• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roman Abramovich $52,000 lunch bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomarTyme

Smash88 said:
No I mean TMZ, because they make news out of nothing.

"OMG PARIS HILTON TOOK A PISS AT A HOTEL NEWS AT 11"

They just blow up so many insignificant things, it just gets annoying. Who cares what stars do? They are normal people like you and me, except they have more money and are known by a lot of people, BIG WOOP.
Its a big business, deal with it.

-PXG-

Narcosis said:
And to think, that meal probably didn't taste any better than boxed wine and take out

Uh.....Guess you're taste buds are fucked up. I'm not saying expensive stuff is always better, but come on. There's a difference between that, and shitty ass boxed wine.

And while I'm at it, water isn't water. Each brand has a different taste. Towns and cities have different tastes too. For me, NYC tap water is great. My house, it sucks. Poland Spring is the best bottled, while Evian and Dannon taste like ass.

Mars

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Do you think there's some secret billionaire message board where they have threads like "I just bought myself a $47 000 Italian meal" ?

It would be great if the $47,000 meal thread ended up exactly the same as the GAF thread, just with bigger numbers. "You idiot, I got a way better Italian meal for only $30,000"

Future

Holy shit, how can wine even cost anywhere close to 10,000. What the hell made its supposed worth even approach that amount. Who was the first idiot to get offered that amount, and then actually happily pay for it

I've tasted $500 wine that was decent, but not significantly better than $50 bottles. A wine that costs 20 x that which already didnt seem worth it is mindboggling

Apple needs to get into the wine business and sell that shit for 99 cents

-PXG-

Mars said:
It would be great if the $47,000 meal thread ended up exactly the same as the GAF thread, just with bigger numbers. "You idiot, I got a way better Italian meal for only $30,000"

NeoRAF

Rich Age Forums

Hey RAF. Should I buy a 38th diamond encrusted PS3 for one of my 50 bedrooms?

Mars said:

And there would be all these replies like "$12000 burrito, so good" or "Panda bourgignon + 300 year old merlot + 2 underage Disney actresses, I am the winner."

Mana Sin

Emma Watson has been the star of many of my childhood fantasies.. Tis a shame that she seems to have an alcohol problem :(

Vandiger

$9+ for cappuccino with $20+ calamari, fuck that place. I take it this place is mainly to see celebs and elites of the world?

Future said:
Holy shit, how can wine even cost anywhere close to 10,000. What the hell made its supposed worth even approach that amount. Who was the first idiot to get offered that amount, and then actually happily pay for it

I've tasted $500 wine that was decent, but not significantly better than $50 bottles. A wine that costs 20 x that which already didnt seem worth it is mindboggling

Apple needs to get into the wine business and sell that shit for 99 cents
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti is probably the single greatest domaine in Burgundy and La Tâche is one of their two legendary monopolie vineyards. It is perennially considered one of the greatest and most profound red wines in the world year-in and year-out. Is it worth the insane price on restaurant wine lists? Hell no. But that's what happens when you only produce tiny quantities of a highly, highly desired wine. The release price at the domaine is much lower, but you'd have to be someone special or important to get your hands on La Tâche there.

Château Pétrus is one of the most famous producers in Bordeaux. It is certainly the greatest château in Pomerol, perhaps the best right bank Merlot-based Bordeaux, and one of the best Bordeaux period. Again, the problem of supply and demand; I don't think it's worth the prices it commands on the market.

Then there's the Cristal rosé, which is considerably more expensive than the standard Cristal. Made popular by rappers and the hip-hop community, I think it is incredibly overrated and overpriced. In this price range, Krug is king.

Wes

venison crêpe
Yoboman said:
She does?:lol

corona.jpg

Salazar

Hcbk0702 said:
It is perennially considered one of the greatest and most profound red wines in the world year-in and year-out.

Philosophy is profound. Poetry is profound. Cinema can, on occasion, be profound. Wine is not.

Mana Sin

Yoboman said:
She does?:lol

What Wes said. Fantasies ruined :'(

Fantasies of smart, prudish witch girl being slowly corrupted by my American-ness as she slowly becomes as adept with my wand as she is with her own. *sigh* I was an odd tween.

