• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

Myr

Banned
Loving the PC version. Combat feels a lot better than the 360 one too.

Just joined the Order as a Mage. That section felt really polished. The opening hour is kinda misleading, feels very 'budget title' as opposed to the rest of the game.

I think I regret my choice as a mage. Been focusing too much on melee, and now I have like 50 mana and two shitty rune spells. Been playing for around 11 hours. Should I bother to restart, or just stick with it?

Played the demo last night and....eh I don't think PC-style RPG's are for me...felt kinda "janky" even though the graphics were nice.

Dineren said:
Ah that makes sense, I just assumed you could because the tutorial tip kept popping up. Guess I just need to watch for openings better with them.

Don't you need to invest skill 2 for swords in order to parry?

DennisK4 said:
This game is shaping up to be a real GOTY contender for me. I am exploring every nook and cranny, finding treasure. Agonizing over which skill to invest precious Learning Points on.

The only other game so far this year to captivate me this completly is ArmA 2. I still haven't played Batman: Arkham Asylum or Uncharted 2, two of the supposedly best games this year.

Metacritic score for PC Risen so far: 81%.....smh

I guess this game is a nightmare for reviewers on a deadline:
Its hard, you die often. Have to pay attention during combat.
It starts slow.
Exploring - the heart of the game - takes a lot of time.
No hand holding - Euro RPG.

From reading the reviews...they complain a lot about being too difficult and "no hand holding"
You really need to take your time with this game and that's the problem; reviewers have to play through it quick.

This is my first time playing this sort of game and I am loving it.
There are a few things that I would polish up a bit, but for the most part this is a very good game IMO. And before this game I didn't even like exploration much.

Zeliard

Myr said:
Loving the PC version. Combat feels a lot better than the 360 one too.

Just joined the Order as a Mage. That section felt really polished. The opening hour is kinda misleading, feels very 'budget title' as opposed to the rest of the game.

I think I regret my choice as a mage. Been focusing too much on melee, and now I have like 50 mana and two shitty rune spells. Been playing for around 11 hours. Should I bother to restart, or just stick with it?

I've been considering Mage. Game seems pretty open on the outset. Your first big choice is to either go to Harbour Town or the swamp, but you can also get captured by the Inquisition and taken to some cool-looking temple to be indoctrinated. I did that but then I quick loaded and went to the swamp. :p

Ok I've Don all the Don's quests in Harbor city so I was given the key to leave town through the tunnels and go meet the Don. BUT WHERE THE HELL IS THIS GUYS HOUSE AT? I've looks everywhere and I don't see anything in the quest info saying where he is. Help please!

Durante

somesang said:
Need some help from someone that's played it for a bit.
Where can I learn to pick locks?

I think Phil from the Don's camp did, but I "accidentally" got him killed. I'm at Harbor Town/City now. I might want to reload an earlier save, but that was hours ago. Should I reload or is there someone else somewhere?
The smith at Don's camp also teaches lockpicking.

My Risen FRAPS scores;

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955
Graphics Card: Diamond 4890 XOC

All performance settings are maxed.

1360x768p average 53fps

375390388.jpg

1680x1050p average 47fps

375390396.jpg

1920x1200p average 43fps

375390409.jpg

Cat in the Hat said:
Ok I've Don all the Don's quests in Harbor city so I was given the key to leave town through the tunnels and go meet the Don. BUT WHERE THE HELL IS THIS GUYS HOUSE AT? I've looks everywhere and I don't see anything in the quest info saying where he is. Help please!

Please spoiler tag next time.

Durante

Weather and time of day are really implemented amazingly well in this game - in terms of lighting, sound, and even foliage animation. The swamp feels like a completely different place on a sunny noon compared to an evening storm. Very impressive.

Zeliard

The lighting in the game is goddamn gorgeous as fuck. Particularly impressive considering how big the environments are.

Durante

I just read on a German forum that the game has a "retro mode" for quests.

If you set
RetroQuestMessageSystem="true"
in the ConfixDefault.xml file the quest map will be disabled, and you won't get a quest descritption but just a journal entry. You can also disable the "found x of y thingamajings" messages.

I think it's pretty awesome of the developers to include these options (even though I only use the message suppression one).

Blizzard

Banned
NIN90 said:
Love the effect when lightning strucks. :)
You keep saying "lightning strucks" but I don't see any lightning, or any lightning striking. Do you mean lighting? The rays look nice. :)

NIN90

Blizzard said:
You keep saying "lightning strucks" but I don't see any lightning, or any lightning striking. Do you mean lighting? The rays look nice. :)

Oh, well maybe it's because English isn't my first language.
Maybe this will do the trick:

When this happens (offscreen in the pic above) :
lightning-gallery-18.jpg

everything gets bright and looks awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
NIN90 said:
Oh, well maybe it's because English isn't my first language.
Maybe this will do the trick:
Oh, so you did mean "when lightning strikes". Sorry...that picture looked like daylight to me, so I did not realize that it was just the flash from lightning. :p Sunrays seem odd for lightning, but I guess it looks neat when it happens suddenly.

Victrix

*beard*
The lighting in this game is amazing, and not just the sunrays that people keep posting. I just finished an hour long trek out onto a peninsula at night, with really moody pale blue black lighting over everything, all lit by a flickering torch that had soft light streak behind it when the moon shone through it.

Dungeons are similarly great looking, and fun to scour.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, it's nice when you get to a point where the critters are no longer a major threat and you can itch your exploration urges more thoroughly... then you run into a real nasty like an ogre and get pumped again :lol

Durante

Blizzard said:
Oh, so you did mean "when lightning strikes". Sorry...that picture looked like daylight to me, so I did not realize that it was just the flash from lightning. :p Sunrays seem odd for lightning, but I guess it looks neat when it happens suddenly.
Yeah, the lightning effect is really amazing but basically impossible to capture in screenshots. Perhaps I'll try (in best GAF tradition) to make an animated gif the next time I see a storm.

If anyone is wanting to maybe use the program XPadder to map their keyboard/mouse layout to a 360 pad here is a pre-set layout I've made,works pretty well. As always you might wanna do abit of adjusting to fit your tastes.
Oh and here is where to get XPadder,its free to use.
http://www.xpadder.com/

Hmm. Apparently the author of the program is now billing for the latest version. Google XPadder and you easily find earlier versions for free.:D

Here is my layout.

Game: (KEYBOARD) (360 PAD)

Move Forward = W on keyboard / 360 Left Analog Up
Move Backwards = S on keyboard / 360 Left Analog Down
Move Right = A on keyboard / 360 Left Analog Right
Move Left = D on keyboard / 360 Left Analog Left

JUMP = SPACEBAR / 360 A BUTTON
SNEAK = T /360 B BUTTON
TURN LEFT =Q /360 RIGHT ANALOG (LEFT)
TURN RIGHT =E / 360 RIGHT ANALOG (RIGHT)
LOOK UP =R / 360 RIGHT ANALOG (UP)
LOOK DOWN =F / 360 RIGHT ANALOG (RIGHT)

ZOOM IN = Mouse Wheel Up / 360 RIGHT ANALOG (PRESS IN)
ZOOM OUT = Mouse Wheel Down / 360 D-Pad Right
LOOKING BACK = Z /Not Set (not that important thus far for game.)
WALK = U /Most of the time you find yourself running in the game either exploring or running from beasts,do you really want to walk? Whenever I need to do so I simply draw my weapon,hold the guard button down,your warrior will walk rather than run here.

WEAPONS MODE(DRAW WEAPON) = Middle Mouse Button / 360 LEFT ANALOG PRESS IN)
PRIMARY ACTION = left Mouse Button / 360 RIGHT TRIGGER
SECONDARY ACTION = right mouse button / 360 LEFT TRIGGER

USE 1 (BINDING ITEM TO KEYBOARD) = 1 on keyboard / 360 Y BUTTON
USE 2 (BINDING ITEM #2 TO KEYBOARD) = 2 on keyboard / 360 LEFT BUMPER BUTTON.
USE 3 (BINDING ITEM #3 TO KEYBOARD) = 3 on keyboard / 360 RIGHT BUMPER BUTTON.

Obviously were not able to bind up to 10 items as you can do on a keyboard but I've found that 3 is just enough for me so far. You can constantly keep reassigning different items you feel are more important to your 3 binding options.

Ofcourse you do have a few more movement settings left over to use once you've assigned 8way D-Pad movement on your 360 pad,but for me it gets really confusing and besides pressing diagonals on a 360 pad is a nightmare due to the 360 having a shit D-pad in the first place:b

SHOW QUICKBAR (B button on keyboard) / 360 DIAGONAL DOWN LEFT
**NOTE** Must change XPadder's D-Pad setting to D-Pad 8
way movement for diagonal buttons commands to work.

INVENTORY (I button on keyboard) / 360 SELECT BUTTON
MAP (M button on keyboard) / 360 START BUTTON
JOURNAL (L button on keyboard) / 360 D-PAD DOWN
EQUIPMENT (C button on keyboard) / 360 X BUTTON
BACK (Escape on keyboard) / 360 D-PAD LEFT
QUICK SAVE (F8 on keyboard) / 360D-PAD UP

Hope that helps some out that want to play with a 360 pad instead. I know that I'm of the type that just cannot use a k/m set up to save my life,I assume others might feel the same.

Dennis

Banned

I love how how the deep forested areas actually feel deep and dense.
You walk through enjoying the scenery, picking up plants and mushrooms and then suddenly....

DennisK4 said:
Oblivion looks way better than Risen? Ok maybe you are not trolling you really do have some vision problems...

Unmodded Oblivion looks better than this ?

Oblivion looked much better:

oblivion004.jpg

Yasae

Banned
tehvampire said:
Oblivion looked much better:
Obviously it didn't.

I played the demo and was pleasantly surprised. The graphics are nice, the VO above average, and the design intricate. I had to take the shadows down to low, but the game still looks acceptable (that's a common setting I have to take down on most titles, so I'm not surprised what with my aging rig and all.)

The combat's alright. I don't like how the game forces enemies to have an obvious AI. Really, is a vulture going to dodge my three attacks so deftly? It's not that an animal wouldn't have self-defense or that I went charging blindly into battle with no regard for blocking (I didn't), it's that you can see the mechanics working - blindingly so - and the immersion is gone. It gets REALLY arcadey and unrealistic, and my short recollection of Gothic 3 comes rushing back. I didn't like the very short time I spent with that game.

However, the presentation is much nicer than I thought it would be. I can't justify spending fifty bucks on Risen; there's just not enough there to convince me, but a weekend special or price drop down the road could do it.

dionysus

Yaldog
Is there a way to keep the golden sword or do you have to give it up to meet with the Don?

And I am really glad I can run this game on fully maxed settings. at a frame rate of 50.

Durante

Oblivion doesn't even have any environment shadows. Seriously, no one who actually played both games (on PC) could claim that Oblivion looks better. Oblivion's environments look at their best in screenshots, those in Risen really come alive when you play the game because of the dynamic lighting.

44dac24983.jpg

Pimpbaa

Damnit, I hate you guys. I was resisting buying this because I got so much shit to buy this month. But with all the pictures and positive comments, I had to get it. Downloading it on steam now :(

Crye

I was going to wait a few months but game game seems to be for the most part in good shape :eek: Will bite at first good deal. (pc)

Didn't know Andy Serkis and John Rhys are voice actors! Andy was stunning in Heavenly Sword. Found a vid of them talking to the xbox magazine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93uTElUQaUQ (Unfortunately spoilers I think, they talk about some npc's allegiances)

Do the game environments open up later in the game? Not a huge issue and there is merit to more structured environments but, coming from Gothic 3 where there was a lot of freedom, I'm not too keen on being hemmed in-between cliff walls all the time.

Btw the moderators on the official forums are stating that there is a patch coming for the 360 version but they aren't giving any details at all. (edit: except that it will sort out the night being too dark problem)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fuck it.
Amazon's got this for $39.99, BEFORE my ECA discount.
Seems like they're a bit backordered now, so it won't ship for at least another week.
But I ordered this, and preordered Fallout 3 GotY (PC) + Dragon Age Origins CE (PC), for like $115 shipped.

Edit - Actually, that seems kind of low for all three, doesn't it?
*shrugs*

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mejilan said:
Fuck it.
Amazon's got this for $39.99, BEFORE my ECA discount.
Seems like they're a bit backordered now, so it won't ship for at least another week.
But I ordered this, and preordered Fallout 3 GotY (PC) + Dragon Age Origins CE (PC), for like $115 shipped.

Edit - Actually, that seems kind of low for all three, doesn't it?
*shrugs*
Nah, that's what you get for PC gaming.

Plus a ton of mods and hopefully free DLC down the line.

Really tempted to pick this game up, but I just got ODST, Majesty 2, and with Borderlands coming after that, there's no room for an RPG. This is the kind of stuff I would of spend summer playing. Guh.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yasae said:
Obviously it didn't.

