• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen (360/PC) First Details Revealed

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DennisK4 said:
We can always use more open-world RPGs - particularily ones that don't feel the need to hold your hand all the time (looking at you typical mainstream console RPG).
I like the way you think.
Zeliard said:
How does the combat in this game compare to The Witcher's?
The click frequency is a bit higher, side steps make it enjoyable and you have to aim at your target. So it's a tad more action-oriented.

Edit: Also, as far as I know, there's only one combat mode per weapon.

Edit: And you don't have to perfectly string your attacks to make a combo. The game's cool with unprecise clicks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
How does the combat in this game compare to The Witcher's?

It's not similar at all other than the fact that you draw your weapon and use the left mouse button to attack enemies. The combat can be much more frustrating in Risen, but I also find it infinitely more satisfying when you get fairly good at it and learn the movements of monsters. I personally found the combat in The Witcher to be the weakest part of the game. The same might be said of Risen, but I find it much more enjoyable here.

Have you played a Gothic game before?

DarK SouL

Ricker said:
What does this do actually,I can't download it from the link in the forums it seems...the game doesn't support the 360 controller and this makes it work?

For that to work you need Pinnacle, that application works like Xpadder but I consider it to be a whole lot better and has way better options. All it does is map the keyboard/mouse controls to the controller.

bengraven

Sad thing is, if the 360 version fails, it could spell the doom for the games on consoles.

Wait, that might not be BAD...

MacBosse

Victrix said:
If you enjoyed Gothic, buy this game now

Quoted for truth. I'm on the 360 version and I'm liking it. The graphics is kinda bad and the controls somewhat funky but eh it was cheap at Zavvi.

Zefah said:
Actually it appears that you can't officially join a faction until you get to the harbor town. You have to do 4 quests / favors for either faction there to be allowed to join Don's group or the Order. Whichever faction you complete the 4 quests for first is the faction you will automatically join.

Ahh thank you. *Phew*

BeeDog

Quickie question (minor spoiler):

I've done a decent number of quests in the swamp, but now I travelled to the rear entrance of the Harbor Town. If I enter, will it take long before I can leave the place again?

God this game is so awesome, the Gothic vibes make me warm and fuzzy. I just got an Executioner's Staff (it was... certainly fucking hard to get :D ) but I can't use it yet. :(

eXistor

BeeDog said:
Quickie question (minor spoiler):

I've done a decent number of quests in the swamp, but now I travelled to the rear entrance of the Harbor Town. If I enter, will it take long before I can leave the place again?

God this game is so awesome, the Gothic vibes make me warm and fuzzy. I just got an Executioner's Staff (it was... certainly fucking hard to get :D ) but I can't use it yet. :(

yes, it takes quite a while. One thing you can do is jump over the maingate from high up and be outside again, but I don't know if you'll be able to get back inside the city again.

dionysus said:
Ug, I hate when amazon uses USPS to ship. This game is never going to arrive. USPS shipment tracking blows too.

Yeah to all points.

I even lost a package once.

*I hope it doesn't happen to you*

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Loving the game so far, Just been doing quests in Harbor Town, I dont think there is a screen shot key, looks like I'll have to get some 3rd party software.

Any recommendations?

BeeDog

eXistor said:
yes, it takes quite a while. One thing you can do is jump over the maingate from high up and be outside again, but I don't know if you'll be able to get back inside the city again.

Aww. Thanks for the fast answer; perhaps I'll hold it off for a while then.

Dennis

Banned
Deacan said:
Loving the game so far, Just been doing quests in Harbor Town, I dont think there is a screen shot key, looks like I'll have to get some 3rd party software.

Any recommendations?
FRAPS - its free and perfect.

Surprising how much like Gothic it is. It's like they were making another sequel and just decided to call it Risen instead.

I see people still wearing the default clothes - you know you can steal a Seaman's Outfit from a chest in the main house of the farm early on? It's weak but better than nothing.

Of course you'll get caught and beat down by the farmer, but he lets you get up and keep whatever you take anyway.

Dennis

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Surprising how much like Gothic it is. It's like they were making another sequel and just decided to call it Risen instead.

I see people still wearing the default clothes - you know you can steal a Seaman's Outfit from a chest in the main house of the farm early on? It's weak but better than nothing.

Of course you'll get caught and beat down by the farmer, but he lets you get up and keep whatever you take anyway.
Stealing from commoners is bad. I prefer to smite the wicked.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Just doing a quick image test, two shots from Harbor Town
do8nrn.jpg

m9n09i.jpg

I am so confused as to which sides to take on quests in Harbor Town.

Both sides are just doing what their boss are telling them to do and they don't want to get into trouble. Like the guy who is spying Don's House in Harbor Town to steal the heirloom. He just doesn't want to die.

Victrix

*beard*
bigmit3737 said:
I am so confused as to which sides to take on quests in Harbor Town.

Both sides are just doing what their boss are telling them to do and they don't want to get into trouble. Like the guy who is spying Don's House in Harbor Town to steal the heirloom. He just doesn't want to die.

Welcome to the muddy world of Gothic morality

You have three 'class' choices, as far as I know, if you
Side with the Don, you can get Fighter training, if you get dragooned by the Order, or choose to side with them, you can become an Order warrior who is hybrid warrior/mage, and if you do good deeds for the mage in town AND side with the Order, you can become a mage

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wow! It's a remake of Turok 2! They jacked monster design, atmosphere and architecture directly from the game. I mean literally ripped it right from Iguanas art renders.

DarK SouL

Victrix said:
Welcome to the muddy world of Gothic morality

You have three 'class' choices, as far as I know, if you
Side with the Don, you can get Fighter training, if you get dragooned by the Order, or choose to side with them, you can become an Order warrior who is hybrid warrior/mage, and if you do good deeds for the mage in town AND side with the Order, you can become a mage

Ohh! this is what I needed to know! Time to get
kidnapped!

Confidence Man said:

They had a falling out with JoWood after the gothic 3 release, PB lost the gothic license so they made this instead.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
No matter where I DL the demo, it won't boot past a black screen, and the Risen logo gets stuck on my desktop until I log off/reboot/shutdown. I get some memory allocation error.

Now I'm afraid to buy the game...

Fredescu

brain_stew said:
On the topic of combat anyone tried this combat mod for the Witcher:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/full-combat-rebalance1/downloads/full-combat-rebalance-ver-1015

Since I can't afford to buy Risen atm, I'm planning on finally making my playthrough of The Witcher as its given me the itch. Just wondering if its worth using that mod on my first playthrough?
I wouldn't. Some complain about the combat but it's not so broken that you'd mod it on your first playthrough. If you really need a challenge play it on hard, which as the game will tell you makes you rely on alchemy.

played through the demo, makes me want to buy game. Character models are an improvement over Oblivion but god damn the first woman you see has triangle boobs and flat face. This game is kicking the shit out of my new system, i thinking it might be cpu limited might have to OC to see if i get an improvement.

Inkwell

Banned
Technosteve said:
played through the demo, makes me want to buy game. Character models are an improvement over Oblivion but god damn the first woman you see has triangle boobs and flat face. This game is kicking the shit out of my new system, i thinking it might be cpu limited might have to OC to see if i get an improvement.
I played the demo earlier and came here to post how well it ran on my system. I have an 8800GT, but I only have an Athlon 64 3700+ (OCed to 2.4). I didn't have all the settings on high. I know I had shadows turned off and vegetation on medium. I think everything else was either high settings or on medium.

The game seemed like it could be really good from the demo. I haven't played anything from the Gothic series so I can't compare the two.

Wag

From the demo the game definitely appeared to support PhysX to some to some level (although you couldn't adjust the settings).

B-Dex

I just finished playing the demo and thought it was really great.

I was out shopping earlier and didn't' see it anywhere... I'm hesitant to get it on steam since the demo off of steam doesn't work :S I had to download it form somewhere else.

Llyranor

The exploration/atmosphere in the Gothic 1 demo was pretty nice, even though I never got the full games. Hearing about the subpar combat is a bit disappointing. I'd be a lot more inclined to get this if the combat was Demon's Souls level quality or something. I'll try out the demo first, in any case.

BeeDog

Jesus christ, this game has gripped my balls and won't let go. Have played for ~10ish hours now, and I'm still on chapter 1, just got out of Harbour Town (char is around level 9). Goddamn it's awesome, and still surprisingly polished!

Dennis

Banned
BeeDog said:
Jesus christ, this game has gripped my balls and won't let go. Have played for ~10ish hours now, and I'm still on chapter 1, just got out of Harbour Town (char is around level 9). Goddamn it's awesome, and still surprisingly polished!
Yeah me too - super monkey grip.

The game reaaally opens up once you are out of Harbor Town.
There is this great feeling of: Hell yeah, I am going on an adventure! - adventure where any and all beasts can kill me if I don't keep focus during combat.

Mudo

Quick question? I bought this on Steam and have 2X ATI 4890 cards - is there a way to get some AA going on? I know you can. "force" it in the ATI control panel but that doesn't work in most games.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Played the demo.

:eek:

Bought (PC, duh). I never played the Gothic games because of all the bugginness/jankiness talk, but this seems totally fine. And after being stuck with bethesda games or the witcher (which is awesome but has a very limited equipment system) actually going off the beaten path a little and finding really useful goodies makes me giddy. Game's very pretty, too.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Man, I'm starting to regret the path I took in the this game (going straight to the Monastery). Fighting with only a staff is hard as balls! The people you gotta fight are tough, takes me forever to beat someone. Perhaps I'm just not good at timing my strikes or I'm doing something wrong.

I got my staff fighting skill to level 3 (4 with a ring I got) and can parry peoples blows, but the Novice Staff I'm wielding doesn't do much damage to things it seems. Has anyone else that is using staves found a better one?

Other than that, awesome game. I was so wrapped up in doing quests inside the Monastery that I started to get bored of it after like 4 hours, so I ventured outside finally, only to wish I was back inside the realtively safe convinces of the church hah! Bands of wolves tear me a new one, not to mention a group of 6 thieving gnomes. Love their warning animation, with the bouncing bags.

Speaking of "warning animation", it's cool how most things won't attack you outright if you just leave them be. They'll start threatening ya and if you walk away, they won't pursue.

Awesome game, great graphics and sound. Just wish I could fight with a staff better :D I'm sure I'll get it down eventually. I really want to use magic but so far have only learned to scribe scrolls, can't find someone to teach me how to cast. Off to Harbour Town now! (still haven't seen it 6 hours into the game)

Minsc

Gold Member
The more I read of Gothic fans are saying this is a great game, the more I want to play it. Gothic was so amazing, and this sounds very much like it, as has been mentioned many times.

Seems to be taking quite a few people by surprise, glad I'm not the only one who was in the dark about this game before.

well I am glad I gave this game more of a chance, its actually fun and beautiful looking. I still dont like the combat but I think I will play a stealthy character and mitigate that. I love the way enemies have a warn animation, really gives the game more realistic feel and I feel bad now killing all the innocent enemies before :lol

Anyone have any performance tips? On a GTX 260 core i7 I found I got a substantial framerate increase by ensuring the nvdia control panel 'VSync' was turned OFF (I normally keep this forced ON), this really helps the framerate when outdoors. Normally I turn down shadows for better framerates but in this game, it really detracts because of how nice the other effects are (ie the jagged shadow edges). For some reason my vista 64 blue screens when I try nTune's performance tab, despite having latest drivers. sigh.

is there any value in getting AP? I take it it stands for Achievement Points, so is there a real benefit or is it just like xbox achievements? I really liked in Mass Effect that achievements actually unlocked in game benefits, like 10% shield boost that kind of thing.

cleveridea said:
is there any value in getting AP? I take it it stands for Achievement Points, so is there a real benefit or is it just like xbox achievements? I really liked in Mass Effect that achievements actually unlocked in game benefits, like 10% shield boost that kind of thing.

:lol This isnt a console game bro :lol damn if achievements aren't the bane of gaming right now.

AP = Attack points. Probably.

Top Bottom