• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

Minsc said:
http://www.31012.com/images/LH01.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.31012.com/images/LH03.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.31012.com/images/Clouds01.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.31012.com/images/OblivNE2.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.31012.com/images/Clouds02.jpg[/IMG

This is Oblivion at it's best, and it looks no where near as good.[/QUOTE]
Yeah guess my judgement is clouded by the modded PC version I played last.

Still the game doesn't look good in screens. I'm dl'en the demo as we speak.

Mr. Durden said:
It looks like like an xbox game with great lighting added. Doesn't make it look good.

So you haven't played it then? The character models are standard/lower end PS3/360 level, sure and the environments are low geometric detail, but apart from that its comfortably beyond what any console game is pushing.

Seeing as there are a few 4870x2 owners in this thread, I though I should mention again that ghost_w32.exe gives you the same profile boost as crysis.exe and allows you to force AA through the CCC.

Durante

Mr. Durden said:
Oblivion is way older, and looks way better.
The environments are better than even the most modded Oblivion (believe me, my Oblivion installation is at its mod limit). The lighting is way beyond anything Oblivion does (in fact, it's beyond most games in general, even non-RPGs). The character models and animations are average in both games. I really don't see where you're coming from.
(And this game has far better performance than modded Oblivion)

59f874e566.jpg

Anyway, I really love the game so far. I don't even understand the complaints about the combat, I actually like the system. Using strategy and care I was able to defeat enemies that could kill me in 2 hits and take 20.

hamchan

Let's say the 360 version is the only version I am able to play. Is this game good enough that I should play a bad port?

JoeMartin

So I'd really like to give the game a try, and I DL'd the demo on steam, but it won't run?

I launch it and nothing happens. E8400 + HD4850 (Catalyst 9.9).

Durante

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Anyone with tips on parrying?
Depends on what you mean. When I meet a new enemy type I just parry and observe its attack pattern to find out when there is a definite delay, and that's when I attack. Oh, and you should obviously immediately parry in case your strike gets parried or negated in another way (eg. simultaneous strikes).

Edit: One more thing: It's extremely useful to trap enemies in front of walls or cliffs so that they can no longer evade.

Dennis

Banned
Zefah said:
Anyway, I'm a bit into Chapter 3 now and some really cool stuff happened with the story. No crazy twists or anything, but the story is pretty entertaining. I'm up to level 22 now.

Lol, I am a slowpoke. Played 20 hours already but only in Chapter 1 and are level 8.

brain_stew said:
Those shots were taken at 1024x768 without AA, the difference is much more pronounced in reality.

For Nvidia users, to enable AA set the AA profile in Risen's compatibility tab to "00000245: Vanguard" and choose whatever AA settings you want from there. Standard msaa has a very small performance hit so its well worth doing. As there's a lot of transparency aliasing in the game, you should be checking the "transparency multisampling" checkbox as well. The engine supports transparency supersampling as well and it shows a huge IQ improvement, and the performance impact isn't too bad considering, so its well worth trying out.

Ok I have a nvidia card but having issues doing this. Anyone care to walk me through it?

Durante said:
Depends on what you mean. When I meet a new enemy type I just parry and observe its attack pattern to find out when there is a definite delay, and that's when I attack. Oh, and you should obviously immediately parry in case your strike gets parried or negated in another way (eg. simultaneous strikes).

Edit: One more thing: It's extremely useful to trap enemies in front of walls or cliffs so that they can no longer evade.

Thank you! :D

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok I have a nvidia card but having issues doing this. Anyone care to walk me through it?

Thank you! :D

You've got nHancer installed already, right? Its pretty much the best part of owning an Nvidia card, I forget there's still people using the vastly inferior standard control panel.

Pretty easy from there, just search for Risen's individual profile, then on the right hand side choose the "compatibility" tab and the first option should be AA mode. Choose Vanguard from the drop down list, then go back to Risen's default "enhancements" tab and set your AA level from there.

Its a very easy program to get to grips with, much easier and more comprehensive than Nvidia's standard control panel.

syllogism said:
Did you remap the keys? I recall it plays pretty much like Morrowind once you remap the controls.

