• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rodea the Sky Soldier |Import OT| Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea: NiGHTS & Punishment

I really hope NISA keep the Wii box for it's box in NA:

540317vruvv.jpg

it's hard because there really isn't anything else quite like it... but if i could compare the feelings i got with this from other games... chibi-robo and excite truck were games i also felt were a bit rough around the edges, but contained a well-made game despite some issues.

this isn't really an endorsement of 'go buy this!' but just my feelings on the game. i do like it, but i'm not sure where my feelings of the game will fall compared to other people.

Thank you for your reply.

Vena

i understand where you coming from here. This will only be amplified as time goes by as development resources are poured into mobile games, that particular flavor you associate with gaming will slowly fade away.

In what 3DS did you play this? i ask because it would be interesting to hear your impressions about the 3D effect and if it uses the C stick for camera control or the circle pad pro.

Between mobile and the burgeoning AAAA budgets of gaming, we're in for a rough set of years going forward until something gives way, lol.

Even if it's just a "okay decent" game, I think I'm still going to get this for the sheer curiosity's sake. Especially since if I don't pre-order I can be assured I'm not going to get the original Wii vaporware version.

eeL2NQr.jpg

Wii

I1QYV71.jpg

Wii U

They sucked out all the colour. :(

It's so horrible. :'(

Remember XSEED had Prope add color to Ivy in NA (I think the sepia tone was kept in EU by Rising Star), hopefully NISA do the same for Rodea on Wii U. It's such an easy thing, it just looks so lifeless and ugly on Wii U, just a color update, hell the 3DS version is pretty close color-wise to the Wii version.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
http://i.imgur.com/eeL2NQr.jpg[img]
Wii

[img]http://i.imgur.com/I1QYV71.jpg[img]
Wii U

They sucked out all the colour. :([/QUOTE]

from the videos it also seems like they completely changed the soundtrack too.

the aesthetic changes they made to the ports are really baffling.

GamerJM

Banned
I read your impressions and idk if you really know the answer to this from what I read Ani, but would you recommend playing the Wii or Wii U/3DS versions first, and which do you think is ultimately superior? I understand the differences between the versions but I'm interested in reading which trade-off between the two versions someone who has actually played the game prefers.

AniHawk

I read your impressions and idk if you really know the answer to this from what I read Ani, but would you recommend playing the Wii or Wii U/3DS versions first, and which do you think is ultimately superior? I understand the differences between the versions but I'm interested in reading which trade-off between the two versions someone who has actually played the game prefers.

i personally really like the idea of new game concepts and experimental stuff. so rodea playing unlike games i've played in the past already makes it generally interesting to me. having played the 3ds version, i think it's probably the worst one. yeah it has streetpass and it might be neat (again, i haven't been able to see what it does), but having better camera control with the right stick is super nice. the wii u version is pretty good there. however, i know portability and 3d effects are sellers for some people, so i don't want to say it's outright bad. after all, it's how i mostly played the game and where i liked it. it's just... that extra camera control, man.

i also enjoy the exploration angle. i was kind of reminded of skies of arcadia in a way with the floating landmasses and far off places to fly towards. exploring the levels for medals/coins is something i see myself going back and doing.

but in terms of controls, the wii u and 3ds versions are very standard. control sticks and buttons and they all work fine from what i played, but the wii version being controlled with just the wii remote is a bold decision for a 3d action game and i was surprised to see how well it worked. a friend played both really disagrees because the wii remote is one of those evils of gaming, but i think it's fairly creative and works surprisingly well. this is done mostly because you're always moving forward. if there are later levels in which you need to move sideways or vertically more, i think there might be more serious problems.

because i haven't beaten the wii game, and i won't for quite a while, i can only say that i was immediately more interested in it (and also surprised that it played so differently from the other versions). however, i can see myself going back to the 3ds/wii u version more because it's basically built for that.

TheMoon

Why does the Wii version look like it has more detailed textures? And why does it look like the Wii U version has washed out textures that wouldn't be fit for a ps2?

Wii version done => Kadokawa: "oh shit, we want to sell a 3DS version now because that's new!" => "oh shit, Wii is over, they have a new console now, but it has different controls, let's port the 3DS version to Wii U since they're similar!"

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Wii version done => Kadokawa: "oh shit, we want to sell a 3DS version now because that's new!" => "oh shit, Wii is over, they have a new console now, but it has different controls, let's port the 3DS version to Wii U since they're similar!"

I think they were pretty badly burned with Earth Seeker

Should've localized it :D ...would've saved me the import! (and given them day-1 money)

How was that game? Seemed very hard to play without knowing Japanese.

That, Captain Rainbow and Zangeki are the Wii games I want to see translated. I know Rainbow has a translation project happening.

TheMoon

How was that game? Seemed very hard to play without knowing Japanese.

That, Captain Rainbow and Zangeki are the Wii games I want to see translated. I know Rainbow has a translation project happening.

Haven't played/tried to play it yet. Couldn't tell you.

rjc571

Banned
still waiting for my copy to arrive... SAL where are you lol

Same, kind of regretting not shelling out for faster shipping.

That 60 fps footage of the Wii version is looking mighty delicious :D Kind of funny that the Wii version runs at twice the framerate of the Wii U version.

Bulzeeb

Same, kind of regretting not shelling out for faster shipping.

That 60 fps footage of the Wii version is looking mighty delicious :D Kind of funny that the Wii version runs at twice the framerate of the Wii U version.

well the wii version was made from scratch for the console, the wii U version is a halfassed up-port of the 3ds version

I have both the 3DS and Wii U LE ordered from NISA. The impressions seem kinda like what I was expecting. A game that may have some rough edges but is completely unique. Definitely sounds like something I at least want to give a shot. Thanks for the impressions.

TheMoon

I have both the 3DS and Wii U LE ordered from NISA. The impressions seem kinda like what I was expecting. A game that may have some rough edges but is completely unique. Definitely sounds like something I at least want to give a shot. Thanks for the impressions.

Just saw the listings. Wow. Hope the same LE comes to their EU store. And I hope the soundtrack CD has the music from the Wii game (unless it's the same) because I liked what I heard in videos a lot!

rodea_wiiu_collection_nf_1.jpg

Somehow I do like the LE boxart... damn.... hopefully it will be in EU store too
and of course most likely it will end up £1=$1 :(

rjc571

Banned
Oh nice, didn't realize it was getting an LE. Just cancelled my Amazon preorder and ordered the LE from NISA instead.

new thread for new news? :p

I'm sure others would be glad to know. I wondered when the LE went up. After reading the thread I decided to check the site to see if it was available yet and immediately ordered one of each. Didn't realize it wasn't known :)

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Same here!

I'm glad I saw your post. Cancelled my Amazon preorders and replaced them with the NISA LE's. Man those limited editions are sexy.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
argh. postal service was not only delayed by a day, but they didn't actually deliver it so now i'll have to go pick it up in person tomorrow afternoon. so frustrating.

I'm definitely getting the Wii U version, but I'm on the fence about also getting the 3DS one. What are the differences between the two? Is it worth it to have both? Or is the 3DS version just a portable version of the Wii U one with the same level designs, controls, etc.?

TheMoon

I'm definitely getting the Wii U version, but I'm on the fence about also getting the 3DS one. What are the differences between the two? Is it worth it to have both? Or is the 3DS version just a portable version of the Wii U one with the same level designs, controls, etc.?

The Wii U version is a port of the 3DS version.

Top Bottom