• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
nx6lhzh.png

lnCQYGW.png

nowSAYe.png

7McG0Jp.png

RyjO54u.png

pVUsoT6.png

pYCcFDd.png

Welcome to the Rogue One OT. As stated above, this is a spoiler thread. Rather than splintering discussions into two or three threads (OT/Spoiler Thread/Review Thread), Toa TAK suggested to keep it simple and have the OT contain all the spoilers. Send him all your complaints and any questions about Thor: The Dark World.

The movie begins its official release next Wednesday, December 14, straight through to Friday, December 16, for most regions. It opens in China on January 6, 2017. The premiere is on Saturday, December 10.

I'll be adding more content, such as a summary of reviews, once the embargo lifts next Tuesday. Soundtrack is out on Friday, I'll put up a Spotify/Apple Music link when it becomes available on each platform. A reviews thread is available for spoiler-tagged discussion.

It's not a Quick OT without an error or two. I swear I looked everything over to great detail. Should you spot any errors, do point it out.

LINKS:
Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)
Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...
Rogue One | StarWars.com
Star Wars Databank
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - IMDb

kevin1025

Banned
For me, the most curious thing is who actually is in the Vader suit.

It was a couple of different actors, I believe. It was dependent on the scene that he appears in... Which to me means that we will see him in different situations than just standing.

obin_gam

It was a couple of different actors, I believe. It was dependent on the scene that he appears in... Which to me means that we will see him in different situations than just standing.

Oh, so no one will actually be credited except for JEJ?

kevin1025

Banned
Oh, so no one will actually be credited except for JEJ?

I'm not sure on that one. According to the EW article back during the summer, it was mentioned that he would be played by "a variety of large-framed performers", but then a Makingstarwars article mentioned Spencer Wilding. He might be one of the variety, or the sole actor in the suit.

Good job on the OT, Quick.

Are we having a separate thread for the Premiere livestream on Saturday, or are we just going to talk about the inevitable drunk actor shenanigans in here?

kevin1025

Banned
He doesn't use his saber in the film. No sabers are used it has been said.

It's probably not the same, but so many things have been confirmed not to be in a certain film just to keep the surprise. J.J. Abrams makes a living at it. So it could be that he does, but they don't want to ruin it. But it also could be true and that he doesn't.

Long story short, who knows, haha.

sphagnum

Banned
I wonder how accurate this is in order of events for the movie.

It also makes some main characters deaths obvious.

I think it's mostly correct but there's a couple issues. I think the Rebel briefing with the senators about the Death Star will probably be after Jedha since they'll all be freaked out about its power. The scene with Vader and Krennic in the room with steam is almost certainly Vader strangling Krennic so that would be at the end. And the space battle is what allows the Rebels to get down to Scarif, because they're blowing up a shield gate to get down to the surface.

There's probably a solid 3 extra minutes of footage they could've added at this point though.

Timu

I think it's mostly correct but there's a couple issues. I think the Rebel briefing with the senators about the Death Star will probably be after Jedha since they'll all be freaked out about its power. The scene with Vader and Krennic in the room with steam is almost certainly Vader strangling Krennic so that would be at the end. And the space battle is what allows the Rebels to get down to Svarif, because they're blowing up a shield gate to get down to the surface.

There's probably a solid 3 extra minutes of footage they could've added at this point though.
Ah, ok, that makes sense, so besides those issues, it's mostly accurate. Yeah even I would think Vader meeting Krennic with that steam in the room should be at the end of the movie for obvious reasons as I would think Vader would be mad at Krennic for failing to protect the death star plans I would believe.

I actually didn't know that about the space battle, so that's cool, kinda like the battle of Endor actually.

Timu

So many of the TFA ones were woefully inaccurate. Funny to go back and read. I wouldn't place too much faith in it.
To be fair this one seems to be well in order as Scarif has to be the finale since it includes a space battle above it.

Metalmarc

He doesn't use his saber in the film. No sabers are used it has been said.

Even though no sabers used Vader can be force choking and throwing people about though, at least i hope so

I personally still wanted him to at least ignite the saber at the end tho and raise it as if to end someone and the scene cuts away,but even that doesn't look likely it does it oh well we shall see.

With no lightsaber fights in this movie, can anyone speculate on how they'll balance out the confrontation dynamics between Vader and the rebels? I'm personally am angling with the idea of the rebel members trying to dominate him with their numbers, only to be picked off one by one. It could play out like Alien or Terminator, where the weak combatant manages to squeak by a victory using their wits. Defeating Vader in this manner would keep him strong, similar to how his defeat at the end of ANH didn't diminish his setup for ESB.

I just don't think that Disney will allow Vader to kill all of the Rebels in Rogue One. There has to be some levity, even though they may be going for a more darker tone in this film.

Surfinn

Damn is there really not gunna be a non spoiler OT? Was hoping for hyped up discussion without having to worry about spoilers.

Nice work, so looking forward to Friday. Will return after I see it. Until then..

May the Force be with you.

kevin1025

Banned
Damn is there really not gunna be a non spoiler OT? Was hoping for hyped up discussion without having to worry about spoilers.

Nice work, so looking forward to Friday. Will return after I see it. Until then..

My plan is to hang out till the embargo, and then return after Thursday night. I'm hoping to avoid any and all reviews and go in fresh (beyond the three or four trailers and two dozen TV spots, of course). Spoilers were intense after the review embargo ended last year.

sphagnum

Banned
With no lightsaber fights in this movie, can anyone speculate on how they'll balance out the confrontation dynamics between Vader and the rebels? I'm personally am angling with the idea of the rebel members trying to dominate him with their numbers, only to be picked off one by one. It could play out like Alien or Terminator, where the weak combatant manages to squeak by a victory using their wits. Defeating Vader in this manner would keep him strong, similar to how his defeat at the end of ANH didn't diminish his setup for ESB.

I just don't think that Disney will allow Vader to kill all of the Rebels in Rogue One. There has to be some levity, even though they may be going for a more darker tone in this film.

Easy, he probably doesn't fight them.

Quick

Banned

How about we go with discussions, and once a review thread goes up on Wednesday, we go in Spoiler mode?

Timu

Really, really can't wait for the wave of "This movie was fine until I realized Vader wasn't going to do anything, then it SUCKED" hot takes

Would LOVE to be proven wrong, though.
I really hope people don't expect him to do a lot in this movie, he'll probably have like 6-10 minutes of screen time or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom