• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Rockstar so reluctant about PC ?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
excuse me?

I can find you bugs like that in every game. My experience was very good. Especially compared to the trash I’ve experienced on PC this year.

My biggest issue was lack of polish in cutscenes but thats another story.

Guilty_AI

I can find you bugs like that in every game. My experience was very good. Especially compared to the trash I’ve experienced on PC this year.

My biggest issue was lack of polish in cutscenes but thats another story.
The overall impression people gave of the game on release is that it was very buggy. Even here on GAF i saw threads about it. And the ones i posted weren't even the most pronounced ones.

Wanna talk about polished releases, Spider-man 2 doesn't seem to be it.

SenkiDala

In an era where IPs that used to be exclusive to one platform are coming to PC, why does it seem like Rockstar is doing everything they can to actually stay away from PC ?

- No next-gen features for GTA V on PC
- No RDR 1 port
- No PC version of GTA VI

What gives ?
They prefer platforms where people actually purchase the games.

All these takes about about how they want to double dip etc are just silly, they know full well, they would make the most money if they went pc day one, maybe it’s just personal preference like how crystal dynamic only works on pc and Xbox. Who knows for sure.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
All these takes about about how they want to double dip etc are just silly, they know full well, they would make the most money if they went pc day one, maybe it’s just personal preference like how crystal dynamic only works on pc and Xbox. Who knows for sure.
No, they don't know that fully well since they're doing the exact opposite. Or does a GAF poster know more than a big time publisher who no doubt conducts market research and runs the numbers?

SRTtoZ

In an era where IPs that used to be exclusive to one platform are coming to PC, why does it seem like Rockstar is doing everything they can to actually stay away from PC ?

- No RDR 1 port

What gives ?
Rockstar still thinks piracy affects sales lol

DrFigs

The overall impression people gave of the game on release is that it was very buggy. Even here on GAF i saw threads about it. And the ones i posted weren't even the most pronounced ones.

Wanna talk about polished releases, Spider-man 2 doesn't seem to be it.
It was buggier than Playstation games tend to be, but these things are always overblown.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think part of it is the buzz it generates for the console versions. They may be miss judging on this one though, the whales who will spend $1000's on a single game are more likely to be on PC. It probably does help them spread out the income for the decade or two between games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Vanillaware
adam-scott-parks-and-rec.gif

R*
angry-smile.gif

tusharngf

First is piracy on day 1 which could cause sales issue on consoles

Second, they want people to double-dip. I got Xbox 360 copy first, then I purchased a xbox one, and later on, PC got the Steam copy as well.

The HOT mod coffee controversy still haunts them to this day and they just want to avoid any modding scene.

Houser brothers aren't a fan of PC I have never seen them giving any special treatment to PC platform. Rockstar is the worst when it comes to giving support to the games. They never released any single player content on any platform shows that they don't give a damn about their fans. We used to get 1 GTA game every 2 or 3 yr. People needs to stop paying money to these greedy developers. GTA online single-handedly ruined the reputation of the franchise.

SenkiDala

I wonder, are these posts some kind of sarcastic metahumor, or are people like this dude here actually morons?
It was a joke...
acqW0KX.png

I own quite a lot of games on Steam and GOG.

But I do think that maybe Take Two thinks that a focus on consoles first is safest. And a PC port will take a long time, they could wait to release everything at the same time but they want to make money as fast as possible.

I remember in France we had a masterclass of the boss of CDPR for the release of The Witcher 3, and at a moment they talked about the 360 version of The Witcher 2 and how it was relevant to bother to make a console version, Iwiński answered that without that 360 version, TW3 wouldn't exist. That maybe have its importance in the decision of Rockstar to think about consoles version first.

Braag

They want to sell you the same game several times.
If you refuse and just wait for the PC release, they will stop doing it cause it wont be as profitable as releasing it day and date on all platforms. Like every other 3rd party studio does.

drotahorror

It's not that simple, RDR is using an engine that was going through major revision. The code was updated/modified up to the last minute to a point were R* devs were actually surprised that the game ran on anything at all. So a PC port would require the game be built again from scratch, basically.

They built the game from scratch or whatever code they had lying around for Switch and PS4.

I got a feeling RDR1 will be coming to PC in 2024. No doubt in my mind.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
It's their Strategy since GTA4? They milk the consoles bone dry, then, release on PC for the second wind, which also leads to more console sales, too. I guess the simple fact it's releasing on a "new" platform, causes a stir and people buy on the other platforms as well?

Regardless of what it is. This Series sells so much, it's nigh impossible to moneyhat.

Hohenheim

Pc ain’t what yall pc fans think it is lol plain and simple. Consoles are the way to go
Well, that statement COULD be made up to and maaaybe during the GC, PS2, OG Xbox era - where consoles still actually were unique hardware and platforms.
Nowadays the consoles are just low speced PC's with a locked program system and lack of most of the cool stuff like mods, advanced settings etc.

I absolutely love many of the consoles I've owned (which is most of them), but come on - they're quite limited and shallow compared to a good gaming PC.

As for the topic here:
I believe the ex-rockstar developer who stated that they need more time to make sure PC version is good to go.
But at the same time, they definitly want (and know) that many people will double dip.

daninthemix

literally every PC gamer bought a copy of GTA5 despite it releasing late. So it's not really relevant to their bottom line.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Control.

Once their games hit the PC they lose control of them.

Its why they hate the modfing community so much.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because we'll all double dip on it, obviously.

Hudo

Because their strategy is to re-release the game a couple of times on different platforms (including PC) so they can stretch the lifecycle of the product for years. GTA Online also helps with that.

It's a business decision to release games on PC later, simple as.

My crumby analogy:

If I were to run a business (any business doesn't matter) and you ask why am I selling over here and not over there? The answer is because my bread and butter is here. Don't get me wrong, I'll get around to over there but right here is where I make $.

Kerotan

1. They want to milk pc bro double dippers
2. It's easier on the development team not to worry about a PC version
3. No negative PR on launch from pc bros with some hideous combination of PC parts complaining he can't hit 60 frames smoothly

yanhash

It’s a 100% greed thing. But we allow it to happen and “media” refuse to report on it.
Greed? Its a business, these companies are not our friends, shit, if I was Rockstars CEO id charge $100 minimum for gta6, frankly I'm surprised they are not charging more.

Osita Iheme Reaction GIF by GrowthX

GymWolf

I bet you weren't the best of your class during the economy lesson at school uh...

Dude millions of people that have a console and a pc are gonna buy the game twice, how the fuck do they make more money if pc players with a console only buy their game once?

I double dipped 4 of their last 5 games because nobody is gonna wait 1 year or more for the pc version but we also wanna see their games run on something more powerfull than a cheap 500 dollar box.

NeoGiffer

- No RDR 1 port

What gives ?

doubledip_1_1.jpg

Cobaiye

Rockstar taking a PC focused team to make their feature console exclusive.

If this doesn't prove my point I don't know what can.

Solidus_T

The main reason they release console first is probably to prevent piracy and modding. They just won't say that.

Schmendrick

Simple, even GTA V still makes the majority of its money on consoles to this day.
Rockstar produces games that cater more to the Console than to the PC crowd and it shows in the revenue. They make very nice profits on PC, too, but the difference is more than drastic enough to warrant priorization of the consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom