• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy, he probably doesn't fight them.

But would Disney go with that? Under using Vader wasn't well received in ROTS, and not having a confrontation with him with the lead could come across as anticlimactic. Again, defeating Vader doesn't necessarily have to mean defeating him in the grand sense.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
welp we got our first bombshell guys, according to spahgium in the SW OT

Jar Jar is confirmed. (edit: ok just a strong rumor actually)

Not joking

CloudWolf

I'm not expecting a lot from this film, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

found a full source, actually, gotta skip 15:15 in though

how does that slip through

I know everybody was focusing on Donnie Yen and Alan Tudyk, but Gwendoline Christie has the best "Oh shit, abort, abort" reaction in this vid.

I want Vader to fuck shit up
12345856_1492399337735118_49838758_n.jpg

I actually hate this. Vader was never that strong in the films, if he was surrounded like this, he would be dead. He's a dark Jedi/Sith, not Sauron.

shira

Welcome to the Rogue One OT. As stated above, this is a spoiler thread. Rather than splintering discussions into two or three threads (OT/Spoiler Thread/Review Thread), Toa TAK suggested to keep it simple and have the OT contain all the spoilers. Send him all your complaints and any questions about Thor: The Dark World.

I've done Spoiler OT's before. Just clearly label it a |SPOILER OT|

It should be crystal clear this is a spoiler thread from the first few words, not the last word

And blaming Toa Tak in the OP isn't worth the amount of people who lurk or are expecting a normal OT and click last page to read major plot points

It should be crystal clear this is a spoiler thread from the first few words, not the last word

And blaming Toa Tak in the OP isn't worth the amount of people who lurk or are expecting a normal OT and click last page to read major plot points

It does say SPOILERS in the title to be fair.

Carl2291

I'll post it in spoiler tags just incase it does actually happen, but this is my own speculation about Vader.

He's only going to kill Krennic, with the classic force choke. He's not going to confront the rebels

Cheebo

Banned
welp we got our first bombshell guys, according to spahgium in the SW OT

Jar Jar is confirmed. (edit: ok just a strong rumor actually)

Not joking

It's a pretty legit Star Wars spoiler source as well. I believe it. He said Jar Jar had a line in the film but it is unsure if the line is in the final cut. Jar Jar is part of the meeting of the Rebel leaders with Organa and Mothma.

pitchfork

So Hyped!

Finish work at midnight next Wednesday (Cinema is directly opposite our warehouse) and going straight into 00:15 first showing : )

Just finished Rogue One Catalyst (Brilliant book) so all up to speed

I have to wonder why the fuck they'd even have a cameo for Jar Jar. The boos will be tremendous in theater if the appearance is remotely obvious.

Now where my Vader spoilers he's the only thing I want to know about before seeing the film, need my expectations set.

Cheebo

Banned
I have to wonder why the fuck they'd even have a cameo for Jar Jar. The boos will be tremendous in theater if the appearance is remotely obvious.

Now where my Vader spoilers he's the only thing I want to know about before seeing the film, need my expectations set.
A lot of the hardcore Star Wars fans like the prequels, you won't see any boos opening night.

It's just a nice nod to the prequels, they are canon after all. If OT gets cameos why not the PT?

Deadly

Give him some kind of line that confirms he goes to Alderaan. Confirmation he's dead, everyone cheers.

So Donnie Yen's character already confirmed to die? Goddamnit that makes any more Donnie Yen appearances in Star Wars out of the question :(

enewtabie

Just hope we figure out who the Bothans are now. I almost hope all the Rebels die towards the end getting the plans away.

Cheebo

Banned
The thing that doesn't make sense about Bothans isn't that Bothans were in ROTJ and not ANH...it is the Bothans didn't even steal the Death Star II plans!

Why do people keep thinking they have anything to do with Death Star plans? They had nothing to do with the plans either the first or second. The only information they got was that Palpatine was going to be on the DS II. They didn't steal the Death Star 2 plans.

There isn't anything about the about the Bothans role that would make people think the stole Death Star plans. It is such a baffling thing that keeps coming up as there is nothing in the films that should lead to this confusion.

enewtabie

The thing that doesn't make sense about Bothans isn't that Bothans were in ROTJ and not ANH...it is the Bothans didn't even steal the Death Star II plans!

Why do people keep thinking they have anything to do with Death Star plans? They had nothing to do with the plans either the first or second. The only information they got was that Palpatine was going to be on the DS II. They didn't steal the Death Star 2 plans.

lol I know what I was thinking. That woman or her younger self is in this movie and all I remember her saying was something along the lines of many Bothans died. I watched all of these when they came out at the theaters(yes the first one too,but I was a kid) and some on tv when t hey pop up..

munchie64

There isn't anything about the about the Bothans role that would make people think the stole Death Star plans. It is such a baffling thing that keeps coming up as there is nothing in the films that should lead to this confusion.
To be fair, the line is pretty memorable for whatever reason. I guess that's how the connection is made.

I do think it's hilarious that it keeps happening tho.

Cheebo

Banned
lol I know what I was thinking. That woman or her younger self is in this movie and all I remember her saying was something along the lines of many Bothans died. I watched all of these when they came out at the theaters(yes the first one too,but I was a kid) and some on tv when t hey pop up..
I didn't mean to call you out personally. I just mean in general. You see this confusion come up a lot and it doesn't make a lick of sense. It is such a bizarre thing you see so many get confused about.

Cheebo

Banned

Ever been to Star Wars Celebration? Or a Star Wars message board? Or listen to a Star Wars podcast.

You are dead wrong. There is a rabid prequel defense force amongst the fandon. Go to any Star Wars convention. Nearly half the cosplayers are prequel era characters, without question. You see as many Ahsoka's at Star Wars conventions as you do Harley Quinn's at comic-con.

What is one of the most beloved pieces of media of the franchise that pretty much loved by the entire hardcore fan-base? The prequel era tv series The Clone Wars.

Faynwulf

No, you're wrong. I feel like the hate the Prequels get is completely exaggerated
If you're a hardcore Star Wars fan you'll at least acknowledge that the Prequels were great for what they did to the EU. Maybe even for the franchise itself. Who knows if Disney would've bought them if Lucas hadn't kept it active this way.

I personally do like them. Sure they have problems. And the OT is way better. But Episode 1 was my first Star Wars film. And it the world was engaging enough that it made me watch everything else. And after that I started reading pretty much all the Novels and Comics.

The Prequels brought a new generation to Star Wars. And saying that a hardcore Star Wars fan can't like the Prequels is pure elitism. But people are used to that from the OT fanboys.

Ever been to Star Wars Celebration? Or a Star Wars message board? Or listen to a Star Wars podcast.

You are dead wrong.

I have been Celebration. PT stuff is outweighed pretty heavily by OT, with the exception of Clone Wars, which remains popular.

Cheebo

Banned
I have been Celebration. PT stuff is outweighed pretty heavily by OT, with the exception of Clone Wars, which remains popular.

I am including The Clone Wars in here as prequel era. Ashoka is one of the most beloved characters in the hardcore fanbase today. It's remarkable how that has happened.

molnizzle

Yes to everything but Celebration, and I was doing these things long before the PT even existed. I was reading EU books before the term "EU" was even formalized. My registration date on TheForce.net forums is earlier than your date of birth. GET OFF MY LAWN! lol

I personally do like them. Sure they have problems. And the OT is way better. But Episode 1 was my first Star Wars film. And it the world was engaging enough that it made me watch everything else. And after that I started reading pretty much all the Novels and Comics.

This is the crux of the issue it seems. The kids who liked the prequels when they came out have grown up now and mistakenly think the rest of us share their opinions about them.

I am including The Clone Wars in here as prequel era. Ashoka is one of the most beloved characters in the hardcore fanbase today. It's remarkable how that has happened.

I've haven't seen a single episode of The Clone Wars. -_-

It still bugs me lol she was like my least fave part of Clone Wars until the very last season and never had payoff in Rebels.

I dunno, I agree the PT has its niche, but it is much smaller and less prevalent than the OT group. The crowd for TFA opening night was mostly men over 35.

Cheebo

Banned
I've haven't seen a single episode of The Clone Wars. -_-

So you skipped over the entirety of 2008-2014 of the franchise? That was the center of the entire Star Wars fandom for those years that everything revolved around.

Never watching TCW and being a hardcore Star Wars fan is odd. You need to fix that ASAP. Prior to The Force Awakens the best on screen material since Empire Strikes Back was The Clone Wars.

I mean how did you listen to Star Wars podcasts when the only thing any Star Wars podcast talked about for over half a decade was The Clone Wars? lol

This is the crux of the issue it seems. The kids who liked the prequels when they came out have grown up now and mistakenly think the rest of us share their opinions about them.

The millennial generation is taking over the fandom, you can see it at Star Wars Celebration.

Compare the early ones which was mostly 30 something men to now. The amount of teen to 20 something females who go to these things has grown massively. Prequels/The Clone Wars is very significant to this shift.

THIS is the face of hardcore Star Wars fandom now.
Ahsoka-Lives-04212015-970x545.jpg

Quick

Banned

That was a joke. =\

The millennial generation is taking over the fandom, you can see it at Star Wars Celebration.

Compare the early ones which was mostly 30 something men to now. The amount of teen to 20 something females who go to these things has grown massively. Prequels/The Clone Wars is very significant to this shift.

THIS is the face of hardcore Star Wars fandom now.
Ahsoka-Lives-04212015-970x545.jpg

Yeah posting an image titled "Ahsoka Lives" might not provide the best picture for the state of the fandom. And when I went to Celebration in Orlando the last time it was there I was definitely on the young side of the majority of attendees at 18.

Guy.brush

Quiz:

Which movie has a planet fully shielded with only a small rectangular, secured opening to get in and out?

A) Spaceballs
B) Rogue One

Bonus questions:
  • Why did the Empire not utilize this tech for the Death Star itself or Endor?
  • 2nd bonus question: If it is a legitimate tactic to just hyperspace in between a planet surface and its shield like in TFA, why does this planet shield even exist?
  • 3rd bonus question: Why would the Empire have to transport Death Star building materials in slow lumbering At-Ats in a world where anti-grav tech is plenty full and even poor farmer boys have hover speeders?
World building like this with a lack of consistent logic can make every subsequent entry to a franchise damage the fabric of the universe every so slightly, but more importantly, make the stakes feel arbitary - with only the occasional line of dialogue thrown in to handwave stuff away.
Yeah I know it is a space opera, but still...sigh.

Nice job on the OT, Quick.

And when people say the Prequels are disliked, they're talking about the Prequel Trilogy. Not the Clone Wars cartoons, both of which are excellent and almost universally adored in the fan base.

Faynwulf

This is the crux of the issue it seems. -

I didn't meant it that way.
But you said it was False that a lot of hardcore fans like them. And the fact that you needed to bold and underline it... looks really spiteful. Maybe you didn't mean it that way. But I'm tired that the usual people always seem to imply that you can't be a hardcore fan when you like the Prequels.

I just wanted to clear that up. This will be my last post here until I've seen the Movie. :p

Roronoa95

Would some of you be very disappointed if we don't see Vader kiling all the rebels near the end ?

I think I would :-/

Quiz:

[*]Why did the Empire not utilize this tech for the Death Star itself or Endor?

[*]2nd bonus question: If it is a legitimate tactic to just hyperspace in between a planet surface and its shield like in TFA, why does this planet shield even exist?

[*]3rd bonus question: Why would the Empire have to transport Death Star building materials in slow lumbering At-Ats in a world where anti-grav tech is plenty full and even poor farmer boys have hover speeders?

1. I do not see how it is more effective than the shield that was in place for the Death Star itself in Return of the Jedi. That shield was not letting anything through until the generator was destroyed. Seems likely the Rogue One shield has a generator as well.

2. That is not a legitimate tactic on a large scale. Han Solo is a legendary pilot who almost got himself killed doing that. Average pilots would smack right into the planet as well as any larger ships.

3. Have not seen that part yet lol, does sound silly, can you give me a link to check it out?

Would some of you be very disappointed if we don't see Vader kiling all the rebels near the end ?

I think I would :-/

I need Vader to kill someone which I am like 99% confident is gonna happen. I've given up hope of him massacring Rebels at the end of the film.

Guy.brush

1. I do not see how it is more effective than the shield that was in place for the Death Star itself in Return of the Jedi. That shield was not letting anything through until the generator was destroyed. Seems likely the Rogue One shield has a generator as well.

2. That is not a legitimate tactic on a large scale. Han Solo is a legendary pilot who almost got himself killed doing that. Average pilots would smack right into the planet as well as any larger ships.

3. Have not seen that part yet lol, does sound silly, can you give me a link to check it out?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Armored_Cargo_Transport
They invented a new AT-AT the AT-ACT in Rogue One, apparently they are carrying building materials on Scariff. That is why they have that weird orange middle section as a container that is missing in some shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom