• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen (360/PC) First Details Revealed

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
To PC users. Is it really that hard to bind the 360 pad to keys?

Use Xpadder or Joy2Key, or some better program I don't know.

Myr

Banned
Why would you possibly want to play this with a 360 pad?

I normally use one for PC games, but the gamepad controls in this game are terrible. I seriously recommend using the mouse/keyboard combo here.

Rad-

Well this was 360 or nothing for me, so I guess I'll pass. I'm not supporting crappy port jobs. Hopefully Divinity 2's port is well done.

syllogism

eXistor said:
So it's clear the 360 version is a piece of shit, but please don't ignore the game based on that, on PC it's an awesome experience. I'm not gonna disagree on the combat, as it really is crap, but it's absolutely not the focus of the game. I'm having infinitely more fun with this than most other so called big-name titles this year.

@Zefah: you're spot-on, everything you've descibed I've been doing with Risen combat-wise and this is my first Piranha Bytes game. There are also the 3 factions that you can extensively scope out before deciding on one. I really must play the Gothic games now. If they're like Risen and perhaps even better, then I'm in for a treat.
I'm definitely having more fun than I had with, say, Mass Effect. Gothic games have always been in many ways flawed and as mentioned, very inaccessible but the sense of exploration and challenge makes it worthwhile.

Got the 360 version. It's a little clunky, graphically a little wonky and very, very dark. I am quite enjoying it though. Nice focus on exploration.

-SD-

Banned
I've been reading lots and lots of good feedback from the PC camp from all over the web.

The wait for my copy to arrive has become a test of endurance :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a quick save button on the 360 version? I simply can't imagine playing a Gothic type of game without saving obsessively. Anyway, 5 more hours 'til the Steam release! Unfortunately it is almost 11pm here so I will have to catch it in the morning.

I can't wait!

Played some at my friends place.

It seems pretty good so far.

VA is pretty good.

Different paths in storyline it seems depending on which faction you choose.
Graphics are pretty good, environment graphics.

Combat is not as bad as I thought. It's simple yet decent...and the animals get tougher after the "tutorial" section. I died a bunch of times already.

Exploring is good. It seems I already missed a shield and a bow.

I like it.

http://www.realgamer.net/xbox360/reviews/Risen.html

This guy gave it a 3/10. Obviously not someone who knows anything about the developer or Gothic series, as he suggests Risen steals ideas from Fable 2, Monster Hunter, and Bethesda.

The thing that annoys me most about Risen is the brazen way it steals ideas from so many better sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After half an hour an experienced RPG-er will likely be suffering from severe gamer deja-vu: chests are hidden and opened exactly as they are in Fable, the item collection and filing is practically the same as in Monster Hunter, dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda,

Seems to fancy himself an "experienced RPG-er", too. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Confidence Man said:
http://www.realgamer.net/xbox360/reviews/Risen.html

This guy gave it a 3/10. Obviously not someone who knows anything about the developer or Gothic series, as he suggests Risen steals ideas from Fable 2, Monster Hunter, and Bethesda.

Seems to fancy himself an "experienced RPG-er", too. :lol

Hey man, he's a "real gamer".

This is what happens when an extremely PC-centric game gets released to the "console only" crowd. It certainly doesn't help that the port job seems to be rather horrendous.

Well I called it, knew the 360 version was going to be a worthless, cheap, outsourced cash in. Anyone interested in this game was always going to be playing on the PC anyway.

Imported this from a UK seller for 360 since everyone is saying its region free. Will post my 360 impressions then...granted that might take a week or so to get here. :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
360/PC comparison gallery, obviously the PC version was going to be the better looking, but my god, what the fuck is this shit :lol

http://www.videogameszone.de/aid,69...tity_id=219665&image_id=1201013&page=1&order=

rtkd3t.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... that just looks awful. Did they actually remove all the grass and wheat in the crops or is that just one horribly low LOD? I imagine the pop-in is glorious on the 360 version. It's like they turned on an "N64 filter" for those 360 shots.

1zf5gn.jpg

:lol :lol

They should have done the comparison at 1080p, to really drill home the difference. Heck modern PC hardware will still be running the game with much better performance at 1080p, so its only fair.

Someone should post shots of the game running with low settings to see if the 360 version can even hit that benchmark. I don't hold out much hope.

Risen: "The quest for the missing textures and foliage" is a more apt. title for the 360 version.

dejan

brain_stew said:
They should have done the comparison at 1080p, to really drill home the difference. Heck modern PC hardware will still be running the game with much better performance at 1080p, so its only fair.

I just skimmed through the corresponding article and saw that the pc shots were taken at 1024x768. :lol

painey

theres actually some odd filter on the 360 version, imagine someone has flicked dirt on your TV.. its like that. It stays static as you move in the world, very odd.

I played the PC demo, and I was getting a consistent 30FPS on my e8400/HD4850 rig at 1920x1200 with every setting high as possible. It's a pretty game, too, as long as you're admiring the scenery and not the people. And you never, ever jump under any circumstances. It's shocking to see the 360 version look so repulsive:lol

dejan said:
I just skimmed through the corresponding article and saw that the pc shots were taken at 1024x768. :lol

So that's what the gap's like when they were being nice to the 360, then? :lol I dare not think what the difference will be like on a 1080p display then.

Downloading the demo from gamershell.com now, getting really fast speeds.

DieNgamers said:
The game got pretty good reviews in german gaming mags.

Every single review of the PC version seems to be positive whilst acknowledging the obvious flaws. Its only really the existence of the 360 version that is making it look like its reviewing badly.

Asparagus

Demo ran well for me, I was getting a solid 30 fps @ 1680x1050 maxed out with an 8800GT and 3.2GHz C2D.

It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun, think I'll have to pick it up.

-SD-

Banned
BeeDog said:
Yay, the PC version arrived today!
I hate you :p

Anyway... has there been any tweaked screenshots posted yet? I read from the World of Risen forums some time ago that the game has been made easily tweakable via the configuration file(s). Much longer view/level-of-detail/vegetation distance and so forth.

I tried the game out at friend's house yesterday,the npd are really low poly but everything else in the game is drop dead gorgous. Lighting,textures,smooth frame rate,which is cool because both our Pcs are about the same tech wise so I want the game soon. I tried mapping the game at with XPadder and oh boy,its gonna take some brain storming to do everything just right. It can be done but its not going to be nearly as good as the k/m set up.
Side stepping or evading when attacking enemies is really weird on the 360 pad. I mapped it to the left analog stick,was too twitchy,then mapped it to the bumper buttons,which was better but then you have to press the button twice to use a dash like tehnique to evade,its got a weird timing to me. Playable but something I'm going to have to get use to. Should have my copy this weekend if the local stores get it in. Around my parts they never carry many copies of these type of games so I'm thinking Steam might be my next route then.

Oh and boo! No fps mode. My friend tried tweaking a few files and couldn't unlock it,its a shame because the world in this game looks beautiful.

LOL..just received a call from the mall just now saying they got the game in. Apparently I preordered the 360 version,wtf why? Luckily they also have one copy for PC but its opened. Ahh fuck GameStop,why do you do this? Ofcourse I'll cave and buy it for new in 60 minutes. I'm weak.

Some of us need to chime in and compare how we have it configured via XPadder later today. I'll add mine abit later.

T-1000_Model3 said:
I tried the game out at friend's house yesterday,the npd are really low poly but everything else in the game is drop dead gorgous. Lighting,textures,smooth frame rate,which is cool because both our Pcs are about the same tech wise so I want the game soon. I tried mapping the game at with XPadder and oh boy,its gonna take some brain storming to do everything just right. It can be done but its not going to be nearly as good as the k/m set up.
Side stepping or evading when attacking enemies is really weird on the 360 pad. I mapped it to the left analog stick,was too twitchy,then mapped it to the bumper buttons,which was better but then you have to press the button twice to use a dash like tehnique to evade,its got a weird timing to me. Playable but something I'm going to have to get use to. Should have my copy this weekend if the local stores get it in.

Oh and boo! No fps mode. My friend tried tweaking a few files and couldn't unlock it,its a shame because the world in this game looks beautiful.

There'll probably be an update for Pinnacle Game Profiler available before long. For anyone that uses their controller for any serious amount of time its $20 very well spent. It automatically scans your program folder and will download fully configured profiles for your games, makes pretty much every game plug and play ona 360 pad. Much easier than fiddling with endless configuring, its all automatic.

brain_stew said:
There'll probably be an update for Pinnacle Game Profiler available before long. For anyone that uses their controller for any serious amount of time its $20 very well spent. It automatically scans your program folder and will download fully configured profiles for your games, makes pretty much every game plug and play ona 360 pad. Much easier than fiddling with endless configuring, its all automatic.

Interesting. Does the program take into account tweaking of the analogs,such as sensitivity? Also,can you map two or more buttons to one on the pad(i.e. SF4 super moves)

Pinnacle is lifetime or subscription based?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Awesome I open steam and it pops open a news window for Risen "Play Now!" and then I go to my games list and it's still unreleased.

Come on Valve, launch this so I can get it downloading before I go to work.

T-1000_Model3 said:
Interesting. Does the program take into account tweaking of the analogs,such as sensitivity? Also,can you map two or more buttons to one on the pad(i.e. SF4 super moves)

Pinnacle is lifetime or subscription based?

Yes, the profiles are already tweaked to work properly with a pad, and you can tweak sensitivities, acceleration and deadzones from there. I tried it with COD: WaW for instance and it felt just like controlling it on a 360 just without as much auto aim, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's hundreds of profiles built in and they're updated super quick, also sets up your pad to control the desktop and its the best implementation I've seen so far, more than good enough to launch games and other basic things.

I'm not sure on the two buttons to one, whenever I used I just used the preconfigured profiles as they're much better than I could ever have come up with.

There's a free 30 day trial, seriously check it out, its a really polished bit of software:

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

Been trying out the demo and yeah, its clear to see why the performance demands are quite high and why the 360 just isn't capable of running the game. Its using some seriously high end technology, the shadowing, sun shafts and SSAO are as good as it gets. The environments are a little poly starved, the animation is terrible and the art isn't going to win any awards, but it can look stunning at times, that's for sure.

I never dipped below 30fps at 1080p w/ everything maxed on my GTX 260, and the nice thing was that in all outdoor scenes performance was pretty consistant no nasty drops or spikes, always hovered around the same level which was much appreciated.

brain_stew said:
Yes, the profiles are already tweaked to work properly with a pad, and you can tweak sensitivities, acceleration and deadzones from there. I tried it with COD: WaW for instance and it felt just like controlling it on a 360 just without as much auto aim, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's hundreds of profiles built in and they're updated super quick, also sets up your pad to control the desktop and its the best implementation I've seen so far, more than good enough to launch games and other basic things.

I'm not sure on the two buttons to one, whenever I used I just used the preconfigured profiles as they're much better than I could ever have come up with.

There's a free 30 day trial, seriously check it out, its a really polished bit of software:

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/
As soon as the 360 manual becomes available Pinnacle will have a official profile up.

I was looking online to download the 360 manual to map the controls myself but it seems to be not out yet.

Seriously the sun shafts really make the visuals, really give the fully dynamic day-night cycle a huge, Crysis like impact. Honestly, in terms of the quality of the dynamic lighting and shadowing, Crysis is the only game I could compare it to, it really is that high quality:

2elrt50.jpg

5uhdz4.jpg

qp2nvp.jpg

1fi97c.jpg

w882m0.jpg

10nuddd.jpg

My framerate i locked rock solid at my 50hz refresh rate in the few internal areas in the demo, even with multiple shadow casting dynamic lights:
ipnj7q.jpg

This game would really look incredible with a DX11 parch to bring in tessellation, the low poly environments/cliffs/rocks are the one thing really holding back the graphhics, well there's the crappy animation of course but that's part of the charm.

Just delving into the demo's files and there looks to be a lot of yummy things to cofigure, including what looks like a fps cap and msaa setting. I'll let people know if they work. There looks to be a lot of potential for some "max++" graphics mods/config files here.

DarK SouL said:
wow, I am seriously never pre-ordering anything on Steam again... this shit was supposed to go live 3 hours ago!

No kidding. :( What bothers me in situations such as this (with any company) is the lack of communication. Obviously something has gone wrong and presumably they are aware of it, so why not just say something. In most industries, someone would have apologized by now and assured everyone that they are working on it, but the anonymity of the internet seems to get the better of some companies and they choose to hide out from their customers.

Top Bottom