• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rollcage spiritual successor - Grip | Kickstarter Incoming

For those of you that loved Rollcage on PS1 and PC in the late 90's, one of the original devs is working on a spiritual successor called Grip.

The arcade racer. Today, and seemingly for the longest time, an archaic concept consigned to history. Where simulation and the sandbox dominate the motoring scene, where have the arcade racers gone? Where are the guns? Where are the missiles? Where those glorious, refulgent explosions? In the mists of your memories, golden days spent at the pad of the arcing, mellifluous Wipeout, majestic sessions in battle through the frenetic, hardcore classic that is Rollcage. All that is left, fleeting vistas sweeping through your mindscape of a bygone age. The arcade racer, in all its grizzled glory, gone. Achingly absent. Lost. Perhaps, forever?

Not if we have anything to do with it.

9th of June Update
k50b.gif

Cardon

Remember playing the hell out of the Rollcage demo that was on one of the OPM demo discs back in the day. Loved the game since it was a nice alternative to the style of racing found in Wipeout. Really excited for this Kickstarter so here's hoping the project happens at some point.

Matty77

Loved rollcage. In fact My brother got a PS2 in the first wave somehow when they were nowhere, just for DVD, so I traded him my DVD player and PS1 for it, but kept rollcage until I could get some games.

Always wanted another one.

Sesha

Indie arcade racers representing. How many indie racers are we looking at now? They all look so good.

So many arcade racers being announced and/or kickstarted, it's so beautiful!

Are arcade racers just not considered "financially viable" anymore? I could see more niche titles like futuristic racers having more issues because of difficulty, but you'd think that racers that focus on fun rather than simulation would have a wider reach....

clem84

Gold Member
I had a blast playing Rollcage when it came out and normally I would back this in an instant. The problem is that I just backed Bloodstained and Shenmue3 both at high tiers so it would be a little too much for me to back another KS at the moment.

I don't know when they plan on making this KS live but they should wait. I suspect the two aforementioned KS will very negatively affect the success of this one.

Komo

Banned
WHAT?!

Holy crap! Of all things to ever get a spiritual successor, I'd NEVER guess this!

I am going to back this so hard

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
OMG. This year seems to be definitively crazy.

I think this level is one of the best memories I can have in video gaming. The sky, the environment, the destructible elements... Damn. And I just reinstalled the game on my PC some months ago.

I want this game. The short teaser looks really awesome.

Oh wow, that snippet of footage looked amazing. I was hoping Sony was working on a new Rollcage after seeing the intro video for Wipeout 2048.

Matty77

I had a blast playing Rollcage when it came out and normally I would back this in an instant. The problem is that I just backed Bloodstained and Shenmue3 both at high tiers so it would be a little too much for me to back another KS at the moment.

I don't know when they plan on making this KS live but they should wait. I suspect the two aforementioned KS will very negatively affect the success of this one.
It is the best and worst of times thanks to Kickstarter. So much beloved stuff making a return and not beholden to coporate publishers, so little money to even back a majority of it.

I guess it's a great problem to have.

Tenebrous

Their kick-starter didn't start off well though, imo due to lack of clarity/commitment.

True, but even with the lackluster performance of the Formula Fusion kickstarter, does Rollcage command enough of a fanbase to push it above and beyond?

It will be interesting to see. I really hope this game gets made.

Peterthumpa

What are the other dozen kickstarted arcade racing games we're talking about? Only thing that comes to my mind is Distance, and even then, Early Access.

And yes, so bought. Rollcage is amazing.

SpotAnime

Wow. That demo was beautiful. I'm backing.

Rollcage was fantastic back in the day. The D&B/Jungle soundtrack was really great. I hope they shoot for that with this version.

Doesn't seem like any of the folks involved from Psygnosis are at all involved with this. Maybe that will change and they get announced in a consultant role when the Kickstarter campaign goes live.

Can't wait. Thanks OP.

Komo

Banned
Oh god I've wanted this for years, I'm so in. Rollcage was a better game than Wipeout IMHO.

Way better.

I'm really hoping this Kickstarter passes its mark, whatever it may be. I'm just hoping that they're not going to be asking for an unreasonable amount of money so it can actually succeed.

I feel like it would be lucky to reach $50,000

SpotAnime

Oh god I've wanted this for years, I'm so in. Rollcage was a better game than Wipeout IMHO.

Way better.

I liked both equally because as many similarities as they had, they really were different games in terms of their core driving mechanic. Wipeout was more about drifting the corners, whereas Rollcage gripped those roads hard. I had a harder time controlling my vehicle because it played like an RC racer. So hard following the driving line. I would spin out or go off the track all the time.

I remember getting a free copy of Rollcage for the PC when I bought an Nvidia graphics card way back in the day/ It may have been a Geforce 2 with 64MB of RAM. I have never once played the game or tested it out. I really have no idea if the game was ever good or not.

It was made by Psygnosis, so it must be pretty decent. I think I still have that disk in a box somewhere.

KTO

I really thought this was going to be a thread about a successor to the notoriously wonky GBA accessory.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Another game which I would like a sequel to is Gripshift by Sidhe. That game was a hoot and it's a shame it didn't have voice chat. Lots of late nights laughing at the the way the cars fell off the track at times. That game took some skill.

Another game which I would like a sequel to is Gripshift by Sidhe. That game was a hoot and it's a shame it didn't have voice chat. Lots of late nights laughing at the the way the cars fell off the track at times. That game took some skill.
Aren't those guys lost to the mobile games future? Lol

Matty77

What a random thing to revive.
I think it has a pretty big cult audience actually. Everytime I have seen a "dead racing franchises you'd like to see a new entry" in the past decade or so over multiple forums I always see rollcage come up.

I agree, I think there's a lot of dormant love for the series out there. Also ta to sparkTR for the above steamgroup link, I will be checking that out later.

Top Bottom