• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords |OT| The magic is back

Moff

Reviews are there:
Hookedgamers 8.9
-Risen 3: Titan Lords oozes atmosphere and serves as a reminder that this type of roleplaying game is absolutely timeless. All you need is great gameplay, a decent storyline and a rich, varied open world in which every time you turn in a new direction a new adventure awaits.
PC Gamer US (83%)
-Combat quibbles and muddy graphics do little to spoil the fun of this enjoyable RPG.
Strategyinformer 8/10
-Despite still having a few issues Risen 3: Titan Lords is a vast improvement on Risen 2.
Cramgaming 8/10
-If you’re a fan of action role playing games, then there’s a lot to like about Risen 3 which offers some pleasant and open ended adventuring.
TPreview 7/10
-Overall Risen 3 is an entertaining RPG. It doesn’t innovate or set any new standards, but it is fun and much more challenging than the standard fare.
Gameinformer 7/10
-While Risen 3 doesn’t have great combat or an enthralling story, there’s a lot of content to delve into for those hungry for an open-world action/RPG, and that might be enough to entice fans to give it a try.
IGN 5.2
-It's fun to fight in Risen 3: Titan Lords, but other important elements of the experience fall far short of acceptable.
Escapist 2/5
-Bloated in the mission department, threadbare everywhere else, Risen 3: Titan Lords is cobbled together from rehashed material, and the series' many flaws are enhanced a hundredfold in the process.

Jenenser

This is as stupid a video as the boar one about Gothic 3 or the one about Risen with that translation mistake. Just people bashing "some janky European RPG" for the sake of bashing. Then they proceed to praise crap like The Elder Scrolls series.

is it wrong if i had fun with both? gothic 3 was a mess btw. had the first edition so don't even try to convince me otherwise (still had fun with it) and isn't witcher another european rpg?
i don''t think thats how it works. but if its easyer for you then.
ok they just say it to bash european games.

Sentenza

If Jim hates it despite somehow loving risen 2 (what?) I'm staying far clear of this game:p
Considering how "Risen 1 put him off fairly quickly" (his own words) I would have an argument against that line of thought.
Anyway, i'm going to read his review in full and then play the game before calling his score bullshit... But that's surely how I'm incline to see it now, especially considered those other reviews claiming net improvements from the previous one.

EDIT: Ok, I *did* just read his review. His main, repeated complaint across the whole article (a shitload of quests, with lots of them as prerequirements to progress in other quests) doesn't strike me as a bad thing at all, but I guess I won't be able to tell for sure until I'll try it myself.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

The first paragraph of this review...(will spoiler tag it just in case)

Not long after the events of the last game, your unnamed hero and his sister Patty follow a treasure map to an ancient temple and encounter a Shadow Lord, a creature of the Underworld. You get your soul ripped out and sent to the Underworld, but a doctor versed in the arts of Voodoo Magic brings your body back to life. You have to get back your ship, your crew, and your soul, stop the Shadow Lords, seal the Crystal Portals that are now allowing their forces to pour out of the Underworld and ransack the world, and to top it all off the guy you killed in the last game is back as a ghost leading a fleet of ghost pirate ships. No pressure then.

what the fuck? I thought they said the hero is a new guy now he is the old one (and old one will be their just as npc)? did they switched or something?

also Patty is not the hero's sister.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

what the fuck? I thought they said the hero is a new guy now he is the old one (and old one will be their just as npc)? did they switched or something?

You misunderstood.

Edit: or maybe not, I'm not sure anymore!

Moff

no you are right. and I dont think the reviewer necessarily contradicts that in that paragraph, its not that clear, but its also possible that he misunderstood the story.

Sentenza

I'm guessing it's just him getting the story wrong.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm guessing it's just him getting the story wrong.

no you are right. and I dont think the reviewer necessarily contradicts that in that paragraph, its not that clear, but its also possible that he misunderstood the story.

PC Gamer's reviewer also says the same thing as Strategyinformer dude.
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/risen-3-titan-lords-review/

Piranha Bytes knows you probably didn't like Risen 2, and so the studio symbolically kills it off but 30 minutes into the sequel. There's our hero from 2012's pirate-themed adventure, still nameless after all these years and looking as though he just wandered off the set of Assassin's Creed IV. But piracy apparently isn't what you want, and so he dies in front of a glowing portal in a ruin without so much as a last "Arr."

Fortunately, he is risen. His corpse spends three weeks fermenting in the tropical sun before he's brought back to life by a loopy shaman. Piranha Bytes revives the series with him, and fittingly sends him off in search of his soul. It's a generally fun romp that takes him into deep caves hiding menacing shadow lords and into bleached dreams where he waxes philosophical with villains from Risens past, but happily it's not the kind of game that demands encyclopedic knowledge of its forebears. Risen 3: Titan Lord's tale of securing the help of powerful mages stands quite well on its own

the plot thickens :/

or the two reviewers, Leif Johnson and Chris Capel just got super confused by the story.

Moff

PC Gamer's reviewer also says the same thing as Strategyinformer dude.

the plot thickens :/

or the two reviewers, Leif Johnson and Chris Capel just got super confused by the story.
they both make the same mistake, they think the hero is the same. but thats not true, believe me.
its understandable though, PB heroes never have names. but honestly, it doesnt really matter does it.
still, its a different hero.
the one from risen 2 is in the game, too, as an NPC, there are screenshots.
you can believe me.

btw. game is unlocked now in the US

Denton

Completely worthless.

