• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords |OT| The magic is back

Sentenza

Some guy on GameFAQs says its quite a mess on the PS3
20081019184008!Interessometro_-_care-o-meter.jpg

Sorry, just joking.
Bad news for PS3-only users, I guess, but admittedly that's not exactly a feedback that either interests nor surprises me, given the previous chapters on consoles.
They were a mess too, and in fact I would guess they strongly contributed the franchise's poor reputation.

Moff

I have not heard anything bad about the pc version of the game, from a technical standpoint. some people got it last week already.

its really sad that they never cared about the console versions, honestly. they could reach such a huge player base and it is perfectly playable with a pad.

I played risen 2 with the 360 pad on pc, controls were excellent.

Sentenza

its really sad that they never cared about the console versions, honestly. they could reach such a huge player base and it is perfectly playable with a pad.
It's not strictly a issue about not caring. it's just that they outsource it.
Piranha Bytes Studio works just to the PC version, other studios handle the ports.
And apparently with poor success so far.

Oh, and by the way i don't think they'll have any chance to reach a "huge player base" on console until they start to ramp up production value a lot. Console players want pretty graphics and AAA presentation, which is something that PB is clearly struggling to provide.

syko de4d

I have not heard anything bad about the pc version of the game, from a technical standpoint. some people got it last week already.

I played risen 2 with the 360 pad on pc, controls were excellent.

I hope after Risen 3 they now use a different engine, this must be the main reason for the bad console port. Risen3 engine is still the same as the one from Gothic3 just a little modified, or?

Maybe they shouldnt try to make their own engine anymore, with just 25 people. Get something like UE4 or maybe even Witcher3 engine, if this is possible.

And what do we want to see from PB after Risen3? Maybe some kind of dirty low fantasy sci fi RPG which is not about travelling between planets. You could take the Setting of Gothic1 and make a sci fi game with it. Some kind of prisoner planet where you gather minerals (like in gothic 1) and have many different species on the planet.
I would like a Gothic reboot too. I just love the setting of Gothic1 :lol

Sentenza

I hope after Risen 3 they now use a different engine
Oh well, they already confirmed this months ago. "Risen 3 will be the last game using our proprietary engine, it just isn't fit anymore for the size and scope of our future projects" or something like that.
No idea what they are going to pick next.

I've been playing the PC version on and off since last week. Gamefly just shipped me the PS3 version so I'll be putting some time into it as well so I can do a comparison in my review.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I've been playing the PC version on and off since last week. Gamefly just shipped me the PS3 version so I'll be putting some time into it as well so I can do a comparison in my review.

I know you're under embargo, but can you tell us how it compares to risen 2 (risen 2 being total shit) and risen 1 (being excellent). Is it more like the former or the latter?

Edit: talking about pc version.

It was an interview with PB people, that I'm confident about.
I think from a German magazine/gaming site, but I'm not sure; my memory is failing me here.

I know I read something that at least sounded differently (though it doesn't directly address future games). Now I remembered where: Interview by PCGames Hardware (08.07.2014)

Original Statement (German):
PCGH: Ihr nutzt ja weiter eine eigene Engine - Engines "von der Stange" sind demnach keine Option für euch. Welche Abwägungen trefft ihr da?

Philipp Krause: Wir haben unsere Engine kontinuierlich weiterentwickelt und speziell auf unsere Bedürfnisse angepasst. Eine in Lizenz erworbene Engine hat sicherlich ihre Vorteile, aber würde für uns auch eine enorme Umstellung unserer Arbeitsweise bedeuten - gerade, was komplexe Queststrukturen angeht.

My translation:
PCGH: You're still using your own engine - off-the-shelf engines don't seem to be an option for you. Which considerations do you take into account for this decision?

Philipp Krause: We continously developed our own engine and fit it to our needs. A licencsed engine certatinly has its advantages, but it would also mean an enormous change to our working process - especially regarding complex quest structures.

