• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockman/Mega Man 25th Anniversary Thread

Fuck the haters, Mega Man 8 was awesome. And yes, the soundtrack was nuts.

But even Mega Man 8 isn't as glorious as Rockman & Forte. Which has an even better soundtrack and is tough as shit. And Forte is awesome. But don't play it on GBA, because that version sucks.

Let's be friends. :)

MM 8 soundtrack is amazing, regardless of whether people dug the graphics or not. Personally I love them, but I can see why some people don't.

Also I've been playing X4 recently, and speaking of awesome music, this rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_u7dh_CQug&sns=em

Ifrit

Agreed. Perhaps it's not as memorable as most of the other Classic soundtracks, but it makes up for a lack of notability with its own unique qualities.

Agreed, the soundtrack maybe a little bit different from the other games but I really like it

MM 8 soundtrack is amazing, regardless of whether people dug the graphics or not. Personally I love them, but I can see why some people don't.

MMX4, along with MMX1 (and I'll throw MMX2 in there too) are pretty much the perfect MMX games, they're just godly in every way

My favorite MM8 song is from Frostman's world. Calm, icy, kind of emotional and has a really good melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6T9TN-bCO4

Didn't the Saturn game have a different song for one of the levels from the Playstation version?

Tizoc

I like Rockman 8 too =3
Stage select theme is among my fav. in the series.
...there needs to be a port of Rockman 8 to PSN and XBLA that has the best of both PSX and Saturn versions @_@

529418_340296992711215_1614249348_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/notes/1000...-japan-expo-and-keiji-inafune/340292932711621

Well now.

Agreed, the soundtrack maybe a little bit different from the other games but I really like it

MMX4, along with MMX1 (and I'll throw MMX2 in there too) are pretty much the perfect MMX games, they're just godly in every way

Yup! Amazing games.

My favorite MM8 song is from Frostman's world. Calm, icy, kind of emotional and has a really good melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6T9TN-bCO4

Didn't the Saturn game have a different song for one of the levels from the Playstation version?

My man. That's my favorite song too.

And I think you're right about the music. Saturn version also had Cut Man and Wood Man.

goldenpp72

Huge Megaman fan here, I've pretty much played every single one of them aside some of the network series (got a bit bored of them after a few). I'd just like to join the few who agree X4 and megaman 8 are great games, X4 is actually my personal favorite MM title and in turn, one of the best games of all time for me (using zero). I'd say I rank the X series like this.

Megaman X4
Megaman X1
Megaman X2
Megaman X3
Megaman X5
Megaman X8
Megaman X6
Megaman X7

X6 and 7 are only there because they exist, 6 is tolerable at times but 7, yeesh.

For the OG series it's much harder so i'm not totally confident in my ranking, but I think I'd go..

Megaman 3
Megaman 8 (yeah fuck you)
Megaman & Bass (though I only played the gba game so far, so i'm sorta ranking this based on how I assume the full snes version was)
Megaman 5
Megaman 6
Megaman 7
Megaman 2
Megaman 4
Megaman 9
Megaman 10
Megaman 1

I think a lot of people put 2 highest because for many it was their first (or MM1 was and that game is pretty bleh by todays standards). Mind you 2 has a ton worth loving about it, but I think a lot of the MM series gets hit for lack of originality rather than what is simply the best, could be wrong though.

Legends and Zero series are pretty easy to rank but I think most agree on those, such a great series I hope returns. Actually come to think of it, I haven't beaten megaman ZX or its sequel, I remember loving the first but HATING the map system, any good way around that?

Ifrit

In the perfect world, we'd have an HD collection of the classic, X series and hell even the Zero series offering the option of playing the games in their original form, widescreen original mode ( this might mess with some of the secrets in the X games) and HD sprites mode for the people who like them (since it can be hit or miss), same with the soundtrack

In the perfect world, we'd have an HD collection of the classic, X series and hell even the Zero series offering the option of playing the games in their original form, widescreen original mode ( this might mess with some of the secrets in the X games) and HD sprites mode for the people who like them (since it can be hit or miss), same with the soundtrack

I've often wondered (hoping against hope) if Capcom would ever release a HD compilation of classic or the X series. But logically I don't think it'll ever happen. There's simply not enough MM fans to justify it. Which for the hardcore fans, is a travesty.

I would love to be surprised though.

Ifrit

all these mega man 8 bros in here... id never thought id see the day

This, 8 normally get a lot of hate around here, the love seems to be redirected somewhat wrongly at 5 for some reason

*activates leaf shield*

I've often wondered (hoping against hope) if Capcom would ever release a HD compilation of classic or the X series. But logically I don't think it'll ever happen. There's simply not enough MM fans to justify it. Which for the hardcore fans, is a travesty.

I would love to be surprised though.

I'd be hella happy if they hire the guy behind the Sonic CD port for this

bumpkin

I'd be happy just getting Maverick Hunter X2 and Mega Man 2 Powered Up. Alas, I'll never be happy. :(

This, 8 normally get a lot of hate around here, the love seems to be redirected somewhat wrongly at 5 for some reason

*activates leaf shield*

I'd be hella happy if they hire the guy behind the Sonic CD port for this

Yeah, I don't get the love for 5. That's my second least favorite in the original series, right behind 8. It felt like they were aiming it more towards little kids with the graphics and the difficulty.

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me considering the Famicom by that point might have been seen as the 'little brother' system once the Super Famicom came out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But even Mega Man 8 isn't as glorious as Rockman & Forte. Which has an even better soundtrack and is tough as shit. And Forte is awesome. But don't play it on GBA, because that version sucks.
The GBA version isn't bad. I have the SFC and GBA versions of the game and, really, they are remarkably similar. The GBA game requires a bit of extra scrolling due to the lower resolution but nothing game breaking.

Why would they release an "HD" compilation? The games are not HD and the port would only serve to upscale the visuals.

What I'd rather see is a continuation of what they started with Irregular Hunter X and Rockman Rockman on PSP. Now THAT was how you get it done.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The GBA version isn't bad. I have the SFC and GBA versions of the game and, really, they are remarkably similar. The GBA game requires a bit of extra scrolling due to the lower resolution but nothing game breaking.

Perhaps sucks was too strong of a word, but I wasn't a fan of the GBA version. The graphics took a definite hit even if you're looking past the lower resolution, and the music was butchered. Really a shame. But then again, I did play the GBA version all the way through, so it couldn't have been that bad...

Anyway, the people who were saying Frost Man's stage had the best music were right. It's so, so good.

Rockman & Forte had some sick tunes, too. A few faves for me:

Ground Man's Stage (which is like... an oddly dark sounding song for a Mega Mayng game)

Cold Man's Stage (which sounds like something from a sweet 90's anime set that'd be set in a city at night.)

Tengu Man's Stage (which is just fuckin' sweet)

Ifrit

Why would they release an "HD" compilation? The games are not HD and the port would only serve to upscale the visuals.

What I'd rather see is a continuation of what they started with Irregular Hunter X and Rockman Rockman on PSP. Now THAT was how you get it done.

Sonic CD wasn't originally widescreen nor 60 fps you know

But yeah, a continuation of the PSP games would be fucking sweet

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Perhaps sucks was too strong of a word, but I wasn't a fan of the GBA version. The graphics took a definite hit even if you're looking past the lower resolution, and the music was butchered. Really a shame. But then again, I did play the GBA version all the way through, so it couldn't have been that bad...

Anyway, the people who were saying Frost Man's stage had the best music were right. It's so, so good.

Ground Man's Stage (which is like... an oddly dark sounding song for a Mega Mayng game)

Cold Man's Stage (which sounds like something from a sweet 90's anime set that'd be set in a city at night.)

Well, it's just that, in addition to the SFC and GBA version, I also own the WonderSwan version. Now THAT is shit. It's a completely different game, of course, but man does it feel wrong. The stage design, animation, controls, etc bare little in common with proper 2D Rockman.

I couldn't pass it up, though, as someone sold that game plus a black and white Wonderswan (I already owned a Crystal) for like $28.

Sciz

Am I the only one who HATES Burnerman in Rockman & Forte? Seriously he's so fucking random =_=

He's a tricky bastard, but dodging damage isn't too awful once you get used to him. Try a buster duel run sometime, as either character. It'll force you to learn how to deal with their patterns in pretty short order.

HYDE

Banned
I would love another anniversary collection(s) with every single mega man game ever made.

I'd even take a volume 1 and 2 type thing.

Azure J

+1 for the Megaman 8 Appreciation Force here. Although I can understand why some people have apprehension to the game, I really liked it for a few things it tried to do, most notably the gorgeous visual design and the attempts at making more twitch based segments in between the platforming. Also, best Rush Jet sequences in the series by far.

If they could find a good mix between the visual style of 8/MM&Bass, the speed of the other 8 bit games, and the level design of MM2 or 3, that would be the de-facto Megaman game right there and I say that as someone who vastly prefers the X series. Sorry, I just love mobility and flexibility. :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
+1 for the Megaman 8 Appreciation Force here. Although I can understand why some people have apprehension to the game, I really liked it for a few things it tried to do, most notably the gorgeous visual design and the attempts at making more twitch based platforming design. Also, best Rush Jet sequences in the series by far.

If they could find a halfway point between the visual style of 8/MM&Bass, the speed of the other 8 bit games, and the level design of MM2 or 3, that would be the de-facto Megaman game right there and I say that as someone who vastly prefers the X series. Sorry, I just love mobility and flexibility. :p

Honestly, I understand why some people really dislike 8. It plays absolutely nothing like the previous games (well, except 7, which was pretty poor.) If they'd made it a spin-off called like... Mega Man Neo or something, I imagine it wouldn't have gotten quite as much hate.

But yeah, I'm another weirdo who likes the X series way more than classic MM.

Sciz

I really enjoyed MM8. The only MM title in the mainline series I think is lackluster is 6.

I can understand why people rag on 6, as the bosses and master weapons are bland all around. But it also did some great things with level design, and the two suit powers are a blast (and much better than their merged form in MM7).

Azure J

How can you post Rockman & Forte stuff without posting the Opening Stage, Burnerman Stage, Pirateman Stage, Boss Theme, & King Castle Stages? :p

And looking up that last theme made me find the best thing ever, King's Castle in 8 bits.

Yeah, I was about to walk into the theater and didn't post exactly what I meant. I said compilation but really meant remakes. Keep the tight MM gameplay but completely redo the graphics. Think 8 but in HD, widescreen, and do not let excessive animation (no matter how beautiful it looks) affect the gameplay.

However, as much as I'd personally like to see this, it's whatever. As long as I still have access to MM 1-10, and X 1,2, and 4 I'm good.

I'm with you that Maverick Hunter X and MM Powered Up were awesome. A shame they never kept on going.

Hey bad duders: the 15th anniversary of Rockman DASH's release is coming up on December the 18th. I'mma gonna make an anniversary thread for the occasion, since the DASH games are my area of expertise within the Rockman fan community.

all these mega man 8 bros in here... id never thought id see the day

Brother, if it adds to the fire, if it wasn't for Megaman 8, I'd never would have bought a playstation. At that age, I was pro N64 the whole way, until they announced MM8 for everything but that system. It still surprises my friends and colleagues (who bought PSone for Madden, Mortal Kombat, Crash, RE, etc) that I really didn't give a fuck until that game was announced. I try using it as an example of not always looking towards the mainstream (something SCEA had to learn the hard way back in the day).

Also, I like the Archie comics, but boy, they have fucking shit on the Rockman Mega/Gigamix mangas. Ariga (the creator) really gets' the idea of MM .(besides the ignorant views of little robot blows things up) Besides Inafune himself, I don't think we ever find anyone that even comes close...

BTW - this was meant as no disrespect to Saturn fans. Back then, I really didn't dig the system until later in life. To be honest, the game that finally convinced me to get a Saturn was the original House of the Dead. Only problem was that this was way after the game was released in limited quantities. It took a LONG time to get it....

Some comic book news:

Archie issue 19 preview.

1221042_ful.jpeg

(W) Ian Flynn (A) Gary Martin & Various (CA) Chad Thomas & Various ‘Roll With It.’ We all know how big a hero Mega Man is, but the same heroic (robotic) heart beats in his sister Roll as well! A terrible storm puts a cruise ship in danger, and Roll is the first robot on the scene! So move over Mega Man, because the girls have got this one covered! Guest starring Quake Woman and Splash Woman!

gMvuS.jpg

Hey bad duders: the 15th anniversary of Rockman DASH's release is coming up on December the 18th. I'mma gonna make an anniversary thread for the occasion, since the DASH games are my area of expertise within the Rockman fan community.

Hey if you want any artwork for the OT I'd be happy to draw some stuff up. I actually drew a lot of inspiration from the first Legends for one of my student films, particularly the Gesselshaft/flutter designs. If you look closely, I snuck in a Bonne Skull mark at 3:41 :p

But damn, I can't believe it's DASH's 15th anniversary already! Time flies.

Sure thing Swift. Feel free to PM me about that idea. Most of my work will involve finding suitable images for the OT (preferably not watermarked, though non-Legends Station images will be harder to find at the resolutions I'd want), writing up stuff, and thinking of a good tag.

Yeah: time flies, especially if you're a Legends fan like me.

My 5 yr old daughter wanted me to play MM1 today, with her pretending to be the bosses, and me battling through the stages. Good times. Fired it up and beat it all the way through.

Makes me smile she likes the Blue Bomber. :)

25th anniversary delayed till October. You can check the awful covers here: http://www.team-e.co.jp/sp/25th_rockman_arrange/

Info about composers involved:

Rock Arrange:

-Kenji Ito (Mana, SaGa)
-Kazuki Ohta (FFXII, Valkyria Chronicles 3)
-Mitsuhiro Kandea (Odin Sphere, Tekken 6)
-Yoshimi Kudo (Tekken 6), Tetsuro Sato (Psyvariar)
-Hitoshi Sakimoto (Tactics Ogre, Breath of Fire V)
-Hiroshi Tanabe (The Prince of Tennis)
-Azusa Chiba (Let’s TAP)
-Yoshitaka Hirota (Chrono Trigger)
-LivestRow

Techno Arrange:

-Masahiro Iwata (Mushihimesama)
-Mitsuhiro Kaneda
-Yoshimi Kudo
-Hitoshi Sakimoto
-Denji Sano (Love Synthesizer!)
-Yuto Takei (Gran Turismo 5)
-Azusa Chiba
-Takeshi Hama (Devil May Cry)
-Far East Recording
-Shinji Hosoe (Mega Man Network Transmission)

Source: TMMN

jett

D-Member
Played a couple of hours of Mega Man 8 yesterday. The controls still feel sloppy and weird. :/ It's pretty although the colors pop less than those of MM7. I'd much rather play MM9 tbh.

Finally some good news about Mega Man Powered UP, let's hope Sony do the right thing.

Funny you should ask as I just raised this in our digital sales meeting on Monday. I have in my possession, the two rejection letters from SCEE and SCEA about the digital versions of the game Sony made hanging at the title screen on PSP back in some older version of the firmware.

With Vita out and several PSP firmware revisions since then, we're going to reengage with Sony again and see if anything has changed. No promises as it's not in our hands. :/

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29308245/Whats_the_latest_status_on_Mega_Man_Powered_Up_on_PSN

jman2050

Played a couple of hours of Mega Man 8 yesterday. The controls still feel sloppy and weird. :/ It's pretty although the colors pop less than those of MM7. I'd much rather play MM9 tbh.

