• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Rockstar so reluctant about PC ?

In an era where IPs that used to be exclusive to one platform are coming to PC, why does it seem like Rockstar is doing everything they can to actually stay away from PC ?

- No next-gen features for GTA V on PC
- No RDR 1 port
- No PC version of GTA VI

What gives ?
They want people to double dip and want the game to have longer legs (as in reporting/buzz). The PC release will hype people up specially with modding RP multiplayer, simply the fact that it's on PC is huge for everything that can be done with the game. Just look at how much money mod makers made off GTA 5 mod patreons.

The game seems to have good RT with RT GI like Avatar on consoles, imagine what they can do on PC which had stronger ray tracing 5 years ago let alone in 2026. A Path Traced version would be huge like Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk.

Deerock71

They don't need to in order to be ridiculously profitable? They can call their own shots and put games where they want to?

amigastar

This Ex-Rockstar employee says it's the different configurations of PC systems. I think they just wanna double-dip.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

In an era where IPs that used to be exclusive to one platform are coming to PC, why does it seem like Rockstar is doing everything they can to actually stay away from PC ?

- No RDR 1 port

What gives ?
I wouldn't say they're reluctant, I just think they know folks will double dip, because they already have. So if people really want something, they'll just buy it again to have it.

This Ex-Rockstar employee says it's the different configurations of PC systems. I think they just wanna double-dip.

PC testing can be a huge pain in the ass because of all the different possible specs. QA can be a nightmare for some devs. It's why so many studios outsource QA, because they either don't have their own QA (not likely) or their QA team is pretty small (very likely). A combination of manual testing and automation can go a long way, but it's always great to have more hands on it. R* definitely has the money to do this hand over fist, so it just sounds like an excuse honestly, lol. Surely it's just wanting people to spend more money and not giving a shit, lol.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
If they really care that much about double dippers they would have released RDR 1 on PC years ago...
It's not that simple, RDR is using an engine that was going through major revision. The code was updated/modified up to the last minute to a point were R* devs were actually surprised that the game ran on anything at all. So a PC port would require the game be built again from scratch, basically.

You can easily find more informations on Google.

This Ex-Rockstar employee says it's the different configurations of PC systems.

That's bullshit, R* is not the only dev to release games on multiple platform. They just like money, and it's fine but they can't say it like that because it's not business friendly.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'd love to see their day one sales if they did release on Steam as well as on console. It would be insane. It still will be, but imagine if it was on all three from the get go. They don't care. The game will have legs for decades.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They want to bait double dippers, simple as

I do think GTA online mods blowing up like they did bothered them, because they couldn’t monetize it and they are extremely popular. The GTA RP stuff was huge with streamers.

Last edited:

Cobaiye

It's not that simple, RDR is using an engine that was going through major revision. The code was updated/modified up to the last minute to a point were R* devs were actually surprised that the game ran on anything at all. So a PC port would require the game be built again from scratch, basically.

Ain't the PS5 and Xbox S/X x86 machines, basically the same as PC ?

I cannot see a PC port being more difficult to achieve than a Switch port...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
GTA is a double dip thing.

I mean “next gen features” on GTA V is quite literally the third console release of the game - and modders have done far more impressive shit with the game than Rockstar.

RDR1 is a puzzler. Who knows? I’m sure we’ll see it at some point as that’s just money left on the table. Meanwhile the best way to play it is probably emulation.

Guilty_AI

If they really care that much about double dippers they would have released RDR 1 on PC years ago...
The rumor was that RDR1 was pretty messy software-wise so they didn't want to bother with a port.

Either way, the reason why they do this is double dipping.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Your thread isn't about Rockstar and PC ports in general, it's about this one game. Let it go.

brb waiting for Bloodborne pc port

Cobaiye

Your thread isn't about Rockstar and PC ports in general, it's about this one game. Let it go.

brb waiting for Bloodborne pc port

It's just the one I find the most puzzling and the most insulting. People might mistake my thread as yet another complain for no GTA VI on PC, but I understand their strategy as they've used it for years. Still, anti-consumer as fuck.

No next-gen features on GTA V PC is also super weird as I'm sure it could be done super easily.

bitbydeath

Triple dippers, by showing improvements with every release to entice gamers to keep buying.

Current Gen > Next-Gen Remaster > PC

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yes, piracy, but also the headache. 2 or 3 fixed platforms vs 1,000,000,000 configurations to code for and support.

Buggy Loop

Triple dippers, by showing improvements with every release to entice gamers to keep buying.

Current Gen > Next-Gen Remaster > PC

GTA V went through PS3 → PS4 → PS5 to catch up to PC

The work they put on PC version does require more time

Reminder :

XSywyu7.png

g9Wtm0N.png

4u1S6hi.png

I prefer a feature rich PC port that flexes hardware with a variety of settings than just a straight port.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's just the one I find the most puzzling and the most insulting. People might mistake my thread as yet another complain for no GTA VI on PC, but I understand their strategy as they've used it for years. Still, anti-consumer as fuck.

No next-gen features on GTA V PC is also super weird as I'm sure it could be done super easily.
I don't disagree, but knows why it wasn't ported.

Who confirmed no next-gen features on PC? That random ex-employee or Rockstar themselves? I can all but guarantee that GTA6 is not going to have any less features than consoles when it gets its own time in the oven after the console launch.

Cobaiye

I don't disagree, but knows why it wasn't ported.

Who confirmed no next-gen features on PC? That random ex-employee or Rockstar themselves? I can all but guarantee that GTA6 is not going to have any less features than consoles when it gets its own time in the oven after the console launch.

I was talking about GTA V, the next-gen features they've added on consoles didn't make it to PC.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PC will take away a lot of resources in testing dozens of different configurations. I cant believe anyone would want day 1 PC ports after the disastrous year we have had in PC gaming with literally broken games, awful performance, and simply unacceptable patching.

FF16, Spiderman 2, Zelda are the three most polished games ive played this year. All console exclusives. MS did day one PC and fucked up nearly everything other than hifirush. RDR2 was melting PCs back when it came out but only because Rockstar pushes these PCs to the max. They did it with GTA4 which ran WORSE than Crysis on my PC. But they let me push draw distance among other settings that i simply couldnt push on consoles or in other PC ports. RDR2 still stuns on PC because of their efforts prioritizing the PC port.

Getting a polished 30 fps PS5 version is beneficial for everyone. That means the game is designed around 30 fps so designers and directors actually play that version instead of some fancy PC verison running at 120 fps. They get a feel for it and then make changes accordingly. There is a reason why FF16, Zellda and Spiderman 2 feel so smooth in the 30 fps mode.

This is a good thing for everyone.

WitchHunter

Banned

- No RDR 1 port

What gives ?
It's a secret pact between them and console makers.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I was talking about GTA V, the next-gen features they've added on consoles didn't make it to PC.
My mistake - misread. What next-gen features would you want them to go back and add to GTA5? Bare in mind it's a 2015 port and at release we didn't have DirectDrive and RT everywhere.

Shut0wen

Not that big of a market compared to console though, rockstar know every fucker that plays nothing but sports games and children buy gta because apparently its hip and trendy

Mr Hyde

I can understand the double dip mentality on their newer games, but old games like RDR? That should've had a PC version day 1. But who knows what's going on the the minds of the management at Rockstar. They haven't even put out a PS5/XS- version of RDR 2 despite that it would sell gangbusters.

Cobaiye

My mistake - misread. What next-gen features would you want them to go back and add to GTA5? Bare in mind it's a 2015 port and at release we didn't have DirectDrive and RT everywhere.

All the features they've added on PS5 and Xbox S/X like the missing online content and the RT stuff.

Denton

Rockstar has been doing this since GTA3, 22 years ago. Back then it was because the team was small and they focused on one platform at a time. But it has worked for them, financially, so they kept doing it. Now they are staggering releases purely for monetary reasons. It is what it is.

Pc ain’t what yall pc fans think it is lol plain and simple. Consoles are the way to go
No thanks, I prefer best possible experience in games, even if it means waiting a bit sometimes (and frankly, consoles get many more games later than PC so it's not exactly something console fanboys should brag about).

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Cause assholes like me buy their games twice. I don’t like it, but it’s a working strategy.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Here's what they're going to do OP*:

1. Release the game on PS5, PS5 Pro, XBSX, and XBSS - 2025
2. Release the game on PC, but exclusive to the epic game store - 2026
3. Release the game on PC, finally on Steam - 2027
4. Release the game on PS6 and Xbox Next - 2028

*at least, I assume this is their plan

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

1. Release the game on PS5, Pr5 Pro, XBSX, and XBSS - 2025

Number 2 is just...no? They would release it on the Rockstar launcher.

Guilty_AI

1. Release the game on PS5, Pr5 Pro, XBSX, and XBSS - 2025

And each new version will contain features the previous one didn't have. Just as that last push towards double/triple/quadruple dipping.

Top Bottom