Future

Hcbk0702 said:
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti is probably the single greatest domaine in Burgundy and La Tâche is one of their two legendary monopolie vineyards. It is perennially considered one of the greatest and most profound red wines in the world year-in and year-out. Is it worth the insane price on restaurant wine lists? Hell no. But that's what happens when you only produce tiny quantities of a highly, highly desired wine. The release price at the domaine is much lower, but you'd have to be someone special or important to get your hands on La Tâche there

As profound as it must be, obviously someone must have offered a price, and then some idiot must have paid for it. I dont care if I am a multimillionaire. Someone offers me a profound piece of gum for 5 gs I laugh in their face.

But then again, if you make that much money, money itself is pretty much a joke. So why not I guess. Just blows the mind when you think about it

If I ever get rich I swear to myself I'll still eat KFC and Sun Chips.

Hcbk0702 said:
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti is probably the single greatest domaine in Burgundy and La Tâche is one of their two legendary monopolie vineyards. It is perennially considered one of the greatest and most profound red wines in the world year-in and year-out. Is it worth the insane price on restaurant wine lists? Hell no. But that's what happens when you only produce tiny quantities of a highly, highly desired wine. The release price at the domaine is much lower, but you'd have to be someone special or important to get your hands on La Tâche there.

Château Pétrus is one of the most famous producers in Bordeaux. It is certainly the greatest château in Pomerol, perhaps the best right bank Merlot-based Bordeaux, and one of the best Bordeaux period. Again, the problem of supply and demand; I don't think it's worth the prices it commands on the market.

Then there's the Cristal rosé, which is considerably more expensive than the standard Cristal. Made popular by rappers and the hip-hop community, I think it is incredibly overrated and overpriced. In this price range, Krug is king.
Holy shit I didn't understand a word you said.

cvxfreak

Just imagine if the customer refused to pay the bill.

That said, expensive food is often times actually worth it. Like that $250 for two French restaurant on my birthday. Mmmm....

Jal

Abramovich has lot's of money, Abramovich spent lot's of money on dinner.

Who'd have thunk it!

Salazar said:
Philosophy is profound. Poetry is profound. Cinema can, on occasion, be profound. Wine is not.
Ultimately, it's just a beverage. But the flavors and textures of a great wine can certainly be fascinating and become a singular memory. Winemaking has a long history spanning a couple millenia and is an integral part of Western food culture. I certainly don't consider it on the same artistic and intellectual plane as great literature and poetry. But yes, it can absolutely be profound, in a hedonistic and unbelievably pleasurable sense.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Salazar said:

Maybe you're just not pretentious enough.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Calidor said:
not that much considering it's a 10 people meal. that's about 4700$ per person.

For spaghetti and wine................

Salazar

Hcbk0702 said:
Ultimately, it's just a beverage. But the flavors and textures of a great wine can certainly be fascinating and become a singular memory. Winemaking has a long history spanning a couple millenia and is an integral part of Western food culture. I certainly don't consider it on the same artistic and intellectual plane as great literature and poetry. But yes, it can absolutely be profound, in a hedonistic and unbelievably pleasurable sense.

The degree to which those cultural and historical profundities are attached to and evoked by the drinking and the liquid, rather than inherent in them, still make it a damned awkward adjective.

KHarvey16

A drink or piece of food can absolutely be profound in the sense it has complexity or multiple layers to it, not profound in the sense it has great intellectual impact. It's a bit dramatic but technically it fits.

Aegus

In this thread people complain about a man who spends his billions of $ on stuff instead of hoarding it some inane reason.

It'll trickle down to us plebs eventually!
Probably not

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Baaallin'.
I'd spend a shit ton of money on great food as well if I was swimming in money.

Fio

I like wine a lot and I'm by no means a wine expert, but I have seen a lot of respected sommeliers saying that no wine is worth thousands and thousands of dollars, that they don't taste that superior (if at all) from "cheaper" (they're still expensive) high quality wines, that these extremely expensive wines are sold to ignorant rich people so they can show off.

Zeppu

So, recap:

Smart businessman who managed to make a wealth for himself takes 9 people out to dinner at a restaurant which is good enough to have customers even at those prices and drinks expensive wines and leaves a $5000 tip over what had already been added showing they were all satisfied.

So:
Rich guy
Great restaurant
Expensive wines
Large bill
Large tip

Everyone left happy. Customers seemed hella satisfied.