Find the NES-style remakes someone did of 7 and 8 and realize what we were cheated out of.

Videoneon

MHX was alright, though I loved Day of Sigma. Gameplay and music just weren't as good as the original. Vile's side had some interesting gameplay ideas, you really suck at first but after killing all of the Mavericks it's easy to play as him.
I fucking hate the character though

Powered UP, now it's a shame that never turned into a series. Even just Powered UP2 and UP3. Sooo amazing.

Am I the only one who HATES Burnerman in Rockman & Forte? Seriously he's so fucking random =_=
...but the game has my fav. boss theme in the series-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjAeLHR3XbY

...which reminds me, Rockman.exe 1 has the best boss theme of its series IMO-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eSCR6Ba9Y8&feature=plcp

Rockman and Forte's bosses generally aren't too bad. Stay away from the edges of the arena (you don't want to trap yourself by having him Wave Burner you while you don't have enough distance to wait out his attacks), and keep a decent distance from him while trying to keep him on screen. The shit he does is somewhat randomized, but a lot of the difficulty in avoiding his attacks comes from not knowing where he is. Definitely easier fighting him with Forte, but still manageable with Rock. I do like that game's battle theme.

Also...I vote BN2 for best boss battle theme of the main entries, with BN3 as close second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLj1LhSMbsw&feature=related

awesome remix, though the audio is somewhat lacking

Count me off the MM8 bro train, folks =/. Has some good music though, like Astroman, Aquaman, Searchman, Wily Stage 2.

KSai

I don't like how Maverick Hunter rewrote the first game's story. X went from being the original base robot to a reploid. They destroyed his uniqueness, though I should have seen that coming especially since the PS games started referring to him as just a reploid.

Powered Up was fun.

Mzo

Powered Up is super underappreciated! The worst part is that we're never going to see a Powered Up 2 based on MM2, and that is a fucking criminal offense that needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the jam.

DeVeAn

Huge Mega Man fan myself. I loved MM8 and MM7 too. Don't know why people hate on those. My favorite style is MM7. Looking forward to the crossover comics as Sonic and Mega Man are my favorite game characters. I wished the continued the MHX series on psp. Would be so cookie they re mastered all the old games in HD I would buy them all.

Videoneon

I don't like how Maverick Hunter rewrote the first game's story. X went from being the original base robot to a reploid. They destroyed his uniqueness, though I should have seen that coming especially since the PS games started referring to him as just a reploid.

I should sort of add a qualifier to my post then, because the main reasons I liked Day of Sigma, as unimportant as they may be, were the look of X and Zero in the animation, the exhibition of the voice acting, and the display of effort that Capcom put into adding something beyond just new graphics and music to the game.

The story propositions are highly problematic. Dr. Cain dies before the events of Maverick Hunter X, but Dr. Cain is at least explicitly shown as alive in X2 and X3, and his laboratory created the Repliforce and Doppler. I do believe he rebuilt Zero in X2...so after Zero dies in MHX I hope someone can take care of that.

I also think that retconning of Dr. Light's purpose for sealing away Mega Man X gives the character much less dramatic significance. MHX proposed that humanity was not ready, but I like the idea more that after Dr. Light witnessed all of the robot warring in the Classic series (and knowing he himself would die naturally,) he was compelled to create an entity with perfect moral "aptitude" and autonomy and had to run X through exhaustive scenario testing in order to ensure his moral character.

And like you said, removing X's status as the First Reploid blurs the distinction between the "Reploids" of the X series and the robots of the Classic series, because we have no chronological reference point and concrete trait (besides the idea that X is just better) to understand what changed in the making of robots that made the MHX Reploids an evolution of Classic robots.

Mega Man games aren't really championed for their story, so I just sort of call Day of Sigma non-canon and go home.

On a side note, I thought MM7 had nice music.

Top Bottom