• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching this recently and had a few questions:

- I don't understand why there was only that one little USB stick/key thing that had the death star plans at the end of the movie. I thought that once transmitted, the plans were available to ALL the rebel ships?
- How was Vader able to stand comfortably and not fly away and/or suffocate when he was standing outside the spaceship when Leia's ship left?
- What the hell was Leia doing in the middle of a warzone??

The original reason Vader was designed with a respirator and spacesuit in 1977 was so he could go in space. I think it's pretty cool that they finally showed this use on screen.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So Raddus decided to put a Princess' life in danger? Sounds rather irresponsible.

I'm pretty sure that the struggle against the Empire is more important than any one person, princess or otherwise. All the Rebels put their lives on the line, that was the whole story. When the time came the Rebellion risked everything to get the Death Star plans, they would have been destroyed anyway had they not.

Number45

It seems pretty clear from the OT that very few people get to tell Leia to stay out of harms way (or anything else, for that matter).

mcz117chief

The original reason Vader was designed with a respirator and spacesuit in 1977 was so he could go in space. I think it's pretty cool that they finally showed this use on screen.

In episode IV he is flying a fighter and, as far as I know, no imperial fighters have life support inside.

Kickz

Saw this yesterday and was pretty whelmed by it, it was just kinda ok.

One thing that bothered me was I remember reading a theory/spoiler that the 2 asian dudes on the crew would eventually become R2D2 and C3PO but that appeared to be a bust since we see these 2 bots at the rebel base just walking around..

Mobius 1

I was pumped up to get back home from a business trip and pickup a Rogue One BluRay... but not out for another couple of weeks. Bah.

hobozero

One thing that bothered me was I remember reading a theory/spoiler that the 2 asian dudes on the crew would eventually become R2D2 and C3PO but that appeared to be a bust since we see these 2 bots at the rebel base just walking around..

Owen-Wilson-WTF.gif

-griffy-

Banned

What? This movie takes place like days before A New Hope, and ends like minutes before that movie starts, where R2 and C3PO are in the opening scene. How would that make any sense, and why would it bother you that this didn't turn out to be true?

It also entirely flies in the face of the prequels. And would also be bat shit insane enough for me to love it.

hobozero

What? This movie takes place like days before A New Hope, and ends like minutes before that movie starts, where R2 and C3PO are in the opening scene. How would that make any sense, and why would it bother you that this didn't turn out to be true?

Also both droids appear in the prequels. Also Annakin built C3PO. Also they have never established that you can turn people into droids. Also he got through the whole movie and still expected a deeply introspective blind monk to be turned into an effeminate gold droid with a different accent, but only wrote that theory off when he saw C3PO at the rebel base at 110 minutes into the movie.

Also oh no I've gone cross-eyed...

Edit: fixed pronouns

In episode IV he is flying a fighter and, as far as I know, no imperial fighters have life support inside.
This is correct. However, Vaders TIE is a special model and has a FTL drive and life support.

His suit is capable of being used in space, doe.

What the fuck at all of this

Kickz

Well guess I've been duped lol. I kinda spent a portion of the movie justifying and envisioning them as those 2 bots. From the can like thing that gun dude carried to bald like monk and C3PO's witty remarks lol.

This is correct. However, Vaders TIE is a special model and has a FTL drive and life support.

His suit is capable of being used in space, doe.

What the fuck at all of this

Rad-

Watched this. Good movie and it felt a lot more like Star Wars than TFA for some reason. Also the robot sidekick was great.

CS_Dan

I can't

One of the most bizarre posts I've ever seen on here!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Watched this. Good movie and it felt a lot more like Star Wars than TFA for some reason. Also the robot sidekick was great.
This feels a lot less like SW than TFA because at it's core SW is character driven and this is more action driven due to the plot. The amazing second half isn't as well done as it should be because the first half does a very poor job at characterization.

JB1981

This feels a lot less like SW than TFA because at it's core SW is character driven and this is more action driven due to the plot. The amazing second half isn't as well done as it should be because the first half does a very poor job at characterization.

TFA feels like a SW movie we've all seen before. It has characters but almost none of them are interesting. At least this movie had stakes and dramatic tension.

Well guess I've been duped lol. I kinda spent a portion of the movie justifying and envisioning them as those 2 bots. From the can like thing that gun dude carried to bald like monk and C3PO's witty remarks lol.

Yeah, I mean... C3PO and R2D2 have at least 30+ years of adventures under their belt by the time Rogue One takes place. Remember the iconic "wiry, skeletal C3PO" from the early 2000's? That was from The Phantom Menace, which depicts him as having just been built recently. Darth Vader is a little boy in that movie, and builds him. Then they both meet R2D2, and then both droids basically belong to Anakin for the next decade and a half as he grows up, becomes a Jedi, a war hero, and ultimately helps form the Empire. Those two droids have decades worth of extensive continuity prior to Rogue One. Like, hours and hours of screen time.

You were bothered by the fact that Chirut and Baze did not transform into C3PO and R2D2...
That is probably the most unique R1 complaint I've read. That's pretty special.

DonMigs85

Umm, did you ever watch the prequels or The Clone Wars series? You have a pretty hyperactive imagination

JB1981

RO kinda copped-out with the Cassian character. He mercs an informant with a physical disability and there is no consequence for the character. He really isn't heroic. He dies in the blaze of the Death Star but he should have paid some penance for his deeds rather than coming off as a heroic martyr for the rebellion

Kickz

Who originated this "theory"? Surely they must have been trolling or never watched the prequels.

Must've been some joke I took seriously

Yeah, I mean... C3PO and R2D2 have at least 30+ years of adventures under their belt by the time Rogue One takes place. Remember the iconic "wiry, skeletal C3PO" from the early 2000's? That was from The Phantom Menace, which depicts him as having just been built recently. Darth Vader is a little boy in that movie, and builds him. Then they both meet R2D2, and then both droids basically belong to Anakin for the next decade and a half as he grows up, becomes a Jedi, a war hero, and ultimately helps form the Empire. Those two droids have decades worth of extensive continuity prior to Rogue One. Like, hours and hours of screen time.

I saw the prequels like once back in elementary school so they are kind of a blind spot, but that makes sense I guess

You were bothered by the fact that Chirut and Baze did not transform into C3PO and R2D2...
That is probably the most unique R1 complaint I've read. That's pretty special.

Not really bothered, but more kind of confused since I came in with that built in expectation.

So which version of the Bluray is the best one to buy to get the most stuff.

From what I've read the Target one is the best but I don't need the 3D version of the movie. Does the non 3D one still have the extras the other one has?

gillty

Banned

:lol

This last page is some of the best Star Wars discussion I have ever read.

Sorcerer

RO kinda copped-out with the Cassian character. He mercs an informant with a physical disability and there is no consequence for the character. He really isn't heroic. He dies in the blaze of the Death Star but he should have paid some penance for his deeds rather than coming off as a heroic martyr for the rebellion

None of them died heroic. They are not remembered at all for their deeds. Remember they are defying orders in the first place.

Dash27

TFA feels like a SW movie we've all seen before. It has characters but almost none of them are interesting. At least this movie had stakes and dramatic tension.

Wow I feel completely the opposite. TFA had very good characters. I especially liked Finn but Rey and Poe were great too.

Rogue One I thought was very forgettable save for the one scene with Vader and the various things that tie into A New Hope. Characters were not at all good which is a shame because Jyn should have been great.

so watched this yesterday

CG faces - way worse than what I expected, it doesn't look real ... not at all and the expressions and movements are just off. I never expected it to be this way I thought it could look better than this. What happened... or didn't happen here. Skin texture looks awful.

The movie wasn't that great, it just felt everything was quite "off" how to say...

There doesn't seem to be a lot of good character building , the sets and areas just never really have any feel of "classic" or depth as well.

Some lines seem/feel overly used or down right forced.

CG also killed a lot of the film and it just kept feeling wrong/bad compared to the OT honestly.

There was also little point in killing all of them off no matter how they saw their future. That seemed overly forced and over done as well.

It's a little strange honestly but I almost enjoyed the (bad) prequels more than this film... at least they feel like something different while this movie sort of feels like other movies outside of the Star Wars universe. it's just sort of there and nothing feels that special or exciting there.

Atlesat with the prequels I had pod race, darth maul and some nice slave one moments (even though they had their own terrible stuff)

This movie just doesn't feel like Star wars in the good or bad and that was what I had been expecting from Disney anyways. Seems it panned out true and will only get worse in things like "han

Interesting note, I'm in china and the service I watched it on had a pretty standard image of star wars, darth vader in the bg.. they changed it to something I feel is a bit cheating

Kickz

so watched this yesterday

CG faces - way worse than what I expected, it doesn't look real ... not at all and the expressions and movements are just off. I never expected it to be this way I thought it could look better than this. What happened... or didn't happen here. Skin texture looks awful.

I agree CG was painfully noticeable

If they ever do cg faces again soon maybe Disney should have a try out with many companies and choose the one that can actually do it and pay decent for it and build it up a bit in their promos. I was actually thinking a game developer like ND could even do it better with the tools and power provided. Experience (especially animation) can go a long way.

Just felt like a lack of expeience and eh the other character cg wasnt too hot either.

If they ever do cg faces again soon maybe Disney should have a try out with many companies and choose the one that can actually do it and pay decent for it and build it up a bit in their promos. I was actually thinking a game developer like ND could even do it better with the tools and power provided. Experience (especially animation) can go a long way.

Just felt like a lack of expeience and eh the other character cg wasnt too hot either.

I am having a very hard time imagining that ILM lacks digital animation experience, especially compared to the like of Naughty Dogs.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

He's a spy who has done a lot of bad stuff for the rebellion. The book fleshes him out a lot more. He is not supposed to be a hero.

Sorcerer

I hope we get some movies on the books about Padawan Kenobi. I loved reading those as a kid.

Doubtful. Star Wars movies don't rely on the books because those stories are already told. Plus those young Kenobi stories would bring us back to the Prequel Trilogy. I don't think Lucas/Disney are keen to revisit that.

I am having a very hard time imagining that ILM lacks digital animation experience, especially compared to the like of Naughty Dogs.

Their faces sure does look like it though? the expressions, eyes etc didn't seem very good in a reaction stage, not just the way the textures and shapes looked. You think they have more people experience than ND? Seems doubtful. 4 uncharted , tlou with a lot of hand keyed animation. Games are quite long and its all digitally made versus how many people have been digitally made by ILM to the extent of games? I'm sure many companies have a lot more experience in this, movies aren't that long and expressions with full on people doesn't happen that much, Princess was a few words and a smile after all.

Anyways, the movie just wasn't very good for me in many places. Even the little battle with stormtroopers and the tank felt like it was more for a movie like fury than Star Wars

You seemed to have miss the real issue with what I was saying, digital experience does not compute to human animation expression experience. Not like we know anyways but just that it isn't used nearly as much in movies (usually for touch ups or certain characters sure, but not full on human like that often) Any time a character is full cg it's usually very easy to tell and I don't quite get why they even do it for some characters anyways. Especially the admirals

Their faces sure does look like it though? the expressions, eyes etc didn't seem very good in a reaction stage, not just the way the textures and shapes looked.

I'm saying that I'm skeptical Naughty Dogs would do better job. Uncharted character animations disturb you less because they are more stylized and they are not put beside actual live-action people.

You seemed to have miss the real issue with what I was saying, digital experience does not compute to human animation expression experience. Not like we know anyways but just that it isn't used nearly as much in movies (usually for touch ups or certain characters sure, but not full on human like that often) Any time a character is full cg it's usually very easy to tell and I don't quite get why they even do it for some characters anyways. Especially the admirals

I'm saying that Naughty Dogs is even more unproven in that area. None of their character renders even look like real humans, even in stills. It's not something they pursued. The notion that they could suddenly do a better job at doing something they never did - just by being given some tools and power - in the stead of ILM perfecting their efforts by learning from their own experience is just weird to me.

Kickz

Doubtful. Star Wars movies don't rely on the books because those stories are already told. Plus those young Kenobi stories would bring us back to the Prequel Trilogy. I don't think Lucas/Disney are keen to revisit that.

If they did Rogue One I am sure Obi-Wan can get something with these off year movies.

He is to popular not to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom