected nothing so I'm pleasantly surprised since Reyes is nowhere in sight.

Sam and Reyes are comic stuff for now (and things are quite heating up regarding Sam actually).:p

Bladenic

Yeah, I feel you man. Like I said in another comment though, I'm not sure the lag is an easy fix, unfortunately. I think it would have already been dealt with if it was.

But isn't this issue absent from the PC and 360 versions?

Sam and Reyes are comic stuff for now (and things are quite heating up regarding Sam actually).:p

There's an ongoing comic? Or just those one-shots that were between 13 and Rise? Didn't those basically state that Sam is like not talking to Lara? But you said things are "heating up." Frankly a lesbian relationship being made canon would be awesome for such an iconic character, especially since she's never had a love interest.

Toa TAK

Banned
Glad to hear somebody else is really enjoying the game! Also, yeah, a darker, more horror focused atmosphere could be great. Crystal D seem like they have a knack for it. Did you see some of the early concept art for TR2013? It should Lara on horseback basically fighting what looked like Necromorphs, lol. I think it could be cool to see the series go in that direction. Better than a bunch of
armored zombies
in every game at least, lol.
I saw that! Parts in the first game show they could nail it without becoming a horror game, but creating that kind of atmosphere at least is something they nail whenever they feel like it. A couple bits in ROTTR show this later on.
Are they good? Been tempted but the only thing I've been into beyond the game was the book.
There's an ongoing comic? Or just those one-shots that were between 13 and Rise? Didn't those basically state that Sam is like not talking to Lara? But you said things are "heating up." Frankly a lesbian relationship being made canon would be awesome for such an iconic character, especially since she's never had a love interest.
I'm convinced she is, because every. Single. Man. Hits in her in the novel and she isn't phased. Everything is for Sam.

Fucking Sam.

Reebot

Anyways the game is a lot better than TR2013 and in some cases even better than Uncharted 4, just wish the aiming issues/lag was not there :\

There's a lot RotTR does better than UC4, encounter design and pacing being chief among them. I really, really like that health doesn't regenerate during combat, bringing much needed flow to the gun fights.

Mediking

It's hard to look at Camilla Ludington, voice actress for Lara, the same after a certain scene she was in for the show Californication... ;)

Wanderer5

Haven't read alot of the comic (particularly the second series after Rise), but know some things going on, and Sam, well I just put this in spoilers just in case, but
Himiko was able to possessed her, and is taking control.

There a doc in Rise that talks about it a bit I think.

Grisby

Xbox one user here. I did the update. Is the Blood Ties deal in the main game? Can I just load up my finished game and go into it?

Also, my Endurance mode seems to be gone from the expeditions tab. :(

Bladenic

Haven't read alot of the comic (particularly the second series after Rise), but know some things going on, and Sam, well I just put this in spoilers just in case, but
Himiko was able to possessed her, and is taking control.

There a doc in Rise that talks about it a bit I think.

Wait what?? That's seriously something that should be addressed in the games. Something for Dawn of the Tomb Raider, perhaps?

Toa TAK

Banned
Xbox one user here. I did the update. Is the Blood Ties deal in the main game? Can I just load up my finished game and go into it?

Also, my Endurance mode seems to be gone from the expeditions tab. :(
It'll be there from the get-go.

As for Endurance, restarting should fix it.

Kiro

Does the map display every collectible or not? I'm really confused as to what it is showing. There are so many collectibles... are challenges/ credits worthwhile? What do credits give you?

leng jai

When I played on X1 I basically used stealth and the bow as much as possible, makes the input lag much less annoying. Too bad you can't do that towards the end of the game.

Jhn

Anyway my question was how is the VR portion of the game? Is it fun?

Wow. Worst usage of "privledged" and "entitled" I've seen yet, and there's some stiff competition. Good job dismantling whatever meaning those words still had left.

If we don't talk about this, things will never change. You people are completely overlooking how debilitating this issue is for a lot of us. For some it's straight up unplayable, and for many more it makes the otherwise excellent game a complete chore and drains all the fun out of it.

If we're going to be hyperbolic and ridiculous and throw around words like "privilege" and "entitlement" I'd say you need to check your "not bothered by input lag" privilege and accept that people have problems with this. Don't minimize other peoples issues just because you don't have any. Or rather, that you too have it, but are too imperceptive to be bothered by it.

Please, discuss other aspects of the game. Noone is stopping you. Meanwhile, many of us will continue discussing the lag, as that is the issue that most shapes our experience.

Totally ageee. People forget developers work hard and go through a lot to bring games out on time. The game is great and a nice improvement over the first one. Not just another sequel.

Bluth54

The most predictable twist in a game since it was revealed who the Arkahm Knight really was.

Montresor

If you are on Xbox, what week specifically are you supposed to play the game in order to receive 100,000 free credits? This week or next?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I love everything about the game, and wish I could get past the input lag. I stopped playing on the XB1 about half way through because I couldn't deal with it any more.

After they announced the PS4 version, I was hoping the lag would be fixed. I was willing to pay another 60 to play the game correctly. And they still didn't fix it. Mind boggling.

Also, normally input lag doesn't bother me at all. People complain about it in tons of games I enjoyed, and I never even noticed it. However, in this game it ruins it.

I'm almost thinking of picking up the 360 version to play through now because somehow it doesn't have the input lag.

I LOVE it. I think the game looks pretty great, I'm having no issues with the input lag, and I just enjoy playing it. I'm a pretty big Uncharted fan and I honestly have more fun actually playing this game than UC4 ( UC4 has a 1000000x better story and far more interesting characters).

Top Bottom