Why is GAF complaining? Envious much? It's his money and it's the other guy's restaurant. No one forced anyone to do anything. If any of you think they can open a restaurant where they can charge $40 for spaghetti then do it. It involves a lot of work to get there and build up a reputation like that.

And if I were rich I would treat myself to meals like that.

Ripclawe

Banned
Score: Billionaire Roman was presented with a special commemorative football by restaurant owner, Nello Balan
article-1224357-0707284E000005DC-809_468x550.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ichs-corking-lunch-29k.html?printingPage=true
Mystery last night surrounded a visit by Roman Abramovich to a New York restaurant and an amazing bill for £28,793.

The scene was Nello’s, one of the city’s premier Italian restaurants, whose owner has given full details of how the Chelsea owner, his girlfriend Dasha Zhukova, his son Arkady and three business associates drank some of the world’s finest wines and feasted on truffles, veal, seafood and pasta.

Restaurateur Nello Balan said: ‘When they started ordering, it was clear that excellence and perfection was on their agenda, rather than looking at the price.’

And a witness claimed Mr Abramovich didn’t flinch as he picked up the tab at the restaurant on Manhattan’s Upper East Side after a 79-minute lunch on Friday, but politely enquired if service was included. It was – all £4,468 of it.

‘We were all high-fiving each other in the kitchen after he left,’ said a waiter. ‘That was a great tip, considering the length of time he stayed.’

The billionaire’s party, all casually dressed – his 16-year-old son wore jeans and a brown hoodie – arrived at the restaurant at 1.30pm.

A witness said: ‘If you didn’t know he was so rich, you wouldn’t look twice at him. They just looked like any other tourists in New York. And the teenage kid looked quite surly.’

According to Mr Balan, the group’s lavish purchases included two bottles of Chateau Petrus wine, three bottles of La Tache Romanee Conti pinot noir and two magnums of Cristal rosé champagne – all at $5,000 (£3,049) a bottle, meaning they spent more than £21,000 on wine alone, although former model Ms Zhukova, who is seven months pregnant, was sticking to mineral water at £10 a bottle.

Tawny port and Johnnie Walker Blue Label whisky added another £258 to the alcohol bill.

Mr Abramovich, 47, started his meal with white truffle carpaccio, followed by veal Milanese and a side order of truffle tagliolini. He asked for two chunks of his favourite Parmesan cheese for the table – which the group shaved on to their pasta – costing another £17.

For dessert, he opted for the tiramisu, eating just three mouthfuls before pushing it aside.

A waiter said: ‘Roman’s son had seafood pasta and the other friends were very relaxed and shared dishes of prosciutto, calamari and pasta. They ordered the most expensive wine and champagne on the menu.

‘Roman had a glass of champagne and a couple of glasses of red wine. The men ordered 40-year-old port to end their meal but they just had a sip and left the rest. What they didn’t drink, they gave away at the end of their meal to other diners. It was amazing.

‘There was a couple at the next table who ended up being given a half-finished bottle of Petrus. They must have thought they had won the lottery.’

Restaurant owner Mr Nello added: ‘Mr Abramovich is a man of great wealth and very good taste. The final total was high but that was because he ordered some very fine wines which he generously shared with others in the restaurant.’

Mr Nello presented the Chelsea owner with a commemorative football at the end of his meal. He said: ‘I love soccer and I have lots of balls that I give away to special customers. Roman was happy.

‘I told him he should buy the New York Yankees [baseball team] but he said, “No thank you, I have enough trouble with Chelsea as it is. Let me finish off what I am doing with them first.”’

Last night Mr Abramovich’s spokesman confirmed he was in the restaurant on Friday lunchtime with his girlfriend, son and friends.

But when asked about the £28,793 tab, he added: ‘That bill does not belong to them. They spent only a fraction of that amount. Maybe it is someone else’s bill.’

Would Sir care to taste the wine? How to spend £21k on seven bottles

Roman Abramovich's party reportedly enjoyed the most expensive bottles on Nello’s wine list.

Chateau Petrus is a Bordeaux made almost entirely from the merlot grape and one of the world’s most highly rated and expensive wines. It comes from a 28-acre vineyard where grapes are brought in entirely by hand and the wine is aged in new French oak for 20 months.

La Tache Romanee Conti pinot noir is from an estate in Burgundy which has an 800-year history of wine production and is considered one of the greatest vineyards in the world.

Cristal champagne was first created in 1876 for Alexander II of Russia but in recent years it has become associated with ostentatious hip-hop culture.

josephdebono said:
So, recap:

Smart businessman who managed to make a wealth for himself takes 9 people out to dinner at a restaurant which is good enough to have customers even at those prices and drinks expensive wines and leaves a $5000 tip over what had already been added showing they were all satisfied.

So:
Rich guy
Great restaurant
Expensive wines
Large bill
Large tip

Everyone left happy. Customers seemed hella satisfied.

Why is GAF complaining? Envious much? It's his money and it's the other guy's restaurant. No one forced anyone to do anything. If any of you think they can open a restaurant where they can charge $40 for spaghetti then do it. It involves a lot of work to get there and build up a reputation like that.

And if I were rich I would treat myself to meals like that.
The main issue for me is that Nello's is actually a horrible restaurant. If you really wanted the best NYC has to offer and were willing to drop the bank to do so, Le Bernardin, Per Se, Jean Georges, Masa, Kurumazushi, Eleven Madison Park, Corton etc, etc, etc have infinitely better food at the same (or higher) price range. Nello's is simply a celebrity death trap that caters to deadbeats. And if you REALLY wanted to spend an obscene amount on French wine, most of the restaurants I mentioned will have DRC La Tâche and Pétrus on their wine lists with a much more accomplished sommelier staff and a better temperature-controlled cellar.

Besides, if you're looking for the best simple spaghetti in NYC, Scarpetta is the first choice. Their spaghetti with tomato and basil transports me straight to sun-drenched Tuscany.

Zeppu

Hcbk0702 said:
The main issue for me is that Nello's is actually a horrible restaurant. If you really wanted the best NYC has to offer and were willing to drop the bank to do so, Le Bernardin, Per Se, Jean Georges, Masa, Kurumazushi, Eleven Madison Park, Corton etc, etc, etc have infinitely better food at the same (or higher) price range. Nello's is simply a celebrity death trap that caters to deadbeats. And if you REALLY wanted to spend an obscene amount on French wine, most of the restaurants I mentioned will have DRC La Tâche and Pétrus on their wine lists with a much more accomplished sommelier staff and a better temperature-controlled cellar.

Besides, if you're looking for the best simple spaghetti in NYC, Scarpetta is the first choice. Their spaghetti with tomato and basil transports me straight to sun-drenched Tuscany.

Being Mediterranean when I'm looking for the best simple spaghetti I go outside and pick any restaurant. Or an quick trip to Tuscany/Sicily if necessary. Abramovtch tends to agree with me on this one since his yacht is often docked 10 mins away from where I live.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This kind of shit is why I am totally opposed to bailouts for people like this. I'm sure my tax dollars paid for the water. Great....

Slavik81

automagnus said:
I think I'm more appalled by the 12$ water than anything
Nothing in the bill came anywhere near the wine...
If you exclude the wine, the bill was 12K for 10 people, which, while quite expensive, is hardly unbelievable.

Aegus said:
In this thread people complain about a man who spends his billions of $ on stuff instead of hoarding it some inane reason.

It'll trickle down to us plebs eventually!
Probably not
This is a story about how wealth trickled down the a restaurant owner and his staff...

I hope that if I ever have money to burn like he does that I'll still be happy at Burger King. Spending money just because you have it is for the birds.

Aselith

Slavik81 said:
Nothing in the bill came anywhere near the wine...
If you exclude the wine, the bill was 12K for 10 people, which, while quite expensive, is hardly unbelievable.

Yeah but it's water. I mean what the fuck?

Big-E

Why are people outraged at the cost for water? Ever go to a restaurant and ask for sparkling mineral water? It is what it costs. Sometimes I wonder if GAF eats at restaurants outside of Chipotle and In N Out.

Hcbk0702 said:

Someone get this junior a tag.

Grecco

That better be the best calamari ever at 20 bucks a pop. I had a real good plate in spain 5 years ago and it wasnt even half that.

atkbob

Banned
Aselith said:
Yeah but it's water. I mean what the fuck?
But it was a large water. For all we know, it could've been one bottle for 12 people, which makes it $1.20 a person, which is less expensive than most vending machines.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
How About No said:
If I ever get rich I swear to myself I'll still eat KFC and Sun Chips.

Your username is the perfect reaction to what you just said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom