• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROCK BAND Strat reliability thread - report in here

ThePeter

Slavik81 said:
So you're saying Tre Cool gave you wood?

Tredrums5.jpg
Laughing. Out. Loud.

RPS37

Mo the Hawk said:
Strat works beautifully.

USB hub for the 360 version is garbage, though. For one, the instructions don't tell you that it needs to be plugged in to the USB port on the back of the console. One of my friends already broke one of the ports on the hub by yanking the guitar out of it on accident.

How is a person that uses the USB wi-fi adapter supposed to play the game?

(I guess the obvious answer is "You don't need to be online if you're playing BWT with the hub.")

However, that and the fact it already needs to be plugged into the wall pretty much turns the USB Hub into a "Thanks, but no thanks" extra.

AMUSIX

Two Rock Band set ups, both running the hub through the front ports, no problem. Not sure what this 'only back port' bs is. Maybe a problem with your friend's 360?

Oni Jazar

I'm using the PS3 version and I cannot get the star power to come up consistently. It is a pain in the ass to get it to activate.

1up

robochimp said:
Taking it apart and readjusting the downstrum switch is pretty easy

I did the same thing and it works great now. I recommend doing the downstrum fix from the other page.

Mr Jared

1up said:
I did the same thing and it works great now. I recommend doing the downstrum fix from the other page.

I just tried doing this (my downstrum pretty much quit) but I couldn't get the back off. I took off all the screws on the back and even the front. I also got some goo-gone and took off the sticker ... is there a screw under that? I can't even tell.

Did you all just pry it off? I need to know before I go snap it in half trying:lol

Mr Jared

Jube3 said:
I haven't tried opening it yet but did you take the head off?

The head? As in the thing that you shove onto the top of the guitar to "complete" it? That shouldn't have anything to do with it.. though I did take off some of the screws going up the neck.

M3wThr33

Banned
Everything has been peachy for me since day 1. Manufacturing date of Oct 21 on the PS3.

Although I am going to have to unscrew the head so it'll come off, so I can put it in my suitcase.

Also, the guitar strap sucks. Really abrasive. Are the ones they sell in stores ok?

Uh, that guy up there is full of shit, the USB hub works fine on the front of the 360.

Oni Jazar said:
I'm using the PS3 version and I cannot get the star power to come up consistently. It is a pain in the ass to get it to activate.

Use the select button with your pinky.

DustinC

alkaline black said:
I just tried doing this (my downstrum pretty much quit) but I couldn't get the back off. I took off all the screws on the back and even the front. I also got some goo-gone and took off the sticker ... is there a screw under that? I can't even tell.

Did you all just pry it off? I need to know before I go snap it in half trying:lol

There are two screws underneath the white faceplate, at least on mine there was. I'm curious if that's the case for everyone else.

You can kind of swivel the the white section around to get to them.

Argyle

alkaline black said:

I only had to take the screws off on the back. Four long ones on the neck, two short ones where the body kinda slopes in, and the rest are all the same length. Nothing under the sticker.

This was a PS3 guitar, if you are also opening up a PS3 one be careful of the cable that connects the battery pack to the PCB in the guitar. Make note of the polarity if you're pulling that cable off (it's marked on the PCB - red goes to + of course...)

Mr Jared

DustinC said:
There are two screws underneath the white faceplate, at least on mine there was. I'm curious if that's the case for everyone else.

Yeah, I had to do this and got it fixed. Thanksssss.

RPS37

Sh0k said:
Same here, mine works fine with any one of the front USB ports.

AMUSIX said:
Two Rock Band set ups, both running the hub through the front ports, no problem. Not sure what this 'only back port' bs is. Maybe a problem with your friend's 360?

ascully said:
The hub that came with my 360 version works in the front ports just fine.

AdmiralViscen said:
Uh, that guy up there is full of shit, the USB hub works fine on the front of the 360.

Wow. Still annoyed with the whole 'must-plug-into-wall-also' thing, but seriously...

Has anybody seen report of actual draw of the controllers versus the rating of the 360 USB ports? I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's at least some combination of two (not three) controllers that can run off an unpowered hub connected to one of the 360's ports.

There's also the option of running a short extension from the rear (assuming your port is available) for the ability to quickly plug in three controllers (wireless guitar for the fourth).

Well, my downsturm is now unreliable. This is very annoying indeed. It works but i have to be sure to press it 100% down now. I was trying to FC Roxanne on Expert (for the achievement), but it's just no doable with my guitar now. Time to order the replacement.

Edit: Wow, EA's replacement program is easy and fast, go figure. Replacement guitar ordered (2 day shipping).

StrikerObi said:
Well, my downsturm is now unreliable. This is very annoying indeed. It works but i have to be sure to press it 100% down now. I was trying to FC Roxanne on Expert (for the achievement), but it's just no doable with my guitar now. Time to order the replacement.

Edit: Wow, EA's replacement program is easy and fast, go figure. Replacement guitar ordered (2 day shipping).

A friend of mine was having a serious problem with his downstrum. It stopped working completely on day two. He is getting a replacement from them. In the mean time he opened his Strat up and saw that the connectors for the up/down strum are pieces of shit and the down strum was completely worn and not connecting to the switch when he down strumed. He put a tiny piece of electrical tape folded under the connector. Works great now.

As for my Strat. Work great. 20+ hours in and no problems.

The drum sticks I recieved had no rock band or ludwig logos on them though. Kind of a weird.

Demonracer999 said:
A friend of mine was having a serious problem with his downstrum. It stopped working completely on day two. He is getting a replacement from them. In the mean time he opened his Strat up and saw that the connectors for the up/down strum are pieces of shit and the down strum was completely worn and not connecting to the switch when he down strumed. He put a tiny piece of electrical tape folded under the connector. Works great now.

As for my Strat. Work great. 20+ hours in and no problems.

The drum sticks I recieved had no rock band or ludwig logos on them though. Kind of a weird.

My sticks have logos on them, and my guitar has the start/back buttons labeled.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
so if one was to get this, when would you recommend them getting it after a certain date to make sure they got one that would work all around?

Seth C

The down strum on my guitar has now gone out. The typical, "sometimes it doesn't react and sometimes it double strums" issue. Also, the USB hub has been crap since the start. It shorts out regularly, losing power (green light goes out or flickers).

davepoobond said:
so if one was to get this, when would you recommend them getting it after a certain date to make sure they got one that would work all around?

The way I'd go about recommending it (because I haven't heard of any magic pill versions where the strummers suddenly aren't cheap garbage) is get the 360 version, the wireless les paul from GH3 (or two if possible), skip the USB hub and plug the drums into the front usb with the mic. (then only use the hub if you need the 2nd guitar, or maybe then use the drums in the back USB since that's the one least likely to yank out)

I've had good luck so far with the drums and mic, but the strat is worth ignoring.

bigswords

davepoobond said:

Confirmed! Rock band is the new xbox 360!

Jube3

bigswords said:
But honestly you can use GH3 wireless guitar with rock band at least right? Or do you need to use the wired guitar?

On the 360 both gh2 and 3 guitars work with RB.

robochimp

DustinC said:

On mine there were just 15 or so screws on the back I had to take off

DustinC

davepoobond said:

I'd honestly give it a week and see how these replacement guitars turn out for people. Two days or so isn't too bad to wait for a replacement if you need one, but if it ends up crapping out on you in three days again it won't be much of a solution.

datamage

Picked up RB last night. The guitar seems to be okay. One thing though, overdrive seems flaky on it. Sometimes it won't activate, and sometimes it activates with me rarely moving the guitar. (and there are times when it's normal)

The drums work fine, but the yellow one looks like this;

rb-drums.jpg

It registers everything perfectly so far, but should I be worried about it? I'm almost tempted to get a replacement for both pieces of equipment. Hrm.

BigFwoosh

Well, since the other day when I said my Strat had been working fine, it has almost completely stopped registering my downstrums. Upstrums don't seem to be a problem, but the weird thing is that throughout the weekend it's been in this weird cycle:

1. Downstrum stops working.
2. Downstrum works again a little.
3. Upstrum barely works, downstrum is back to normal.
4. Upstrum works fine again, no downstrum at all.

I opened it up the other day and didn't see any problem with the contacts, so I guess I'm just going to send it back and get a replacement. I don't get why the problem isn't consistent, but I don't really care at this point... I just want a guitar that lasts more than a couple days.

Kintaco

BigFwoosh said:
Well, since the other day when I said my Strat had been working fine, it has almost completely stopped registering my downstrums. Upstrums don't seem to be a problem, but the weird thing is that throughout the weekend it's been in this weird cycle:

1. Downstrum stops working.
2. Downstrum works again a little.
3. Upstrum barely works, downstrum is back to normal.
4. Upstrum works fine again, no downstrum at all.

I opened it up the other day and didn't see any problem with the contacts, so I guess I'm just going to send it back and get a replacement. I don't get why the problem isn't consistent, but I don't really care at this point... I just want a guitar that lasts more than a couple days.
I've had this same problem over the weekend. Every time we switched instruments we would be asking "do we upstrum or downstrum?" It was pretty funny actually, good thing for the 2 day replacements.

lorddct

My Rock Band Strat downstrum just died. Can anyone tell me where to go to start the replacement process? I seem to misplaced the box with the information.

Thanks

My guitar also has a busted downstrum. Getting the express replacement. According the tracking number they gave me the billing info has been received so I'll find out on Tuesday if they send me a guitar that actually isn't defective. If it works, I admit I'm impressed by their replacement plan.

birdman

datamage said:
So why must replacements be acquired from EA? What if I feel like going to Best Buy and exchanging my purchase?

EA probably takes a lesser hit if you get your replacement from them, rather than replace the whole Rock Band bundle at Best Buy.

lorddct

Thanks for the site, lets see how this express replacement will work. I just hope I don't need to do it a second time if this replacement breaks as well :(

ascully

I hope they can sort us out with working hardware before the 60 day warranty expires. I don't know what they will expect us to do after that, probably pay for a repair.

Top Bottom