Yeah, but unless I'm doing something wrong I can't seem to use the mouse to look around or even click on things in my inventory. I can live without the clicking, but no mouselook and having to use the keyboard to turn around was a pain for me. That, coupled with the weird strafing, made me feel like I had very little positional control over my character. Still excited for Risen, though, as I found the controls in the demo to be very friendly.

syllogism

Moses Donut said:
Yeah, but unless I'm doing something wrong I can't seem to use the mouse to look around or even click on things in my inventory. I can live without the clicking, but no mouselook and having to use the keyboard to turn around was a pain for me. That, coupled with the weird strafing, made me feel like I had very little positional control over my character. Still excited for Risen, though, as I found the controls in the demo to be very friendly.
You are doing something wrong. Not sure about clicking things, but it definitely does have mouselook

Minsc said:
http://www.31012.com/images/LH01.jpg
[IMG]http://www.31012.com/images/LH03.jpg
[IMG]http://www.31012.com/images/Clouds01.jpg
[IMG]http://www.31012.com/images/OblivNE2.jpg
[IMG]http://www.31012.com/images/Clouds02.jpg
This is Oblivion at it's best, and it looks no where near as good.[/QUOTE]

Wich game do you say is better looking ? IMO Risen graphs look real old. But liking it so far.

eXistor

This game is heaven for me, I love exploring the caves and other locales. It's sometimes a bit rough around the edges, but no big faults. Combat is still wonky as shit, but you get used to it. The enemies can be quite brutal though. I tried a bit on easy but didn't notice any difference, so I switched back. I hate how smiths and alchemists are always using their workplaces so you can't reach them, so annoying. Some things could be a bit deeper, but all in all I appreciate the simplicity of the game, gives you more time to focus on exploring and that's definitely the games'strongest point.

I also love the graphics, I think it looks absolutely spectacular. I don't know what some of you don't like about it, it has one of the most lush looking worlds I can remember and the designs are amazing, even caves are bloody spectacular and thats a rarity in rpg's. This is one of those games that manages to suck you into its world and make you forget time altogether.

Definitely one of the best rpg's to come along in a long time, only Demon's Souls is the other truly worthwhile rpg this year.

Just got to the swamp. Good god love the look and feel of this game, though I got ambushed by like 4 damn ratcupines as I like to call them lol.

Wakim

Sweet. Big Gothic fan, and this wasn't even on my radar. I just don't know how involved I want to get with this today with U2 and BL coming out the 13th, and Dragon Age around the corner from that....

NIN90

At which point do I get locked out of the other faction's quests? I'm in the Don's temple (bandits) and I don't know whether or not I should accept his quest (finding some dude in the harbor city)

eXistor

NIN90 said:
At which point do I get locked out of the other faction's quests? I'm in the Don's temple (bandits) and I don't know whether or not I should accept his quest (finding some dude in the harbor city)
It takes a while.
in Harbor City you get to do a ton of quests and you can decide for whom you want to finish them, for the Don or others. I think after you complete 4 quests for one or the other you get accepted in their respected ranks. It's always very clear whom you're doing the quests for it says so in the dialogue options. I wanted to get in with the Don, so I just did those quests and when I reported back I was accepted as one of them.

NIN90

eXistor said:
It takes a while.
in Harbor City you get to do a ton of quests and you can decide for whom you want to finish them, for the Don or others. I think after you complete 4 quests for one or the other you get accepted in their respected ranks. It's always very clear whom you're doing the quests for it says so in the dialogue options. I wanted to get in with the Don, so I just did those quests and when I reported back I was accepted as one of them.

Thanks buddy.

I have some questions :

- I've done quests for the Don, I now I have to go to harbour town. But I'm stuill barefoot an ugly looking. I asked Don about armor but he told me I had to earn it. So how to get an armor without having to wait for Don to give (sell ?) you one ? (I look ugly :D)

- I just encountered 4 or 5 sort of ennemis : wolf, rats, strange insects, worms, a strange man in the swamps... With the hero getting stronger, are they replaced with stronger ones ?

- Where did you all get the great shield with the two swords pictured on it ?

NIN90

JonStark said:
I have some questions :
- I've done quests for the Don, I now I have to go to harbour town. But I'm stuill barefoot an ugly looking. I asked Don about armor but he told me I had to earn it. So how to get an armor without having to wait for Don to give (sell ?) you one ? (I look ugly :D)

Hawkins in the bandits camp sells worker clothes for 500 gold.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Demo impressions:

• Clunky clunky interface
  • Hollow narrative
  • Boring, uninspired combat that feels like a million other games
  • Some really strong environment work and music
  • Choppy performance (and audio stuttering) on a core i7/8800 gtx rig
  • Immersive level of interactivtiy with the environment and ambience.
    ex: Breaking off a tree branch and being able to use it as a club.
  • No real hint that the narrative will open up or become more exciting especially judging from the lack of it in the trailers.
  • encourages you to explore, which l would like if the environments were better laid out.

Overall, after completing the demo, it seems Risen is all about immersion/exploration which I love, but the execution seems to be rather tepid especially considering the lack of a compelling art direction or strong narrative.

Maybe if they improve it down the road and drop the price substantially it will be worth a second look.

JonStark said:
I have some questions :

- I just encountered 4 or 5 sort of ennemis : wolf, rats, strange insects, worms, a strange man in the swamps... With the hero getting stronger, are they replaced with stronger ones ?

- Where did you all get the great shield with the two swords pictured on it ?

- You can steal seaman's clothing from Tristam's farmhouse, or buy worker's clothing from Hawkins in the swamp once you help him out. All I've found so far.

- Nope.

-
When you get to Harbour City, find Weasel and do the mission where you follow Garth.

Durante

eXistor said:
I also love the graphics, I think it looks absolutely spectacular. I don't know what some of you don't like about it, it has one of the most lush looking worlds I can remember and the designs are amazing, even caves are bloody spectacular and thats a rarity in rpg's.
I agree. I simply cannot understand what some people are seeing. (Unless they're playing the 360 version)

syllogism

Choppy performance on that system could be a driver issue as it runs almost flawlessly with almost everything maxed at 1680x1050 on my dated e6600/8800gts

painey

Im in chapter 2, level 10 and the enemies are kicking my arse now. Im desperate to get to the east coast because I hear thats where the 3rd triplet is, the problem is no matter what route I take I end up getting lost, hitting a cliff or in the middle of the map, argh! Anyway I have an NPC companion for the 1st time as part of a quest and I ended up getting lost and I am using him as cheap EXP mining. Stand back, shoot an enemy with an arrow and when they charge at me the NPC gets in a fight, then I smash em from behind and collect exp. nice. :D

BeeDog

I'll revise my question from the previous page, and I hope someone knows the answer since my OCD is hindering me from progressing.

I'm around the end of chapter 1, and when I talk to you-know-who (to start chapter 2), the quest from Fincher where you have to find the "eastern temple" (where you send the triplets) gets cancelled. I tried finding the temple, but the enemies around that general area are incredibly hard. Can someone tell me, sorta like a rough guideline, how to get there please? I need to finish this quest before starting chapter 2.

Ugh, I'm having problems with the demo crashing. I'm on a 9800 GTX+, and it runs really nice highest at 1280x1024, but yeah... :( Game seems pretty interesting so far... I hope it becomes my first loved WRPG.

Dennis

Banned
Ok something amazing and funny happened to me at the monastery.

I had made my way up to the roof of the monastery buildings exploring (see screenshot) when I accidently fell through a chimney down into a fireplace/cauldron killing me instantly.
As I lay dead two eyewitnesses to my folly have the following exchange of words (full voiceover):

Cook Harlok: "Stupidity kills!"

Novice Delmar: "Serves the fool right!"

Cook Harlok: "You gotta laugh - silly fucker"

Novice Delmar: "This is mine!"

...and then the novice precedes to take gold coins off my corpse! :lol :lol :lol

So basically they have recorded voice acting for when you foolishly plunge to your death in sight of witnesses! Wauw!

Dineren

Banned
I had completely forgotten about this game. I played through the demo and thought it was great, runs perfectly on max settings on my pc and the controls were easy enough to get used to. I'm not very good at the combat though, I haven't been able to parry any attacks and it seems like just blocking doesn't actually stop any damage. I'm definitely going to be picking this up soon.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Dineren said:
I had completely forgotten about this game. I played through the demo and thought it was great, runs perfectly on max settings on my pc and the controls were easy enough to get used to. I'm not very good at the combat though, I haven't been able to parry any attacks and it seems like just blocking doesn't actually stop any damage. I'm definitely going to be picking this up soon.

I dont think you can parry Animals,Insects as they are not using weapons, you can block their attacks with a shield.

