• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords - 11-minute guided tour into the action RPG

-SD-

Banned
This is a very well made piece of narrated marketing material. Made me rethink my relationship with Risen 3. Now it looks like an actually attractive buy. Nice one, Deep Silver.

EDIT: Publisher Deep Silver's live gameplay session: http://www.twitch.tv/deepsilver/b/552862089?t=8m8s

High-quality stream and download:

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_risen_3_titan_lords_back_to_the_roots-32643_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/download_risen_3_titan_lords_back_to_the_roots-32643_en.html

Risen 3 - Back to The Roots Feature [US]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvXyKUx8y4
video said:
Risen 3 is made for players looking for classic RPG experience. For players that harken back to the days and nights when games refused to hold their hand and left their path and destiny up to them. It's a game driven by these fans and built around their feedback.

Risen 3 = large handcrafted world with emphasis on exploration, and with Risen 1 and Gothic series used as the quideline. Last game in the Risen series, by the way.

http://risen3.deepsilver.com/?q=en

Releases August 15th for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360: http://store.steampowered.com/app/249230/

Developer walkthroughs (Let's Play with Piranha Bytes). These are in German.

Played as Demon Hunter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJ8FHyPYEM
Played as Mage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJvEFvQWLJY

Publisher Deep Silver will be doing Twitch play sessions with Risen 3 starting next week: http://www.twitch.tv/deepsilver

ph00p

Banned
I really enjoy being quided.

On a serious note, from how bad the last 2 games have been they need to make up some serious ground here to get sales. I really loved Gothic 1 and 2 but Risen was a game out of it's time.

-SD-

Banned
from how bad the last 2 games have been they need to make up some serious ground here to get sales. I really loved Gothic 1 and 2 but Risen was a game out of it's time.
Risen 1 is great. Seriously. Every RPG-fan should play it. On PC, of course.

Risen 2, with its not-so-handcrafted world is mostly dull and uninspired, but not a terrible game, in all honesty. Nevertheless, unlike with Gothic 1-3 and Risen, I don't have any urge to play through Risen 2 again. Once was enough.

MayMay

Banned
Sigh.. I wish they'd just take the old Gothic formula (Gothic 2), and give it a new coat of paint. They cant call it Gothic, but they could call it something else.
I feel like they tried that with Risen and it just failed miserably.. ._. Gothic 1 and 2 are my favourite RPGs.

Gonna watch the video now, let's see if they can win me over for Risen 3. I actually know the dev studio (it's not far from here) - and one of the concept artists from there is going to give me drawing lessons soon-ish (I'm studying Game Art) lol

syko de4d

Less then a month till Risen3. I bet i will have 30-60hours of great fun with it :). I hope after Risen3 they go back to Gothic and get a new engine. I believe Risen3 is still the same engine as Gothic3 used x.X

edit:
Sigh.. I wish they'd just take the old Gothic formula (Gothic 2), and give it a new coat of paint. They cant call it Gothic, but they could call it something else.
I feel like they tried that with Risen and it just failed miserably.. ._. Gothic 1 and 2 are my favourite RPGs.

Risen 3 has the 3 guild system back, so is something back from G1/2. And PB got the Gothic license back, or? Next game could be a new Gothic.

MayMay

Banned
Less then a month till Risen3. I bet i will have 30-60hours of great fun with it :). I hope after Risen3 they go back to Gothic and get a new engine. I believe Risen3 is still the same engine as Gothic3 used x.X

edit:

Risen 3 has the 3 guild system back, so is something back from G1/2. And PB got the Gothic license back, or? Next game could be a new Gothic.

Hmm.. I actually didnt know - but a quick google search made it seem like they did. Damn. A new Gothic by PB would be amazing, as long as its not like Gothic 3. Didnt like that one.

UNCyrus

FYI, we'll be doing Twitch play sessions with Risen 3 starting next week. Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to specifically cover in them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
On a serious note, from how bad the last 2 games have been they need to make up some serious ground here to get sales. I really loved Gothic 1 and 2 but Risen was a game out of it's time.

Risen 1 was genuinely fantastic. Risen 2 was a piece of flaming dog shit though.

FYI, we'll be doing Twitch play sessions with Risen 3 starting next week. Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to specifically cover in them.

Combat! Specially can a skilled player take out enemies higher level then them (the case in Gothic 1, 2 & Risen) or not (Risen 2, Gothic 3).

ph00p

Banned
After watching the video, I'm now excited for the game, $50 is a steep ask I'll put it on my "wait for sales/search the gray market" for it though, I found a key for Risen 1 quite cheap, I hope it's better than I remember.

Labadal

I might pick this up, but not sure if I'll do it on release. Tales of Xillia 2, Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity Beta will have my attention.

-SD-

Banned
I suppose it's this channel? http://www.twitch.tv/deepsilver

If it's the PC version I'd like to see how much object/detail pop-in there is with maximum graphics settings enabled. What is the maximum draw distance and how far the NPCs and animals are drawn before they pop out of view.

I'd also like to know if the world is fully explorable without loading screens. It used to be so in Gothic 1-3 and, for the large part, in Risen. Risen 2 was a step-back due to its islands system and that was in there because of console-made limitations.

Lastly, I'd like to see how NPCs react to your character's presence. Do they glance at you, the stranger, as you walk past for the first time or pause whatever they were doing and give a longer look, or say something, if you do something out of the ordinary and so on. I know they'll react accordingly to weapon being drawn or a building being entered without permission, but that's the usual PB stuff. I want to know if they've made improvements on that front.

