• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider in-game screens

TomShoe

Banned
It's a console exclusive on the lesser selling brand at launch. That alone cuts its sales down significantly. And it's cross gen, so the wow factor is dismissed for some. RIP PBR.

Checklist time:

- Xbox exclusive? Check.
- Cross-gen? Check.
- November (right between CoD & BF) release date? Check.
- Coming to other platforms later? Check.

I'm not trying to bash the game for what it is, but it has all the makings of a holiday bomb.

Kama_1082

Banned
Checklist time:

- Xbox exclusive? Check.
- Cross-gen? Check.

I'm not trying to bash the game for what it is, but it has all the makings of a holiday bomb.
Bullshit

Checklist time:

- Xbox exclusive? Check.
- Cross-gen? Check.

It's gonna get slaughtered by COD and Battlefront then release in spring and get slaughtered again by UC4/SFV or possibly the divison.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
So many in here seemingly want this game to fail or at least have enough "wrong" with it so it can be pulled apart.
Will be good to actually judge it on what is shown at E3 rather than some low quality screens leaked onto Twitter.

Kama_1082

Banned
So many in here seemingly want this game to fail or at least have enough "wrong" with it so it can be pulled apart.
Will be good to actually judge it on what is shown at E3 rather than some low quality screens leaked onto Twitter.
The subtle bias in this thread is sickening.

What makes me so wrong? Sunset Overdrive, Driveclub, Little Big Planet 3, and Forza Horizon 2 were all in the same boat. All of them were exclusive games that released during the holiday, and not one of them charted.

Tomb Raider is bigger than all those franchises you mentioned and by some distance, the game will end up doing fine. Looking at those pictures, I can't say I'm impressed by the graphics but will wait until we get some further confirmation about design of the game which could have contributed to that such as the levels being quite large. But cross gen really should have fucked off this year in particular, really silly to hold back a game due to that. Even if the developers are different for the 360/XB1 versions the design would have to take into account the older console as well.

Mononoke

Banned
Can't really tell if that looks good or not. As an Xbox One owner though, I'm getting this on PC. So eh. I hope the Xbox One version runs well, because there are a lot of gamers that will want to play this. Why wish bad performance for them.

I'd like to confirm it has better writing than the first game before I root anything.

The first game's writing was god awful.

Writing was really bad. But I loved the gameplay as well as the mini hub world design. The exploration bits were awesome. So as a game it was great. As a story, it was Hollywood Action schlock. Some of that dialogue and character writing was oof.

Kama_1082

Banned
It's kind of annoying to see so many people rooting for this to fail.
Its because it was funded by Microsoft for a timed exclusive. Notice that the pitchforks weren't out when it was announced that Sony money hatted SFV, but I can guarantee that they would be if MS signed the check.

R3TRODYCE

They should delay this or move the date to early fall. The screens are too compressed for me to really judge the graphics though.

Holy shit, some of the posts in this thread. God damn.

Anyways, pictures are too low quality and too small to be able to tell anything. Monday will be the judge of the game.

synce

Its gon be 30fps too isn't it

Haha you'd be lucky to find a game that can maintain 30fps this gen.

This looks okay. Wish they'd show a different level though. Want to see if Lara gets her classic costume back. TR reboot had the worst costumes ever

Mononoke

Banned
Its because it was funded by Microsoft for a timed exclusive. Notice that the pitchforks weren't out when it was announced that Sony money hatted SFV, but I can guarantee that they would be if MS signed the check.

That could be some of it. But there was a lot of dislike for the first game because of the writing. It wasn't the most popular game on here.

People who expected a graphical jump probably missed the news which confirmed it was being developed on Tomb Raider Definitive Edition engine.

Fat4all

Banned

That's not exactly the same case.

Microsoft paid for a exclusive period of Tomb Raider for 6 months, they didn't pay for the production of the game. They won't be receiving a production credit on the game and it will eventually come to the PS4 and PC.

With Street Fighter V, Sony deliberately paid for part-production of the title. They didn't pay for full exclusivity as it is also coming to PC, but their production title guarantees them the only console rights for the game.

It was most likely Tomb Raider was already in it's production period when either they or MS approached the other to talk exclusivity deals, but not early enough to lock out the other platforms entirely. Sony was able to do that with Capcom it seems.

Fat4all

Banned
Less than 20m sold first weekend.

That's at least Squeenix's definition.

My definition of a bomb is that it doesn't chart in NPD. I still don't think it will chart, if only since there are tons of other franchises that'll be competing for precious charts space that holiday.

It's gonna be super hard for them to chart that month, but I think with both SKU's they could pull it off.

If September and October games have legs, which they most likely will (MGSV, AssCreed, Halo) then yeah, it's a hard fought battle.

TomShoe

Banned
Just to be clear, what the definition of "bomb" here?

My definition of a bomb is that it doesn't chart in NPD. I still don't think it will chart, if only since there are tons of other franchises that'll be competing for precious charts space that holiday.

Oh boy

They aren't even the same thing but hey that shouldnt stop you from regurgitating the same ole salty tired bullshit from every SFV thread.

JP

Not a lot to go on here but it looks OK to me, it's not as if the first game stood out technically when it released.

DOWN

Banned
Tomb Raider was already funded and in development without MS and as a multiplat franchise. Crystal already confirmed the game was going to happen without MS. Many see this as a poorly handled deal since it is the first case we've seen where a company basically paid to keep a game off of systems it would have been on without the money deal, especially when it has a history and bigger fan base on a different platform.

SFV was not going to be in development for years until sony actually funded the acceleration of its production and Capcom has confirmed Sony is so essential to its development that SF V will never come to Xbox. That's very different from the so messed up exclusive PR for Tomb Raider that forced both Spencer and the devs to quickly admit that it's a paid timed exclusive and has a likely future on other platforms as would have been the case without Microsoft.

Genio88

Those screens are too small and compressed to judge, but i loved TR 2013 and it looks awesome on PC and console "definitive edition", so i'm sure this one will be great too. Just one day and we'll have a gameplay demo from Microsoft conference, no point in reviewing this stuff

kyser73

Someone get this man a picture of the world please.

Fat4all

Banned
Someone get this man a picture of the world please.

world-police-usa.png

Chris1

Checklist time:

- Xbox exclusive? Check.
- Cross-gen? Check.

You're forgetting it's (most likely) going to be heavily bundled, that's a guaranteed ~1.5mill or so sales minimum.

Edit: Ah I see you're only referring to physical for NPD? We'll see, it's going to be tough because it's only really on one platform (let's be honest, 360 won't do much) let alone all the other big heavy hitters coming out.

Top Bottom