• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rollcage spiritual successor - Grip | Kickstarter Incoming

I'm scared for this game. There have been so many indie racing game kickstarters which barely squeaked by lately. 90's Arcade Racer, Fusion something (the WipEout one), a few others. So close to failure, so little money, and none released yet AFAIK. I really want these games to be awesome & successful but something just falls apart. Why do gamers hate arcade racing games? :/

Anyways, I hope these guys do a real good Kickstater, cuz they'll need it!
Distance is out on Steam Early Access and coming to PS4. And most of those other arcade racer Kickstarters were this year so they wouldn't be out yet anyway. Don't worry, just got to be patient

Komo

Banned
I'm actually really pleasantly surprised to see so many people all-for Rollcage! It gives me a lot more hope for the Kickstarter.

It feels good to know it wasn't as niche of a title as I thought :p

The Rollcage Stage II website still works...

http://www.rollcagestage2.com/

The best bit:
French, German, Spanish & Italian coming soon.

EDIT:
and some more screens;

Screen5.jpg

Screen4.jpg

Screen2.jpg

Screen6.jpg

daniels

damn rollcage stage 2 was crazy fast endgame :) I hope they keep the speed O_O
i wonder if they keep the "wormhole" weapon ^^

damn rollcage stage 2 was crazy fast endgame :) I hope they keep the speed O_O
i wonder if they keep the "wormhole" weapon ^^
What were the levels like in rollcage? More straightforward tracks with tunnels like in the footage here, or more over-the-top with loops and jumps and stuff?

Ubersnug

My eyes, they are melting at the awesomeness on display in that trailer.

I really hope they release this on the Xbox One (or PS4)!

Tomeru

This fucking game! Give me those special missions track mission type all over my face (as pointed out - Scramble mode). Now.

CamHostage

Looks pretty good.

But weird question: doesn't rotating the camera when going upside down kind of defeat the point of a double-sided vehicle? I guess I'm not remembering Rollcage well enough (the spinning camera is in there too) but it seems like if your car can run on either side, up isn't down anymore (though you still have to worry about gravity in the end.) The camera is constantly having to figure out how best to serve the player, and it'll spin the viewpoint axis completely opposite on the player. (Which I can't remember from Rollcage, does that then invert controls like when in Resident Evil holding left suddenly meant moving right in a severe camera change?) Feels like they could come up with a newer effect for that, like a dutch angle or a dolly zoom or a color/saturation shift when upside down to sell the break in gravity, and keep the vertigo but lose the perspective disassociation.

m50b.gif

I spent a lot of time as a kid trying to understand how the pilots inside the cars would deal with driving upside down and stuff. I wish they'd explain that.

Would be cool if they had visible cockpits instead of all the metal shell, and if the pilot pod rotated like the B-Wing in Star Wars. Kind of the point of Rollcage is to instill in the player a sense of "THIS IS CRAZY, I'M DEFYING GRAVITY!!" so maybe that's why they don't explain or depict that, but I think they can still sell the effect without hiding the driver.

But weird question: doesn't rotating the camera when going upside down kind of defeat the point of a double-sided vehicle? I guess I'm not remembering Rollcage well enough (the spinning camera is in there too) but it seems like if your car can run on either side, up isn't down anymore (though you still have to worry about gravity in the end.) The camera is constantly having to figure out how best to serve the player, and it'll spin the viewpoint axis completely opposite on the player. (Which I can't remember from Rollcage, does that then invert controls like when in Resident Evil holding left suddenly meant moving right in a severe camera change?) Feels like they could come up with a newer effect for that, like a dutch angle or a dolly zoom or a color/saturation shift when upside down to sell the break in gravity, and keep the vertigo but lose the perspective disassociation.

In the original games the camera was locked onto the car and followed it upside down.

kickstarter has had some awesome stuff recently

shenmue, bloodstained. I even backed yooka laylee in a state of sheer mania.

I played the hell out of the demo of rollcage 1 on ps1 but never bought the full game. time to make amends.

Komo

Banned
Part of me kind of hopes they'll make the wheels quite large / wide in proportion to the rest of the vehicle, like they did in previous games.
Looks way more badass, imo. Although that sort of stuff was a trope of the late 90s to the mid 2000s, so maybe I'm just behind the times

CamHostage

In the original games the camera was locked onto the car and followed it upside down.

I understand that, but that was then, and now the team have a lot more control over the camera and display effects*. If they see value in doing it exactly like Rollcage, then fine, but options are open. They could for example do like Burnout or NFS MW (Criterion's version) did with perspective distortions and canted angles, to sell the sense of vertigo without making the driving more disorienting than it needs to be.

If they just want to straight-out make Rollcage 3 for Rollcage fans, then have at it. But if they want a long-lasting new racing franchise that goes beyond what Rollcage was (and that defeats any of the practical reasons why Rollcage died out) then they can't just follow the formula. Hopefully that's not what they're doing.

(*That being said, the PS1 game had some crazy effects and tech behind it. Like you said that the camera is "locked onto the car", which is mostly true, but from videos, it looks like the camera is actually intelligently following rather than just locking it to the Y axis of the chassis, which is pretty impressive for back then. And the "woozy" effect in Rollcage is a bonkers blend of color and camera tricks.)

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
HOLY SHIT YES

Edit:

This NEEDS to come to PS4.

Get Adam Boyes on the line!

low-G

I see the Grip Twitter account made a comment to someone's question "We're aiming for 60fps on all platforms". So, that bodes well for at least one console version, if not X1, PS4, PC...

Top Bottom