More information from this interview:
- the renderer now works fully deferred and supports phyiscal based shading
- they integrated "soft shadows" and "volumetric fog shadows"
- AA solution is FXAA
- better multicore support
- regarding future use of DX12 and Mantle: both are interesting, but they can't afford to support both (so in the end DX12 will be more interesting)

syko de4d

You can find a german reaction after some hours here

Graphics are fine and run smooth.
Music is good to very good.
NPCs are more unique and not so many clones anymore.
Tutorial is not the best. He didnt even know he was in a Tutorial
Starting area is a little linear.
Games gets open after starting area, alot to do. You can travel to all Islands. Feels more Open than Risen1/2.
Dialogues are alot better than Risen2. Very Funny and creativ. Wonderful!
Combat is better than Risen2 but not top, but there is no talk about magic here.
Didnt find any bugs beside some dead bodies fading away very fast and the sound of water drops in a temple where he couldnt saw any water.

Overall much better than Risen2. Better Dialogues and Quests, more Open and improved combat (he doesnt invested in Magic). Was hard for him to stop playing :)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
You can find a german reaction after some hours here

Graphics are fine and run smooth.
Music is good to very good.
NPCs are more unique and not so many clones anymore.
Tutorial is not the best. He didnt even know he was in a Tutorial
Starting area is a little linear.
Games gets open after starting area, alot to do. You can travel to all Islands. Feels more Open than Risen1/2.
Combat is better than Risen2 but not top, but there is no talk about magic here.
Didnt find any bugs beside some dead bodies fading away very fast and the sound of water drops in a temple where he couldnt saw any water.

Overall much better than Risen2. Better Dialogues and Quests, more Open and improved combat (he doesnt invested in Magic). Was hard for him to stop playing :)

Good to hear it's better than Risen 2.

Sentenza

I know I read something that at least sounded differently (though it doesn't directly address future games). Now I remembered where: Interview by PCGames Hardware (08.07.2014)
I don't know what to say, your interview seems also to be more recent, but I'm definitely not making shit up and no, I'm not even remember wrongly.

maybe they changed their minds, because they clearly and bluntly stated that this was going to be the last game with the same engine.
It was discussed even on this forum, now that I think about it.

That's nice to hear, but considering I had absolutely no issue with how funny and creative dialogues were in Risen 2 (if anything, they were a highlight for the game) I'm a bit suspicious about this point and I'm guessing that's just the writer's opinion.

syko de4d

That's nice to hear, but considering I had absolutely no issue with how funny and creative dialogues were in Risen 2 (if anything, they were a highlight for the game) I'm a bit suspicious about this point and I'm guessing that's just the writer's opinion.

Maybe i should have wrote more xD. What he said about dialogues: "NPCs have more too say and answers are sometimes very quite detailed, funny and sophisticated. You can tell it's a lot more creativity in it. Some of the NPCs get a real character."

Maybe i did short the text to much but i am lazy :(

Ok, I'm definitely not crazy. Here's the old post where I mentioned it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113310214&postcount=202

It's a bit ironic that this sounds news to you, since you were even replying to me in that very thread.
The source of this bit of info was this youtuber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlFMcr8gR08

Didn't want to indicate that you are wrong about this or something, I was just genuinely surprised (and yeah, I didn't watch that video..). Seems like the part at the end of the video about the engine or a possible new licensed engine (18:50) was mostly speculative though.

In the end I think it's likely that there will just be a larger upgrade to the engine now that they leave last gen consoles behind.

-SD-

Banned
I don't think Piranha Bytes will ever license an engine such as Unreal Engine or CryEngine. I also really hope they won't, since I want them to remain unique in every aspect where it's possible.

Sentenza

I don't think Piranha Bytes will ever license an engine such as Unreal Engine or CryEngine. I also really hope they won't, since I want them to remain unique in every aspect where it's possible.
I really don't think their engine ever played any significant part in what defined the uniqueness of their work so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy, I had forgotten about this one.