I found it hilarious. If Jim wanted to showcase how terrible or whatever the game is, he failed for me. I like these random hilarity moments in my RPGs. Like the one time I played Two Worlds 2 and after a long stupid dialogue my main hero just said "I Don't have time for this bullshit" and that was that :D

Also, from the gamersyde videos the world looks fun to explore as ever, so I will probably get this once I see it for 35 dollars or less. I enjoy Piranha RPGs. Just wish the main hero wasn't channeling his inner Christian Batman Bale. The only characters I like with growly voice are Geralt. And Solid Snake.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
From the Strategy Informer Review:

First off, combat. In Risen 2 it was balls. If I hadn't been reviewing it I would've given up in the first two hours because it was so painful. You could pathetically swing your sword and do a block that crucially only worked on sword attacks (not creatures) and that was it, and you had to spend a lot of Gold and XP/Glory in order to make the combat even remotely less tedious. Thankfully Piranha Bytes have listened, and while it still could be better it's at least playable. Right from the beginning you can charge a Power Attack, Blocking blocks everything but more powerful (and well indicated) attacks, double-tapping a direction dodge-rolls that way, and you always have a "dirty trick" handy which at the start is a pistol. While fights are still tricky and remain so over the game (even a basic enemy can always kill you if you're not careful or skilful) they are at least fair from the start, and once you've got a bit of practice in and start recognising when an attack's coming you're pretty much set for the entire game. The combat's never massively exciting, never quite smooth-flowing enough as it should be, and the auto-locking is terrible (my character once chose to hit a harmless duck instead of the massive undead horror charging at me) but unlike the previous game it at least never gets in the way of you playing it.

Guess I might be buying this after all.

Jenenser

will give my first impressions on this game in 2 days.
just so you guys know where i am comming from:

Loved Gothic 1 (game blew my mind as a kid 9/10)
Loved Gothic 2 (immature³:
still gettin a raging boner if i think about it
9/10)
liked Gothic 3 with community patch. (i give it an 8/10 unpatched its a 6/10 if it works)

risen 1 was great but had some minor flaws for me (8/10)
risen 2 was mäh, the whole setting was just mäh... can't even express it but still finished it. (6/10 could be i am rather generous here because of nostalgiareasons for the gothics)
liked divinity 2 even with its flaws. (7/10)

i am hyped as i am pretty nostalgic for gothiclike titles...
gonna quoute this post when i give my opinion.

anyone here who invested some time already and can sweeten it for me? :>

Sentenza

Looking at these Gamersyde videos right now.
This game is... so strange. It makes me feel almost schizophrenic.
One moment I'm pleased at how something looks remarkably better than in the previous game, one moment later I'm pissed about some glaring flaw in Risen 2 that wasn't fix or at some recycled content.

Moff

beginning is very linear, I have just reached the part where the game opens up and it gets better. 2 things that bother me already: all the maps are available from start, just why?
I dont feel the pirana byte dialogue charme yet, dont know why. maybe its the new hero voice, maybe its because I finished both other risen games in the past 3 weeks.

combat system is very different now, completely new. you roll all the time and make lunging attacks basically. cant say I think its worse, because I always hated playing melee in piranha bytes games. so I understand when people say its better. but people who liked the old melee gameplay will be very very disappointed.

Beast780

For those asking about the console versions, I'm playing on PS3. The graphics are shit and the story and voice acting are really cheesy (but for some reason I'm loving the crappiness of the story), but I'll likely sink some hours into this game after I beat Diablo III UEE on PS4. It's enjoyable. I couldn't get into Risen 2 at all.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I put 2 hours in. Melee combat is better that R2, but it's just serviceable. I gave up on R2 after three hours because the combat was terrible, so this is a positive.

Personally, I think the environment graphics are gorgeous. The world building is pure PB awesome as well.

Dialog is cheesy, but some of it is quite humorous.

I'm overall pretty pleased with the game so far.

This is on a PC playing 1080p comfy couch.

Picked this up with $10 off at GMG after seeing reviews saying it fixed risen 2 issues. I really disliked risen 2 after enjoying their previous games.

Loving it so far after adjusting graphically, combat being a big improvement, world design reminds me of their earlier great games. You can use Xbox controller if you enable from options.

This turned out a lot better than sacred 3

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I notice there is still the issue with the LOD popping in as you get close. There was a way to fix this in risen 2,i hope the same fix can be done for this game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Watching some video, there are many improvements but old locations and Risen 2 like floaty melee combat really overshadows the improvements.They really needed to bring back Risen 1 combat and avoid reuse Risen 2 locations.

He is new, and yes, he's Patty's brother.

thing is in that review the reviewer said he is the same old hero(Risen 1/2) and Patty is his sister. I was replaying to that (as in Patty is not the old hero's sister).

K.Sabot

Trying to watch him play, the Sub sound / effect is literally making it unwatchable.

As it is also making other streams I used to like become unwatchable, such a shitty trend.

MayMay

Banned
Trying to watch him play, the Sub sound / effect is literally making it unwatchable.

As it is also making other streams I used to like become unwatchable, such a shitty trend.

Yeah, his sound is the most annoying I've heard on twitch yet lol

Hambone

Any PC players having issues re-binding keys? I'm a left handed mouse user, so I normally re-bind keys to the right side of the keyboard. Every key I try to bind shows up as "B". Seeing how there is only one "B" on the keyboard I can only bind one key. Really strange.

At least the Xbox controller works perfectly out of the box.

Top Bottom