Its amazing that this game has no loading times apart from when you start, can enter underground tunnels ect with zero loading.

mike0513

Banned
This game looks like the witcher on steroids. And I just found out that with the space bar you can actually jump!!:lol I seriously am 10 hours into the game, and JUST figured that out lol

somesang

This game is stealing all my time, I love it so far.
Running on a AMD 3800+ with 2gigs DDR and a 8600gt with about 20-30 fps at 720p. I'll post screens if anyone is interested to see how it runs on an older spec.

Need some help from someone that's played it for a bit.
Where can I learn to pick locks?

I think Phil from the Don's camp did, but I "accidentally" got him killed. I'm at Harbor Town/City now. I might want to reload an earlier save, but that was hours ago. Should I reload or is there someone else somewhere?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
DennisK4 said:
Ok something amazing and funny happened to me at the monastery.

I had made my way up to the roof of the monastery buildings exploring (see screenshot) when I accidently fell through a chimney down into a fireplace/cauldron killing me instantly.
As I lay dead two eyewitnesses to my folly have the following exchange of words (full voiceover):

Cook Harlok: "Stupidity kills!"

Novice Delmar: "Serves the fool right!"

Cook Harlok: "You gotta laugh - silly fucker"

Novice Delmar: "This is mine!"

...and then the novice precedes to take gold coins off my corpse! :lol :lol :lol

So basically they have recorded voice acting for when you foolishly plunge to your death in sight of witnesses! Wauw!

BWAHAHAHAHA! Had this game not already been totally fucking sold to me, it'd be sold just by the merits of this random event!

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
somesang said:
This game is stealing all my time, I love it so far.
Running on a AMD 3800+ with 2gigs DDR and a 8600gt with about 20-30 fps at 720p. I'll post screens if anyone is interested to see how it runs on an older spec.

Need some help from someone that's played it for a bit.
Where can I learn to pick locks?

I think Phil from the Don's camp did, but I "accidentally" got him killed. I'm at Harbor Town/City now. I might want to reload an earlier save, but that was hours ago. Should I reload or is there someone else somewhere?

Cid will teach you to pick locks if you do the quests for him, he is in harbor town.

Victrix

*beard*
Just so no one else feels as horribly stupid as I just did

Runes that you find or buy let you CAST SPELLS in addition to making scrolls from them

I'd been making scrolls for the last four hours, when I could have been casting spells directly from the runes I had

I really am quite stupid

Now, you can make scrolls from Runes that you don't have the Rune skill level for - eg, Create Skeleton is Rune level 3, but you can make scrolls from it immediately

As for the three main offensive magics:

Fireball does light aoe damage, charges slowly
Magic Bullet has no charge time, is single target, and lets you fire continuous left/right hand shots
Frost bolt charges slightly faster than fireball, and freezes its target

You're probably not going to have the points to invest in all three, so you'll have to pick one or maybe two at the most to raise. Enemies DO have varying resistances to the different elements, so there is some benefit to cross training.

The Rune thing was just... boy. I'm smert.

Some more hilarious reviews:

http://www.wonderwallweb.com/article/801/risen/

http://www.gameon.co.uk/game/review/xbox-360/risen-xbox-360-review

Gaming journalism, etc

Dineren

Banned
Deacan said:
I dont think you can parry Animals,Insects as they are not using weapons, you can block their attacks with a shield.

Its amazing that this game has no loading times apart from when you start, can enter underground tunnels ect with zero loading.
Ah that makes sense, I just assumed you could because the tutorial tip kept popping up. Guess I just need to watch for openings better with them.

Dennis

Banned
This game is shaping up to be a real GOTY contender for me. I am exploring every nook and cranny, finding treasure. Agonizing over which skill to invest precious Learning Points on.

The only other game so far this year to captivate me this completly is ArmA 2. I still haven't played Batman: Arkham Asylum or Uncharted 2, two of the supposedly best games this year.

Metacritic score for PC Risen so far: 81%.....smh

I guess this game is a nightmare for reviewers on a deadline:
Its hard, you die often. Have to pay attention during combat.
It starts slow.
Exploring - the heart of the game - takes a lot of time.
No hand holding - Euro RPG.

Zeliard

Eurogamer reviewing the 360 version and essentially claiming the review is for both the PC and 360 is completely unforgivable. Just moronic.

Top Bottom