Risen 2 was a disappointment, but my enjoyment of the first Risen pretty much guarantees a day one purchase.

Of to see if I can't get this on Green Man Gaming for a discount...

Caayn

Random stupid question coming through: as the physical version is DRM free does that mean that I cannot activate it on Steam if I want to?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Random stupid question coming through: as the physical version is DRM free does that mean that I cannot activate it on Steam if I want to?

That would pretty much mean giving you two copies of the game for the price of one, so I doubt it. Only CD Projekt Red is that cool.

stn

Interested but curious:

1. How is the looting in Risen games? I'm a huge sucker for finding new gear.

2. Can you be any other race besides a human?

Looks good, may get it along with the new Diablo 3.

I know you're under embargo, but can you tell us how it compares to risen 2 (risen 2 being total shit) and risen 1 (being excellent). Is it more like the former or the latter?

Edit: talking about pc version.

All I can say is that I feel this game combines the two previous games. Nothing more then that though :p

Moff

Interested but curious:

Looks good, may get it along with the new Diablo 3.

you cannot even create your own character in piranha bytes games. its always a set male hero. (and just btw, I think the new character in risen 3 would have been a great opportunity to finally have a female one, I think it would have been nice to play as a woman in this tough world)

looting is pretty good in the risen games and often tied to crafting. you can gather ore and herbs for blacksmithing and potions. you can even learn to take animals apart. with the right tools you can skin them, remove teeth, claws etc. and sell it or use it for crafting.
usually there are also quests for the best weapons, like finding two parts and then blacksmithing them together.

but the best part about gear is that some of it is also tied to the factions. you start as a newcomer and the higher you rise in the ranks the better and more badass armor you get. people will also reacto to you differently.

this was always one of the coolest aspects of piranha bytes games, because it immerses you so much more in the world and makes you believe you are actually part of it and shaping it. its also one of the biggest flaws of risen 2, because thats not really there, but its back in risen 3.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Oh boy, I had forgotten about this one.

Risen 2 was a disappointment, but my enjoyment of the first Risen pretty much guarantees a day one purchase.

Of to see if I can't get this on Green Man Gaming for a discount...

Yeah, Risen 2 was utter trash but Risen 1 was good and I'll buy this at least to see the ending to the story. Thing is, all gameplay videos look very similar to Risen 2 which is a bad thing but I hope there is something good here.

Sentenza

Interested but curious:

How it should be in every good RPG: not a insane amount of equipment, but all handcrafted, hand-placed and relevant.
It's not a game about loot whoring, that's for sure.
Not as strict as Gothic, where armors were actually used as a way to remark the player's rank and status, but still, you won't be changing your gear every few steps and each upgrade will have its weight.

No. There aren't even other races beside humans in the game, if we exclude few anthropomorphic monsters.

So the console versions sound as funky as usual. Oh well, I was hoping for some improvement, but I can handle the Jank. I've done it twice now, and I still had a great time.

Seeing the game beyond the Jank is one of my special abilities! It served me well last gen in many an awesome Euro RPG.

Looks like we have some Youtube footage up - Looks like it's from the beginning of the game and it's the 360 version - I saw achievements pop up. Don't look so bad.

Risen 3 360 version from the start about 15 mins worth

I'm getting excited.

Clydefrog

So the console versions sound as funky as usual. Oh well, I was hoping for some improvement, but I can handle the Jank. I've done it twice now, and I still had a great time.

Seeing the game beyond the Jank is one of my special abilities! It served me well last gen in many an awesome Euro RPG.

Looks like we have some Youtube footage up - Looks like it's from the beginning of the game and it's the 360 version - I saw achievements pop up. Don't look so bad.

Risen 3 360 version from the start about 15 mins worth

I'm getting excited.

lol it still has that hilarious sequence of digging for treasure. shovel goes into ground, dirt flies around, no visible hole... suddenly, a giant chest appears!

Top Bottom