All of those are important to me from the immersion stand point.

JohnGrimm

I just hope it runs good. Risen 2 was ran like dog shit.

Edit: This actually looks pretty good. It wasn't even remotely on my radar after slogging through 2, but now? I might pick it up.

garath

The combat looks pretty cool in this one. It's definitely on my radar now. I loved the original Gothic games. Liked Risen 1. Risen 2 was less than great unfortunately.

Some Nobody

There's something...missing about this game. It sounds neat, but visually it's kind of dull to me? I dunno. Might still get it if I can find a sale.

Denton

The world design looks beautiful and fun to explore.
The game looks like Piranha Bytes game to the T.

Which is my only actual criticism...I feel like I played this game five times already (I finished all PB games and liked them all).

Still I will most likely get this soon. I just love that Piranha Bytes exploration.

I hope the visual problems of Risen 2 will not be present. The weird warping foliage, lame LoD issues...this video seemed good in that regard.

haveheart

Banned
The world design looks beautiful and fun to explore.
The game looks like Piranha Bytes game to the T.

Which is my only actual criticism...I feel like I played this game five times already (I finished all PB games and liked them all).

Still I will most likely get this soon. I just love that Piranha Bytes exploration.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

But I think it is a good thing. If it is/feels anything like Gothic 1/2 I want to play it over and over again.

I saw a couple of letsplays so I think they are definitely on the right path. Looks very promising, day 1 for me.

Cannnot wait for the soundtrack btw

Damaniel

Banned
I'll be picking this up at some point. Maybe not day one, but certainly the first time it goes on sale.

I don't know what it is about these Piranha Bytes RPGs (Gothic and Risen) - they scream 'mediocre!' and 'derivative!' from the top of their lungs, but unlike most games in the genre, I've played and enjoyed every single one. I guess they're proof that a game can get away with being a little rough around the edges if the underlying experience itself is solid.

I enjoyed the first Risen, never played the second one due to all the negative press reactions. This looks like it could be some fun though. But seriously, let's talk about the graphics, they look like they're from 2007? I know graphics are not everything but this could probably use some more polish.

haveheart

Banned
Should I wait if it comes out on ps4/Xbone or buy the last gen version? Don't play on PC

I think I remember their console ports were always really really bad.
It will most definitely never come out on PS4/One, PB is a pretty small studio and outsourcing a port is high cost...

Don't think any PB game was very profitable....

Denton

I enjoyed the first Risen, never played the second one due to all the negative press reactions. This looks like it could be some fun though. But seriously, let's talk about the graphics, they look like they're from 2007? I know graphics are not everything but this could probably use some more polish.
Piranhas are like 20 or 30 people studio, plus it is a last gen game. I am sure it will look pretty on pc anyway though. All of their games did.

UNCyrus

Piranhas are like 20 or 30 people studio, plus it is a last gen game. I am sure it will look pretty on pc anyway though. All of their games did.

25 person development house to be exact. They're doing all three SKUs in house this time as well.

Corpekata

Banned
Digging the magic and special abilities. Risen 2 was just way too melee focused and the voodoo just wasn't very fun or practical.

syko de4d

25 person development house to be exact. They're doing all three SKUs in house this time as well.

25 persons only? Crazy, sounds like it doesnt need to sell that much to make profit.

Wonder if they will now license an engine instead of making a own engine for their next game, after Risen3. Witcher engine, UE4 etc. No idea what fits PB the best.

BTW, Gothic1/2 still have a good modding community. The Returning is maybe the biggest one, turns G2 into a 200-300hours rpg with new Quests, items, NPCs etc. and a way harder balance. And everyone who loved Gothic2 should try the Mod Velaya (plays after G2 story), a german mod but i believe there is a version with english text + german voice. Its one of the best SP mods i have ever played :D
And dont forget to fix the fps for g1/2, i think they are locked at 25fps. Replayed both games 2-4months ago and i got pretty motion sick without the fps fix xD
Even G3 is kind of fun with a good amount of mods.

edit: the returning in english guide http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1369134-G2-Returning-in-English

Sacred 3 is looking shameful - but thank the lords that Risen 3 is shaping up. I'm really looking forward to this.

It looks like it will be quite an improvement on Risen 2.

teiresias

I loved the original Risen (having loved Gothic 2), but stayed away from Risen 2 due to impressions. Do I need to know the story to Risen 2 to play the third game?

Looking pretty good - not much seen of the quest structure - but it looked like the usual great Piranha Bytes fair.

Engine looks like a much improved Risen 2 engine - there was a couple of decent vistas shown - but still seems to be lacking the verticality of Risen 1. Though I'm aware that was scaled back to lower memory usage for the console versions.

Combat is looking massively improved from Risen 2 - PB have been playing Dark Souls.

Very excited for the release.

Druz

Hmm.. I actually didnt know - but a quick google search made it seem like they did. Damn. A new Gothic by PB would be amazing, as long as its not like Gothic 3. Didnt like that one.

G3 got released too early because of JoWood, and that's what caused the rift in publisher/developer. G4 came out, but it was developed by a different team -- They haven't been calling it G4 though, they've been calling it Arcana.

JoWood isn't to blame for the crap that was Risen 2 though. I blame the pressure to make a game possible on console and the designers awful obsession with pirates.

Can someone familiar with the lore tell me what happen with R1 and R2 protaganists?

Top Bottom