I played the demo and was pleasantly surprised. The graphics are nice, the VO above average, and the design intricate. I had to take the shadows down to low, but the game still looks acceptable (that's a common setting I have to take down on most titles, so I'm not surprised what with my aging rig and all.)

The combat's alright. I don't like how the game forces enemies to have an obvious AI. Really, is a vulture going to dodge my three attacks so deftly? It's not that an animal wouldn't have self-defense or that I went charging blindly into battle with no regard for blocking (I didn't), it's that you can see the mechanics working - blindingly so - and the immersion is gone. It gets REALLY arcadey and unrealistic, and my short recollection of Gothic 3 comes rushing back. I didn't like the very short time I spent with that game.

However, the presentation is much nicer than I thought it would be. I can't justify spending fifty bucks on Risen; there's just not enough there to convince me, but a weekend special or price drop down the road could do it.

Most rpgs are arcadey and unrealistic in battle. It like complaining that everyone is standing in a line in a TBRPG.

Zeliard

Another impressive thing about this game is the use of colors, not just as far as the visuals, but also when it comes to showing you items you can pick up or use or certain directions to go. There's rarely any point where I see something on the ground and I'm unsure if I can pick it up or not, and that's from a distance, before the item text even shows up. The signposting is damn near flawless, which is really impressive for an open-world game.

dollartaco said:
It's very fun. Question about the Don/swamp initial questline.

So, you have to find a way to get the Don's wife to give you clearance to see him. But in order to do so, it seems like the only way is to fight the leader of the fighters (forget his name). Are there ways of getting into the Don that don't involve an arena fight? Even if I just want to do the golden blade quest, I still need his sword fragment. Didn't have pickpocket at the time--does that work? The reason I ask is because he was fucking impossible to defeat.
yeah, pickpocket works fine. you might need level 2 for brogar. you can learn thief skills from uh who was it again, phil?

Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, pickpocket works fine. you might need level 2 for brogar. you can learn thief skills from uh who was it again, phil?
Yeah Phil teaches that, or you can fight Bro in the arena and take his sword shard.

DarK SouL

Ack! I am stuck!

Monastery Spoiler! (the library)

In the library after opening the secret door and testing all the powers (open lock, levitate, transform, and telekinesis), in that room there's a red glowing force field, how do I take it down?

I need to complete the last mission from Vitus, "Seek Trust and Wisdom in Combat", I found "Wisdom in Combat" but what the hell is "seek trust"? is that another book? Anyway, I am assuming whatever it is is inside that room because that is the only place I haven't been able to enter...

Can someone help? :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Victrix said:
I've found two halves of two different legendary swords :(

Heh ditto. "Stormwind" and "Soul Drinker".

I think I'm spending a bit too much time wandering about, I'm still on chapter one and I'm level 15.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried a tiny bit of the demo. Is the game supposed to have a black screen for like 15 seconds before the game menu comes up, or does my computer (e8400, ATI 4850, Windows 7 64-bit RC) not work with an intro movie for some reason?

Impressions from the very start portion: No vsync lock option, no mouse sensitivity option? I'm not sure if the mouse speed will get annoying. Why on earth would they not let you adjust it? Is there a config file you can edit to do it?

At least there are lots of little text overlays, otherwise the loot on the ground and in the water seems like it'd be impossible to see.

The reaaaally floaty jump is kind of funny, and I can see that if I play the game I will be hitting it CONSTANTLY since it seems to make your movement speed a bit faster especially through water.

Oh, and no windowed option? Or is that another thing I'd have to enable through the config file?

Gaaraa

Dark soul:

1. Come back later you will get something later that will break the barrier
2. The guy with the pigs can help on the trust bit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I made Soul Drinker and it was pretty weak by the time I finished it. It was a two-handed sword with 75 attack I think. I forgot the strength requirement. I don't think it had any special attributes and I was already using an axe with 96 attack so I didn't equip it other than to check out its appearance.

I found one half of Stormwind
in a treasure chest located in the far northwest portion of the west coast.
Does anyone know where the other half is?

Zeliard

Blizzard said:
At least there are lots of little text overlays, otherwise the loot on the ground and in the water seems like it'd be impossible to see.

I don't know if it's any different in the demo, but loot is pretty obvious in the full version. You generally know what you can pick up and what is static before seeing the text overlays. That's been my experience, at least.

And use D3DOverrider to force vysnc + triple buffering.

Top Bottom