• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Rockstar is confident' GTA VI will run at 60FPS on the PS5

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
1080p 60FPS.
Excited Eddie Murphy GIF by Candy Cane Lane

HL3.exe

Not a chance. Its not a resolution problem, it's a CPU problem. And Rockstar is known for pushing CPU stuff like, collision, npc reactivity, and other gameplay related simulation stuff.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have a feeling that "60 fps" is a checkbox for their marketing team.
Does anyone really want 60 fps if it means 720p?

Last edited:
well it’s not Unreal engine, so maybe. Red Dead 2 was a banger, and the hardware is better now.

Thanks to Capcom and Dragons Dogma 2 for being bold and failing. 30 fps is forever tainted, improving the world for future generations.

Vick

Since that massive leak years ago, the first ever footage of GTA VI we got was a gameplay clip on TikTok leaked a day prior to the Trailer that was running at 1440p at 60fps in Performance Mode.

For some fucked up reason, ever since 90% of GAF either laughs or responds with anger at the simple notion of the game being able to run at 60fps on Console.
Like this leak never happened, and almost like Rockstar never made GTA V on a 360/PS3 or had RDR2 running perfectly on a Xbox One.

Last edited:

jm89

Alot people saying the CPU will be bottlenecked.

Is that a hard blocker? Sureley optimisations can be done to reduce npcs and traffic?

But i suppose it will come down to rockstar and how much they want to compromise to get to 60fps, assuming they even need to compromise as at the moment everyone is assuming it will be bottlenecked by the CPU.

It will be amazing if they can get this to 60fps on base consoles.

And the reason i say that is, i feel like GTA6 with how big its could actually drive devs to push for 60fps for the latter half of the gen and not just settle on 30fps. Questions will start getting asked if rockstar can do it then why can't every other dev?

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
What? And the Sony's official statement that they had opened an investigation into the leaked specs and documents didn't before?
well, I think Sony must've done something in this case because the Tweet was deleted.
It's further evidence that has solidified Pro dev kits being in the hands of top developers.

It's leaking everywhere for Sony, and it should be an interesting few months.
I expect an official announcement at the June state-of-play event.

Bojji

Not a chance. Its not a resolution problem, it's a CPU problem. And Rockstar is known for pushing CPU stuff like, collision, npc reactivity, and other gameplay related simulation stuff.

Depend on how efficient code is. We just have game that kills all cpus and it's looking like PS3 game at times (DD2), yet at the same time we have other open world games that run in 60fps (horizon, spider man, watch dogs legion, ac Valhalla) etc.).

RG was able to pull Rdr2 at 1080p on PS4 and 4k on series x so they know how to code but of course time will tell...

Kacho

Yep. I wouldn't be expecting miracles. Rockstar will be pushing the hardware to its limits like we saw with GTAV on 360/PS3.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Easily the best sequence from the trailer that showed not only the graphical fidelity, but the leap in animation and "character design." Like the beach shot with the wide range of body types and NPC density was great (as was the twerking shot), but there's something about this brief sequence that sold me on this being the generational leap we were hoping for.

. . .just sucks it isn't coming to PC until at least 2026 (really wish journalists would call RS out on this and their bullshit excuse).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe they meant the PS5 Pro.

Unless 60 means no RT. That should be fine for the standard PS5 at 1080p or so. However, if the game is RT only, 60fps is probably only happening on the Pro.

But then why would they say they're confident it will have a 60fps mode on "PS5".

Or all of this is just BS. If the game is as CPU limited as expected it's not gonna be 60 on any console. But maybe it's not.

Unless 60 means no RT. That should be fine for the standard PS5 at 1080p or so. However, if the game is RT only, 60fps is probably only happening on the Pro.

But then why would they say they're confident it will have a 60fps mode on "PS5".

Or all of this is just BS. If the game is as CPU limited as expected it's not gonna be 60 on any console. But maybe it's not.

I have a feeling that "60 fps" is a checkbox for their marketing team.
Does anyone really want 60 fps if it means 720p?
Yes. I actually do. Especially since this means I can go grab a ps5 pro or Xbox pro/whatever and play it at 1440p 60fps. If they aim for 30fps on PS5 the it's very likey that even the ps5 pro will be stuck at 30 fps.

leo-j

a lot of people are also underestimating what they can do with this hardware.... they did what they did with red dead redemption 2 on a ps4... and gta v on a ps3.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alot people saying the CPU will be bottlenecked.

Is that a hard blocker? Sureley optimisations can be done to reduce npcs and traffic?
yes, reducing traffic and NPCs is an obvious one but then you are also reducing all the work artists put into a scene like this. Would the artists be ok with half of the people missing from this scene?

ce66ca25d79f283fd1f0d7b833c90c504888df22.gifv

No one jogging. No dudes tossing each other beers. No one forcing their cuck boyfriends to take insta photos?

What about this gif below? half of the cars missing at what seems like a gang cookout? or half the strip club gone? Or half the biker gang simply MIA?

85b1b1603d9c3de252b1491370414fcb.gif

But yes optimizations come in all shapes and sizes. The Kingdom devs have 4,000 NPCs on screen at once running at 60 fps in coop no less. Their optimization was not to reduce fidelity but to move CPU related tasks to the GPU to free up the CPU to do 60 fps and other stuff without it becoming a bottleneck. This is a small team of a few engineers so if they can do it maybe rockstar can as well. Right now, most games are heavily singlethreaded. So those 8 cores and 16 threads are mostly left unused. If devs can change the way their engines work then we can definitely have GTA6 at 60 fps on base consoles without many sacrifices to NPC fidelity.

battlefieldAztec.gif

ShootingAndStuff.gif

And the reason i say that is, i feel like GTA6 with how big its could actually drive devs to push for 60fps for the latter half of the gen and not just settle on 30fps. Questions will start getting asked if rockstar can do it then why can't every other dev?
Rockstar has 3,000 developers working across 4 different continents and 7 different studios one game at a time for 7 years. Other studios max out at 300-500 devs. Rockstar's programming teams alone are larger than most AAA studios.

Perrott

Gold Member
I mean a source that indicates the lack of a 60fps patch is due to business reasons.
Rockstar ended Red Dead Online support in 2022, meaning that they don't see long-term revenue potential in RDR2 as a whole. As a result of that, they didn't bother in releasing a native PS5 and XSX|S version with 60FPS and RT, which they did with GTA V.

That's the business rationale behind why there's no 60FPS RDR2 on console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom