• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider sold over 430k on Steam

Hoje0308

Banned
Story, graphics, gameplay were all great and huge steps up from the last game. Really surprising game on all fronts.

The graphics and gameplay were great, but the story, while still being an improvement over the last game, is still awful. You could easily make an argument that the gameplay went backward a bit, given the issue with input lag the game had on the console it was most closely associated with. Not sure how any of that could be called a huge step forward. Even the graphics, which could be jaw dropping at times, still looked a bit rough in certain areas. But, opinions I guess.

Tomb Raider has a big following on PC so I'm not that surprised. Also the fact that it comes for free with one of the most popular GPUs (GTX970) helps.
Not bad for few screenshots and one old trailer promo in just 2 weeks.

JC3 is at around 450k after 11 weeks!

This site says complete sales should be around 2m:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...xcom-2-are-selling-extremely-well-on-pc-36079
It came for free with the i7 6700K. Why anyone would buy the hilariously overpriced CPU at the moment is anyone's guess though.

jelly

Same. I've played it for about three hours so far. It looks nice but I feel it's way too similar to the last game.

It's pretty similar. Rope axe is pretty sweet, some new moves and traversal are neat but everything else is basically stretched out but still as simple and similar at the core like the last one. The Tombs are larger and a few maybe take a little more time but it's more or less, lets make you walk or climb further which is okay but there isn't much challenge in those mechanics so leaves you rather empty. I still had fun. Collectables are horrid though. Crystal Dynamics need to take a leap next time and cut back on filler, it would be generous to call improvements baby steps in Rise.

Spinifex

"The timed exclusive probably cost only $20 million or so," said Wedbush Securities' analyst, "but you probably saw [Rise of the Tomb Raider] advertising throughout the holidays. My guess is that Microsoft spent another $20 million advertising the game."

Square-Enix made out like bandits if this is the case. I bought the game for PC and I quite enjoyed it but let's not kid ourselves. It was competent at best, a disappointing follow-up at worst.

-MD-

Same. I've played it for about three hours so far. It looks nice but I feel it's way too similar to the last game.

Super similar, I really only played it because people said they fixed a lot of the first game's issues but that doesn't seem to be the case 12 hours in.

I wish they'd abandon this current TR formula and do something new with the next one, this shit just isn't for me.

Koobion

Very cool. The game seems to deserve better sales than it originally appeared to get.

There's a substantial graphical upgrade over the Xbox version, isn't there? I will probably be another PC customer if so.

ghibli99

Square-Enix made out like bandits if this is the case. I bought the game for PC and I quite enjoyed it but let's not kid ourselves. It was competent at best, a disappointing follow-up at worst.
Do people like anything anymore?

I loved it. I thought the writing and story were worse in the first game, and that was still one of my favorites from 2013. Rise refined and improved upon everything, which is basically all I wanted out of the sequel. Plus, it looked amazing. It's crazy how dated it makes the first game look.

Rise%2Bof%2Bthe%2BTomb%2BRaider%2BPC%2Bsales%2Bfigures.jp

Not bad.
Wasn't the game being sold for 9$ as some sort of a promo?

Lokimaru

I think the difference between the writing of Lara and Nate is that Lara never questions any of the crazy shit she does while Nate does question it. Nate also talks while adventuring, to himself or to friends along for the journey while Lara only talks to inform the player of her current situation, you only hear her intimate thoughts at a base camp. She's just alone all the time even when around people she can talk to. I love both characters but Nate tends connects better with players then Lara does.

_machine

That quote means for the exclusivity, not the full development cost (which is probably least north of 40 million, though even that is most likely way too conservative).

prudislav

nice.

i wonder if denuovo really helped it!
i would say the fact its not on PS4 yet helped much more than this pseudoDRM/malware thingie

Windows 10 store Is crying.
well there is quite a lot of people buying it on Win10 store because of some 12bucks deal in ukrainian store

But yeah have it on steam aswell... thx Nvidia, althought but don't really trust its protection scheme to actually run it outside of sandboxie

Percy

Banned
How are total sales of the title matching up to it's predecessor within the same timeframe?

Then Google it? Or check the older NeoGAF ROTR threads?
You sound a little entitled and demanding.

I don't recall it ever being proven in older ROTR threads that what that poster claims is true.

GrandiaX

Banned
Just started playing last night. Love everything about the game. A massive improvement over the original which was also quite good. It deserves to sell at least a million on PC.

Catdaddy

Started on my second playthrough Monday, and still loving it. Great game, it may be similar to TR2013, but too me that's not a bad thing. Not the greatest story I played, but the gameplay is top-notch and now I can skip all cutscenes...

Paganmoon

Doesn't "sold on steam" numbers pretty much mean 'sold on PC (including physical sales with steam codes)'? Or are these numbers actual sales on steam?

Then don't believe him or don't act entitled to "sources? link?"
You can do without the "proof not personal feelings".

So I'm entitled because I asked for proof of what the poster was claiming and trying to pass off as a fact?

Lmao !!!! get outta here with that bulllshit bruh

Hektor

Doesn't "sold on steam" numbers pretty much mean 'sold on PC (including physical sales with steam codes)'? Or are these numbers actual sales on steam?

They include all copys activated on Steam. That means games bought through steam or third-party reseller like GMG, as well as retail copys (If they're steamworks DRM)

It does not include copys sold through the WIn10 Store.

jackdoe

I think the 2013 reboot was better than this. They really ubisoftified the formula
Practically every major set piece in the game is a run along a crumbling pathway while enemies may or may not be firing at you. They needed something different to break it up. Otherwise it becomes parody.

NeoRaider

So I'm entitled because I asked for proof of what the poster was claiming and trying to pass off as a fact?

Gallagher actually revealed that Crystal Dynamic’s relationship with Microsoft didn’t happen overnight. It was a “long partnership” that occurred way back in 2008. Back then, they had some exclusive DLC for Xbox 360 owners of Tomb Raider Underworld.

Gallagher then admitted that Microsoft helped Crystal Dynamics “achieve what we want with Rise of the Tomb Raider“. Although he did say the game could have existed without Microsoft’s help, mainly because the Tomb Raider franchise has existed for over 20 years and is still a popular brand.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-helped-rise-tomb-raider-big-way/

Can we pls stop this now? Since you can't google i did it for you.

SRTtoZ

Also ROTTR's writing is not any worse than your typical non-good video game writing, I've no idea why everyone focuses so much on that when it has about the same level of quality you'd expect from a video game

Its way below average. I play a lot of video games and I don't remember the last time I had to write so much about a game because I thought the story was so damn bad.

I don't think so. XCOM2 has 563k sales in 4 days and that game has been pirated since day1. People will buy good games regardless, all this piracy talk is just media BS.

On the other hand Xcom2 is a more hardcore-ish game, it aims to a more dedicated audience, which may have more inclination in buying their games instead of pirating. Tomb Raider fits a bit more the profile of games that are highly pirated: AAA games which are a bit more casual and with great graphics.

JaggedSac

I'm curious as to how it did there. As more "hardcore" gamers it probably isn't worth it for us to buy there, but there is a *ton* of visibility for it on the Windows Store since it's default installed on all Win10 devices.

I still don't think it did as well as Steam but I bet it didn't just flop over and die, either.

There is ~0% +|- 0% chance it did better than Steam.

Do people like anything anymore?

I loved it. I thought the writing and story were worse in the first game, and that was still one of my favorites from 2013. Rise refined and improved upon everything, which is basically all I wanted out of the sequel. Plus, it looked amazing. It's crazy how dated it makes the first game look.
Ditto. Solidarity my friend!

Well deserved. I was really worried this was going to get buried given it's release date, but a great game found it's audience, and we can eagerly await more in the series. Hopefully a bigger step forwards from a gameplay stand point next time, but the Tomb Raider 2013 formula was hardly tired.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Isn't that how things work here? You make a statement as fact then you better be able to back it up.
Except this particular thing has been said many times in many threads about the topic. Is this your first time in a ROTR thread?

prudislav

On the other hand Xcom2 is a more hardcore-ish game, it aims to a more dedicated audience, which may have more inclination in buying their games instead of pirating. Tomb Raider fits a bit more the profile of games that are highly pirated: AAA games which are a bit more casual and with great graphics.
on other other hand that casual audience is likely not that skilled and harcore-ish and lazy to actually bother with pirate stuff ;-)

etta

my hard graphic balls
LOL at RoTTR not getting made without MS help!

That sounds like pure PR.
Of course it was already being made, but I doubt it would have come in 2015 as a multiplatform. It would have probably taken 1+ years more.

Chobel

Of course it was already being made, but I doubt it would have come in 2015 as a multiplatform. It would have probably taken 1+ years more.

LOL!

I'm curious as to how it did there. As more "hardcore" gamers it probably isn't worth it for us to buy there, but there is a *ton* of visibility for it on the Windows Store since it's default installed on all Win10 devices.

I still don't think it did as well as Steam but I bet it didn't just flop over and die, either.

Windows store... visibility? Please.

I never said it wouldn't be made without their money.

No, but you're claiming RoTTR wouldn't have been the same quality as now without MS involvement.

Except this particular thing has been said many times in many threads about the topic. Is this the first time in a ROTR thread?

And every time that person is lucky if they avoid a ban, especially if they compare it to SFV. Not sure why it is still being discussed. It false and if really doesn't matter at this point.

Wow now you are just making stuff up. This is a new one.

Top Bottom