• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Ronda Rousey Is a Man Amongst Women" says former UFC HW Champ, Brock Lesnar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayis

I have issues with the word choice despite the fact I know he meant no harm, or is that not on the list of aproved things anti-pc warriors believe I can have problems with?

I could defeat Rousey via seduction.
OEGSPFi.gif

EDIT: Had to make a fitting GIF since the original one wasn't the right Zoidberg moment.

She'd armbar me within 30 seconds.

braves01

Banned
It seems like a cunning slight by Brock. Take a shot at her femininity but keep it close enough to a compliment that she can't really call him out on it without looking bad. Probably a trick Lesnar picked up in the WWE.

zeemumu

He could've worded that better. Title made it sound like he was bagging on her the same way people bag on the Williams sisters.

PSqueak

Banned
Basically he said "she's on a league of her own" in the most poorly worded way possible for this day and age.

I understand he didn't mean it as an insult, and this is a sort of sport where men would have advantage over women of the same class, yes, Rousey would beat up basically 60% of the world male population on a fight, fighting her male counterpart tho? if she could win, she would be overcoming disadvantages (i mean, let's not pretend there aren't biological differences between the sexes), and what Lesnar tried to say (but came off in the most sexist sounding way) is, she's too much for her division, much like he himself feels too much for his.

So what he's saying is....men are...traditionally....generally.....physically stronger than their female counterparts....so....saying she's a man is like.....a compliment?...,, TWATATWIST!!

beasty

This. Lol at anybody digging deeper than that.

If I had any sort of fame, I would scared to ever say anything. I cant imagine the feeling making a poorly worded statement and then experiencing that avalanche of negative accusations and overblown responses from people. Sometimes the responses are far more worse than what was actually said.

Velcro Fly

he's clearly meaning it to be a compliment

it's just awkwardly phrased by a guy who has a history of saying borderline things

he's clearly meaning it to be a compliment

it's just awkwardly phrased by a guy who has a history of saying borderline things

how is "i don't like gays, write that in your little notebook" borderline? He's pretty upfront.

And yes. Of course he meant it as a compliment. Everyone who says "You're pretty good...for a girl." means it as a compliment. The thing is, though, is that it's a really shitty compliment that's saying "your entire gender is pretty awful but you're the exception!"

If he didn't mean it to come out that way, he did a poor job of making sure of that.

Velcro Fly

I don't think he's saying pretty good for a girl at all. He's saying she's dominating the women's division but that there isn't enough competition for her to leave a lasting legacy beyond destroying people in 30 seconds. Had he not used the word man no one would be saying shit at all. He never once suggests she should fight men or that she wouldn't be able to fight men. We're putting words in his mouth and meaning to words that just isn't there.

I don't really see how it's a problem to point out how males are better than females at athletic competition. It's why they compete in separate categories, after all. When I was a teenager (14 years old), we scrimmaged the women's national soccer team twice and beat them handily both times, and we were only the western regional team--not the national one.

I don't think he's saying pretty good for a girl at all. He's saying she's dominating the women's division but that there isn't enough competition for her to leave a lasting legacy beyond destroying people in 30 seconds. Had he not used the word man no one would be saying shit at all. He never once suggests she should fight men or that she wouldn't be able to fight men. We're putting words in his mouth and meaning to words that just isn't there.
Saying that she has no competition in the division is just fine. Saying that she's a "man among women" is sexist.

I don't really see how it's a problem to point out how males are better than females at athletic competition. It's why they compete in separate categories, after all. When I was a teenager (14 years old), we scrimmaged the women's national soccer team twice and beat them handily both times, and we were only the western regional team--not the national one.

cool

Yopis

Shhhhhhh this is neogaf everything is equal all the time or your evil.

Male top-level athletes are superior to female top-level athletes in the same field, and men, in general, are superior athletes to women, in general.

If there's one field of human endeavor in which "pretty good/great, for a girl" is 100% apropos, so apropos that it's hard to see offense to the contrary as much other than PC silliness, it's athletics. Rousey could beat the shit out of a great many men on the street, but she'd be absolutely clobbered into oblivion by the vast majority of mid-level male MMA fighters even in her own weight class, let alone any above her.

At a peak competitive level where everyone is almost at the same skill ceiling relative to the rest of the population, there is a difference between sexes like that between weight classes, but further complicated by differences in muscle mass, etc.

So I guess a cretin like Lesner might say what he said as a big compliment, that she would be competitive against male fighters essentially.

Not a story worth that much thought really.

dream

Did he ever said that Anderson Silva or Jon Jones in their primes are "man amonst women" ?

No, but I think that's the point Brock's making here. The pinnacle of combat sports, in terms of experience and competitiveness, is currently and almost exclusively in the men's division.

Zaptruder

Banned
That male top-level athletes are superior to female top-level athletes in the same field, and men, in general, are superior athletes to women, in general.

If there's one field of human endeavor in which "pretty good/great, for a girl" is 100% apropos, so apropos that it's hard to see offense to the contrary as much other than PC silliness, it's athletics. Rousey could beat the shit out of a great many men on the street, but she'd be absolutely clobbered into oblivion by the vast majority of mid-level male MMA fighters even in her own weight class, let alone any above her.

Seriously, as dominant as the Williams sisters are, they lost to a man ranked around 800.

To say that Rousey is so dominant in her field so as to be like a man in the woman's division is an excellent compliment from an inarticulate and insensitive fool.

VoxPop

Lol, Brock should not be talking about weak divisions. He was in one himself and got absolutely wrecked when he wasn't fighting a 45 year old 205 lbs man or Frank Mir.

But he's right. Rousey is in by far the weakest division in the UFC. Her striking is a joke and doesn't look like she can take a punch. Lets see how she does when she's matched up with a man in Cyborg.

ZigzagShamelessGreendarnerdragonfly%2B(1).gif

11_Cris_Cyborg_vs._Fiona_Muxlow_1.gif

Cris_Cyborg_vs_Jennifer_Colomb.gif

not this

Bethe-Correia.gif

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
He was effusively praising her and pretty clearly mispoke the phrase "man amongst boys", can't believe the shit people get upset about.

Did he ever said that Anderson Silva or Jon Jones in their primes are "man amonst women" ?

No, because that wouldn't have made sense, whereas what Lesnar is saying - that Rousey is a higher-level fighter in a division of fighters significantly inferior to their opposite sex counterparts, an inferiority almost totally due to athletic limitations directly caused by their sex - makes perfect sense. It's arguably insensitive, though I'd question the emotional fortitude of someone who got more than the slightest twinge of annoyance at it, but it's true, nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom